Registered - 02-23-2005

bulldog04

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 09, 2017, 10:04:09 pm
I guess Elander is leaving?
Elander gave a two year commitment and just finished year one

TebowHater

Quote from: bulldog04 on July 10, 2017, 05:50:40 am
Elander gave a two year commitment and just finished year one

We all heard that in the PC. But then to this point...

Quote from: Scott7703 on July 09, 2017, 09:41:57 pm
Whose spot is he taking?

TebowHater

onebadrubi

Sounds like maybe elander stayed till the draft class and recruiting class were all finalized.  Might have been some sort of gentlemens agreement between DVH and Vitello.  I highly doubt Vitello would want to do anything to hurt u of a by his leaving.

navyhog24

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 10, 2017, 09:23:30 am
Sounds like maybe elander stayed till the draft class and recruiting class were all finalized.  Might have been some sort of gentlemens agreement between DVH and Vitello.  I highly doubt Vitello would want to do anything to hurt u of a by his leaving.

Congrats to Josh Elander on the promotion then. He's put in his time and helped the Hogs out. Now, he gets his opportunity. Congrats!

dotnet

Who is the new coach supposed to be?  the link didn't take me to a specific page.  Did they take the coach off their site already? 

It makes sense if elander was actually oferred a full time position.  You can't turn that down.  Its different if hes going to be a volunteer assistant.  Then that is sort of stealing. 

Being an assistant at a big time program, especially one primed for a big year like Arkansas is a pretty big stepping stone. 

rolyat_2008

Quote from: dotnet on July 10, 2017, 10:53:07 am
Who is the new coach supposed to be?  the link didn't take me to a specific page.  Did they take the coach off their site already? 

It makes sense if elander was actually oferred a full time position.  You can't turn that down.  Its different if hes going to be a volunteer assistant.  Then that is sort of stealing. 

Being an assistant at a big time program, especially one primed for a big year like Arkansas is a pretty big stepping stone.
Craig Parry. Has DBU ties

TebowHater

Agree - if he is their hitting coach then that's wonderful for him and truly speaks volumes about our program to lose one coach to be an SEC HC and a grad assistant to go straight to SEC assistantship.

If he is in same position there then that would be a little disappointing, but it seems unlikely Vitello or Josh would do that.

the link didn't take me to a specific page.  Did they take the coach off their site already?

Wow, yes they did! Took it down since this morning.

SPAL

I was stunned when I heard Josh was staying because everything I had heard was that he was leaving. I said as much in one of the other threads.

NATEHOGG216

Wow. My nephew is going to be the catcher for the Muleriders next year. I bet he's not going to love hearing this.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

oldhawg

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 10, 2017, 09:45:22 pm
I was stunned when I heard Josh was staying because everything I had heard was that he was leaving. I said as much in one of the other threads.

Not sure I understand your post.  Is Josh Elander at Tennessee or Arkansas?  Have tried to research other sources, but from all indications he is now at Tennessee.   

yraciv

Have to ask, why was he was coaching D2 baseball last year after spending three years at DBU?  Did they get a new coach and he was let go?

searkhogfan

Quote from: oldhawg on July 12, 2017, 09:26:48 am
Not sure I understand your post.  Is Josh Elander at Tennessee or Arkansas?  Have tried to research other sources, but from all indications he is now at Tennessee.   

He was talking about how he had said early on that Elander was going to UT.  Then it looked as if he was staying at UA.  Or that's the way I understand it   

oldhawg

Quote from: searkhogfan on July 12, 2017, 09:47:34 am

He was talking about how he had said early on that Elander was going to UT.  Then it looked as if he was staying at UA.  Or that's the way I understand it   

okay. thanks.

jwhite_13

Craig is a personal friend of mine. Met he and his wife when they moved to Magnolia for SAU. Not that I've been around many D-1 coaches but have spent a fair share around many coaches in general and he is one of the best baseball minds I've ever been around. As great of a mind as he is, he is an even better person. Excited for this opportunity for him and he will definitely be an asset to Razorback Baseball. The guy knows hitting as good or better than anyone I've ever talked to and is able to relay that in ways that a interesting and fun. Even my wife, who knows NOTHING about baseball, loved to hear him talk about it.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hog in Iowa

Quote from: jwhite_13 on July 12, 2017, 11:44:16 am
Craig is a personal friend of mine. Met he and his wife when they moved to Magnolia for SAU. Not that I've been around many D-1 coaches but have spent a fair share around many coaches in general and he is one of the best baseball minds I've ever been around. As great of a mind as he is, he is an even better person. Excited for this opportunity for him and he will definitely be an asset to Razorback Baseball. The guy knows hitting as good or better than anyone I've ever talked to and is able to relay that in ways that a interesting and fun. Even my wife, who knows NOTHING about baseball, loved to hear him talk about it.

Thanks for the insight, jwhite.  That's good information.  I figured Craig's a top shelf guy because DVH doesn't have to settle.  I'm guessing Coach Wes got to work with him at DBU so he knows first-hand what we're getting.
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

PorkRyan

Quote from: yraciv on July 12, 2017, 09:45:10 am
Have to ask, why was he was coaching D2 baseball last year after spending three years at DBU?  Did they get a new coach and he was let go?

Just a guess, but he probably went from the volunteer assistant at DBU to a paid position at SAU.  He will be the volunteer assistant at Arkansas but will make money from camps and lessons.  At Arkansas, that probably means more money than he was making at SAU and more importantly will open up doors for him in coaching. 

bulldog04

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 12, 2017, 02:08:10 pm
Just a guess, but he probably went from the volunteer assistant at DBU to a paid position at SAU.  He will be the volunteer assistant at Arkansas but will make money from camps and lessons.  At Arkansas, that probably means more money than he was making at SAU and more importantly will open up doors for him in coaching. 
He was only making 38k at SAU so he will be alright

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

dotnet

I wonder when they'll announce this?  I guess they are busy recruiting now

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 12, 2017, 05:16:18 pm
what does a Arkansas volunteer make ?

Can make some good money running camps.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Cracker Jack

Quote from: jwhite_13 on July 12, 2017, 11:44:16 am
Totally agree!  I also met Craig and his wife when they moved to Magnolia.  He is a great coach that the players really love and respect, and he is even a better man.  Wes sought him out immediately when this position came open.  That speaks highly of his coaching abilities and his reputation.  His wife was living in Fayetteville when they first met, so she is already a huge Razorback baseball fan.  As jwhite said, he will be a great asset to the Hogs! 

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 12, 2017, 05:16:18 pm
what does a Arkansas volunteer make ?
I don't know much about the coaching set up in college baseball as far as assistants/volunteers go.  Is there a limit on how much a "volunteer" coach can make?  Or is he just able to make whatever he can as long as it is from outside sources not directly affiliated with the U of A. 

I guess I'm curious how he makes money off of the camps.  Do the participants pay him directly?