Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where's Porktatarian when you need him?

Started by Hog Milanese, November 19, 2017, 08:54:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Milanese

Can we get some news? Starting to get nervous with all of these high-profile schools firing their coaches.

NuttinItUp

No need to panic yet.
I think we are still on Plan A (Gus) until/unless Auburn wins the Iron Bowl. Then we will move on to Plan B, C, etc..

RockyMtnHog

Pork was on earlier in the week.  All he stated was that the end was next weekend.  His statement was before Jeff Long was fired.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

nwahogs

jgphillips3

I know everyone is in a hurry, but, other than the possibility we hear the AD name in the next week...maybe...Bielema was never going to be fired prior to Missouri.  So, there is no news to report.  Gus, Norvell and all the rest are still coaching.  I would figure Porkatarian will have some advance news sometime between Thursday and Sunday.

hobhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 19, 2017, 09:09:52 pm
I know everyone is in a hurry, but, other than the possibility we hear the AD name in the next week...maybe...Bielema was never going to be fired prior to Missouri.  So, there is no news to report.  Gus, Norvell and all the rest are still coaching.  I would figure Porkatarian will have some advance news sometime between Thursday and Sunday.

Wouldn't be so sure about that.....

jgphillips3

DeltaBoy

Pork will speak when the time is ready!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ShadowHawg

He's like Beetlejuice. If you mention his name 3 times he will show up.

xxtomassxx1980

He'll post tomorrow, after signing on as AD.

makiavelli

Didnt he post we werent getting a new ad no matter what we wanted to happen, that jeff long would be the one hiring the new coach? Maybe that was the other pork though.  Not sure anyone on here is really plugged in at the moment with all the upheaval taking place.
Wally Hall is an angry lil guy

Porkatarian

The ball is in Gus' court.  It's his job to turn down.

I'm still hearing Scanlon as AD.

Porkatarian out...

"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

dhizzle

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 20, 2017, 08:14:51 am

Porkatarian out...
I would love both of these hires!  I'm still worried that Sexton is playing us.

The Hawg Marshal

The NewEra

Porkatarian out...

I like the Scanlon projection.  I'm not excited about Gus, but if he's the guy then I'll support him.

SquidBilly

Quote from: The NewEra on November 20, 2017, 08:27:50 am
I like the Scanlon projection.  I'm not excited about Gus, but if he's the guy then I'll support him.

cosign

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: The NewEra on November 20, 2017, 08:27:50 am
I feel  the same way.

HappyFan

Sexton can play us all he wants too it won't cost us a dime it will cost Auburn, in the end we will have a new coach whoever it may be.

_Hamlet_

Porkatarian out...

I disagree on the AD projection. Follow who you wish but next AD will be S. Varaday.

porkrindjimmy

Porkatarian out...

Hmmmm...

PRJ

If we hire Gus, our last 3 hires will be:

From an Auburn when they are in the top 10.
From Wisconsin after 3 straight Rose Bowls.
From the Atlanta Falcons.

Tennessee has been forced to hire from C-USA, and we are pulling from the top shelf. Hope it works this time.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Karma on November 20, 2017, 08:39:16 am
If we hire Gus, our last 3 hires will be:

From an Auburn when they are in the top 10.
From Wisconsin after 3 straight Rose Bowls.
From the Atlanta Falcons.

Tennessee has been forced to hire from C-USA, and we are pulling from the top shelf. Hope it works this time.

But where has any of that got us.  I'd rather hire a young guy who wants to be here, is willing to put in the work to build a successful program, and can build a legacy of winning for the next 15-20 years.  It will be hard to repeat the success JFB had here but that's what we could be striving for.  I'd rather give Norvell a shot to build something here.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

porkrindjimmy

online-with-swine

If Gus wins the iron bowl and SEC championship then we have to set an ultimatum.  Join now or we move on to Norvell, Campbell or whoever.  We can't wait till after the playoffs start and risk him staying.  That happens then we are screwed harder than a 2 dollar whore. 

The Boar War

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 20, 2017, 08:24:29 am
I would love both of these hires!  I'm still worried that Sexton is playing us.

Sexton can only play us if the coach doesn't want to be here.  I remember people having the same concerns about Anderson.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 20, 2017, 08:43:28 am
But where has any of that got us.  I'd rather hire a young guy who wants to be here, is willing to put in the work to build a successful program, and can build a legacy of winning for the next 15-20 years.  It will be hard to repeat the success JFB had here but that's what we could be striving for.  I'd rather give Norvell a shot to build something here.

