Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Four Weeks of Recruiting

Started by Oklahawg, January 01, 2008, 06:52:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

The next 4 weeks of recruiting will tell us a lot. Recruits should see that we have lots of holes that need filled. Lots of promise that was unfilled.

Petrino can sell aggressively without dissing the team -- we are a player or two away.

I don't expect panic moves (ie, JUCO QB). I expect methodical progress towards building depth and acquiring frontline talent.

Nothing about the bowl game hurts UA unless they went head-to-head vs Mizzou for a player.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

oldfart

this next four weeks will be of tremendous importance to the hog program.  Let's see how Petrino and his group do on the recruiting trail, I hope they will surprise us by their effectiveness in just a short period of time.

Hogaliciousness

Petrino can sell the power of the Mizzou offense as a model of what he is building in our system.  On the defensive side, he has a lot to sell.  The good news is that the new coaching staff is recruiting heavy - some impressive coaches and recruiters! 
I am ready for some football!

tophawg19

i say we remove some scholarships . we have some quitters on that team . BP needs more scholarships for recruiting this year and from what i saw we have several players who don't deserve theirs.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Rooka

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 01, 2008, 07:33:05 pm
i say we remove some scholarships . we have some quitters on that team . BP needs more scholarships for recruiting this year and from what i saw we have several players who don't deserve theirs.
No doubt.

The real Hogules

The only problem with that logic is that you are only allowed to sign 25 in any one year, with an over all limit of 85 scholarships.

So, we/BP could pull 10 scholies and still only be allowed to sign 25 in this class, how's removing scholarships from players presently on scholarship going to solve anything?

Please enlighten me.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Rooka

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 01, 2008, 08:11:32 pm
The only problem with that logic is that you are only allowed to sign 25 in any one year, with an over all limit of 85 scholarships.

So, we/BP could pull 10 scholies and still only be allowed to sign 25 in this class, how's removing scholarships from players presently on scholarship going to solve anything?

Please enlighten me.
I really dont see how it could work, I was just agreeing with the statement that some players on this team dont deserve the scholly's they have.

tophawg19

simple . we have a walk-on program . and can get kids to grey shirt if you can promise them a scholarship at mid season . we did that with zak clark . also if you get some juco's that can enter at mid term they can be counted against this seasons group. we have scholarships not really being used because emert was given 1.

fortcityhog

as much as i agree that we played with absolutely NO passion on the field today. you gotta admit these are the same players that took the field against LSU late november.  Embarrassing effort today though.

Hawgballz

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 01, 2008, 07:33:05 pm

The most unthought out idea I have heard in many years.  Pulling scholarships will not increase the number of players we can sign one bit.  We already have 25 slots for 2008 and that is the maximum.  As for your idea that we sign a January enrollee and count it back to last year, we only have 1 slot open for that (we enrolled 24 this last fall) and that ship has already sailed as the January enrollees worth a scholarship have already been recruited and signed.  We had 3 good options to enroll in January, but none worked out for us.  As for your grayshirt idea, you have to convince them to pay for a full year on their own and that is very difficult to do with kids who are good enough to have other options.  If you try to give a grayshirt a scholarship at midterm then you have to have a slot still open for that year (enrolled less than 25 that fall).  The earliest that pulling scholarships could free up more slots for incoming recruits would be the class of 2009, so there would be no reason to do that until after the 2008 season.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

tophawg19

how the hell do you know who is still out there . you assume that there aren't but unless you have contacted every one you don't know. it may be that this staff has a few contacts that you don't.

The_Bionic_Pig

I think this idea came about because you can actually do this in Basketball recruitiing.   Forced Transfers but with the coach coming out smelling like the rose because the kid will claim that their not getting PT.  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Oklahawg

The concept of JUCO and early graduating HS players signing and enrolling this semester isn't likely to happen given that the staff hasn't even been fully assembled. Its also a bit frantic -- unless you are clearly getting a top-flight talent.

I'm sure some players will leave. Fine. Nutt rarely had a full allotment of 85 scholarship players. Its why so many walk-ons earned scholies in the first place - open slots.

Its funny. I thought that the fanbase or power brokers would be the toughest to heal. It appears that the team will be the hardest to heal, and that some otherwise good young men are going to be casualties of a staff that didn't go quietly into that good night.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

saywhat?

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 01, 2008, 06:52:52 pm
The next 4 weeks of recruiting will tell us a lot. Recruits should see that we have lots of holes that need filled. Lots of promise that was unfilled.

Petrino can sell aggressively without dissing the team -- we are a player or two away.

I don't expect panic moves (ie, JUCO QB). I expect methodical progress towards building depth and acquiring frontline talent.

Nothing about the bowl game hurts UA unless they went head-to-head vs Mizzou for a player.

I will be interested to see who transfers, who keeps their scholarship, and what Petrino and Ellis Johnson will do about the lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball.  Nutt and Herring left this defense in a mess.

jim hog

VenturaHog

I am excited to see what happens. Hope we can land some solid 3 star guys and redshirt them. Anyone expecting this team to get more than 7 wins is delusional, true freshman are not going to change that.