Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Recruiting Game-How far do we have to travel to get 5 Star and 4 Star Players?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 26, 2007, 09:42:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

As we have all been discussing our views and hopes for recruiting with a new HC in place, I wondered just how many higher rated players are nearby. Now I know that the true measure of a recruit is most often not know for at least a couple of years after they are in the program, but the Stars besides their names often do indicate a certain quality of player. D-Mac was a five star player.....he seemed to work out pretty well for us. I'd say that rating was right on the nose, wouldn't you? :) On the other hand, look at Luigs, he was a two star and obviously that did not indicate his worth to us in the long run. But having addressed that, let's look at how many of the Rival's Top 250 Players are nearby.

Missouri                   1
Tennessee               2
Mississippi                6
Louisiana                 6
Texas                    31
Oklahoma                3
Kansas                   2
Arkansas                 3

There are 51 Five and Four Star kids in in the Rivals Top 250 in states nearby Arkansas, with 6 of the 51 being Five Star players. If we could tap into that pipeline and just get 10% of those kids each year, along with 3 or 4 out of Arkansas every year, that would give us 8-9 top rated kids in our recruiting class year in and year out and that doesn't include the occasional kid from other states far away that we might lure here. We can do this. I think the future looks really bright for us with BP at the helm. Your thoughts?
Go Hogs Go!

Dr Swineglove

Felix was a three star and he turned out to be the second best RB in the SEC; Chris Baker was a four star and never developed into a stud (lack of coaching had a lot to do with that).  CBP's best players at Louisville were usually two and three star recruits.  Then again, odds heavily favor the blue chip recuit developing into a star, and we've got to sign a ton of them to be competitive in the SEC.

I'd look for Arkansas to recruit Texas heavily next season, looking for the next Lawrence Richardson (four star recruit).  Hopefully some of the new coaches we'll be naming on 01/03 will have some hot leads on a few great recruits as well. 
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

want2be

Petrino has stated and understands the need to recruit Texas.

He will keep the gate closed on the fence, but in the meantime, we have Tezas, A&M, and Tech on upcoming schedules

The hill of Ark under Petrino will be a mecca for allot of these guys.

Sao Ming

All Petrino needs to do is look at what Stoops is doing in Texas and learn from it.

OU has all 3 5* kids from TX and a multitude of 4*'s heading to Norman. 

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1843&Year=2008

We are going to have to get in there and compete with UT, OU and TAMU.  A good showing in the next 2-3 seasons and using the UT and TAMU series as in-roads will all help accomplish that.  I have all the faith in the world that BP and his position coaches will get in some houses and make things happen.  We should also keep our in-state kids home which is critical.  JMO.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Sao Ming on December 26, 2007, 10:02:15 pm
All Petrino needs to do is look at what Stoops is doing in Texas and learn from it.

We are going to have to get in there and compete with UT, OU and TAMU.  A good showing in the next 2-3 seasons and using the UT and TAMU series as in-roads will all help accomplish that.  I have all the faith in the world that BP and his position coaches will get in some houses and make things happen.  We should also keep our in-state kids home which is critical.  JMO.

That's hitting it right on the proverbial nose, Sao!
Go Hogs Go!

silvertip

Good research again, Muskogee. Months ago I looked at Hogs recruiting classes on Rivals, back through '02 which is far as their records go.

On average, The Dork would have four 4-star recruits in each class. Three of those from Arkansas and one each year from other states---mostly Texass.  The Dork only got two 5-stars since '02---McFadden & Mustain.

And yet, those recruiting classes were consistently 25th-30th nationally, and 6th to 8th in the SEC.

SOOO, all Petrino's staff will have to do is get one or two more 4-stars from other states each year, plus repair the fence---and the Hogs can easily get top 20 classes & move into the top half of the SEC.

When I checked BP's first couple of classes at Louisville, I saw a lot of players from FLA & CAL. His geographic recruiting looked more like what Tenn does.  Don't know how many might have been JC transfers.  I seem to recall BP has spent time in Texass, as well.

