Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marvin Lewis_Bengals

Started by 95_alum, September 15, 2017, 12:13:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

95_alum

15th season. 0-7 in the postseason. Does he need more time? I don't understand why he's still there.

Dr. Starcs

I can think of one reason.

Even screamin a smith was calling for his firing two years ago.

95_alum

Then there's the front office:
Mike Brown
Paul Brown
Pete Brown
Katie Blackburn
Troy Blackburn

Rudy Baylor

they're probably going to give him the respect that translates into waiting until the season is over

bennyl08

Quote from: 95_alum on September 15, 2017, 12:13:47 pm
15th season. 0-7 in the postseason. Does he need more time? I don't understand why he's still there.

He's done better than most anybody else there.

Out of 14 full seasons, only 4 losing seasons is pretty good. 4 years in a row with double digit wins is really good. As is 5 playoff appearances in a row.

The difference between success and failure is very small. Take their qb for example. Dalton is never going to be good enough to win a superbowl. He's essentially the standard by which other qb's are judged. If your guy is better than Dalton, keep him. If he's worse than Dalton, then dump him.

Lewis brought the Bengals to the playoffs 5 years in a row with last year being the first year they didn't make it and the team had a lot of injuries. Most teams don't make the playoffs and even more don't become regular playoff teams. That is not something you easily toss away.

However, Bengals also have yet to win a playoff game with him. So, the Bengals are in a tough spot. In 14 seasons, he's doubled the franchises playoff appearances, a team that's been around for 50 years, and his success in Cincy has been slowly but steadily growing. However, they basically also know that what they have is never going to bring home the hardware at the end of the season.

Odds are, if you fire him and get a new coach, your next 10 years will make you remember fondly the previous 10 as they will likely take a long time to find somebody else who can win there. However, they also know that even if they keep him as the HC, they probably won't win a super bowl in the next 10 years either.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse