Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Question For Those In The Know

Started by The NewEra, November 12, 2017, 08:34:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

Rice, you're probably one that knows the answer to this, but anyone who does, please chime in.

Since the Foundation pays the bulk of salaries, incentives, etc., to highly paid athletic employees, just how much say do they have in negotiating contracts, what individuals get hired?  Example, If Jeff Long wanted to hire someone as head coach, can the Razorback Foundation say, NO, that's not a guy we want?  I'm real curious to how those negotiations work and who has what power of the foundation purse.

Thanks in advance!

NuttinItUp

First they hold a séance and consult the ghost of Frank Broyles.

sowmonella

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 08:34:12 am
Rice, you're probably one that knows the answer to this, but anyone who does, please chime in.

Since the Foundation pays the bulk of salaries, incentives, etc., to highly paid athletic employees, just how much say do they have in negotiating contracts, what individuals get hired?  Example, If Jeff Long wanted to hire someone as head coach, can the Razorback Foundation say, NO, that's not a guy we want?  I'm real curious to how those negotiations work and who has what power of the foundation purse.

Thanks in advance!

That's a good question. I doubt they have much influence at all.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 08:34:12 am

Thanks in advance!

Well.......I've heard it both ways, supposedly the RF(money people) nixed one of his choices in 2008, but I also heard that it was a contract with no name on it for the last hire, either yes or no, but no name attached to it. I'm sure the director and chairman know what's to be paid, and to whom, but I think the AD and the university's legal counsel do the contract framework.

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 08:46:43 am
Well.......I've heard it both ways, supposedly the RF(money people) nixed one of his choices in 2008, but I also heard that it was a contract with no name on it for the last hire, either yes or no, but no name attached to it. I'm sure the director and chairman know what's to be paid, and to whom, but I think the AD and the university's legal counsel do the contract framework.

That's a bit concerning (the blank contract approach).  I can see where many big money contributors might be enraged to that arrogant display of power alone. 

farmhawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 08:46:43 am
Facts? Link?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Sundog

LAGNAF

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 08:56:40 am
That's a bit concerning (the blank contract approach).  I can see where many big money contributors might be enraged to that arrogant display of power alone. 

So the arrogant display of power should only belong to the big money folks who contribute heavily to the foundation?

PonderinHog

That was then.  This is now.  The situation is viscous...

The NewEra

Quote from: LAGNAF on November 12, 2017, 09:07:03 am
So the arrogant display of power should only belong to the big money folks who contribute heavily to the foundation?

The foundation, who pays most of the compensation should have a say in who their money is going to.  That's sharing the power.

TebowHater

The Foundation has no say. They just write the checks.

The only way they would have say is indirectly, through the Good Ole Boy Network of boosters, however, as we know, that has been dead since JL has been here. He makes the calls, they write the checks.

The NewEra

Quote from: TebowHater on November 12, 2017, 09:14:50 am
The Foundation has no say. They just write the checks.

The only way they would have say is indirectly, through the Good Ole Boy Network of boosters, however, as we know, that has been dead since JL has been here. He makes the calls, they write the checks.

That's the best case I've seen for bringing a change to the AD position.

TebowHater

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 09:17:18 am
That's the best case I've seen for bringing a change to the AD position.

To have the people with money make the decisions? So we can hire Butch? Or better yet, Gus? Jw how that is better (no sarcasm)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 09:13:46 am
The foundation, who pays most of the compensation should have a say in who their money is going to.  That's sharing the power.

Someone needs to intervene and assure that Long doesn't get to go entirely by his own personal criteria in making the next hire of a HC. I don't want an Art Briles from a character standpoint but I also don't want a Bielema or John L. Smith from a schematic standpoint.
Go Hogs Go!

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Sundog on November 12, 2017, 09:05:58 am
None.  Spitballing, just like errrbody else does.

Rice ain't spitballing.

Rice actually knows

PRJ

greenie

Quote from: farmhawg on November 12, 2017, 08:57:22 am
Facts? Link?

He said "I've heard" and "I think". Rice is a straight shooter. Take it with a grain of rice. :-)

Regardless, if this really happened, I have no problem with that. Nothing is worse than having a job with responsibility but no authority, i.e. If you're going to hold me responsible for a hire, you better give me the authority to choose the hire. Doing most things by committee is problematic. With that in mind, putting together a contract with a salary and details, but with no name, and then submitting that for approval seems like a smart move to me.  In that way you're just asking "i want to be able to make a hire with up to this in salary and with these contractual points".  Not attaching a specific name makes that a much cleaner process. Now the AD knows what he's armed with.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 12, 2017, 09:21:02 am
Someone needs to intervene and assure that Long doesn't get to go entirely by his own personal criteria in making the next hire of a HC. I don't want an Art Briles from a character standpoint but I also don't want a Bielema or John L. Smith from a schematic standpoint.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks there should be a consensus agreement between the AD and the Foundation when so much is at stake.

The NewEra

Quote from: greenie on November 12, 2017, 09:23:45 am
He said "I've heard" and "I think". Rice is a straight shooter. Take it with a grain of rice. :-)

Regardless, if this really happened, I have no problem with that. Nothing is worse than having a job with responsibility but no authority, i.e. If you're going to hold me responsible for a hire, you better give me the authority to choose the hire. Doing most things by committee is problematic. With that in mind, putting together a contract with a salary and details, but with no name, and then submitting that for approval seems like a smart move to me.  In that way you're just asking "i want to be able to make a hire with up to this in salary and with these contractual points".  Not attaching a specific name makes that a much cleaner process. Now the AD knows what he's armed with.

No one operates in a vacuum.  Everyone has a boss they need to get approval from with any hire of significant importance.  That's why people interviewing for high level position's don't interview with the hiring authority only, but with that person's superior too.  If you have the authority and want to place your career on that hire, then you need to be able to sell it to the powers that be.

ricepig

farmhawg

Quote from: Sundog on November 12, 2017, 09:05:58 am
None.  Spitballing, just like errrbody else does.
Yep, pretty hypocritical when always trying to discredit everyone else.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

TebowHater

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 09:24:09 am
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks there should be a consensus agreement between the AD and the Foundation when so much is at stake.

I am not sure the Foundation is the right group. The Foundation is made up of fundraisers. That has basically nothing to do with running a successful athletics department and certainly not in hiring football coaches. I am not sure what would be the right move, but perhaps having some sort of standing search committee/board made up of Razorback greats and other good minds who could advise / sign off on hires would be a better option (Jerry Jones, Johnson, DVH, etc.). Just brainstorming here

And if by Foundation you just mean a proxy for doing what their few big-money people want, that would be an even worse situation. We don't want our hire steered by personal friendships or vendettas.

The NewEra

Quote from: TebowHater on November 12, 2017, 09:33:32 am
I am not sure the Foundation is the right group. The Foundation is made up of fundraisers. That has basically nothing to do with running a successful athletics department and certainly not in hiring football coaches. I am not sure what would be the right move, but perhaps having some sort of standing search committee/board made up of Razorback greats and other good minds who could advise / sign off on hires would be a better option (Jerry Jones, Johnson, DVH, etc.). Just brainstorming here

And if by Foundation you just mean a proxy for doing what their few big-money people want, that would be an even worse situation. We don't want our hire steered by personal friendships or vendettas.

I'm on board with a search committee of former greats.  I'm just uncomfortable with JL alone making the next hire without oversight and consensus. 

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 09:30:10 am

No one operates in a vacuum.  Everyone has a boss they need to get approval from with any hire of significant importance.  That's why people interviewing for high level position's don't interview with the hiring authority only, but with that person's superior too.  If you have the authority and want to place your career on that hire, then you need to be able to sell it to the powers that be.

