Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article on Mike Norvell choosing Arkansas over UF

Started by ipigsooie, November 01, 2017, 10:37:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ipigsooie

November 01, 2017, 10:37:34 am Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:06:47 pm by ipigsooie
http://gridironnow.com/mike-norvell-florida-fit-another-sec-school-better-fit/

Thought this was interesting and makes a lot of sense, although I still don't think he is a top choice for the Gators, he should be our top choice. WPS

hawgon

The Hawg Marshal

Hopefully the powers that be will make the right decision and hire this man.

hogsrule44

If we wait until next season then we won't have to worry about hiring him. He will be somewhere else.

Hoggie17

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 10:37:34 am
http://gridironnow.com/mike-norvell-florida-fit-another-sec-school-better-fit/

Thought this was interesting and makes a lot of sense, although I still don't think he is a top choice for the Gators, he should be our top choice. WPS
If I were any up and coming coach I would choose Arkansas over Fla.  We have had a coach for nearly 5 yrs and he has a losing record.  We should part ways with CBB and make a play for Mike Norvell.  He is one of my top 3 picks for our job.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hogsrule44 on November 01, 2017, 10:50:33 am
If we wait until next season then we won't have to worry about hiring him. He will be somewhere else.
That's what I'm afraid of.

elviscat

We can't let JL screw this up. He wants to be a Razorback and we need to make it happen.

Marshfieldhog

Jeff Long will find a way to screw it up, unless Norvell writes a love letter then all is well.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: elviscat on November 01, 2017, 10:56:23 am
We can't let JL screw this up. He wants to be a Razorback and we need to make it happen.

Hopefully, the people with the power to exert pressure for change, will exert said pressure.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 01, 2017, 10:50:38 am
If I were any up and coming coach I would choose Arkansas over Fla.  We have had a coach for nearly 5 yrs and he has a losing record.  We should part ways with CBB and make a play for Mike Norvell.  He is one of my top 3 picks for our job.

So many things right with it.  Longevity, Quality of Life, expectations, probably better going with Arkansas.  Going to be judged against a coach with a really bad SEC record.  Very mediocre overall record.  You do not have to do very much to be deemed a success.  Look at the mileage HDN got from being better than Danny Ford and Bielema is looking very Danny Ford like right now.

Florida will run you off if you aren't in the final 4 in 3 years.  You have a better shot of getting there at Florida but you have New Bama (Georgia) to deal with and the monster they are building could be every bit as formidable as Bama.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Tusks

This makes so much perfect sense, for that reason I don't have faith that JL will do it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

onebadrubi

Just because Norvell may not be the coach come January 1 here, does not mean Jeff Long screwed it up. 

There are coaches higher on the pecking order in a lot of peoples minds (Matt campbell from ISU is one) that should get an offer or interview before Norvell. 

Many people are liking the flash in the pan success Norvell is having, I would personally rather someone more proven or had longer success.  Norvell took over a program that Fuente turned around and had some decent players for that conference already on the team.  Norvell picked up right where Fuente left off, sure, but that doesn't mean he is great!  He is very early in the up and comer department.  And if you have watched his games, he does have his moments, but at the same time there is just not enough of a resume as a head coach yet. 

wildturkey8

Georgia seems poised to dominate the East for the foreseeable future.  No school has the built in recruiting advantages Georgia has.

Boarsnest

I would love to see Norvell get the opportunity to coach the razorbacks, but my gut feeling is Long can manage to screw this up.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 11:02:05 am
Just because Norvell may not be the coach come January 1 here, does not mean Jeff Long screwed it up. 

There are coaches higher on the pecking order in a lot of peoples minds (Matt campbell from ISU is one) that should get an offer or interview before Norvell. 

Many people are liking the flash in the pan success Norvell is having, I would personally rather someone more proven or had longer success.  Norvell took over a program that Fuente turned around and had some decent players for that conference already on the team.  Norvell picked up right where Fuente left off, sure, but that doesn't mean he is great!  He is very early in the up and comer department.  And if you have watched his games, he does have his moments, but at the same time there is just not enough of a resume as a head coach yet. 

