Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Post That’s a Couple Years Sooner Than Expected

Started by FANONTHEHILL, February 07, 2018, 07:29:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mhuff

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

oldbear

Congratulations to Cooper and to the entire family.  Law school is a pain, but it will be well worth it in the end.  I know you guys are very proud and you have every reason to be.  It isn't easy to do the full time job that is college athletics and maintain a grade point that will get you into law school.  If Cooper ever needs help, you are welcome to PM me and I will help in any way that I can. 

JRHoward

Congratulations to Cooper and the Sone Family!  God Bless!   Best Wishes,  John
Woooo Pig!

daBoar

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 07, 2018, 07:29:09 am
So I'll not be attending practices.  No more inside info.  Just a fan and the father of a former player. 
Jeff Sone
Wow. Many thanks for the insight and very measured and well thought out comments over the last couple of seasons.  It looks like you sired a good one.  My prayers are with you and him....to progress well.  I'm glad to have known you, in this strange medium.  wps

TheRedBoarn

Congratulations to Cooper and your entire family.  I'm proud for all of you.
William H.Dykes
LtCol USMC, Ret.

KCHOGFAN

007 License To Squeal

Great post!  Thanks for sharing, and good luck to you and your family...
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

UAGolfer1981

Congrats! Once a Razorback always a Razorback!   One of my proudest moments as a father was when my daughter selected and graduated from my alma mater!

Please continue to contribute to making HV a great place to share our passion.  WPS!

island hog

So proud of your son's accomplishments and of you as his parents... he is a role model for others to follow.  Thanks for all you've added to this forum.  To be honest, I'd get fired up to see a post from you as it gave us all an insight that very few have into the team, coaches, etc... to look under the hood.  Cooper has achieved a lot so far in his life and has a very bright future... couldn't be happier for him and your family.

ChicoHog

Quote from: MissippHog on February 07, 2018, 07:43:56 am
Way to go Cooper and good luck!  FOTH, only problem I see with your post is the whole "I likely won't post as much" nonsense.  You are one of the more sane voices around, Hogville needs you  :)
No kidding!  How in the world does he have 389 smites?  Should be zero! 

GA reddiehog

Congratulations to the Sone family!!  Hope he will be at U of A law School!  I have some cousins that have graduated from there and they are all doing well.

Boog41

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 07, 2018, 08:15:12 am
Quite a thread - two of our classiest posters marking family transitions by sharing with HV.

Isn't it strange? People who have never met build relationships on a message board. We share a love of the Hogs.

Doesn't happen for all people, mind you. I think it is easier for those of us (I am including myself in this category) still see "relationship building" as a significant goal for message board activity. Some of the greatest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting were found right here: David, Jason...you guys are awesome. And, the oddity of it all - finding life-long friends here but not immediately knowing it: Stan, Grag, Ron, Scott, Ron...so glad we had our time together many years ago so we could have our HV time together.

Best to Cooper and Matthew, and Dad and Dad - don't be a stranger. You are still the reason HV is such a great place.

👍

FATHAWG08

Signing day is always an exciting time for Razorback Football.  These last couple of weeks have been exciting to watch as we see the team add pieces to the puzzle.  On a personal note, it has also been an interesting couple of weeks for our family.  We have been excited by the offseason program of Coach Carroll and the potential for Cooper to possibly contribute in his redshirt junior year.  But sometimes, you get thrown a curveball.  His long term goal has always been a political science degree, a history degree, and then law school.  Last week Cooper came to the conclusion that he could add a course and complete his political science degree with a history minor this spring and begin law school this fall before his 21st birthday.  After a long family conversation and speaking with faculty, local attorneys, former athletes, and the coaching staff, Cooper is graduating and stepping away from football.  We are so proud that he has made this difficult decision and has a plan for his future.  He should be sitting for the bar exam at 23 years old and we couldn't be prouder.   

So I'll not be attending practices.  No more inside info.  Just a fan and the father of a former
player.  I have to be honest, it will be hard for our entire family when the season rolls around.  But this is the right decision for his future.  I do want everyone to know that the current staff has been awesome in this process.  They have told Cooper that he is not quitting the team, he is graduating and turning the next page.  They want him around.  They want him in the building.  They want him showing players and recruit parents that you can play football, have a 3.92 GPA and have a degree in three years.  He's s recruiter now.  Coach Morris, Coach Fry, and Coach Carroll have been awesome and our family is so excited about the future of this program. 