So you want an official committee, and like reports up a chain of command? There's a reason coaches are hired without ever stepping foot on the campus that hires them. They already have a job, they don't want to lose that one of they aren't chosen. You can't have a bunch of people discussing candidates at the university level, just think of the leaks. Also, Bobbitt and Steinmetz don't have time to be running around to different airports meeting with agents and candidates, there's a reason they have an AD. Now, does that person need carte blanche, nope, but you also don't need a GOB from every county pushing his coach. I don't know what the perfect setup is, a few trusted alums would be my way, but they won't ever ask me.

hassettsportsman

Transitions are complex.  One thing is for sure...Long isn't welcome in most foursomes in LR now.  Not quite Caddyshackesque yet, but getting very close.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm not saying the Foundation, I'm just for "someone" having some oversight/steerage/guidance of the next hire. I'm sure that some of the things that Long takes into consideration in terms of character and the like are good, but he doesn't place enough value on the winning part of the equation. We need to focus on hiring someone with the right offensive and defensive schemes that are able to recruit well to those schemes at Arkansas and that isn't going to be someone who embraces a Pro Style Offense.
Go Hogs Go!

greenie

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 09:30:10 am

I don't know how this works anymore than you, and of course it doesn't operate in a vacuum...a smart leader will involve people he trusts in information gathering and possibly interviewing. I'm just saying that when it comes to a decision, one guy makes it. Otherwise holding him accountable for the hire is unjustified...everyone involved should share the blame in that case. Not trusting Long is another matter. I'm referring to how authority and accountability should be set up...with no relation to the Long argument.

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 09:40:30 am
So you want an official committee, and like reports up a chain of command? There's a reason coaches are hired without ever stepping foot on the campus that hires them. They already have a job, they don't want to lose that one of they aren't chosen. You can't have a bunch of people discussing candidates at the university level, just think of the leaks. Also, Bobbitt and Steinmetz don't have time to be running around to different airports meeting with agents and candidates, there's a reason they have an AD. Now, does that person need carte blanche, nope, but you also don't need a GOB from every county pushing his coach. I don't know what the perfect setup is, a few trusted alums would be my way, but they won't ever ask me.

You and I are in total agreement, and highlighted above is my key point.

bvillepig

I heard straight from a foundation member they refused to write the check for Grobe. 
He then did his little withdrawal speech for the media. I have no reason to doubt this happened.  He also had little regard for Long.

We have lost touch over the years mainly because of age and our business have gone separate ways. I would love to talk to him about the fiasco going on now. 

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 12, 2017, 09:43:23 am
I'm not saying the Foundation, I'm just for "someone" having some oversight/steerage/guidance of the next hire. I'm sure that some of the things that Long takes into consideration in terms of character and the like are good, but he doesn't place enough value on the winning part of the equation. We need to focus on hiring someone with the right offensive and defensive schemes that are able to recruit well to those schemes at Arkansas and that isn't going to be someone who embraces a Pro Style Offense.

Point taken on the Foundation. I used the Foundation loosely for oversight, since this thread is about my not really knowing how they work.  You're opinion appears to be shared with many on here about the need to focus on a winnable coach without sacrificing what's right with the program.

The NewEra

Quote from: greenie on November 12, 2017, 09:44:07 am
I don't know how this works anymore than you, and of course it doesn't operate in a vacuum...a smart leader will involve people he trusts in information gathering and possibly interviewing. I'm just saying that when it comes to a decision, one guy makes it. Otherwise holding him accountable for the hire is unjustified...everyone involved should share the blame in that case. Not trusting Long is another matter. I'm referring to how authority and accountability should be set up...with no relation to the Long argument.

I understand where you're coming from.

ricepig

Quote from: bvillepig on November 12, 2017, 09:46:10 am
I heard straight from a foundation member they refused to write the check for Grobe. 
He then did his little withdrawal speech for the media. I have no reason to doubt this happened.  He also had little regard for Long.

We have lost touch over the years mainly because of age and our business have gone separate ways. I would love to talk to him about the fiasco going on now. 

I assume by Foundation member, you're talking about being on the Foundation's board. For the most part, those guys don't have a lot of influence or say, but they have put their foot down on some requests, for sure.

HawgPound

I'm not sure why everyone is so uncomfortable with Long making the next hire. If they say it is because of the John L fiasco I  can agree. However, Bielema looked like a homerun hire. The guy had a proven resume and almost everyone from fans to national media thought it was a homerun hire. Hindsight of course shows it did not work out. Now, if Long continues to try and keep Bielema on after this year I think we have a problem.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: greenie on November 12, 2017, 09:44:07 am

I don't think that Petrino was a hire that Long wanted to make, but he did. Someone above Long obviously had some influence over who was hired at that time which was probably why, when that turned out the way that it did, that Long may have used that as leverage to make his own unsupervised (not interfered with) hire of Bielema. Now that his hire has cratered, I would think that this hire might be more of a "team effort" regardless of the fact that officially and for the record, it will be a Jeff Long hire, provided of course that he is still here to make the hire.
Go Hogs Go!

Boardon Hamsay

You lost Hogvile with "in the know". There's a very small number of folks here that may have an "in" with a big booster, mid/lower tier athletic dept associates, or a connection with someone on the BOT. Even then, you are not getting the "in the know".

What we have here are some situations that a few folks would like to see happen (I.e. big boosters wanting to regain influence from the GOBN days). Unfortunately, what they want to see happen does not always equal the vision of those that actually make decisions. Stressing over this stuff or trying to get real "in the know" info is not only like being beaten with the same stick over and over again, but also handing that stick to the person who beats you.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

hawgon

I doubt Long has much more to do with the next hire than making the introduction at the PC.  And it might not even be that much.

cram224

To be on the RF Board, I think, you have to be nominated by the AD. The Foundation members only vote on the entire board. I have never been asked to vote on a single person yea or nay. The Foundation President is selected by the AD I'm pretty sure. Didn't JL fire or run off Chuck Dicus?

ricepig

Quote from: cram224 on November 12, 2017, 10:16:09 am
To be on the RF Board, I think, you have to be nominated by the AD. The Foundation members only vote on the entire board. I have never been asked to vote on a single person yea or nay. The Foundation President is selected by the AD I'm pretty sure. Didn't JL fire or run off Chuck Dicus?

I'd say it's more that the AD wants his man as the Director of the Foundation, not as 100% he gets to choose him.

ur

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 10:25:58 am
I'd say it's more that the AD wants his man as the Director of the Foundation, not as 100% he gets to choose him.
So who will Gus choose as AD and Director of the Foundation when he is thrown the keys to the program? He's not coming back unless he has complete control so there isn't a repeat of the last time he was on campus.

ricepig

Quote from: ur on November 12, 2017, 10:31:33 am
So who will Gus choose as AD and Director of the Foundation when he is thrown the keys to the program? He's not coming back unless he has complete control so there isn't a repeat of the last time he was on campus.

Some of the Springdale mafia, for sure.

hehawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 12, 2017, 09:12:19 am
That was then.  This is now.  The situation is viscous...

thought it was fluid?
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

cram224

Ricepig, I know there was 3 or 4 people interested in the Board Presidents position but JL wanted Scott. I don't know if a vote was ever taken for the position.

hotdog hog

Quote from: TebowHater on November 12, 2017, 09:19:42 am
To have the people with money make the decisions? So we can hire Butch? Or better yet, Gus? Jw how that is better (no sarcasm)
Easy solution to me, I don't write the check. You want my money, then let me at least understand the direction. How many people go around spending money blindly?

hotdog hog

this^^^

tophawg19

The Foundation has a good bit to say . They have to Approve the money for the hiring .The contract Amount has to go through them. Although I doubt , unless it was an extreme amount that they would say No
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bvillepig

Quote from: ricepig on November 12, 2017, 09:58:04 am
I assume by Foundation member, you're talking about being on the Foundation's board. For the most part, those guys don't have a lot of influence or say, but they have put their foot down on some requests, for sure.
Rice  I trust what you say because a lot of it lined up with what I was hearing at the time.  Thats also why I trust what Porkatarian says.  There were others that decided to leave the board that had great info but took a lot of crap  from some members.

My business acquaintance was on the board and a very very close friend to coach Broyles and also Harold Horton. We didn't  talk much about important matters because I respected his position and we had other business to discuss.
However the 2006 and 2007 years were so filled with anger with what was going on in the background that we did talk some about football in confidence. He was not happy with Long nor John White but that is another story.  I found out enough during that time period to form an opinion on Jeff Long. That was a long time ago. Over the years my opinion has not changed much.  It is however just my opinion and it doesn't matter much what I think.

His grand stand handling of the BP firing in my opinion was not professional and uncalled for. I have no problem with him choosing to fire him although I would have maybe gone a different direction. I do have a problem with how he used it is a platform for self. 

