Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thon Maker

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, April 03, 2016, 08:08:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADavisTheGOAT

19 year old Thon Maker just declared for the NBA draft. Someone explain to me how he's able to be eligible without going to college for a year.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

HOGINTENNESSEE

Graduated HS in June 2015 according to his camp

Big Boi

If you're 19 by draft day eligible to enter. That's my understanding

trashcan maN

Must be 19 and one year removed from HS.

maxhog5

He is trying to declare.  NBA may not accept his argument that he is from the 2015 class and therefore a year removed from high school.  NBA rules do not say you have to go to college for a year, only that you have to be at least 19 and a year out of high school.

ChicoHog

So many of these kids now just don't want to go to school. They will play in Europe, Israel, Egypt, it doesn't matter to them as long as they are getting paid and don't have to go to school.  They should just abolish the mandatory one year removed rule and say if you go to college then you must stay 2 years.  Or go straight out of HS and watch how many kids declare and never see a minute of NBA action. 

Danny J

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 03, 2016, 09:20:09 pm
So many of these kids now just don't want to go to school. They will play in Europe, Israel, Egypt, it doesn't matter to them as long as they are getting paid and don't have to go to school.  They should just abolish the mandatory one year removed rule and say if you go to college then you must stay 2 years.  Or go straight out of HS and watch how many kids declare and never see a minute of NBA action.
Yes but they will still skip college. Now that the d league and euro ball is around they have legit options. If you make a 2 year rule then that will really hit college ball hard IF it is as you say declare out of HS or you must spend 2 years in college.

I don't think college ball will ever be the same unless you start paying the players something.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Danny J on April 03, 2016, 09:28:26 pm
Yes but they will still skip college. Now that the d league and euro ball is around they have legit options. If you make a 2 year rule then that will really hit college ball hard IF it is as you say declare out of HS or you must spend 2 years in college.

I don't think college ball will ever be the same unless you start paying the players something.

It wouldn't have the star power but the game would be better.

CallMeAl

Quote from: GlassofSwine on April 03, 2016, 09:39:21 pm
It wouldn't have the star power but the game would be better.
I agree. The players would actually want to be in college and play basketball. The senior laden teams are a lot more fun to watch.
Hog since birth.

The_Iceman

How many one and done players were in the final 4?

onebadrubi

People keep saying they will or can just go to Europe for a year. There has only been one that I knownof do that and it was AFTER he was turned down by the ncaa, mudaiy or whatever from SMU. These 17 and 18 year olds don't want to leave this country to play basketball.

ChicoHog

Brandon Jennings did it in Italy for a year.  but he was pretty good and made the NBA.  Most of them are not good enough. 

The_Iceman

I want a rule where you either go out of high school, or stay 2 years. I would say three years, but with basketball I think 2 is more appropriate.

jgphillips3

Forget making a rule about them staying.  Just say a scholarship is a mandatory two year commitment and if the player leaves early you lose his scholarship that second year.  That would curtail a lot of the Kentucky one and done nonsense and put pressure on coaches to recruit one and done guys with very judicious thought.  This avoids the legal issues too.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Big Boi on April 03, 2016, 08:33:07 pm
If you're 19 by draft day eligible to enter. That's my understanding

Incorrect. Must be 19 years old and high school class a removed from graduating.

Under your assumption, kids could go pro directly out of high school.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 04, 2016, 08:13:27 am
People keep saying they will or can just go to Europe for a year. There has only been one that I knownof do that and it was AFTER he was turned down by the ncaa, mudaiy or whatever from SMU. These 17 and 18 year olds don't want to leave this country to play basketball.

Jeremy Tyler
Brandon Jennings
Emmanuel Mudiay

Mudiay was never turned down by the NCAA, though there were some amateurism issues rumored. Never got to that point because he went pro.

Hogimus Prime

Let them go pro out of high school if they want. The one and done rule was put in place to save the NBA GM's from themselves. Maybe these NBA teams need to hire better GMs that have some sense.

Pork Twain

One and done rule is dumb.  Let the kids and their families decide and live with the outcome.  This rule is ALL about greedy ownership.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 04, 2016, 09:09:44 am
One and done rule is dumb.  Let the kids and their families decide and live with the outcome.  This rule is ALL about greedy ownership.

Actually this rule was pushed by the nbapa, the veterans got tired of losing roster spots to 17/18 yr old hs kids.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on April 04, 2016, 09:13:01 am
Actually this rule was pushed by the nbapa, the veterans got tired of losing roster spots to 17/18 yr old hs kids.

