Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS Sportswriter crystal ball of SEC coaching searches

Started by Hogwild, November 06, 2017, 11:51:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FraggleHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 12:37:02 pm
Norvell is not coming to Arkansas given his likely options. He'd be beyond stupid to do so. If he comes to Arkansas, we'll know that he is not very intelligent.

Memphis is better than the Arkansas program and has been for at least 5 years. Why? Better recruiting grounds. Memphis high school football is 5x better than any HS football in entire state of Arkansas. Those kids sign with Memphis and they are rarely too celebrated...most ranked 2 and 3 stars, like most Arkansas recruits. Difference is, a 3 star in Memphis is a 4 to 5 in state of Arkansas. The competition in Memphis HS football is far greater in general than anywhere in Arkansas. Norvell and Fuente before him had this working for them. If Norvell comes to Arkansas, expect more Bielema-like results unless Norvell is able to get Memphis area players to come to Arkansas.

I stopped reading after you said this...
Calling the Hogs from DFW

tbhogfan

I agree with Neal Brown as a really good choice for Arkansas.  Since we couldn't even out-Alabama Coastal Carolina, it seems pretty obvious that we need to go back to a more Petrino-like system.  We already have the QB for it.

I also think that Blake Anderson at Arkansas State is going to get some attention.  He's won two straight Sun Belt titles, and may well be on his way to a third.  They almost beat Nebraska on the road this year as well. 
Go Hogs!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 01:46:24 pm
If Memphis was 8-1, but doing it 21-17 every week running the I no one would be on him for the job.

Now that...is gospel truth.  What if GA Tech was 8-0 right now and had beaten Clemson?  Even I would know that PJ FINALLY got a stacked backfield and some guys who could block, and that it's probably a flash in the pan.  No way fans would want him here running that offense. 

"We just want to win."  Yeah, that's NOT the sentiment when Hatfield was here winning 10 a season with a boring style. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

GuvHog

Quote from: tbhogfan on November 06, 2017, 01:53:01 pm
I agree with Neal Brown as a really good choice for Arkansas.  Since we couldn't even out-Alabama Coastal Carolina, it seems pretty obvious that we need to go back to a more Petrino-like system.  We already have the QB for it.

I also think that Blake Anderson at Arkansas State is going to get some attention.  He's won two straight Sun Belt titles, and may well be on his way to a third.  They almost beat Nebraska on the road this year as well. 

Yep, Blake Anderson is a good one. He's #5 on my wish list of coaches to replace CBB.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jneal56

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 12:04:00 pm
Actually 6: AR, OM, A&M, TN, FLA, + someone leaving another school for another job. 

You didn't read it correctly. He said 5 openings in the SEC West. Meaning everyone except Alabama and LSU.
"At least we are moral"

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: tbhogfan on November 06, 2017, 01:53:01 pm

Brown is definitely an interesting candidate. He's done well last year and so far this year. I really don't know much about him.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 06, 2017, 01:44:40 pm
It tickles me the support Norvell has on this site when his only contact is his wife and he played at UCA. Which by the way these same fans ridicule UCA and abhor the Idea of playing them.

Norvell is one of the hottest names in coaching right now. His name is on literally every list for potential openings. The fact that it is well known that he has an affection for our state and the fact that it is known that he would choose arkansas over bigger jobs endears him to the fans. I dont care if he played for the muleriders. If he wants to be here and he is the best guy for the job, then awesome. Sometimes the stars just align the right way.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 06, 2017, 01:54:05 pm
Now that...is gospel truth.  What if GA Tech was 8-0 right now and had beaten Clemson?  Even I would know that PJ FINALLY got a stacked backfield and some guys who could block, and that it's probably a flash in the pan.  No way fans would want him here running that offense. 

"We just want to win."  Yeah, that's NOT the sentiment when Hatfield was here winning 10 a season with a boring style. 

I have a feeling many of the posters here grew up in the late 80's and heard their dads whining all the time about how "boring" Hatfield's offense was.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 02:19:43 pm
I have a feeling many of the posters here grew up in the late 80's and heard their dads whining all the time about how "boring" Hatfield's offense was.

I grew up in the 60's and early 70's (GCT Class of '75) and I don't care what offense they run, I just want them to win.

The Hawg Marshal

Hatfield's offense was not only boring, the landscape of college football was in transition, Miami and Florida State and others were changing the way football was played. We needed to change our offense to keep up with the new powers. It didn't happen , for whatever reason.

Cinco de Hogo

These days one thing to consider with up and comers from smaller schools is what they are doing at that level with the payers they can recruit is different than what they will have available at Arkansas.  Maybe it's all relative and this post is meant for discussion not argument.  What I'm getting at is requirements.  We all know that the P5 conference schools requirements are stiffer for the most part.  We all know that the behavioral scrutiny is brighter at P5 schools. 