In some ways it reminded me of something John White said in an interview during Nolan's law suit.  I don't remember the exact words but he implied that he told the media certain things to lead the story or outcome to a certain point. If what he said was a lie it really wasn't meant to be like that but I will manipulate people of inferior intellect to the conclusion I want. I don't know Long or White personally but I do have a lot of respect for the man that was on the foundation board.   

I am anxious for a new era to begin. One without Long and one with people that know and love what Razorback pride is. I have no problem with a gobn as long as they have the heart and soul of what it means to be a razorback.

ricepig

Quote from: cram224 on November 12, 2017, 10:47:56 am
Ricepig, I know there was 3 or 4 people interested in the Board Presidents position but JL wanted Scott. I don't know if a vote was ever taken for the position.

Oh, I doubt there was ever a vote, and I assume you mean Executive Director of the RF.

ricepig

Quote from: bvillepig on November 12, 2017, 11:38:33 am
Rice  I trust what you say because a lot of it lined up with what I was hearing at the time.  Thats also why I trust what Porkatarian says.  There were others that decided to leave the board that had great info but took a lot of crap  from some members.

My business acquaintance was on the board and a very very close friend to coach Broyles and also Harold Horton. We didn't  talk much about important matters because I respected his position and we had other business to discuss.
However the 2006 and 2007 years were so filled with anger with what was going on in the background that we did talk some about football in confidence. He was not happy with Long nor John White but that is another story.  I found out enough during that time period to form an opinion on Jeff Long. That was a long time ago. Over the years my opinion has not changed much.  It is however just my opinion and it doesn't matter much what I think.

His grand stand handling of the BP firing in my opinion was not professional and uncalled for. I have no problem with him choosing to fire him although I would have maybe gone a different direction. I do have a problem with how he used it is a platform for self. 

In some ways it reminded me of something John White said in an interview during Nolan's law suit.  I don't remember the exact words but he implied that he told the media certain things to lead the story or outcome to a certain point. If what he said was a lie it really wasn't meant to be like that but I will manipulate people of inferior intellect to the conclusion I want. I don't know Long or White personally but I do have a lot of respect for the man that was on the foundation board.   

I am anxious for a new era to begin. One without Long and one with people that know and love what Razorback pride is. I have no problem with a gobn as long as they have the heart and soul of what it means to be a razorback.

Must have been in 2008, because Long wasn't hired until then, although I can fully understand why one would have been having talks about White in 2006-2007. I tired of all the drama, but we probably have a little more to play out. I've had a few former fraternity brothers serve on the board and still have one and a cousin's husband, they typically don't know anymore about what is going on than the typical HV poster, I think they keep them in the dark on purpose.

BR

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 12, 2017, 10:08:02 am
You lost Hogvile with “in the know”. There’s a very small number of folks here that may have an “in” with a big booster, mid/lower tier athletic dept associates, or a connection with someone on the BOT. Even then, you are not getting the “in the know”.

What we have here are some situations that a few folks would like to see happen (I.e. big boosters wanting to regain influence from the GOBN days). Unfortunately, what they want to see happen does not always equal the vision of those that actually make decisions. Stressing over this stuff or trying to get real “in the know” info is not only like being beaten with the same stick over and over again, but also handing that stick to the person who beats you.
100% agree with this..........  Way too many people on here that like to try and blow smoke up everyone... They might guess it and post and then they have a lucky guess.  BUT, forever more they act like they had inside info....   
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ipigsooie

Quote from: BR on November 12, 2017, 12:20:01 pm
100% agree with this..........  Way too many people on here that like to try and blow smoke up everyone... They might guess it and post and then they have a lucky guess.  BUT, forever more they act like they had inside info....

Exactly. And they hate to be called out. Everyone yelling for Gus yesterday because they beat Georgia. "I'm hearing we are getting Gus." Or "those with money say gus is our #1 target."  Pretty much everyone with a pulse should know that the win against Georgia eliminated any glimmer of hope you had for gus. Auburn is stacked. They may win the conference this year and They will be better next year. No way gus is leaving and no way are they firing him. So anyone that claims to know the money or inside sources that are saying gus is our top target is someone getting old news or someone with wishful thinking.

ricepig

Quote from: BR on November 12, 2017, 12:20:01 pm

My sources say that you are on to something.