Campbell is an excellent coach and would be a home run hire. That being said his buyout is somewhere between 6-9 million, Norvell's is 500 thousand. So economically Norvell makes more sense. Also Arkansas is a destination job to Norvell, can you say the same about Campbell?

Tusks

I would offer Campbell first and Norvell would be second.  But Norvell would be my SECOND offer, not Miles or Grobe or whatever.

This make so much sense it won't happen.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ipigsooie

You are right about Campbell. Not sure about the economics of it after they buyout and what he will cost annually, or if he has any reason to even want to coach here. (Other than money but everyone has money).  I honestly think its the perfect time for norvell. He did more than a lot of guys that are hired at huge programs. His resume at Arizona State wouldve been enough for a lot of schools to hire him. Look at all of the big time schools that have hired coordinators to head coaching positions.  He went from asu, where he had one of the best offenses year to year, in the country, and went to Memphis and hasnt missed a beat. He has a leg up on a lot of guys that are out there. Good news is, if we dont know how good Norvell is now based on his inexperience, we will find out next year when he is coaching another school in our conference.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 01, 2017, 10:58:50 am
So many things right with it.  Longevity, Quality of Life, expectations, probably better going with Arkansas.  Going to be judged against a coach with a really bad SEC record.  Very mediocre overall record.  You do not have to do very much to be deemed a success.  Look at the mileage HDN got from being better than Danny Ford and Bielema is looking very Danny Ford like right now.

Florida will run you off if you aren't in the final 4 in 3 years.  You have a better shot of getting there at Florida but you have New Bama (Georgia) to deal with and the monster they are building could be every bit as formidable as Bama.

Is not doing very much what you want from a career? (which is far from being tolerated at Arkansas very long) Doing just enough to not get fired?  Coaches should be and most probably are highly competitive people and with egos. 

Florida didn't run McElwain off because he failed to win the SEC or make the playoff.  He was run off because of dumb things he has said since being hired and their failure on offense especially at QB on top of not competing with Bama for the SEC.  It wasn't working on or off the field. 

Whether Arkansas or Florida, if a coach makes it 8-10 seasons then they will have stayed a long time.  After 6 seasons heading to the 2 year pass, Nutt was catching heat.  Some wanted to push him on the plane to Nebraska.  After seasons 7 and 8 we were heading into a fan base civil war and he was having his phone records examined and banners were flying.  That coach for life didn't work out so well for him even though he won just enough. 

Maybe Norvell could come to Arkansas and win enough to where a job like Florida would be available to him when he is in his mid 40s and has had experience as a head coach at the highest level of competition and would be more ready for it.   I guess it is a risk he may decide to take.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 11:13:18 am
Is not doing very much what you want from a career? (which is far from being tolerated at Arkansas very long) Doing just enough to not get fired?  Coaches should be and most probably are highly competitive people and with egos. 

Florida didn't run McElwain off because he failed to win the SEC or make the playoff.  He was run off because of dumb things he has said since being hired and their failure on offense especially at QB on top of not competing with Bama for the SEC.  It wasn't working on or off the field. 

Whether Arkansas or Florida, if a coach makes it 8-10 seasons then they will have stayed a long time.  After 6 seasons heading to the 2 year pass, Nutt was catching heat.  Some wanted to push him on the plane to Nebraska.  After seasons 7 and 8 we were heading into a fan base civil war and he was having his phone records examined and banners were flying.  That coach for life didn't work out so well for him even though he won just enough. 

Maybe Norvell could come to Arkansas and win enough to where a job like Florida would be available to him when he is in his mid 40s and has had experience as a head coach at the highest level of competition and would be more ready for it.   I guess it is a risk he may decide to take.   

What about Muschamp and Zook? It always comes down to winning....actually winning  a lot, when it comes to UF.  And you better finish in the top 4.

bphi11ips

Arky?

I didn't grow up in Arky or go to school there. Show some respect.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 11:22:55 am
What about Muschamp and Zook? It always comes down to winning....actually winning  a lot, when it comes to UF.  And you better finish in the top 4.