I have had many people over the last couple years PM me asking on behalf of their own family, what is it really like in the program.  I have never told anyone that there is a single second of regret from Cooper and about him choosing to be a Razorback.  That hasn't changed and never will.  Thanks to all of you for the kind words over the last few years.  I likely won't post as much since I won't have credible info, but I'll still be around to spar with anyone who takes a shot at one of these young men who wear the uniform and represent our school and state. 

Cooper is an exceptional young man and his mother and I are very proud of his past and excited for his future.  He believes that politics could be in his future.  So if you could do me one favor.  If you happen to see COOPER SONE on a ballot some time in the future, consider putting a check mark down beside his name.  He's never let us down, and I don't think he'll let you down either.

God Bless and Go Hogs
Jeff Sone
This warms my Heart,
I love off season Football!!

Horse racer

What an accomplishment! Congratulations to all concerned. And like the others, your level headed commentary was always a welcome addition to this forum.

Cinco de Hogo

Signing day is always an exciting time for Razorback Football.  These last couple of weeks have been exciting to watch as we see the team add pieces to the puzzle.  On a personal note, it has also been an interesting couple of weeks for our family.  We have been excited by the offseason program of Coach Carroll and the potential for Cooper to possibly contribute in his redshirt junior year.  But sometimes, you get thrown a curveball.  His long term goal has always been a political science degree, a history degree, and then law school.  Last week Cooper came to the conclusion that he could add a course and complete his political science degree with a history minor this spring and begin law school this fall before his 21st birthday.  After a long family conversation and speaking with faculty, local attorneys, former athletes, and the coaching staff, Cooper is graduating and stepping away from football.  We are so proud that he has made this difficult decision and has a plan for his future.  He should be sitting for the bar exam at 23 years old and we couldn't be prouder.   

So I'll not be attending practices.  No more inside info.  Just a fan and the father of a former
player.  I have to be honest, it will be hard for our entire family when the season rolls around.  But this is the right decision for his future.  I do want everyone to know that the current staff has been awesome in this process.  They have told Cooper that he is not quitting the team, he is graduating and turning the next page.  They want him around.  They want him in the building.  They want him showing players and recruit parents that you can play football, have a 3.92 GPA and have a degree in three years.  He's s recruiter now.  Coach Morris, Coach Fry, and Coach Carroll have been awesome and our family is so excited about the future of this program. 

I have had many people over the last couple years PM me asking on behalf of their own family, what is it really like in the program.  I have never told anyone that there is a single second of regret from Cooper and about him choosing to be a Razorback.  That hasn't changed and never will.  Thanks to all of you for the kind words over the last few years.  I likely won't post as much since I won't have credible info, but I'll still be around to spar with anyone who takes a shot at one of these young men who wear the uniform and represent our school and state. 

Cooper is an exceptional young man and his mother and I are very proud of his past and excited for his future.  He believes that politics could be in his future.  So if you could do me one favor.  If you happen to see COOPER SONE on a ballot some time in the future, consider putting a check mark down beside his name.  He's never let us down, and I don't think he'll let you down either.

God Bless and Go Hogs
Jeff Sone

One word,

"Awesome"

bennyl08

Good job FOTH and Cooper as well. I was looking forward to getting to hopefully see him on the field in some regard this coming season, but believe he made a wise decision. Have had a few friends pass the bar and know that is extremely stressful. However, especially with a background in football, your son knows that nothing worth having comes easy and I believe he will have the maturity to tackle law school and all that comes with it. Best of luck and even without any "inside info", definitely don't become a stranger on this board (unless you know, real life cuts into things, then obviously that takes priority).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

limitless

Great post.  I'm very happy for your son - and you as parents.  I don't post here much, just read threads and mostly chuckle.

I don't have a football background, but I love the sport.  I was a distance runner for John back in the day and achieved some good things both academically and athletically.  Just 2 short years ago in December, my youngest daughter graduated from the U of A school of Architecture at the top of her class.  Cool stuff.

So we all cheer our kid's success - especially when that success will be rewarded for the rest of their lives and their ties to this institution will last.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

Arkamedes

Congratulations to Cooper! And, thank you to FOTH for all your insight into our program. It appears as though the Razorback family has, once again, successfully raised another Hog. I thank you and Cooper for your loyalty and love for the program and wish him the best of luck in the future! WooPig! Go Hogs!
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

TXArcher

Good for Cooper! FOTH, hope you stick around, your posts were always welcomed.