This is where I am.  If we hire Gus, we can't just give him the keys to the city.  The buyout must be tied to wins.  There also needs to be an understanding that if we go 7-5 for the next 4 years, he is gone.  I'll take that from a young coach who is learning the ropes but not from a $6 million retread.  Gus is a dangerous hire.  There will be initial excitement but, he will get less of a leash from the fans if he turns in Bielema like results.  I'll just hope for the best.

The NewEra

Quote from: The Boar War on November 20, 2017, 08:49:58 am
Sexton can only play us if the coach doesn't want to be here.  I remember people having the same concerns about Anderson.

Great point!  After this is all said and done we will know once and for all if this is truly Gus' dream job. 

sigpooie

Sexton is playing 60% of everything all of us are going  through.  Jobs going to Norvell and gus gets raise and higher buy out. That's my bet..
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

NuttinItUp

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 20, 2017, 08:47:45 am
If Gus wins the iron bowl and SEC championship then we have to set an ultimatum.  Join now or we move on to Norvell, Campbell or whoever.  We can't wait till after the playoffs start and risk him staying.  That happens then we are screwed harder than a 2 dollar whore. 

If Gus beats Bama and goes to the playoffs, Auburn locks him up so we won't have to worry about it. If he loses to Bama it will be his 4th loss to Bama in a row and Aubie fans will throw a hissie to get rid of him. That is why it comes down to the Iron Bowl if we get him or not.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 19, 2017, 08:59:53 pm
No need to panic yet.
I think we are still on Plan A (Gus) until/unless Auburn wins the Iron Bowl. Then we will move on to Plan B, C, etc..
Someone explain this to me.  If Gus really reached out to us, supposedly because he wants out of the state of Alabama and maybe because he and the wife want to come home, what difference does it make whether he wins or loses the Alabama game? 

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 20, 2017, 08:52:13 am
This is where I am.  If we hire Gus, we can't just give him the keys to the city.  The buyout must be tied to wins.  There also needs to be an understanding that if we go 7-5 for the next 4 years, he is gone.  I'll take that from a young coach who is learning the ropes but not from a $6 million retread.  Gus is a dangerous hire.  There will be initial excitement but, he will get less of a leash from the fans if he turns in Bielema like results.  I'll just hope for the best.
Oh I agree. If Gus comes, we better hope he wins because he's not leaving until he feels like it.

He's not in my personal top 5. But like almost everything Razorbacks, my opinion really doesn't matter.

The NewEra

I hope no one will have a problem with me pulling for Auburn to win the Iron Bowl.  I want Gus on record turning Arkansas down.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 19, 2017, 09:48:07 pm
He’s like Beetlejuice. If you mention his name 3 times he will show up.

Wow, I thought your were just kidding.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 20, 2017, 08:55:52 am
Someone explain this to me.  If Gus really reached out to us, supposedly because he wants out of the state of Alabama and maybe because he and the wife want to come home, what difference does it make whether he wins or loses the Alabama game? 

I don't know if he reached out to us or not, so I can't speculate on that, but there is certainly interest on our side for him.

The reason the Iron Bowl makes a difference is:
1) If Auburn wins, they go to the SECCG. (adds at least one more week)
2) Auburn most likely beats Georgia in the SECCG which sends them to the playoffs. (adds several weeks)
3) If Auburn beats Bama and goes to the playoffs (two most important things to Auburn fans) then they lock him up.
4) If Auburn loses to Bama it will be Gus' 4th loss in a row to Bama. Auburn fans are notoriously fickle, so they will start making noise about him.

So, for all the factors involved (amount of time, amount of money needed to be spent, Auburn interest vs. our interest), the Iron Bowl plays an outsized role in whether we get Gus or not.

I hope this clears it up for you.

WilsonHog

Time is on our side, for as much as two weeks, because the SECCG and the American title game are both played on December 2.

I figure we're Malzahn's insurance policy. If he wins the Iron Bowl and secures a spot in the SECCG, life is good for him on the Plains. Even if he loses to Georgia again, he's likely to have enough goodwill generated from the victory over Alabama to use it and our interest in him as leverage for a new contract.