It really benefits both parties, so it'll probably never change.

To be honest I know there is a lot of talk about how NCAA basketball is negatively affected because of the rule and I don't disagree. At the same time I don't think people on this board would be as down on basketball as a whole if they didn't have a reason to be down about our basketball situation in particular.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on April 04, 2016, 09:13:01 am

And, the NBA teams wanted to evaluate these players in college rather than in high schools across the country. Lowers bust potential.

HogInThaGrove

Basketball should be just like baseball.  Go directly out of high school (tiny percentage) or stay at least 2 years to be eligible.  NBA should have a minimum 2 year removed from HS rule to play.  Kids may think they want to go overseas for 1 year (I can do anything for a year), but 2 years is a lot away from home in a foreign country at 18-19 years old.  I think the college game would benefit greatly and so would the NBA game.  But the owners want the youngest kids to get the most out of them before their contract runs out.  It's greed on both sides.  Nobody really cares what's best for the kids. 

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 04, 2016, 06:13:22 am
How many one and done players were in the final 4?

I think Malachai Richardson will enter the draft. But he was not a one and done recruit before this tournament.

k.c.hawg

He's got a pretty good argument if he did graduate in 2015. At one time he was going to reclassify to the 2015 class but then stayed at prep school another year (allegedly to play with his brother). He had hopped around in school so maybe his transcript wouldn't have gotten him in school last year but if he was considered to have graduated, the year of prep school should be looked at no differently than a year in college or a year in Europe.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on April 04, 2016, 10:00:58 am
I think Malachai Richardson will enter the draft. But he was not a one and done recruit before this tournament.

http://247sports.com/Player/Malachi-Richardson-24499?PlayerInstitution=58903

He was a solid 4-star coming out last year, but definitely not a one-and-done type. He really isn't now, but NBAdraft.net has him at #17, so might as well go.

hogsanity

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on April 04, 2016, 09:27:49 am
It really benefits both parties, so it'll probably never change.

To be honest I know there is a lot of talk about how NCAA basketball is negatively affected because of the rule and I don't disagree. At the same time I don't think people on this board would be as down on basketball as a whole if they didn't have a reason to be down about our basketball situation in particular.

IT just made the game different. Think of all the great players in the late 80's to mid 90's that would never have seen their soph or jr years or the ncaa at all if they could have come out directly from HS or after 1 year in college.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 04, 2016, 09:06:06 am
Let them go pro out of high school if they want. The one and done rule was put in place to save the NBA GM's from themselves. Maybe these NBA teams need to hire better GMs that have some sense.

While I agree completely with what you are saying, they are drafting now more than ever on potential instead of the talent at that moment.  I still think some draft off of hype instead of assessments by professionals. 

MountieDawg

For those that think the Senior laden teams or more fun to watch... Watch women's basketball for the less above the rim game and less athletic game.   There are not a ton of one and done players in this years Final Four, but many of those on N Carolina thought they would be One and Done.  Thank goodness for the rule, how many of those kids would have declared out of HS and not made it and been waiting for Bernie Sanders to be president so they could get paid.

For those that want to require the players to sign scholarships that force them to stay 2 or 3 years, what about the coaches that leave these kids and move somewhere to get paid more money.   You have to go with the NCAA rules and use them how you can.... I would like to see them stay 4 years but that is just for my pleasure, not thinking about the players... For the player that tears his knee up and loses out on $45 million in his 2nd year of college because he couldn't go pro.  Yeah the $1 million insurance is good, but it ain't $45 million and shoe contracts...
SEC!

Captain Morgan

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 04, 2016, 10:52:35 am
For those that think the Senior laden teams or more fun to watch... Watch women's basketball for the less above the rim game and less athletic game.   There are not a ton of one and done players in this years Final Four, but many of those on N Carolina thought they would be One and Done.  Thank goodness for the rule, how many of those kids would have declared out of HS and not made it and been waiting for Bernie Sanders to be president so they could get paid.

For those that want to require the players to sign scholarships that force them to stay 2 or 3 years, what about the coaches that leave these kids and move somewhere to get paid more money.   You have to go with the NCAA rules and use them how you can.... I would like to see them stay 4 years but that is just for my pleasure, not thinking about the players... For the player that tears his knee up and loses out on $45 million in his 2nd year of college because he couldn't go pro.  Yeah the $1 million insurance is good, but it ain't $45 million and shoe contracts...
I agree with everything you say here but if your around Jump Ball long enough you know it's group think. Too many old timers think these kids need to "know their place". If you go play for Kentucky your automatically a villain to these people. If you leave early then your disrespecting college sports.