I will be very surprised if BP's crew doesn't immediately start beating what The Dork did.  WPS!!

Sao Ming

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 26, 2007, 10:07:29 pm
That's hitting it right on the proverbial nose, Sao!

I think Stoops just sees his home state for what it is, you know?  He has to get out there and sell sell sell and his bread and butter is Texas for the majority.

OK  as a state has 4 4*'s, total.  Stoops has landed 1 kid on the OK Top 25 list (Rivals).  A KICKER!

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1885&Year=2008

That's just not going to build what he envisions.  Sure, some of the lesser touted kids could be coached up but let's face it, talent is talent.  Stars can be arbitrary but it's no coincidence that Top 10 classes build National Champs.

Arkansas Top 15 reads much like OK's.  4 4*'s and a plethora of 3's.  A good building block and some kids we must have BUT they need to be supplemented...

Stoops style.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: silvertip on December 26, 2007, 10:14:10 pm
Good research again, Muskogee. Months ago I looked at Hogs recruiting classes on Rivals, back through '02 which is far as their records go.

On average, The Dork would have four 4-star recruits in each class. Three of those from Arkansas and one each year from other states---mostly Texass.  The Dork only got two 5-stars since '02---McFadden & Mustain.

And yet, those recruiting classes were consistently 25th-30th nationally, and 6th to 8th in the SEC.

SOOO, all Petrino's staff will have to do is get one or two more 4-stars from other states each year, plus repair the fence---and the Hogs can easily get top 20 classes & move into the top half of the SEC.

When I checked BP's first couple of classes at Louisville, I saw a lot of players from FLA & CAL. His geographic recruiting looked more like what Tenn does.  Don't know how many might have been JC transfers.  I seem to recall BP has spent time in Texass, as well.

I will be very surprised if BP's crew doesn't immediately start beating what The Dork did.  WPS!!

Good points - at Louisville, CBP didn't have much of a recruiting base to work with.  Kentucky produces fewer D1 recruits than Arkansas, and the state is split with UK; additionally, several out-of-state schools  traditionally recruit Kentucky well (OSU, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Purdue, etc).  At Louisville, CBP locked down the best in-state talent, then looked heavily out of state to fill needs.  IMO, he'll do much the same here, but with a greater recruiting base.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

riccoar

As pointed out on SportsRap, we need to get back into north Louisiana again too.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: silvertip on December 26, 2007, 10:14:10 pm

Funny you should mention that.....about the Florida-California connection for Petrino. It makes sense. We saw earlier that Texas had 31 four and five star athletes. I just counted the four and five star athletes from Florida and California and guess what? They have 35 each. Now Texas is obviously closer and odds are better of raiding those kids out of the Big 12's backyard, but I see no reason why BP can't sneak into Florida and California and grab 1 or 2 out of their yards as well. We have to think "nationally" if we are going to be one of the "big dogs". Granted, as Sao said earlier, we need to keep the very best from Arkansas. But that is where we want to be, where we can pick and choose who we want. We don't need ALL the Arkansas kids, just the best ones.
Go Hogs Go!

SquidBilly

We also need to get really active in Georgia as well.  Georgia has 18 4 or 5 star recruits.  There is some big time high school football being played down here.  The Buford Wolves play in one of the state's lower classifications but they have a program that I'd be willing to bet could beat a lot of the champions from the higher classifications.  If Petrino can bring a couple of guys on board with recruiting ties to Georgia it would help us tremendously.

jpenrod1

I think if we are talking future we need to be talking about someone other than BP. He will bery good for us but dont expect more than 4 years from him. Our games in Dallas against A&M will be huge for us. I think with the location we have a chance at a lot of good players. We have the opportunity to get very good talent, but coaching that is what is most important. BP will give us both while he is here.