What about them?  They failed.  Zook couldn't win at The Swamp.  Still got a chance at Illinois.  Muschamp back in the SEC as a head coach already.  They took a job you almost can't pass up.  Didn't work out but still were young enough to have a second chance.  USC has churned through coaches too for a long time.  Still one of the best opportunities in college football.  Do you pass those up for a lesser job at 36 because the lesser job was your dream job not knowing if one of those rare opportunities will be available to you again?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AugustaHog

Norvell and Campbell are the two names that are most appealing to me at this point.  Both are on an upward trajectory and have done well at multiple stops (Norvell as an OC prior to Memphis).  That 6-9 mil buyout for Campbell is pretty steep.  Tack that on to the buyout for CBB and you have a big chunk of change before you start paying the man's salary.  I think the difference in the two of those guys is the added assurance of Campbell having been very good at two places that aren't powerhouse destinations.  There's nothing easy about making ISU or Toledo a winner.  Is hedging that bet worth the 6-9 mil?  I do like that Norvell's connections to the state have given him a certain fondness for our job.  It may mean that if he becomes a big success that he's not going to be eyeing the next job.  Whoever is hired, I hope JL takes a page out of the ISU AD's book and locks them up for an unsavory amount of money on their end.  As great as Campbell has done, there's going to be quite a few schools shying away from that kind of sum.

hogfan98

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 11:28:15 am
What about them?  They failed.  Zook couldn't win at The Swamp.  Still got a chance at Illinois.  Muschamp back in the SEC as a head coach already.  They took a job you almost can't pass up.  Didn't work out but still were young enough to have a second chance.  USC has churned through coaches too for a long time.  Still one of the best opportunities in college football.  Do you pass those up for a lesser job at 36 because the lesser job was your dream job not knowing if one of those rare opportunities will be available to you again?

That's the point.  It isn't a lesser job to someone who considers himself  an Arkansan.  So, yes, you do pass up the "better" job because by your standards, it isn't a better job.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: tusked on November 01, 2017, 11:10:50 am
I would offer Campbell first and Norvell would be second.  But Norvell would be my SECOND offer, not Miles or Grobe or whatever.
This! Also, people seem to forget that in addition to Grobe, Long went after Tommy Bowden at Clemson back when he was close to being fired there. Bowden resigned the next season during the middle of the season and hasn't coached anywhere since.

Danny J

Agreed...Personally I would prefer a guy with minimum 3 years HC experience,  some time in the SEC and understands recruiting our region.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 01, 2017, 11:29:35 am
Norvell and Campbell are the two names that are most appealing to me at this point.  Both are on an upward trajectory and have done well at multiple stops (Norvell as an OC prior to Memphis).  That 6-9 mil buyout for Campbell is pretty steep.  Tack that on to the buyout for CBB and you have a big chunk of change before you start paying the man's salary.  I think the difference in the two of those guys is the added assurance of Campbell having been very good at two places that aren't powerhouse destinations.  There's nothing easy about making ISU or Toledo a winner.  Is hedging that bet worth the 6-9 mil?  I do like that Norvell's connections to the state have given him a certain fondness for our job.  It may mean that if he becomes a big success that he's not going to be eyeing the next job.  Whoever is hired, I hope JL takes a page out of the ISU AD's book and locks them up for an unsavory amount of money on their end.  As great as Campbell has done, there's going to be quite a few schools shying away from that kind of sum.

For Campbell's buyout, you do something like pay $4-5 million of it and give ISU a game in Jerry World for $2 million and/or Arrowhead for $2 million and negotiate it out.   Or if you are Tenn, set them up a game in Atlanta with a big payout.  Arkansas isn't an attractive enough job to ask Campbell to pay part of it.  Tennessee may would be to him.  The buyout can be negotiated as ISU won't want to force Campbell to stay if he were to want out badly enough.  Doesn't make for a good working relationship or much of a future. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on November 01, 2017, 11:30:56 am
That's the point.  It isn't a lesser job to someone who considers himself  an Arkansan.  So, yes, you do pass up the "better" job because by your standards, it isn't a better job.