I listened to Bo Mattingly the day after Portis left and the anger coming from our own Razorback fans was embarassing. But our fan base as a whole is too stuck in their old ways to accept that someone is getting millions before age 22.

Portis and Qualls leave and it's cry, cry, cry, excuse, excuse, excuse. But if Hunter Henry or Denver Kirkland or Alex Collins leave the fans wish them well. But for some reason to Anderson fan boys players leaving our basketball program early is disrespectful.  :puke: :puke: :puke:

We were lucky Anderson landed Portis (Only blue chip recruit in his tenure). But guys like him will consider other schools when our fan base cries when they leave. Other schools are open to guys leaving early because their coaches are very good recruiters and replace them with young players but if you leave Anderson it's disrespecting the nostalgia. I, for one see what's going on and the next 1 or 2 year college guy comes into Arkansas will get bashed in message boards and radio shows because making millions is more important than playing in front of empty crowds and living in the dorm

wachhog

Cure

Late first rounder/2nd round, big time project.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

azhog10

The NBA benefits from the NCAA. It's training and money they don't have to spend. Instead these colleges do some of the leg work for them basically for free in terms of the NBA not spending a dime. People want to harp on the NCAA and all the money hey make, and they do make a lot. However the professional leagues benefit just as much.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cure on April 04, 2016, 12:07:56 pm
Late first rounder/2nd round, big time project.

If he gets eligible for the draft, I don't see how he doesn't go in the first round for the simple fact that there are about 4-5 teams with 3 or more first-round picks. It's a weak draft, too, so the demand for a first-round pick will not be very high. This is why the draft analysts are projecting a lot of international players to go in the later part of the first round.

But, yes, without any kind of context, Maker is a huge project and probably goes in the second round of a good draft. But this ain't a good draft, and it's clear his handlers see the gettin' is good right now. Going to college would likely only drop his stock.

onebadrubi

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 04, 2016, 10:52:35 am

Not exactly accurate.  North Carolina is "middling" the two sides.  They are signing great talent in a few four stars and a few five stars.  Brice Johnson was a 4 star and not a top 25 player out of high school.  They are led by Marcus paige according to most (while I don't agree with that), but he is a senior.  UNC does not have a contributing freshman. 

Look at what they are,

Paige- Senior
Johnson -Senior
Berry -  sophmore
Meeks - Junior
Pinson - Sophmore
Hicks - Junior
Jackson - Sohpmore
James - Senior

Most of these players were between the top 20 and 60 players in their class. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Captain Morgan on April 04, 2016, 11:07:19 am
I agree with everything you say here but if your around Jump Ball long enough you know it's group think. Too many old timers think these kids need to "know their place". If you go play for Kentucky your automatically a villain to these people. If you leave early then your disrespecting college sports.

I listened to Bo Mattingly the day after Portis left and the anger coming from our own Razorback fans was embarassing. But our fan base as a whole is too stuck in their old ways to accept that someone is getting millions before age 22.

Portis and Qualls leave and it's cry, cry, cry, excuse, excuse, excuse. But if Hunter Henry or Denver Kirkland or Alex Collins leave the fans wish them well. But for some reason to Anderson fan boys players leaving our basketball program early is disrespectful:puke: :puke: :puke:

We were lucky Anderson landed Portis (Only blue chip recruit in his tenure). But guys like him will consider other schools when our fan base cries when they leave. Other schools are open to guys leaving early because their coaches are very good recruiters and replace them with young players but if you leave Anderson it's disrespecting the nostalgia. I, for one see what's going on and the next 1 or 2 year college guy comes into Arkansas will get bashed in message boards and radio shows because making millions is more important than playing in front of empty crowds and living in the dorm

While I never disrespected any of the bolded, I don't think but a very small percentage actually did that.  I think we all as Razorback fans wanted both to stay but we all knew Portis was going for a lottery pick and any reasonable person knew it was best he go for his future and career. 

Now, you can't lump all 5 of those together, the football players you mention, Henry, Collins, and Kirkland.  I think you can compare Kirkland and Qualls but that is probably it.  Henry is about to get a pay day unlike many will ever, he is the best option at his position in a draft!  No Brainer!!!  Collins did something no other SEC running back has ever done rushing for 1000 yards in three season and stayed healthy the entire three years of the NFL D league.  Running back is  a position that is short lived, still not a bad decision for him to go. 

Qualls needed another year in college and I bet even he might agree now, but we are not sure why many are wanting to jump ship from Anderson at this point.  I think many think the same for Kirkland, but i do think Kirkland will get drafted and find a home in the NFL. 

You can't compare the 5 players you just tried to do, it just isn't a good comparison or fit.  Although it does fit an agenda that is often spewed around here where a poster feels he needs to bash the Hogville posters in general to lift themselves up.

k.c.hawg

I think the one and done would be equal for both parties if the player didn't like his draft position or drafting team he could come back to school and re-enter the draft the next year.As it is now you have 8 or 10 schools serving as the one year farm system for the NBA. Why does the NCAA take the stance that if a kid goes through the draft he loses his eligibility. They claim the don't like the one and done...just tell the NBA well we will allow a kid to comeback if he doesn't like his circumstances.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

BigSexyHog

Who cares.  Just let them do what they want
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

k.c.hawg

Quote from: BigSexyHog on April 04, 2016, 01:22:49 pm
Who cares.  Just let them do what they want

Would you be good with a one and done for the NFL as well?

Hawg Red

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 04, 2016, 01:25:07 pm

Apples to oranges. High school kids cannot walk into the NFL and hang physically. Even today, they can't. They can do that in basketball. High school kids can walk into the NBA and average 20 a game.

Fatty McGee

Yes.  If they can get drafted, let them.  Especially running backs. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hogsanity

The one thing people need to remember, the rules for the NBA and NFL are NBA and NFL rules, not something done by the NCAA or the colleges.The NBA could, in their next CBA round change it and make 16 year olds eligible if they want to or say you have to be 25 years old. Same for the NFL.

Pork Twain

As always, one should never compare football to basketball.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

MountieDawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 04, 2016, 12:43:57 pm
Not exactly accurate.  North Carolina is "middling" the two sides.  They are signing great talent in a few four stars and a few five stars.  Brice Johnson was a 4 star and not a top 25 player out of high school.  They are led by Marcus paige according to most (while I don't agree with that), but he is a senior.  UNC does not have a contributing freshman. 

Look at what they are,

Paige- Senior
Johnson -Senior
Berry -  sophmore
Meeks - Junior
Pinson - Sophmore
Hicks - Junior
Jackson - Sohpmore
James - Senior

Most of these players were between the top 20 and 60 players in their class. 

McDonalds All Americans at North Carolina (6): Joel Berry II, Theo Pinson, Kennedy Meeks, Isaiah Hicks, Justin Jackson, Marcus Paige

I thought most McDonalds All Americans thought they could be one and dones....   Not many thing they will graduate, I know that.
SEC!

hogsanity

IF the rules were that a player could be drafted after being out of HS for 1 year, yes I would. That is up to the NFL, since their rule is currently 3 years out of hs.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 04, 2016, 01:36:15 pm
Apples to oranges. High school kids cannot walk into the NFL and hang physically. Even today, they can't. They can do that in basketball. High school kids can walk into the NBA and average 20 a game.

I would bet Lebron could have played in the NFL at 19.
SEC!

Hawg Red

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 04, 2016, 02:05:37 pm
I would bet Lebron could have played in the NFL at 19.

There's nothing to support that. You watch too much Sports Science.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 04, 2016, 09:47:08 am
And, the NBA teams wanted to evaluate these players in college rather than in high schools across the country. Lowers bust potential.
Yes, $$$

The_Iceman

What's weird is as a junior, this kid was the tops of everyone's lists. Drew comparisons to Durant and Garnett. For the last year, its been all quiet. What happened with him?

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 04, 2016, 02:46:43 pm
What's weird is as a junior, this kid was the tops of everyone's lists. Drew comparisons to Durant and Garnett. For the last year, its been all quiet. What happened with him?

He was overhyped when first discovered. He's been playing prep ball against the top prep players in the country and has shown to be much more raw compared to his initial hype videos. Teams and coaches have been watching him all year. He isn't as far along as that initial hype would have you think.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 04, 2016, 02:07:59 pm
There's nothing to support that. You watch too much Sports Science.

Until someone sailed around the world there was nothing to support it wasn't flat...
SEC!