Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article on Mike Norvell choosing Arkansas over UF

Started by ipigsooie, November 01, 2017, 10:37:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 01, 2017, 10:50:38 am
If I were any up and coming coach I would choose Arkansas over Fla.  We have had a coach for nearly 5 yrs and he has a losing record.  We should part ways with CBB and make a play for Mike Norvell.  He is one of my top 3 picks for our job.
Exactly, The better job has to be Arkansas. Florida's Coach didn't make it thru his 3rd year after winning 2 divisional titles his first 2 years. Yes I know the East is not as strong as the West but if I was a candidate to become coach of either school that would scare the crap out of me, while Arkansas coach has a 11-26 record with at least a 5 million dollar buyout.
I love off season Football!!

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 01, 2017, 12:14:11 pm
Yep hiring any coach is basically a crap shoot.

I just marvel at those on here saying " Norvell is THE GUY " " Norvell is the next Urban" etc.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 12:11:15 pm
Nope but ive certainly never felt like it was an insult to abbreviate their names. I forget we live in a pc world where everyone gets butt hurt over everything. Sorry i insulted you, but hey, at least you have your choice of bathroom at Target!

PC has nothing to do with it, son.  If you were in my office looking for a job your tone would be different.  No big deal.  NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

Now that other posters have educated you, why don't you go back and edit the title to your thread? Ignorance can be excused. I enjoyed the article you posted.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 12:14:08 pm

Bring back the topic of this thread, just because Long doesn't get Norvell, does not mean Long failed.  But that doesn't fit some around here who are narrow minded and not too intelligent.
Depending on who he hires I can agree with you. If he were to hire say Matt Campbell then it's totally not a failure, but if he hires Grobe over Norvell, that in my opinion would be a failure. Again just my opinion.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hogsanity on November 01, 2017, 12:18:02 pm
I just marvel at those on here saying " Norvell is THE GUY " " Norvell is the next Urban" etc.
Ok then Who is the Guy?

FATHAWG08

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 01, 2017, 11:02:58 am
Georgia seems poised to dominate the East for the foreseeable future.  No school has the built in recruiting advantages Georgia has.
It's crazy what Kirby has done without any Head Coaching experience. There is no right way to hire the right coach. It's a roll of the dice with every hire.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 01, 2017, 12:21:15 pm
Depending on who he hires I can agree with you. If he were to hire say Matt Campbell then it's totally not a failure, but if he hires Grobe over Norvell, that in my opinion would be a failure. Again just my opinion.

Haha, I think everyone would agree wtih your opinion

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on November 01, 2017, 12:23:02 pm
It's crazy what Kirby has done without any Head Coaching experience. There is no right way to hire the right coach. It's a roll of the dice with every hire.

Kirby was left Sony Michel, Nick Chubb and Jacob Eason was already committed although thought about following Richt to Miami.  Fromm is from in state.  The nation's #1 player in the current class is a qb from Ga.  Kirby is doing an excellent job recruiting.  But this is a job where a lot of coaches would have success especially right now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on November 01, 2017, 12:23:02 pm
Georgia is a completely different animal. Richt had Georgia competing at a high level most years, and left a stocked up roster. Kirby was under some fire last year and the fans were calling for the head of Chaney and to some extent Pittman. But what a difference a year can make. Kirby may be the next Saban and win multiple Championships , but we have to let it play out a bit to know just how good of a hire he is.Richt won a lot of games , but couldn't get them over the championship hump. Let's see if Kirby can do that before anointing him as the next great coach.

Redhogs

Quote from: elksnort on November 01, 2017, 12:07:46 pm
You beat me to it, which is no great feat.

I agree. Norvell seems like he might be a great fit, but this just his second year at Memphis. Is his resume good enough yet?

On the other hand, we hired a guy that looked like a home run and well....We know how that turned out.
Bingo.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 12:28:55 pm
Kirby was left Sony Michel, Nick Chubb and Jacob Eason was already committed although thought about following Richt to Miami.  Fromm is from in state.  The nation's #1 player in the current class is a qb from Ga.  Kirby is doing an excellent job recruiting.  But this is a job where a lot of coaches would have success especially right now.
I agree it is one of the best jobs in College Football. But Georgia was not hung up on hiring a coach without any Head Coaching experience. They hired the person they thought was best for the job.The people on here are saying we should  hire a coach with more experience than Norvell. I'm impressed with the comments made by Coach Graham of Arizona St. and Coach Fuentes of VT on Norvell's smarts and knowledge of the game. If the time comes for Arkansas to hire a New Coach, I'm  hopefull Norvell will get an interview and a  chance to impress the right people.

umpqua

Young. Relates to college athletes age group. Good recruiter. Married to a girl from FS. Went to college in Arkansas. Has a place on Beaver. He would be a fantastic fit at Arkansas.