RazorPiggie

jgphillips3

Congrats to your son.  Thank you for all of your insider info over the past couple of years. 

Justagp

FOTH, your behind the scenes info and insightful posts have been greatly appreciated. Congratulations to Cooper - that is very impressive!

rmcchris

You are my favorite poster, so please continue to do so.  I read a lot more than I post!  Thank you Cooper for all your hard work and leadership within our program.  You now have taken the next step in your live and good luck.  No doubt you will be successful.  Thanks for guiding our future Razorbacks as they navigate college football and life.  WPS.

FANONTHEHILL

A big thank you to everyone for all of the replies. I've shared this with Cooper and he is very appreciative of the amazing Razorback fans out there. 

As I said before, this is a melancholy moment.  Excited for the future, but the first time in 12 years he won't be strapping on a helmet come August.  But he walks away having lived a dream he's had since he was 3, degree in hand, a few SEC Academic Honor Roll plaques on the wall, a healthy body, and a bright future.  Thanks again to you all for the kind words. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

razorjacket43

Congrats to Cooper and to you and your family. WPS!! Never forget yall will always be a Hog
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2018, 07:56:08 am
Wow.  I know you and your family are very proud of Cooper.  He exemplifies what family and football are all about.  I hope he has a license plate soon that says UA Law.  It's a great law school. 

I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to spending some time with you this Fall.  My son, Matthew, will sign his "Commitment Letter" today at a ceremony with other players at Brentwood High School.  It isn't an LOI, but it does acknowledge the commitment he and the Razorback family have made to each other.  Matthew turned down some good full offers, but Arkansas is where his heart is.  He will do his best to earn a scholarship, but the experience and education he will get at UA will be second to none.  If his mom and I didn't believe that, we would have done our best to have him go somewhere else.  Cooper's experience as a walk-on confirms he made the right choice. 

I'll probably be taking a long vacation from Hogville myself pretty soon.  I have devoted far too much of my time here over the years anyway, but my "tldr" posts have always been from the heart.  Most of all, I have tried to keep some from rewriting Arkansas's history as a football team.  I saw yesterday that PWO commit Peyton Ausley referred to Arkansas as a "sleeping giant".  My guess is I know where he got that from.  I firmly believe we have the right coach at the right time.

Best of luck to Cooper in his law school and professional career.  I hope to meet you both soon.
Hey Bubba... Don't you dare shrink away from this place. You have been one of my favorite posters too. In fact, I hope you two are the start of a Hogville tradition of having a real insider's view into the inner workings of the program. Well... to a point that doesn't become detrimental to your student athlete or the program. FOTH set an excellent example, and I believe you could carry that torch well.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

311Hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 09, 2018, 09:29:09 am
A big thank you to everyone for all of the replies. I've shared this with Cooper and he is very appreciative of the amazing Razorback fans out there. 

As I said before, this is a melancholy moment.  Excited for the future, but the first time in 12 years he won't be strapping on a helmet come August.  But he walks away having lived a dream he's had since he was 3, degree in hand, a few SEC Academic Honor Roll plaques on the wall, a healthy body, and a bright future.  Thanks again to you all for the kind words. 

dang man that is totally winning the game of life right here.  I am proud to share an alma mater with your son, he will love having his name in the side walk.

snoblind

With Cooper moving on would you share the take you wrote on what happened under previous regime?  I know the arguments against it, but there are also good arguments to have it on the record.

For example, in Jump Ball there is the Nolan/White/Self/Broyles saga being rehashed 15 years later.  And Irwin has shed a lot of light on various topics. 

Tejano Jawg

Well done Fan and family! Great post, as are all your contributions on Hogville. We appreciate what you and your son have given to the program. Keep checking in.

I love that little picture cluster (post #77).
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bphi11ips

February 09, 2018, 11:53:58 am #83 Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:14:27 pm by bphi11ips
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 09, 2018, 10:07:21 am
Hey Bubba... Don't you dare shrink away from this place. You have been one of my favorite posters too. In fact, I hope you two are the start of a Hogville tradition of having a real insider's view into the inner workings of the program. Well... to a point that doesn't become detrimental to your student athlete or the program. FOTH set an excellent example, and I believe you could carry that torch well.

