Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

josh_sec33

Quote from: The Hogfather on June 02, 2011, 08:31:54 am

Either that, or just run one of those tornado sirens the whole time the opposition has the ball, while simultaneously playing Barry Manilow over the loudspeaker.

Isn't that like....inhumane?
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

The Hogfather

SteveInArk

Or opponents could substitute the Friends of Distinction version of "Grazing in the Grass" that had NO COWBELLS at all.  That would show those suckers no mercy!  ;D
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

jbcarol

Per Brandon Marcello, Dan Mullen says Davis Wade Stadium is "not the loudest stadium in the conference and probably near the bottom."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

QuoteI've been in nearly every stadium in SEC, and Arkansas-MSU at Davis Wade last season was one of loudest I've ever attended.

Brandon Marcello
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

lookinupthehill

Quote from: jbcarol on June 02, 2011, 09:36:40 pm
Per Brandon Marcello, Dan Mullen says Davis Wade Stadium is "not the loudest stadium in the conference and probably near the bottom."

Okay... so they should be allowed artificial noisemakers to make up for their fan's lack of vocal substance?  That's like saying we need 1 handicap parking spot at every store for every disabled person in each city.  Oh... wait, we already do that.   Carry on....

jbcarol

QuoteMississippi State will be fined $30,000 for violating cowbell compromise twice last season, Keenum says. Next violation will cost $50K.

Brandon Marcello

jbcarol

QuoteState violated cowbell compromise during Auburn and Georgia games last season, but showed compliance vs. UK, Arkansas.

BMarcello

jbcarol

State will be allowed to ring their cowbells one more year, but will face heavy fines in the future when in violation

Quote"I'm very pleased that my colleagues recognized that we did the right thing last season," MSU president Mark Keenum said in a phone interview with The Clarion-Ledger shortly after the vote. "It took us a couple of games but there was a realization that our fans finally learned how to respect our tradition, our cowbell and ring our bell responsibly as we demonstrated in the last two SEC games we played at home. "

MSU was found to have violated the rules in the first two SEC games last season — Auburn and Georgia — and will be fined $30,000, Keenum said.

Subsequent violations will cost MSU $50,000 apiece. The first two violations in 2010 carried a fine of $5,000  and $25,000.

Michael Porkleone

On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

jbcarol

QuoteI'm sure the only person using a cowbell was the guy sitting directly in front of me. Use your ears, there are hundreds being used.

I can't help it your fans can't create a hostile environment with your voices.

AverageHogFan who was at the game.

Michael Porkleone

jbcarol

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on June 04, 2011, 07:10:34 am
Pretty witty, huh?

:)

Nice.  Liked the video.  You should e-mail link to Brandon Marcello the former Arkansas and current State beat writer.  He claimed the Arkansas at MSU game was the loudest he had covered.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: jbcarol on June 04, 2011, 07:30:53 am
Nice.  Liked the video.  You should e-mail link to Brandon Marcello the former Arkansas and current State beat writer.  He claimed the Arkansas at MSU game was the loudest he had covered.

At the time I think I did. 

As you can tell, I was sitting alone in the MSU section (no Cardinal within 50 people on each side of me).  The MSU fans were actually pretty cool with me - except at the end of the game.

jbcarol

From the Atlanta regional moments ago:

QuotePolice officer just confiscated a cowbell from a Mississippi State fan. He was leading fan out.

BMarcello

jbcarol

QuoteFan ejected because he "smarted off" to the policeman. He got his bell back but he can't come back in.

Governor Rick Cleveland

jbcarol

Michael Thompson the Ole Miss spokesman for Rebel, the Black Bear had an update.

Rebel's absence at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium was a strategic decision but not in the way most fans expected.

Thompson said by his estimate two adults in left field booed the mascot when it took the field.

But that lasted for only 10 seconds, because Rebel was surrounded by smiling children.

Makes it kind of hard to boo the mascot in that setting.

Pig in the Pokey

June 13, 2011, 07:36:17 am #267 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:38:05 am by Pig in the Poke
Those bells were ringing like CRAZY on crucial 3rd downs, redzone plays, etc. all through our game last year. RIDICULOUS!! Who cares if they donated to the SEC slush fund afterward? I used to say, "Let them keep their bells." Now I wanna blast airhorns in their collective earholes.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

heathtits

Quote from: Pig in the Poke on June 13, 2011, 07:36:17 am
Those bells were ringing like CRAZY on crucial 3rd downs, redzone plays, etc. all through our game last year. RIDICULOUS!! Who cares if they donated to the SEC slush fund afterward? I used to say, "Let them keep their bells." Now I wanna blast airhorns in their collective earholes.

No joke, its completely an unfair advantage and it makes is MISERABLE to be there and watch.

Thank god we have them at home.

hawgeathawg

Quote from: heathtits on June 13, 2011, 10:18:14 am
No joke, its completely an unfair advantage and it makes is MISERABLE to be there and watch.

Thank god we have them at home.

Are they allowed to bring them in to away venues, or is it just a home thing?

heathtits

Quote from: hawgeathawg on June 13, 2011, 10:35:48 am
Are they allowed to bring them in to away venues, or is it just a home thing?

Just home.

I mean I guess they "could" but I'm sure they'd confiscate them pretty quickly.

josh_sec33

They bring those things into RRS stadium this year, I PROMISE you they'd eb confiscated quickly.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

heathtits

Quote from: josh_sec33 on June 13, 2011, 11:52:34 am
They bring those things into RRS stadium this year, I PROMISE you they'd eb confiscated quickly.

They won't be I don't think since we play them in WMS right?

choicesthops

As Hog fans we should all be pulling for Mississippi St. tonight. We need LSU to get as hit with as many losses as they can. I personally believe they are not overrated, and thus they have a much better chance of going 11-1 or something similar at the end of the season.

To get to the national championship, we will have to be undefeated. For national championship prospects, it doesn't matter who wins tonight. The next best thing is the SEC championship and the Sugar Bowl. To get to those games, we'll have to have two losses maximum, and more than likely have to go 11-1 or better.

Although I expect a spanking of MSU tonight, THEY NEED MORE COWBELL!

Pigsknuckles

Saw Blue Oyster Cult in Tulsa a few weeks ago. Heard not one cowbell. Not even from the band.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hogdude72

Quote from: choicesthops on September 15, 2011, 03:27:43 pm
As Hog fans we should all be pulling for Mississippi St. tonight. We need LSU to get as hit with as many losses as they can. I personally believe they are not overrated, and thus they have a much better chance of going 11-1 or something similar at the end of the season.

To get to the national championship, we will have to be undefeated. For national championship prospects, it doesn't matter who wins tonight. The next best thing is the SEC championship and the Sugar Bowl. To get to those games, we'll have to have two losses maximum, and more than likely have to go 11-1 or better.

Although I expect a spanking of MSU tonight, THEY NEED MORE COWBELL!

I hope the dawgs are barking deep into the night.

razorbackkid

This might be one of the better matchups of the season in the SEC.  I'm not pulling for either team to win, but a close, hard fought game will leave both teams bruised and abused.

Gotta love the SEC West.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

choicesthops

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on September 15, 2011, 03:56:39 pm
Saw Blue Oyster Cult in Tulsa a few weeks ago. Heard not one cowbell. Not even from the band.

johnny cash

pignosticator

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.

— John Heisman (1869–1936), legendary football coach for whom the Heisman Trophy is named

BAMAPERRY

If they don't pull a Defense out of their arse, they're doomed. Manny Diaz was a big loss.

jry04

I am pulling for LSU because I would rather them be hyped up when we go into Baton Rouge and beat them. MSU is going to have 3 or 4 losses when we play them in LR. The LSU game could be between two 1 or no loss teams.

Rockhawg

After giving this alot of thought, i want the HOGS to meet LSU for all of the marbles.
We have been begging for a rivalry game since we joined the SEC and we got a little closer last year when we beat them for the right to play in the Sugar Bowl.
I want to beat them this year while we are both undefeated. I promise, that will seal the deal.
I will swallow hard and hope LSWHO stays unbeaten till they meet us.

hawganatic

Sorry brah, but I want LSU to be pristine when we play them in Nov.  I want that game to be for the West with a possible trip to the NC game on the line for both teams. 

GB-Razorback

I am going LSwho.  I want to be having a big turkey, dressing and gravy sammich the day after Thanksgiving when the #3 Razorbacks curb stomp the #1 LSU in death valley (38-21 final by the way).  WPS!
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.<br /><br />Jake: Hit it.