So what exactly do YOU look at?   Who on this board has more than a vague knowledge of how to rank coaches?  I guess I have my hot buttons but in the end that's only a very small portion of the knowledge I would need to make a decision.  Now that doesn't mean that any AD has all that knowledge, just that in order to make a hire he has to gather the information to make the final decision.

How would you go about it?

King Kong

Quote from: k.c.hawg on November 06, 2017, 01:00:12 pm
Every time I think I have read the stupidest, least intellectual, total lack of knowledge post, I get HiM'd again!!

Yeah he is an idiot

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 06, 2017, 02:24:50 pm
Hatfield's offense was not only boring, the landscape of college football was in transition, Miami and Florida State and others were changing the way football was played. We needed to change our offense to keep up with the new powers. It didn't happen , for whatever reason.

Somewhat...I'll agree. But, it could also be argued that his flexbone offense was also good enough to beat most teams, until we faced an elite defense.  That's why we beat the teams we were supposed to beat most of the time, but couldn't get past Texas and usually one other team every year.  I think fans felt that was our ceiling, and they wanted more.  It didn't help that it coincided with the ridiculously entertaining years under Nolan either, right?   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 02:26:41 pm
These days one thing to consider with up and comers from smaller schools is what they are doing at that level with the payers they can recruit is different than what they will have available at Arkansas.  Maybe it's all relative and this post is meant for discussion not argument.  What I'm getting at is requirements.  We all know that the P5 conference schools requirements are stiffer for the most part.  We all know that the behavioral scrutiny is brighter at P5 schools. 

So what exactly do YOU look at?   Who on this board has more than a vague knowledge of how to rank coaches?  I guess I have my hot buttons but in the end that's only a very small portion of the knowledge I would need to make a decision.  Now that doesn't mean that any AD has all that knowledge, just that in order to make a hire he has to gather the information to make the final decision.

How would you go about it?

For normal AD's, or for JL?  I think JL will likely start by having a letter writing contest.   ;D  "Send a letter on why I should pick you to be the next UA coach." 

draftkings33

Quote from: Hollywood870 on November 06, 2017, 11:56:06 am
I watched the LSU Troy game and was impressed with Troy's offensive system.
Were you impressed the next week vs. a no name when they had ZERO points late in the game?

247Hog

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 06, 2017, 01:44:40 pm
It tickles me the support Norvell has on this site when his only contact is his wife and he played at UCA. Which by the way these same fans ridicule UCA and abhor the Idea of playing them.

His only contact is his wife (and her family) and he played at a school in Arkansas...if those aren't two things that is each big positives, what do you actually considered substantially bigger?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on November 06, 2017, 02:24:20 pm
I grew up in the 60's and early 70's (GCT Class of '75) and I don't care what offense they run, I just want them to win.

So you'd be okay with Paul Johnson, or the guy from Navy ( and I am not even going to try to spell his name ). See, the problem is, no one knows in advance how many games a coach is or is not going to win.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hogwild on November 06, 2017, 11:51:28 am
SEC Coaching Projections of the Week:

There are going to be a lot of coaching changes in the SEC this offseason. The Florida job is already open, Tennessee looks likely to follow, and the West could have four of its teams looking for a new coach this winter with Kevin Sumlin seemingly on the outs at Texas A&M and if Dan Mullen decides to move on from Starkville, Mississippi.

So, for the sake of toying with people's lives, I've decided I want to do some coaching projections for this winter. Jerry Palm gets to do our playoff and bowl projections, and I want to do this. So these are my best guesses as to which coach will be leading the respective SEC schools below come 2018.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-monday-after-the-big-ten-may-want-to-rethink-its-divisional-structure/

Arkansas could do worse than Neal Brown.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

majp51

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 01:39:26 pm
Except the only coach you would get to sign that deal would be :

one with thr worst agent ever

one that is too dumb to know better

one that is so bad he'd probably work for even less

That is just not how it works, and no coach worth anything is going to sign a deal like that.

So you are saying JLS might, and I stress, might take the deal. I'm not sure even he meets all the above criteria

Lady Razorback

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 12:04:00 pm
Actually 6: AR, OM, A&M, TN, FLA, + someone leaving another school for another job.

Florida is in the east, right?

hogsanity

Quote from: jneal56 on November 06, 2017, 01:56:46 pm
You didn't read it correctly. He said 5 openings in the SEC West. Meaning everyone except Alabama and LSU.

oops my bad on that.

GuvHog

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 06, 2017, 02:35:21 pm
For normal AD's, or for JL?  I think JL will likely start by having a letter writing contest.   ;D  "Send a letter on why I should pick you to be the next UA coach."