We shouldn't wait until he's "established" himself. At that point he's very likely to have a buyout that we won't want to afford at someplace that isn't Memphis.

I supported Brett Bielema. Wanted it to work out but it didn't. Time to pay the buyout and move on.....after the Missouri game. Get it over with. 

Boarsnest

Pretty interesting that Norvell's name is coming up with Fl, TN, Ole Miss and other schools but he is not experienced enough for some of you. I would hope the PTB reach out to Campbell, Frost, Venables, Brohm and Morris to gauge interest in the job. IMO you have to also give Norvell a serious look. There is no guarantee with anyone that is hired and Saban ain't walking through the door. It will be a roll of the dice with any of them.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 01, 2017, 12:35:19 pm
Georgia is a completely different animal. Richt had Georgia competing at a high level most years, and left a stocked up roster. Kirby was under some fire last year and the fans were calling for the head of Chaney and to some extent Pittman. But what a difference a year can make. Kirby may be the next Saban and win multiple Championships , but we have to let it play out a bit to know just how good of a hire he is.Richt won a lot of games , but couldn't get them over the championship hump. Let's see if Kirby can do that before anointing him as the next great coach.
There are only a few that can be considered great. But right now he has surpassed anyone's expectations.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Boarsnest on November 01, 2017, 12:48:34 pm
Pretty interesting that Norvell's name is coming up with Fl, TN, Ole Miss and other schools but he is not experienced enough for some of you. I would hope the PTB reach out to Campbell, Frost, Venables, Brohm and Morris to gauge interest in the job. IMO you have to also give Norvell a serious look. There is no guarantee with anyone that is hired and Saban ain't walking through the door. It will be a roll of the dice with any of them.

Is there a reason that Venables name isnt coming up on any of the lists that the national writers are making for the schools that may have openings?  Why isnt his name getting more consideration?

311Hog

none of Saban's former assistants have been able to beat him so it will be interesting to see if Kirby can change that.  GA is definitely loaded and one of a hand full or programs where the program could be top 5 with just instate kids.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on November 01, 2017, 12:49:04 pm
There are only a few that can be considered great. But right now he has surpassed anyone's expectations.
I respectfully disagree. They fired a coach who had done what Kirby has done so far. It is going to take more for UGA to consider it a success. Again I'm not saying he won't , but by UGA standards he's not there yet.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: umpqua on November 01, 2017, 12:46:40 pm
Young. Relates to college athletes age group. Good recruiter. Married to a girl from FS. Went to college in Arkansas. Has a place on Beaver. He would be a fantastic fit at Arkansas.

We shouldn't wait until he's "established" himself. At that point he's very likely to have a buyout that we won't want to afford at someplace that isn't Memphis.

I supported Brett Bielema. Wanted it to work out but it didn't. Time to pay the buyout and move on.....after the Missouri game. Get it over with.
I agree. If he has this much interest in the Arkansas job we should feel lucky. The Arkansas job can't look too enticing to any established Coach based off the last 6 years but if we can  get the right coach with our facilities and resources we can compete in the SEC.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 11:42:45 am
I didnt know it was disrespectful to use the term "arky" for arkansas. I guess i better be careful when referring to okie as oklahoma or mizzou as missouri or tenner for tennessee. Im sorry i wasnt pc enough for you snowflake.

It makes you sound like a fan of LSU or MST
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Boarsnest

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 12:52:56 pm
Is there a reason that Venables name isnt coming up on any of the lists that the national writers are making for the schools that may have openings?  Why isnt his name getting more consideration?

Great observation, I'm not sure maybe someone will chime in.

Tweeter

Why not Venables?  He's a defensive guy and i think to be successful in the west you have to have a defensive minded coach.  Just my opinion.

311Hog

I didnt know it was disrespectful to use the term "arky" for arkansas. I guess i better be careful when referring to okie as oklahoma or mizzou as missouri or tenner for tennessee. Im sorry i wasnt pc enough for you snowflake.

it is, i have never met a Hog fan that likes the "arky" or "arkie" moniker or uses it for that matter.

it is like saying ark    kansas

wildturkey8

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 11:38:29 am
By my standards, Florida is a better job.  The type that doesn't come along very often in most careers.  Do you run "home" instead at 36 to pass that up?  Maybe he would. 
It is really, I think Georgia is much better.

ipigsooie

Ironhawg

You are definitely not a Hog fan. 