If he loses this Saturday, the Auburn people will roast him not just for losing, but for the distractions they believe his interest in our job caused. In that event, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a Razorback podium a week from today.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 20, 2017, 09:01:27 am
I don't know if he reached out to us or not, so I can't speculate on that, but there is certainly interest on our side for him.

The reason the Iron Bowl makes a difference is:
1) If Auburn wins, they go to the SECCG. (adds at least one more week)
2) Auburn most likely beats Georgia in the SECCG which sends them to the playoffs. (adds several weeks)
3) If Auburn beats Bama and goes to the playoffs (two most important things to Auburn fans) then they lock him up.
4) If Auburn loses to Bama it will be Gus' 4th loss in a row to Bama. Auburn fans are notoriously fickle, so they will start making noise about him.

So, for all the factors involved (amount of time, amount of money needed to be spent, Auburn interest vs. our interest), the Iron Bowl plays an outsized role in whether we get Gus or not.

I hope this clears it up for you.
Everything you stated makes perfect sense if Gus did not reach out to us.  If he did initiate the discussions then none of it makes sense.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 20, 2017, 09:07:57 am
Everything you stated makes perfect sense if Gus did not reach out to us.  If he did initiate the discussions then none of it makes sense.

He intiated it.

PRJ

The Boar War

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 20, 2017, 09:07:57 am

Allegedly Gus reached out before the UGA win.  One of two major hurdles has been overcome since then.  I imagine the pressure was much greater at that point.  Just to be clear I have no inside knowledge.

The NewEra

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 20, 2017, 09:11:07 am
He intiated it.

PRJ

If Gus initiated the contact then I don't think the power brokers will allow themselves to be strung along for too long. 

"You wanted to come home Gus, here's a great offer, now let's get this done.  It's what you said you wanted."

hawgon

So, is there a time limit on Malzahn or are we still going to be here in the second week of January waiting on Malzahn to say "yes" or "no"?

PorkRinds

I predict that Gus will show his true colors before this deal is all said and done. And it won't be pretty.

hoglady

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 20, 2017, 08:55:52 am

If he reached out to us it was because he thought he was fixing to be fired.
Georgia game changed the narrative
If he loses to Bama - he goes back on the hot seat.
It's the only thing that makes much sense to me.
As someone else said we are looking like Gus' sloppy seconds.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rljjr

Gus is a risky proposition who hasn't proven he can win big with the talent Auburn pays for now. I understand he's an Arkansas bred product and is a great 'small town boy done good' story. I appreciate he's a good coach with better assistants. I love his D coordinator. I don't know if he's hit the apex of his upside or not, but he's been pretty consistent at Aubbie in the 8-9 win range. Is that good enough for Hog fans (I know it sounds great right now, but what do we really want?)

Contrast him with a guy like Norvell, who we know hasn't hit his high water mark because he just hasn't had enough coaching history. Is he winning with Fuente's guys? Can he recruit at a P5 school? Will he actually find a decent D coordinator and not have to outscore everyone? These are things I worry about with him.

All-in-all I'm ok with either because they both have their plusses and minuses and unknowns. If I were running the show I would roll the dice on Norvell. I think he has a passion and edge and something to prove and could motivate our young Hogs to great heights. Simply my opinion.

jgphillips3

If I was the UofA, I would make Gus accept the job or reject it prior to the Iron Bowl.  Screw being second choice if everything works out down there.  You either want to be here or you want to be there.  Pick.

HoggyCat

Quote from: _Hamlet_ on November 20, 2017, 08:35:33 am
I disagree on the AD projection. Follow who you wish but next AD will be S. Varaday.

It will be Varady......

IF Scanlon says no.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 20, 2017, 09:19:54 am
If I was the UofA, I would make Gus accept the job or reject it prior to the Iron Bowl.  Screw being second choice if everything works out down there.  You either want to be here or you want to be there.  Pick.

Yeah, that worked out so well in basketball......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

The Boar War

Quote from: rljjr on November 20, 2017, 09:18:15 am
Gus is a risky proposition who hasn't proven he can win big with the talent Auburn pays for now.

He's been to the national championship game.
He coaches the number 6 team in the country with one weekend left in the season.
What do you call winning big?

PorkRinds

Quote from: The Boar War on November 20, 2017, 09:24:30 am
He's been to the national championship game.
He coaches the number 6 team in the country with one weekend left in the season.
What do you call winning big?

8-5
7-6
8-5

That's not winning Big when he has top 5 recruiting classes on the reg.