VenturaHog

Quote from: jpenrod1 on December 27, 2007, 12:25:47 am
I think if we are talking future we need to be talking about someone other than BP. He will bery good for us but dont expect more than 4 years from him. Our games in Dallas against A&M will be huge for us. I think with the location we have a chance at a lot of good players. We have the opportunity to get very good talent, but coaching that is what is most important. BP will give us both while he is here.

I see someone has been watching a lot of espn lately.

Think of it this way: Petrino can't leave here now to move up unless he wins here consistantly. If he wins here consistantly he will be in the top 3-5 college coaches in terms of pay. If he wins consistantly and gets paid out the nose, why is going to leave? The NFL is no longer an option BTW, the owners fraternity loves Blank and now hates Petrino.

The_Bionic_Pig

Some of you just unknowingly answered a lot of people's questions as to why the coaching staff has yet to be completed.... He is trying to get a coach (NFL, College, connections) from the state of Texas for that very reason.  While most Arkansas fans will be in Dallas enjoying the cotton bowl coach Petrino has other objectives in the Long Star State, other than taking in a college football game.  Recruiting (Players & interviewing candidates)  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on December 27, 2007, 01:53:34 am
Some of you just unknowingly answered a lot of people's questions as to why the coaching staff has yet to be completed.... He is trying to get a coach (NFL, College, connections) from the state of Texas for that very reason.  While most Arkansas fans will be in Dallas enjoying the cotton bowl coach Petrino has other objectives in the Long Star State, other than taking in a college football game.  Recruiting (Players & interviewing candidates)  ;)

dick bumpas?
mike tolleson?
bobby kennedy?

just some names i thought i would throw out---nothing more
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: VenturaHog on December 27, 2007, 12:57:10 am

Think of it this way: Petrino can't leave here now to move up unless he wins here consistantly. If he wins here consistantly he will be in the top 3-5 college coaches in terms of pay. If he wins consistantly and gets paid out the nose, why is going to leave? The NFL is no longer an option BTW, the owners fraternity loves Blank and now hates Petrino.

BP may be here 10 years or he may be here 5, or he may be here for 15. No one knows at this point. The one thing that is true is that at this point in time, he needs us as badly as we need him. If he left here before achieving tremendous success(like in the next 2 years or less) he would be committing the equivalent of professional suicide. Maybe he and his family falls in love with the area, the school, the fans and the financial remnumeration(very similar to Bob Stoops at OU) and decides to stay for a long, long time. On the other hand, maybe he doesn't. It's kinda like having a physical relationship with the best looking girl in town. You may not know how long it will last, so just enjoy the moment, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. :) In terms of recruiting, however long he is here, I believe he will leave us better off than we were before he came.
Go Hogs Go!

mj4president

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 26, 2007, 09:42:09 pm
As we have all been discussing our views and hopes for recruiting with a new HC in place, I wondered just how many higher rated players are nearby. Now I know that the true measure of a recruit is most often not know for at least a couple of years after they are in the program, but the Stars besides their names often do indicate a certain quality of player. D-Mac was a five star player.....he seemed to work out pretty well for us. I'd say that rating was right on the nose, wouldn't you? :) On the other hand, look at Luigs, he was a two star and obviously that did not indicate his worth to us in the long run. But having addressed that, let's look at how many of the Rival's Top 250 Players are nearby.

Missouri                   1
Tennessee               2
Louisiana                 6
Kansas                   2
Arkansas                 3

There are 51 Five and Four Star kids in in the Rivals Top 250 in states nearby Arkansas, with 6 of the 51 being Five Star players. If we could tap into that pipeline and just get 10% of those kids each year, along with 3 or 4 out of Arkansas every year, that would give us 8-9 top rated kids in our recruiting class year in and year out and that doesn't include the occasional kid from other states far away that we might lure here. We can do this. I think the future looks really bright for us with BP at the helm. Your thoughts?

My thoughts is that Texas has a ton get split up in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana. Louisiana most of time go to LSU. Tennesse if they have them go to Tennessee. The ones in Kansas and Missouri get out of state(this might change if they continue to win). No matter how much you hate it and I DO TO. We are "Arkansas" to them. We have a bad outlook as a state that has darn for brains. When big time players are offered say Texas, LSU, Florida, Georgia, and then Arkansas. If they chose us then they would be laughed at to no end (if they were out of staters)

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

VenturaHog

WholeHogSmoker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 26, 2007, 09:42:09 pm

Missouri                   1
Tennessee               2
Louisiana                 6
Kansas                   2
Arkansas                 3

There are also 15 BCS schools with big fan bases and budgets in those states.  I'm not saying 10 percent can't happen, but it seems unrealistic. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WholeHogSmoker on December 27, 2007, 08:11:18 am
There are also 15 BCS schools with big fan bases and budgets in those states.  I'm not saying 10 percent can't happen, but it seems unrealistic. 

So let me get this straight........you think it is unrealistic of us to think that we can sign three kids out of Texas each year and 2 total out of all the other states I mentioned? I see it as difficult, but certainly not unrealistic.
Go Hogs Go!

jackflash

I think we can have a good program recruiting these states GA,AL,LA,OK,AR,TX,FL, as main source of talent.  Would like us to add California for a player or two.  What do you guys think?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jackflash on December 27, 2007, 10:11:43 am
I think we can have a good program recruiting these states GA,AL,LA,OK,AR,TX,FL, as main source of talent.  Would like us to add California for a player or two.  What do you guys think?

As I said above, there are 51 four to five star kids in the states surrounding Arkansas. We should be able to round up 10% of those, get 1 each out of Georgia, Florida and California and then keeping 3-4 top players a year out of Arkansas, that would give us 11-12 four and five star players that we sign each year.
Go Hogs Go!

jpenrod1

Quote from: VenturaHog on December 27, 2007, 12:57:10 am

No ESPN will tell us 1 maybe 2. 4 years is not that uncommon these days. Very few teams can sign a coach and expect them to be at there school longer than 5 years. I think he will do well here but come our first SEC Championship, BCS game, or a lsu, michigan, texas, florida, etc... comes calling we should expect him to leave. Im very confident he will be here 2 years since we wont have a very good season. (7 wins at most) After that who knows. I dont think he did anything different than a lot of coaches would, doesnt make it right, but i dont think he is a snake or anything like that.

Hogaliciousness

Tier 1:  AR - every good player - recruit hard! (make it extremely hard for anyone to get to their doorstep).

Tier 2:  TX, CA, FL - general recruiting blanket for 4-5 star players - take the fight to the enemy (get 2-4 players per market interested)  Sell them on high powered offense, great facilities, focused fan base, SEC visibility, and great coaching.

Tier 3:  The rest of the US go after particular top athletes and ones that fit a particular need area (2-3 per state targeted, get 1% or more interested, big deal!)  Same sell, but the big deal is getting them to campus at least once - how many have said they expected pastures/cows and found a great college town/campus?  Granted you don't want to waste a bunch of recruiting time here, but a small portion of time until some interest is returned.

It's the 80/20 rule.  80% of the effort in the first two categories, 20% on the broader net.  I believe that if we can get a couple "steals" that our program is enhanced tremendously - these will be the names we will consistently see/hear on Saturdays!  Reward early, hard commitments by recruits!
I am ready for some football!

jpenrod1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 27, 2007, 11:12:49 am
As I said above, there are 51 four to five star kids in the states surrounding Arkansas. We should be able to round up 10% of those, get 1 each out of Georgia, Florida and California and then keeping 3-4 top players a year out of Arkansas, that would give us 11-12 four and five star players that we sign each year.

so what % or those do texas, texas A&M, oklahoma, florida, georgia, lsu, alabama, tennesse, Texas tech, Kentucky, the mississippis, auburn, and all other SEC schools?

I know we are better than about half of the SEC schools and most of the big 12, but if those people are from there, or there parents went there, or whatever they will be hard to get. I dont think you can expect 11-12 top players. there are 20+ schools around here all going after the same 50-70 players.