311Hog

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 01, 2017, 01:13:09 pm
It is really, I think Georgia is much better.

IMHO it is hard for "all" the florida schools to be good at the same time.  It maybe time for Florida to sink back to the position it held before spurrier and myer, or it could maintain and return as it seems like FSU is also sinking and Miami maybe returning to glory.

PygmalionEffect2

I'll swap a coach with a lot of experience losing, for a coach with a little bit of experience winning.

All day, everyday.

Don't put much weight into my coaching hire opinion though,

I have to confess, I don't know much about Norvell, just saw a picture of him and saw that he wasn't fat and thought,

sign him up.

Like Jeff, coaching hires is not my area of expertise.

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

HogCzar1

Quote from: smb on November 01, 2017, 11:44:41 am
For Norvell being an Arkansas native is desired. But would he even want the job?

Yes. If you listen to Memphis radio, they have been mentioning this all fall.

hogsolutely

You want a guy who has ties like this an has been successful were ever he has been.  If his destination job is the Razorbacks I say go get him he young he has energy so he will set the recruiting trail on fire!  I'm sold on Norvell or Campbell.  Lets make it happen! get it done.  Because ANYTHING has to be better than what we have! 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Boarsnest on November 01, 2017, 12:48:34 pm

Ahh so the talking heads are always right arent they?  They said Bielema was a HOME RUN/GRAND SLAM hire!!!! 

To not bash Norvell in any way, he is just the flavor of the month.  He will get a bigger better job most likely after this year, but as a reporter needing to write an article or needing clicks, he is a lazy choice, an easy choice, to write a piece on at this moment. 

His big win that put him on this map was a win over UCLA at home, well UCLA proves to suck this year.  He put up 70 on UConn, well Uconn is not any good either.   

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogsanity on November 01, 2017, 12:18:02 pm
Apparently the only guy more popular than the backup quarterback is the coach we don't have. 

311Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 01, 2017, 01:20:45 pm
Apparently the only guy more popular than the backup quarterback is the coach we don't have. 
or any coach at any level with any modicum of success that has even a wiff of a tie to the state of Arkansas.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: presidenthog on November 01, 2017, 11:48:55 am
Only outsiders use the term arky, or people who are not fans of arkansas. We do not use it for that reason. Tenner is the equivalent and okie is as well btw. If you are not from there it is fine but locals do not use the term.

My mom  is 83, she has told me all my life we are Arkys. She was born and raised here.

EastexHawg

Quote from: elviscat on November 01, 2017, 10:56:23 am
We can't let JL screw this up. He wants to be a Razorback and we need to make it happen.

Gee, if only there was a way to be sure Jeff Long won't screw up our next coaching hire.  Hmmm...what could it be...?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 01, 2017, 01:14:35 pm
You are definitely not a Hog fan. 

My conclusion as well.  Signed up Oct. 9.  Doesn't write like an exile with a new account.  Probably a blogger/on-line wannabe "journalist" trying to guage fanbase interest in Norvell.  Thought "Arky" would ingratiate himself with Razorbacks fans.  Wrong.  It's the term visiting trolls use to create ire.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

311Hog

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on November 01, 2017, 01:23:22 pm
My mom  is 83, she has told me all my life we are Arkys. She was born and raised here.

does she do the wolf hog call to?

ipigsooie

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 01:17:04 pm
Ahh so the talking heads are always right arent they?  They said Bielema was a HOME RUN/GRAND SLAM hire!!!! 

To not bash Norvell in any way, he is just the flavor of the month.  He will get a bigger better job most likely after this year, but as a reporter needing to write an article or needing clicks, he is a lazy choice, an easy choice, to write a piece on at this moment. 

His big win that put him on this map was a win over UCLA at home, well UCLA proves to suck this year.  He put up 70 on UConn, well Uconn is not any good either.

These are what elevated his status but he was already a known commodity. You can only beat the teams you play and he has done a good job with this. This happens every year, the flavor of the month. Herman was this last year, and this year it is Frost and Norvell.   Its always a crap shoot. I just hope we win big when we shoot!

SpaCityHawg

311Hog

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on November 01, 2017, 01:30:15 pm
That all you got?

i am just teasing man, of course it isn't a 100% thing but are you really trying to say that the epitaph "Arkie" or "Arky" is one of endearment to this fan base? yes or no

i mean my 89 year old grandma living in NLR would slap the taste out of my mouth if i used the abbreviation...

onebadrubi

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 01:28:45 pm
These are what elevated his status but he was already a known commodity. You can only beat the teams you play and he has done a good job with this. This happens every year, the flavor of the month. Herman was this last year, and this year it is Frost and Norvell.   Its always a crap shoot. I just hope we win big when we shoot!

If it's just wins then why don't we hire the UCA coach?  He's beating who he is playing...

EastexHawg

Gonzo

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 01, 2017, 11:47:56 am
Some people are more sensitive to the "Arky"thing than others. I do know that it is used a lot by other schools fans when they are trying to be derogatory towards us. To me it's not a huge deal, but I get why some don't like it.

Not that they are really the same thing, and it's probably a bit odd, but being called an Arkie, as opposed to an Arkansan, has never bothered me, yet I consider the term Arky in reference to the University or state disrespectful, as most UA fans seem to.  Never gets contentious, but I have friends who will try to give me grief with it though they understand I will normally not even acknowledge any comment about some place or team called Arky since I don't recognize one, hah

Go Hogs!

Adam Stokes

I came in to say to pump the breaks, as he has only been a D-I coach for two years and is riding on Fuente's recruits. I decided to look back at Memphis' last couple classes to prove my point.

Norvell's completed classes:

59 - 2017
61 - 2016

Fuente's Classes:

77 - 2015
78 - 2014
90 - 2013
92 - 2012

Oops. Guess Norvell can hold his own.

Would love if he's been able to grow some Memphis HS ties in the short time he's been over there. I think he could use another year at Memphis but he is on a lot of lists. Hopefully he can hold out for another year, as it isn't out of the question that we split between LSU & MSU and go bowling. I think that would be enough for Bret to hold his spot for another year while lowering the buyout.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: 311Hog on November 01, 2017, 01:31:26 pm
i am just teasing man, of course it isn't a 100% thing but are you really trying to say that the epitaph "Arkie" or "Arky" is one of endearment to this fan base? yes or no

i mean my 89 year old grandma living in NLR would slap the taste out of my mouth if i used the abbreviation...

I guess I don't worry about what people call me, especially ones who don't know me.

No, she doesn't use a wolf howl to call the Hogs.

Hawg Life

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 11:02:05 am
Just because Norvell may not be the coach come January 1 here, does not mean Jeff Long screwed it up. 

There are coaches higher on the pecking order in a lot of peoples minds (Matt campbell from ISU is one) that should get an offer or interview before Norvell. 

Many people are liking the flash in the pan success Norvell is having, I would personally rather someone more proven or had longer success.  Norvell took over a program that Fuente turned around and had some decent players for that conference already on the team.  Norvell picked up right where Fuente left off, sure, but that doesn't mean he is great!  He is very early in the up and comer department.  And if you have watched his games, he does have his moments, but at the same time there is just not enough of a resume as a head coach yet.

Yet you'd probably take Venables who has never been a HC. By your logic, Bielema should have had instant success due to having "Bobby's players". Norvell improved upon what Fuente started. Everyone inherits players, but Norvell is starting 11 freshmen & sophomores, and Ferguson is his QB. Hire Norvell.

ipigsooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 01:26:59 pm
My conclusion as well.  Signed up Oct. 9.  Doesn't write like an exile with a new account.  Probably a blogger/on-line wannabe "journalist" trying to guage fanbase interest in Norvell.  Thought "Arky" would ingratiate himself with Razorbacks fans.  Wrong.  It's the term visiting trolls use to create ire.

Really? I bleed razorback red. 2006 grad. Born in malvern and graduated from magnet cove high. I attend 3 games a year, and id go to more if i could afford it, i joined hv this year due to my discontempt for the staff. Ive never been upset enough with our program to rant and rave about the staff until this year. Youll notice i joined shortly after the SC loss. I had no idea that it is considered an insult to be called an arky. Maybe i am sheltered or whatever.  Even if it is considered an insult i am proud to be an arky. I apologize if it offended anyone to br called an arky. I forget the political climate that we live in today and that just about any term you use is an insult to someone. I personally used the term to save space on the headline.

Boarsnest

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 01:17:04 pm

At the end of the day your opinion nor mine mean a damn thing so get over yourself. There are several good options but none come with a guarantee. You just answered your own rant about more experience. Bret had experience and didn't work out! Lol!

Geewber!!!

Hawg Life

Quote from: Tweeter on November 01, 2017, 01:09:44 pm
Why not Venables?  He's a defensive guy and i think to be successful in the west you have to have a defensive minded coach.  Just my opinion.

He's never been a HC, and people are saying Norvell is too green.