FOTH did a great job of balancing his own love for the Hogs and football IQ with Cooper's status as a player. He never revealed anything I can recall about Cooper or the team or staff that I thought was inappropriate. Occassionally he would set someone straight and shut some silly idea down. I always appreciated that.

I've been here a long time. My nature is to advocate and question. I don't necessarily think anything I or anyone else says here has any influence, but collectively Hogville has, in my opinion, been somewhat of a barometer of the hard core fanbase. A lot more read than post. My opinions are my own.  My son and I do share a love for the Razorbacks. Someone just sent me this article, and what he said made me smile:

https://brentwoodhomepage.com/six-brentwood-high-student-athletes-sign-letters-intent/

I'll bet Cooper and his dad are the same way.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: snoblind on February 09, 2018, 10:38:17 am
With Cooper moving on would you share the take you wrote on what happened under previous regime?  I know the arguments against it, but there are also good arguments to have it on the record.

For example, in Jump Ball there is the Nolan/White/Self/Broyles saga being rehashed 15 years later.  And Irwin has shed a lot of light on various topics. 

If FOTH doesn't, it's probably because he knows that what he says here might influence some voter fifteen years from now. 

I represent recording artists. The Brentwood High School PA announcer asked me years ago, before my son played there, if I would ask one of my clients to call his message machine and say "Go Brentwood".  The announcer wanted to use it during the game. I knew better than to ask but did anyway against my better judgement. My client asked me who we were playing. I said Franklin. They are Brentwood's traditional rival. He looked at me and asked "How many fans do you think I have in Franklin?"  That was the end of the discussion, but it was a good lesson in politics.

snoblind

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 09, 2018, 12:13:23 pm
If FOTH doesn’t, it’s probably because he knows that what he says here might influence some voter fifteen years from now. 

I represent recording artists. The Brentwood High School PA announcer asked me years ago, before my son played there, if I would ask one of my clients to call his message machine and say “Go Brentwood”.  The announcer wanted to use it during the game. I knew better than to ask but did anyway against my better judgement. My client asked me who we were playing. I said Franklin. They are Brentwood’s traditional rival. He looked at me and asked “How many fans do you think I have in Franklin?”  That was the end of the discussion, but it was a good lesson in politics.

Understand your point from the example, but are you equating "voter" with a high school prospect 15 years from now?  Don't think this discussion would sway a kid's decision one or another.

One thing I have thought about with the BB debacle happening is reading on here for years folks blaming Broyles for the meddling with/running off coaches, specifically Hatfield comes to mind.

Seems to me Alvarez not only built Wisconsin, but was/is heavily involved in the day to day operation.  We saw the results of BB doing it on his own.

Perhaps if Hatfield had listened to Frank more instead of mailing it in the last year or 2 in recruiting and running off to Clemson when there was an unsigned contract on his desk life as a Razorback fan would been more enjoyable the past 30 years.

HogFansReunited

Best of luck to your son and thanks for all the information that you have provided us with over the last couple years.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

bphi11ips

Quote from: snoblind on February 09, 2018, 01:05:39 pm
Understand your point from the example, but are you equating "voter" with a high school prospect 15 years from now?  Don't think this discussion would sway a kid's decision one or another.

I was thinking more of Cooper's future career as a politician.

snoblind

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 09, 2018, 01:09:13 pm
I was thinking more of Cooper’s future career as a politician.

Oh yeah, forgot that angle.  And yes, someone would hold a comment his dad made 15 years earlier against him.

code red

All the Best to Cooper.  Congrats to you and your family.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

bphi11ips

Quote from: snoblind on February 09, 2018, 01:13:27 pm
Oh yeah, forgot that angle.  And yes, someone would hold a comment his dad made 15 years earlier against him.

Or maybe the usual suspects are here 10 years from now still talking about what Cooper's dad said went wrong under Bielema.

swinemaster

Good Job Dad!  I'd say Good luck to Cooper but it seems pretty obvious he is making his own luck.  Congrats!!

Nashville Fan

So now we can get the real story! :) congrats and thanks for your son's service to Razorback nation. Be proud papa!
Pittman or Bust!

GuvHog

FOTH Congratulations on raising a fine young man. I know he'll do very well in Law School.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Rudy Baylor

God Bless and Go Hogs
Jeff Sone

We need to get rid of some RINO's

Hopefully Cooper is one of our guys

God bless

STLhawg

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but I just now saw this.  I wanted to give kudos to FOTH for raising such a fine young man -- and to let him know I will truly miss his insider's perspective posts!