I think we can do well but I dont know about us being in the top 15 classes every year for a while. not untill we are a top program as far as winning goes. There is no way to get there except with good coaching and time.

What you think?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jpenrod1 on December 27, 2007, 11:29:32 am
so what % or those do texas, texas A&M, oklahoma, florida, georgia, lsu, alabama, tennesse, Texas tech, Kentucky, the mississippis, auburn, and all other SEC schools?

I know we are better than about half of the SEC schools and most of the big 12, but if those people are from there, or there parents went there, or whatever they will be hard to get. I dont think you can expect 11-12 top players. there are 20+ schools around here all going after the same 50-70 players.

I think we can do well but I dont know about us being in the top 15 classes every year for a while. not untill we are a top program as far as winning goes. There is no way to get there except with good coaching and time.

What you think?

At this point and from wher we are coming, it doesn't matter what percentage the rest of them normally get. Granted, they are going to get some players and Texas and OU are always going to get their share of the Texas players, just as USC is going to get first selection of the California players, Florida of the Florida players, etc, etc. But, we can't let that dissuade us and just let that thought process relegate us to second tier recruiting. We have to go after the kids and of course, we have to have something to offer them. This year, at this late stage, it can only be BP's rep for a wide open offense. Next season will be very important for us and I don't think we can afford to do less well next year, than we did this year in terms of victories. That turn around, in terms of victories, can help make or break our recruiting for next year. Once we start winning games and recruits see that things have truly changed at Arkansas and that there is something exciting going on here, they will come and we won't have such a hard time rounding up 4 and 5 star athletes. It's coming.
Go Hogs Go!

Tammany Tom

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 27, 2007, 11:12:49 am

I know you only used the Rivals Top 250, but there are a lot more than 51 4 star and 5 star players in the states surrounding Arkansas. Louisiana, has 10 4 star players this year not just the 6 you listed.

You have good optimism concerning your recruiting possibilities. That's a good thing. Signing 11-12 four-five star players each year should be the goal of Arkansas. If your program wants to be able to consistently year in and year out compete for titles it will have to be.

LSU has 10 4 star players committed right now for the 2008 class and should end up with 14 to 15 by signing day. We had 21 4 & 5 star players in last years class and 14 in 2006's class. Alabama currently has 17 4 & 5 star players committed and will end up with more by signing day. Bama had 10 in last years class and 11 in 2006. This is your primary competition for the years to come.

Arkansas should be recruiting Louisiana much better than what it has done. Arkansas has had virtually no presence in Louisiana in terms of recruiting for the past 10 years. Arkansas has only been able to get 1 good player every 5 years or so. That is unacceptable for a border state. OU does a much better job of recruiting Louisiana than Arkansas. OU's starting RB and Safety this year are both from Alexandria. LSU is always going to get the majority of the kids they offer, but there are a lot of good players that go out of state every single year. Ole Miss, State, Auburn, Bama, Tenn, Florida State, and Miami all have several Louisiana players in their starting line-ups. No reason, whatsoever, for Arkansas not to be right there alongside Ole Miss in terms of recruiting Louisiana.

Tomhog™

Louisiana is a treasure trove, for sure.  Nutt's staff never could get enough presence there to make a difference.  I would think Arkansas could get 2 blue-chips per year out of north Louisiana if effort was focused there.

Dr. J.

One more recruiting tool we have now that we didn't a few years ago.  Quite a few players playing  in the NFL.  Jason Peters and George Wilson at Buffalo.  Matt Jones at Jacksonville.  Jamal Anderson and Chris Houston at Atlanta.  Shawn Andrews at Philadelphia.  And next year, probably DMac, Peyton, Monk Marcus Harrison and probably Felix.  This is a good selling tool showing that you can get to the NFL from Arkansas and with Bobby Petrino, we'll probably have even more players going.

We've gone to many bowls and have as great a facility as anywhere in the country.  Lot of good things to sell.  Plus a quality education for those who want it.

tbhogfan

Arkansas is very smart start playing series against Texas, TCU, and aTm (hopefully yearly in the JerryDome).   Texas has great athletes and it is close.  Petrino is smart enough to know that Texas is a recruiting goldmine.   

If Petrino and staff can get in and mix it up, they potentially steal recruits that would head for OU.  Once skill kids see the Petrino style, and know that they can regularly play on a national stage, we will have a great shot at some talented kids. 
Go Hogs!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tammany Tom on December 27, 2007, 12:12:18 pm
I know you only used the Rivals Top 250, but there are a lot more than 51 4 star and 5 star players in the states surrounding Arkansas. Louisiana, has 10 4 star players this year not just the 6 you listed.

You have good optimism concerning your recruiting possibilities. That's a good thing. Signing 11-12 four-five star players each year should be the goal of Arkansas. If your program wants to be able to consistently year in and year out compete for titles it will have to be.

LSU has 10 4 star players committed right now for the 2008 class and should end up with 14 to 15 by signing day. We had 21 4 & 5 star players in last years class and 14 in 2006's class. Alabama currently has 17 4 & 5 star players committed and will end up with more by signing day. Bama had 10 in last years class and 11 in 2006. This is your primary competition for the years to come.

Arkansas should be recruiting Louisiana much better than what it has done. Arkansas has had virtually no presence in Louisiana in terms of recruiting for the past 10 years. Arkansas has only been able to get 1 good player every 5 years or so. That is unacceptable for a border state. OU does a much better job of recruiting Louisiana than Arkansas. OU's starting RB and Safety this year are both from Alexandria. LSU is always going to get the majority of the kids they offer, but there are a lot of good players that go out of state every single year. Ole Miss, State, Auburn, Bama, Tenn, Florida State, and Miami all have several Louisiana players in their starting line-ups. No reason, whatsoever, for Arkansas not to be right there alongside Ole Miss in terms of recruiting Louisiana.

I know there are more Tom and your point is well taken. Heck, there are more 4 stars in Arkansas than are listed on the Rivals Top 250. But you have to use something as a common measuring stick and this was what I chose. We can do better all the wat around and I think we will. One thing is for certain, if we want to get off the porch and romp with the big dogs, we have to.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 27, 2007, 12:20:26 pm
Louisiana is a treasure trove, for sure.  Nutt's staff never could get enough presence there to make a difference.  I would think Arkansas could get 2 blue-chips per year out of north Louisiana if effort was focused there.

I agree, and I hope we can expect that to change.
Go Hogs Go!

ashleyswine

we should always be looking at

West Monroe and the other schools around Ouachita Parish  this is a hotbed of talent that LSU mines every year

saywhat?

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on December 27, 2007, 01:53:34 am

I hope he goes after the highschool coach from Lufkin.  He would be a nice asset.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: saywhat? on December 30, 2007, 01:33:54 am
I hope he goes after the highschool coach from Lufkin.  He would be a nice asset.

I would be more concerned about getting the right players in here. He isn't going to have any problem getting good assistant's in here.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

true we need to be in lsu land hard , also mississippi produces a lot of talent . most of which leaves the state . the main thing for us is to find those 3 star players who should have been 4 &5 star players . often it's because they played on bad teams or smaller classifications . this is where recruiting wars are won and lost . the teams that can evaluate talent and steal these guys are the ones who play for NC'S. the felix jones, brandon burlsworth, anthony lucas types are the ones you win big time with.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jabohog

I ran the numbers one time, and the top programs on average were heavy, percentage wise, in the 3 and 4 * recruits. Something like 70 to 75%.

As Tammany said LSU and Bama are getting good rated players and will be the teams to beat down the road. The thing not often talked about is the fact that these two teams will have them on both sides of the ball. Here at Arkansas we seem to have difficulty getting them on defense. Even with the pee wee offense we've ran for the last ten years, we seem to be able to get the skill players for the offensive side, a lot of those from instate. Do we even have a 4* on the defensive side? DL are hard to come by everywhere, but we can't seem to buy one unless it is a Jamaal Anderson that eventually evolves into a top player.

Defensive recruiting is the one thing I worry about with Petrino, I guess time will tell.

want2be

The past staff do fairly well at coaching up players that were under the radar and Petrino had a similar reputation at Louisville.

I will always admire players like Bua and Olajubutu and have a heart bigger than their body and we will always need to find those type of players.

But to take it to the next level, we have to build the fence (which Petrino has jumpstarted) and get on out of state players quickly and aggressively.
Look for Petrino work Texas real hard. In 4 yrs at Louisville he got 25 players from Florida. And we better hit the adjacent states that we have for the most part neglected.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: jabohog on December 30, 2007, 10:30:37 am
As Tammany said LSU and Bama are getting good rated players and will be the teams to beat down the road. The thing not often talked about is the fact that these two teams will have them on both sides of the ball. Here at Arkansas we seem to have difficulty getting them on defense. Even with the pee wee offense we've ran for the last ten years, we seem to be able to get the skill players for the offensive side, a lot of those from instate. Do we even have a 4* on the defensive side? DL are hard to come by everywhere, but we can't seem to buy one unless it is a Jamaal Anderson that eventually evolves into a top player.

Defensive recruiting is the one thing I worry about with Petrino, I guess time will tell.

You are right about successful recruiting. What sets the SEC apart from other leagues is the great talent on the defensive side of the ball. A lot of programs successfully recruit great skill position players on offense, but can't obtain the great talent on defense.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a very good chance that LSU will get the number 1 rated Cornerback in the nation. There is also a chance, albeit a small one, that LSU will get the number 3 rated CB too. If this happens then LSU should be absolutely loaded in the secondary for the next 3 - 4 years. Combine these 2 great CB's with 5 star Safety, freshman Chad Jones, and red-shirted 4 star safety Stephon Francois and LSU should be in great shape to compete well with Petrino Air ball over the next 4 years.

http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=51529

PJ supposedly gave Les Miles his silent commitment earlier and he is scheduled to publically announce soon.

http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=52730

TJ is probably going to Florida State, but I can still hope.

jim hog

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: want2be on December 30, 2007, 12:38:06 pm
The past staff do fairly well at coaching up players that were under the radar and Petrino had a similar reputation at Louisville.

I will always admire players like Bua and Olajubutu and have a heart bigger than their body and we will always need to find those type of players.

But to take it to the next level, we have to build the fence (which Petrino has jumpstarted) and get on out of state players quickly and aggressively.
Look for Petrino work Texas real hard. In 4 yrs at Louisville he got 25 players from Florida. And we better hit the adjacent states that we have for the most part neglected.

Here is where we might disgaree. I also admire guys that are undersized but work hard to play bigger than they are. However, those aren't guys that we "need", those are great guys to have that we come across by accident. They are a bigger risk initially. With scholarship limits being what they are, you can't afford to waste a single one nor "roll the dice" with one. You have to go with the players that you honestly believe give your program the best shot to be successful. However, I am a firm believer in a solid "walk on" program and giving those guys a legitimate shot to make the team. You might find a diamind in the rough by doing so and it has happened many times before.
Go Hogs Go!

LJHOG

Quote from: Sao Ming on December 26, 2007, 10:02:15 pm

That's because they have a ton of ex-Oklahoma players coaching in Texas.  Our moving to the SEC all but shut the door on recruiting Texas.  I have strong reservations that a coach can reopen it to the extent it was once.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LJHOG on January 01, 2008, 08:08:32 pm
That's because they have a ton of ex-Oklahoma players coaching in Texas.  Our moving to the SEC all but shut the door on recruiting Texas.  I have strong reservations that a coach can reopen it to the extent it was once.

Petrino can reopen the door and he will. He said it today....it is a priority for him.
Go Hogs Go!