Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Personal Property Tax Question

Started by DevilHog1775, March 04, 2014, 01:59:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DevilHog1775

Currently active duty and stationed here in Arkansas, although a military non-resident of Illinois. Every time we have got a new vehicle and went to register it with the local dmv, they make you go to the acessors office for Personal Property Tax.

My question is, is there a way around this and why would I have to pay PPT if im a Non-Resident.

(Other info; currently have a Arkansas drivers license, wife has a California drivers license. When registerd previous I had an Illinois drivers license and they told me I still had to pay. Only transfered to Arkansas so I could purchase weapons easier)

If any info please help with this matter, and also I am leaving the state soon, what happens if I dont pay the personal property tax and when I execute orders and proceed to my next duty station I pick up new tags? Thanks for the help!!!

Flying Razorback

I'm in the same boat as you.  Although I am originally a resident of Arkansas, I picked up Oklahoma residency while Active Duty there.  I am now Active Duty in Arkansas as a non-resident.  I just bring in a copy of that month's LES from MyPay every time I register my vehicles or boat.  Because it shows state of residence as "Oklahoma" I don't have to walk over to the assessors.  I've never actually had to visit the assessors counter in my 2 years and 5 trips to the DMV.  I just hand them my LES and say "I'm an Oklahoma resident here on Active Duty."  They just let me pay for my plates and wish me a good day.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

DevilHog1775

Awesome, mabey its just a pain because of where I am at and they probably arent use to it. I will try again, but over the last 3 years have just put up with it and paid it for the last 2. Do you know if there is a penalty for not paying, like it hitting my credit or any type of collections/small claims?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: DevilHog1775 on March 04, 2014, 02:06:12 pm
Awesome, mabey its just a pain because of where I am at and they probably arent use to it. I will try again, but over the last 3 years have just put up with it and paid it for the last 2. Do you know if there is a penalty for not paying, like it hitting my credit or any type of collections/small claims?

I think they just won't let you register your vehicle and get your plates if you don't pay it.  However, I haven't paid a dime in the past 2 years for our 2 vehicles and our boat.  Like I said, it's specifically waived by the Arkansas revenue service for non-residents who are here for Active Duty service.

From here: http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/motorVehicle/Pages/VehicleTagRenewal.aspx

Vehicle Registration for Military Personnel
The following documents are required to register and title a new or used vehicle:
If Arkansas is your home of record the requirements are the same as for an Arkansas resident, regardless of where you are stationed.

If Arkansas is not your home of record you are exempt from assessment and personal property taxes. You must provide a copy of your leave and earnings statement for verification of your home of record and therefore can not renew by phone or internet. If your home of record is other than Arkansas and you are stationed outside of Arkansas you must register your vehicle in one of those states.

Toll free number for registration renewal help line is 1-888-389-8336.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

DevilHog1775

Awesome thank you again so much I'm going to go up there this week. Also going to try and get a refund for previous payments. I tried finding this stuff but very difficult and even spoke to the VA office in the same building and they told me I still had to pay regardless. Again thanks for the help!

SteveInArk

This is OLD info, might be relevant, might not.  I spent my entire career with the Home of Record/residency as Arkansas (never assigned here in my home state).  We had Ark tags the entire time, done through the mail, no personal property tax due, through-out those years.  I did it so I "didn't have to mess" with the rules in whatever state we were assigned.

State taxes weren't so much a big deal way back then, considering the pay scales.  Over time, I guess that is not true anymore, and you have to do the math.  Changing the state of residence (HOR) can be good, it can be bad.

I'd get qualified legal advise from the JAG office, or somewhere, before I believed what local state government officials said.  Hope you can get your past PPT payments back, DH1775.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Ragnar Hogbrok

Here at Hunter Army Airfield, GA, I simply go to the legal office and fill out an "ad valorem tax exemption" form.  I am a resident of Arkansas (Arkansas driver's license) and I have GA plates and registrations for my vehicles and I pay no property tax to GA.

Most states have an ad valorem exemption for military personnel.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hogginbama

Nate, same with Alabama and Indiana.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on March 04, 2014, 09:08:47 pm
Here at Hunter Army Airfield, GA, I simply go to the legal office and fill out an "ad valorem tax exemption" form.  I am a resident of Arkansas (Arkansas driver's license) and I have GA plates and registrations for my vehicles and I pay no property tax to GA.

Most states have an ad valorem exemption for military personnel.

I'm assuming you didn't purchase a house in GA, Nate? 
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on March 13, 2014, 07:07:07 am
I'm assuming you didn't purchase a house in GA, Nate? 

I did.  I pay property tax on my house to GA.  However, I think I should be able to claim a homestead tax exemption.  Still researching the GA statute concerning the homestead tax exemption.

I'm not a legal resident of Georgia.  I still paid income tax to Arkansas until this year, when Arkansas implemented new legislation exempting military personnel from paying income tax to the state.  I still vote in my district in Crawford County, AR, etc.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

cubsfan5150

Well let me know if you find a way out of the taxes, as I paid a couple of grand last year and I would gladly take it back.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.