Well since I don't want Long making the next hire I'm naming you our next AD. 😊

AirWarren

draftkings33

majp51

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 06, 2017, 01:50:13 pm
Totally agree.  Population alone is our biggest enemy...it's a numbers game.  What it comes down to is simple.  How well you recruit, according to the national rankings, has a direct correlation with your chances of being one of the top teams in the country.  People can argue that the stars are always slanted toward the power teams' recruits just because they recruit them, etc, etc., but the rankings couldn't be off season after season, or we would see some outliers sneaking in more often.  Couple that with the FACT that the majority of players still go to college within 250 miles of their home, and it stacks the deck against us even more.   

That having been said...I do think we miss on some deserving Arkansas kids every year.  Some go elsewhere because they aren't sought after hard enough, and some are ignored for one reason or another.  Meanwhile, I don't see anything dramatic with regard to differences between Hammonds and Whaley, as one example, and yet one was heralded as being from THE HS football state, and one wasn't.  I think historically...Arkansas' kids tend to rank about a star less, simply because people aren't convinced they play against stout enough competition.  Maybe that's fair...maybe it's not.  But...we're seeing UCA and ASU being pretty successful, and while I haven't checked their rosters, I'm guessing they probably have quite a few Arkansas kids on their teams, and a few of them could probably be doing well in UA uniforms.

I'll go so far as to suggest that maybe we should consider taking some Arkansas kids who are 2 and 3 star above some out of state recruits that are a star higher and just see how it pans out.  I mean...could it yield results that are much worse???   

Part of the problem, especially with the current coaching crew is they lack imagination.

Jamaal Anderson if he had come to the U of A under CBB would have become a 3rd Strnig, rarely used TE (since that was what he wanted)

This staff doesn't seem to fill out the roster with the best talent they can find and mold into positions of need, they recruit Offense, plus position of need.

AirWarren

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 06, 2017, 01:50:13 pm
Totally agree.  Population alone is our biggest enemy...it's a numbers game.  What it comes down to is simple.  How well you recruit, according to the national rankings, has a direct correlation with your chances of being one of the top teams in the country.  People can argue that the stars are always slanted toward the power teams' recruits just because they recruit them, etc, etc., but the rankings couldn't be off season after season, or we would see some outliers sneaking in more often.  Couple that with the FACT that the majority of players still go to college within 250 miles of their home, and it stacks the deck against us even more.   

That having been said...I do think we miss on some deserving Arkansas kids every year.  Some go elsewhere because they aren't sought after hard enough, and some are ignored for one reason or another.  Meanwhile, I don't see anything dramatic with regard to differences between Hammonds and Whaley, as one example, and yet one was heralded as being from THE HS football state, and one wasn't.  I think historically...Arkansas' kids tend to rank about a star less, simply because people aren't convinced they play against stout enough competition.  Maybe that's fair...maybe it's not.  But...we're seeing UCA and ASU being pretty successful, and while I haven't checked their rosters, I'm guessing they probably have quite a few Arkansas kids on their teams, and a few of them could probably be doing well in UA uniforms.

I'll go so far as to suggest that maybe we should consider taking some Arkansas kids who are 2 and 3 star above some out of state recruits that are a star higher and just see how it pans out.  I mean...could it yield results that are much worse???   

Another problem is that AR seems to only produce SEC level players at certain positions. Lots of Rb/WR/OL, very few LB/DB/DL.

HF#1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 12:37:02 pm
Norvell is not coming to Arkansas given his likely options. He'd be beyond stupid to do so. If he comes to Arkansas, we'll know that he is not very intelligent.

Memphis is better than the Arkansas program and has been for at least 5 years. Why? Better recruiting grounds. Memphis high school football is 5x better than any HS football in entire state of Arkansas. Those kids sign with Memphis and they are rarely too celebrated...most ranked 2 and 3 stars, like most Arkansas recruits. Difference is, a 3 star in Memphis is a 4 to 5 in state of Arkansas. The competition in Memphis HS football is far greater in general than anywhere in Arkansas. Norvell and Fuente before him had this working for them. If Norvell comes to Arkansas, expect more Bielema-like results unless Norvell is able to get Memphis area players to come to Arkansas.

No local bias here...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

dc10x5555

no one beats Gus's offense.  bring him home and be convinced.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 03:17:58 pm
Well since I don't want Long making the next hire I'm naming you our next AD. 😊

Seems legit.  I'll have a letter writing contest, but in mine, I'll have Hogville posters send me their recommendations for who to hire, and why.  We'll see once and for all if Hogville really has any "experts."   ;) ;D

PorkRinds

Quote from: dc10x5555 on November 06, 2017, 04:52:52 pm
no one beats Gus's offense.  bring him home and be convinced.

Except all the people that have beat his offense.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 04:37:46 pm
Another problem is that AR seems to only produce SEC level players at certain positions. Lots of Rb/WR/OL, very few LB/DB/DL.