By my standards, Florida is a better job.  The type that doesn't come along very often in most careers.  Do you run "home" instead at 36 to pass that up?  Maybe he would. 

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 11:38:29 am
By my standards, Florida is a better job.  The type that doesn't come along very often in most careers.  Do you run "home" instead at 36 to pass that up?  Maybe he would.

Well, why are you an Arkansas fan?  By any reasonable standard being an Alabama fan is a superior gig.  So why are you here?

presidenthog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 01, 2017, 10:58:50 am

The parallels between these 2 are incredible. They are basically the same person.

ipigsooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 11:26:21 am
Arky?

I didn't grow up in Arky or go to school there. Show some respect.

I didnt know it was disrespectful to use the term "arky" for arkansas. I guess i better be careful when referring to okie as oklahoma or mizzou as missouri or tenner for tennessee. Im sorry i wasnt pc enough for you snowflake.

smb

For Norvell being an Arkansas native is desired. But would he even want the job?
GeorgiaHOG

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on November 01, 2017, 11:41:08 am
Well, why are you an Arkansas fan?  By any reasonable standard being an Alabama fan is a superior gig.  So why are you here?

If fandom were a choice not based on emotion and upbringing and something ingrained maybe we could choose easier.  All of those things plus attending the UA solidified I'm tied to this.  What does that have to do with objectively looking at what college football jobs are best?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 01, 2017, 11:42:45 am
I didnt know it was disrespectful to use the term "arky" for arkansas. I guess i better be careful when referring to okie as oklahoma or mizzou as missouri or tenner for tennessee. Im sorry i wasnt pc enough for you snowflake.

Arky and Okie were derogatory terms.  Due to lack of historical context, it isn't what it once was as most have no idea their origins. 

Hoggie17

Quote from: tusked on November 01, 2017, 11:10:50 am

Yes, Campbell would be an excellent choice. He also is in my top 3 for the job.

The Hawg Marshal

Some people are more sensitive to the "Arky"thing than others. I do know that it is used a lot by other schools fans when they are trying to be derogatory towards us. To me it's not a huge deal, but I get why some don't like it.

presidenthog

Only outsiders use the term arky, or people who are not fans of arkansas. We do not use it for that reason. Tenner is the equivalent and okie is as well btw. If you are not from there it is fine but locals do not use the term.

ipigsooie

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 01, 2017, 11:47:56 am
Some people are more sensitive to the "Arky"thing than others. I do know that it is used a lot by other schools fans when they are trying to be derogatory towards us. To me it's not a huge deal, but I get why some don't like it.

I honestly had no idea. I, for one, am proud to be an arky! 

ricepig

Quote from: smb on November 01, 2017, 11:44:41 am
For Norvell being an Arkansas native is desired. But would he even want the job?

He was born in Texas, he played and coached at UCA, if that makes him a native.

ipigsooie

Quote from: ricepig on November 01, 2017, 11:50:50 am
He was born in Texas, he played and coached at UCA, if that makes him a native.

He is married to a native.  Thats good enough for me! Ha! Plus he came her by choice. Better than some that are born here but cant wait to get away.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 01, 2017, 11:06:58 am
Campbell is an excellent coach and would be a home run hire. That being said his buyout is somewhere between 6-9 million, Norvell's is 500 thousand. So economically Norvell makes more sense. Also Arkansas is a destination job to Norvell, can you say the same about Campbell?

I just am having a hard time pushing all my chips in on Norvell at this time.  His resume is too short for me.  He is also having his success because of a gunslinger QB throwing to an NFL receiver.  He is in a conference that allows for domination when having just one or two top talent level players, and it's his ONLY thing he is being judge on at the moment. 

If I remember right, Bielema's buyout was cheap, don't look at a cheap buyout as a reason.  Nutt thought araknsas was a destination job, that didn't workout great.

I'm ok being the Utah to Urban Meyer, look how that worked out?  I am ok with Arkansas not being a destination job for the next coach, with success comes poaching, I'm fine with that!  We can pay a coach and staff with the big boys if success is being had. 

All this being said, if it's Norvell vs Miles, Norvell vs Grobe, etc, Norvell every day of the week please.  I'd put Norvell behind a Veneables experiment though.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 11:53:43 am
I just am having a hard time pushing all my chips in on Norvell at this time.  His resume is too short for me.  He is also having his success because of a gunslinger QB throwing to an NFL receiver.  He is in a conference that allows for domination when having just one or two top talent level players, and it's his ONLY thing he is being judge on at the moment. 

If I remember right, Bielema's buyout was cheap, don't look at a cheap buyout as a reason.  Nutt thought araknsas was a destination job, that didn't workout great.

I'm ok being the Utah to Urban Meyer, look how that worked out?  I am ok with Arkansas not being a destination job for the next coach, with success comes poaching, I'm fine with that!  We can pay a coach and staff with the big boys if success is being had. 

All this being said, if it's Norvell vs Miles, Norvell vs Grobe, etc, Norvell every day of the week please.  I'd put Norvell behind a Veneables experiment though.
Venables could be a great head coach, but his resume as a head coach is smaller than Norvell's. That being said , if it's Venables or Grobe or Venables or Miles . I'm Venables all the way. lol

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 01, 2017, 11:53:43 am

Norvell MIGHT end up being great, but if he does it is just luck getting him now because, as you said, his resume is so short.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 11:45:04 am
If fandom were a choice not based on emotion and upbringing and something ingrained maybe we could choose easier.  All of those things plus attending the UA solidified I'm tied to this.  What does that have to do with objectively looking at what college football jobs are best?

What does your "objectivity" have to do with how someone may feel about one job or the other?

bphi11ips

Are you a fan of okie or mizzou or tenner, punk?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on November 01, 2017, 12:01:54 pm
Norvell MIGHT end up being great, but if he does it is just luck getting him now because, as you said, his resume is so short.
You beat me to it, which is no great feat.

I agree. Norvell seems like he might be a great fit, but this just his second year at Memphis. Is his resume good enough yet?

On the other hand, we hired a guy that looked like a home run and well....We know how that turned out.

ipigsooie

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 01, 2017, 12:05:45 pm
Are you a fan of okie or mizzou or tenner, punk?

Nope but ive certainly never felt like it was an insult to abbreviate their names. I forget we live in a pc world where everyone gets butt hurt over everything. Sorry i insulted you, but hey, at least you have your choice of bathroom at Target!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on November 01, 2017, 12:04:36 pm
What does your "objectivity" have to do with how someone may feel about one job or the other?

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 11:38:29 am

onebadrubi

November 01, 2017, 12:14:08 pm #48 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:31:09 pm by onebadrubi
Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 01, 2017, 12:01:51 pm
Venables could be a great head coach, but his resume as a head coach is smaller than Norvell's. That being said , if it's Venables or Grobe or Venables or Miles . I'm Venables all the way. lol

Correct, so I'll support my reasoning.  You have to have a list of things that matter, head coachin gin the SEC is not one, because we aren't getting Saban or Smart and I'd want no others. 

But you look at is known for recruiting? Head Coaching Resume?  Program Builder?  etc.  You then have to rate these.  My thought and ranking puts Veneables above Norvell because of his recruiting ties, been around a built program from a similar place Arkansas is at currently, ties to texas, etc.  Sure, if you rate Head coach success as number 1 then Norvell trumps Veneables. 

Bring back the topic of this thread, just because Long doesn't get Norvell, does not mean Long failed.  But that doesn't fit some around here who are narrow minded and not too intelligent.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: elksnort on November 01, 2017, 12:07:46 pm
You beat me to it, which is no great feat.

I agree. Norvell seems like he might be a great fit, but this just his second year at Memphis. Is his resume good enough yet?

On the other hand, we hired a guy that looked like a home run and well....We know how that turned out.
Yep hiring any coach is basically a crap shoot.