Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What do you look for in a teams recruiting class?

Started by razorjack12, December 22, 2013, 09:58:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorjack12

I look for the following, in order of importance:

(1). A teams overall recruiting ranking (rivals)

(2).  How many 4-5* DL a team signed

Most coaches say that what separates the SEC from other conferences is the strength of the DL. 

(3).  How many 5 Star players a team signed . . .especially at QB, other skill positions, and DL

A 5* QB might be worth 2-4 additional wins per year.  See: Cam Newton, Jameis Winston.  Houston Nutt rode McFadden to extra wins every year. 

(4).  How many 4-5* OL a team signed

(5).   How many 4-5* RB and WR a team signed.

WR is an easy position to fill, and I am not overly impressed by a recruits ranking at this position.   While a 4*+ ranking is nice for a WR, I also look at their height...I love a height mismatch against an opposing teams secondary.

RB - having a stable of 4*+ RBs is essential

(6).  I place the least amount of stock in highly ranked players in the secondary.  How many busts have we seen at this position?

SO, what do you look for in a teams recruiting class?

jm

The top priorities have to be offensive line and linebackers. If you are dominant in those 2 areas it removes pressure from everyone else.
\

Missooie

HawgFan70

1. How many 4-5 star they have

2. I look at the offer lists of the 2 and 3 stars they have

3. LB's I think LB is the main position on a football team you cant mask or hide

being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

JaketheSnake

Do we fill out needs and are we scrambling to fill out the class by offering lots of kids in the last week before NSD

Bubba's Bruisers

1.  I look at the offer sheets regardless of stars.  Did we load up on guys with legit offers?

2.  I opine whether or not we got lots of players with lots of legit offers to fill our positional needs.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redeye

1. Average player rating

It's not that uncommon for a team with fewer 4-5 star players to have a better overall player average. And I don't care where the teams rank, because that's subjective to what scouts think they need.

Skill position ratings seem to be worth more today then in the past. At QB, it seems like very few 5 star players ever materialized at the position. Several years ago, I would have taken a 5-star lineman over an equally rated skill player any day. Unlike you, I think a 5-star WR can make a big difference, because those are often the guys who can make one-handed catches or out jump/run secondary players.

With secondary players, there are many who are overrated, but we also seem to sign more then our share of them.

tophawg19

i look at the offer list and does the player fill a need . and does the player fit the system . better a 3 star who fits than a 5 star who doesn't.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

razorjack12

Quote from: redeye on December 22, 2013, 06:46:32 pm
1. Average player rating

It's not that uncommon for a team with fewer 4-5 star players to have a better overall player average. And I don't care where the teams rank, because that's subjective to what scouts think they need.

Skill position ratings seem to be worth more today then in the past. At QB, it seems like very few 5 star players ever materialized at the position. Several years ago, I would have taken a 5-star lineman over an equally rated skill player any day. Unlike you, I think a 5-star WR can make a big difference, because those are often the guys who can make one-handed catches or out jump/run secondary players.

With secondary players, there are many who are overrated, but we also seem to sign more then our share of them.
You make a good point regarding a 5 star receiver.   Most 5 star players are unreal, amazing athletes.   

It would be tough for me to decide between a 5 star WR or a 5 star DT.   Most WR are 3 or 4 star, and I dont think there is much difference between them.  However I think there is a lot of difference between a 3 and 4 star DT.

Mike_e

Whether they've filled their needs- you can get 25 - 5 stars but if they're all one or two positions then you're still screwed.

Then explosion, frame and balance.  If they have explosion then they'll have a good forty time.  If they have the frame they'll get the weight ~usually.  If they have great balance then they will have no shortage of other athletic abilities.

After that the offer sheets.

If I don't give a rat's whisker about the team then I'll look at their stars.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

gijoejd

I look at his Twitter and see how many followers each recruit has....

Honestly...I put more faith in the coaching staff and hope to hell they know what they are doing because I have no clue.  I know what I saw as a fan..

I can see what I believe to be weaknesses on game days and the released depth charts.  I would hope they recruit off the obvious needs of the team and recruit a guy that can be taught and fits the playing style of the coaches. 

Examples would be BP's not recruiting needed Defensive positions or how we obviously need help at QB and linemen....so we have recently recruited that well. 

Pulled(PP)pork

I don't get hung up on stars, just are we filling the needs that are most pressing.  I trust the evaluation of our coaches, they know best

PP

razorjack12

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on December 23, 2013, 07:57:14 am
I don't get hung up on stars, just are we filling the needs that are most pressing.  I trust the evaluation of our coaches, they know best

PP
This is an oft-repeated statement that is sheer nonsense on stilts.

You are assuming our coaches are getting the players they want.  For example, Coach B could evaluate that Josh Frazier was an awesome recruit which is why he offered him a scholarship.   But that didn't stop Frazier from signing with Alabama.

Your statement implies that if Coach B signs a 3 star DT instead of the 4 star Frazier, that its only because Coach B knows how to evaluate talent; and is only recruiting for needs of the team.                   

Thats just stupidity in action.   

ThreeWayInn

Quote from: JaketheSnake on December 22, 2013, 06:20:22 pm
Do we fill out needs and are we scrambling to fill out the class by offering lots of kids in the last week before NSD

This is it.....if we offer early and get the kid...then I am satisfied the coaches got those at the top end of their own board....don't care about Rivals' board or espn's board.

Then of course...they need to hit their marks for each position...or else you end up with the situation like we see now at linebacker.

If you see a lot of late offers or hear names in the last few weeks you know they are scrambling to hit those marks because the one's they wanted the most are going elsewhere....sometimes those kids work out great...but he odds are longer.

gmarv

filling needs with quality,high character kids who will be here 3 or 4 years.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: razorjack12 on December 24, 2013, 10:06:56 am
This is an oft-repeated statement that is sheer nonsense on stilts.

You are assuming our coaches are getting the players they want.  For example, Coach B could evaluate that Josh Frazier was an awesome recruit which is why he offered him a scholarship.   But that didn't stop Frazier from signing with Alabama.

Your statement implies that if Coach B signs a 3 star DT instead of the 4 star Frazier, that its only because Coach B knows how to evaluate talent; and is only recruiting for needs of the team.                   

Thats just stupidity in action.
because BB has shown he doesn't know how to coach up, right?

PP