Well, in 2012, I GUARANTEE you there were better defensive backs on the teams in NWA than what we had on the field!  It does seem to hold true in general though, but we've whiffed a lot lately on players that were thought to be better than they've panned out to be, and we probably would have done just as well with some in-state kids. 

Vantage 8 dude

Olla

I hear Les Miles is looking for a job. You guys could hire him  ;D ;).

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Olla on November 06, 2017, 05:27:29 pm
I hear Les Miles is looking for a job. You guys could hire him  ;D ;).

I would ban you if I could.   >:(   :puke:   And I'll throw this one in if it really happens.   :'(

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogblitz on November 06, 2017, 01:50:17 pm
I agree with many of your posts.  However, I do not agree with ANYTHING in this post.  Quite frankly, I hope you are kidding because it's laughable.   I have lived in the Memphis Area for about 33 years.  The high school football is garbage over here. The state of Arkansas has better high school talent than here.  Memphis football has been GARBAGE for years and years.  The fan support is terrible.  Do you remember the days of Tommy West putting 600 to 800 people in the stands?  That is no joke.  One game they had that.  The facilities are that of a high school.  The stadium needs major upgrades.  And you say because of Memphis's record the last 3 or 4 years it's a better job.  Hahahaha.  Norvell would choose Arkansas over both Florida and Tennessee in a heart beat!  If we are smart enough to offer him, he will be on the hill on 2018!  If you can win at Memphis with the lack of recruiting grounds and resources, you are a great coach.  You can win anywhere!
I lived there 31 years. I watched hs football there for half of that. LR football wishes it had 10% of the division 1 recruits that Memphis does. So does the entire state of Arkansas. Memphis, at 600,000 pop, puts out more Div 1 players than does the entire state of Ark. You are referencing 20 years ago. I am pointing out what the case is today. Arkansas is terrible and Memphis is ranked. Memphis HS football has something to do with that. Norvell will not come to Arkansas. He will take the TN job or Fla job over Arkansas and will not have to think about it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 06, 2017, 12:16:57 pm
I would rather have Norvell, but I'd be ok with this guy as well. I'll be happy as long as BB is gone.

I'm with you on this. As long as Bret is not roaming Razorback sidelines next season Im all for it.

Paul

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 12:45:02 pm
I knew I'd get this from some of you who do not know jack about Memphis HS football...I lived there for 30 years. On top of that, take it personal when Arkansas high school football is called what it really is.
I've lived twice as long in the Memphis area than you & it's clear to me you know very little about Memphis HS football, Norvell or the Razorback program

Hogwild

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Paul on November 06, 2017, 09:57:22 pm
I've lived twice as long in the Memphis area than you & it's clear to me you know very little about Memphis HS football, Norvell or the Razorback program
You're obviously the guru of all things football due to your time in Memphis. Makes perfect sense. Bestow some of your knowledge on us instead of just teasing us by simply saying I do not know what I am talking about. We'll see where Norvell goes. I bet it is not Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Pork Twain

Quote from: tusked on November 06, 2017, 11:58:53 am
Some of these writers don't know that Norvell has Arkansas contacts and a real history in the state.  They just put names with schools.  They think since Memphis is in TN then the next progression is UT.
As I beat this horse to death in another post, maybe they think he will just take the best job and not be driven to come back to Arkansas, as many fans believe.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Porkchop#1

Porkchop#1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 07, 2017, 04:52:31 am
You're obviously the guru of all things football due to your time in Memphis. Makes perfect sense. Bestow some of your knowledge on us instead of just teasing us by simply saying I do not know what I am talking about. We'll see where Norvell goes. I bet it is not Arkansas.
See if you can get McKinney Hawg to bet with you.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 09:13:06 pm
I lived there 31 years. I watched hs football there for half of that. LR football wishes it had 10% of the division 1 recruits that Memphis does. So does the entire state of Arkansas. Memphis, at 600,000 pop, puts out more Div 1 players than does the entire state of Ark. You are referencing 20 years ago. I am pointing out what the case is today. Arkansas is terrible and Memphis is ranked. Memphis HS football has something to do with that. Norvell will not come to Arkansas. He will take the TN job or Fla job over Arkansas and will not have to think about it.

While, Memphis' population is just over 650,000, the Memphis Metropolitan area, from which UofM draws a number of players, is more than twice that at approx. 1.3 million.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hayduke

Neal Brown wasn't mentioned by Ward, so this thread is pure conjecture. The author should have consulted with NWA brass first.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 01:46:24 pm
If Memphis was 8-1, but doing it 21-17 every week running the I no one would be on him for the job.

But they're not so...
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: GuvHog on November 06, 2017, 02:24:20 pm

You still live in Paragould?
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Nosboar Accubond

I didn't realize Norvell holds the all-time receptions record at UCA.