PigWig

booogaga

GO HOGS!

choicesthops

It's wrong to pull for LSU if you want what's best for Arkansas. It's against the best interests of our program. It doesn't matter if LSU is undefeated at the end of the season if we beat them when we are undefeated. If we're undefeated and beat a 11-1 or 10-2 LSU program we still go to the national championship game. It's irrelevant. We need all the help we can get to go to a BCS game and any loss given to the LSU program helps our program. Period.

A.K.A.

Quote from: choicesthops on September 15, 2011, 05:17:07 pm
It's wrong to pull for LSU if you want what's best for Arkansas. It's against the best interests of our program. It doesn't matter if LSU is undefeated at the end of the season if we beat them when we are undefeated. If we're undefeated and beat a 11-1 or 10-2 LSU program we still go to the national championship game. It's irrelevant. We need all the help we can get to go to a BCS game and any loss given to the LSU program helps our program. Period.

That is where you could be wrong. What if OU and any currently ranked team ahead of us are undefeated at the end of the year. Beating an undefeated LSU would put us in the running ahead of them (should be ahead of them anyways based on computers, but you never know).

Assuming we take care of business and win out, then we want LSU to win this game tonight.
Home town of Texarkana Arkansas

010HogFan

choicesthops

Quote from: A.K.A. on September 15, 2011, 05:25:50 pm
That is where you could be wrong. What if OU and any currently ranked team ahead of us are undefeated at the end of the year. Beating an undefeated LSU would put us in the running ahead of them (should be ahead of them anyways based on computers, but you never know).

Assuming we take care of business and win out, then we want LSU to win this game tonight.

An undefeated SEC team will always go to the national championship game. Boise St would not go over an undefeated SEC team. Pulling for LSU to win so  undefeated Hog and Tiger teams play for all the marbles sound fairy tale awesome, but national championships are still a longshot for EVERY team and and BCS bid would still be amazing to get. For us to get the bid, we need LSU to lose a couple of games.

razorbackkid

Quote from: A.K.A. on September 15, 2011, 05:25:50 pm

I can see it both ways.  The strength of schedule in the SEC West is ridiculous no matter what.  A once beaten LSU is a heck of a lot tougher than most any other team in any conference.  Then you have to win the Conference Championship game. 

No easy road to the N.C. game, not from the SEC West Division.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Smokehouse

Quote from: choicesthops on September 15, 2011, 05:29:50 pm
An undefeated SEC team will always go to the national championship game. Boise St would not go over an undefeated SEC team. Pulling for LSU to win so  undefeated Hog and Tiger teams play for all the marbles sound fairy tale awesome, but national championships are still a longshot for EVERY team and and BCS bid would still be amazing to get. For us to get the bid, we need LSU to lose a couple of games.

style points matter in the BCS, especially at the end of the season, and a hyped game of undefeated teams would give style to the winner.

The Hogs have been getting more respect from the media of late, but honestly, if an SEC team was going to get shafted and left out of the BCSNCG in favor of two other undefeated schools, don't you think it would be us?
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

booogaga

either way i hate both teams. i wish they could both lose
GO HOGS!

missippihog

Quote from: hawganatic on September 15, 2011, 05:10:47 pm
Sorry brah, but I want LSU to be pristine when we play them in Nov.  I want that game to be for the West with a possible trip to the NC game on the line for both teams. 

This.

hogwild210

Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

go hogues

Not me. Go Tigers! I want MSU buried early. They are too dangerous.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The Great Hambino

It would be beneficial for our title hopes for LSU to win. I want them undefeated and ranked #1, with us being #2 when we go down there and spank them.

jry04

Quote from: choicesthops on September 15, 2011, 05:17:07 pm
A 11-0 LSU team would be ranked #2 or #1. A 10-1 or 9-2 LSU team will be anywhere from barely in the top 10 to 20th. It makes a world of difference at the end of the season when every week the BCS ratings could change. The Hogs just have to take care of business and win the games in front of them and we will be fine. If we win all the games on our schedule than it wont matter who wins the game tonight.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 15, 2011, 05:07:28 pm
I am pulling for LSU because I would rather them be hyped up when we go into Baton Rouge and beat them. MSU is going to have 3 or 4 losses when we play them in LR. The LSU game could be between two 1 or no loss teams.

I want LSU undefeated and ranked #1 when we beat them!!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy