Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas gets beat,

Started by 1highhog, March 18, 2016, 11:50:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1highhog

The Longhorns go down and worse yet on a halfcourt buzzer beater to end the game.  Another big upset today on a two day stretch of upsets, but this one feels just a little sweeter.   ::hornsdown::

Breems

Beautiful ending. It's been a wonderful first round of March Madness.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

alohawg

I tuned in to the last 3 minutes and saw it live. Best moment so far and there have been several.  ::hornsdown::
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Sivad

Quote from: Breems on March 19, 2016, 12:27:26 am
It WAS nice.

1highhog

Agreed Breems.  Since we're not in the Tournament nothing like seeing a bunch of higher seeds get beat and some rather handily.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: 1highhog on March 19, 2016, 03:56:14 am
Agreed Breems.  Since we're not in the Tournament nothing like seeing a bunch of higher seeds get beat and some rather handily.
West Virginia looked like Arkansas vs SFA. Trapping 30 feet from the basket. Pressing way too much. Taking contested shots and their coach being stubborn and arrogant in his style. Brad Underwood broke that press down and dominated. Your seeing with West Virginia and Texas that the full court press base defense is a style of the past.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 19, 2016, 04:20:24 am
West Virginia looked like Arkansas vs SFA. Trapping 30 feet from the basket. Pressing way too much. Taking contested shots and their coach being stubborn and arrogant in his style. Brad Underwood broke that press down and dominated. Your seeing with West Virginia and Texas that the full court press base defense is a style of the past.

It's not a style of the past. You just have to be a smart enough coach to know when to pull back the press and try something else.

bigyellowdog

Always a good day when the whorns lose.

1highhog

hoglady

Oh yes it has been.
Lots of parity in college basketball and most likely some pretty poor seeding by the committee - has led to some early exits by some big dogs.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

gmarv

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: bigyellowdog on March 19, 2016, 05:54:24 am
Always a good day when the whorns lose.
Add in football and there have been many days of wine and roses.

lc480

Maybe the big 12 is not as bad as they thought they were.LOL

fineswine

I love watching these one-trick pony coaches (Huggins, Smart) that live and die with the "pressure defense" get smoked.  Anderson needs to wake up and see that the style has outlived its usefulness.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: fineswine on March 19, 2016, 09:27:14 am
I love watching these one-trick pony coaches (Huggins, Smart) that live and die with the "pressure defense" get smoked.  Anderson needs to wake up and see that the style has outlived its usefulness.

Louisville won a national championship a couple years ago.  ;)
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

RazorPiggie

Yeah I'd hate to be that one trick pony that makes it to the dance every year.

Hogimus Prime

Someone needs to tell Izzo his slow down, grind it out, tough in your face defense halfcourt game doesn't work.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 19, 2016, 10:01:20 am
Someone needs to tell Izzo his slow down, grind it out, tough in your face defense halfcourt game doesn't work.

So let's see.  Pressure defense doesn't work anymore.  And slow down halfcourt doesn't work anymore. 

Here's a clue - having the most talented players normally works. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 19, 2016, 10:41:39 am
So let's see.  Pressure defense doesn't work anymore.  And slow down halfcourt doesn't work anymore. 

I was being sarcastic.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 19, 2016, 10:43:48 am
I was being sarcastic.

Too early in the morning for my sarcasm meter to be working properly.  My bad.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 19, 2016, 10:45:05 am
Too early in the morning for my sarcasm meter to be working properly.  My bad.

It's cool. 

The OP needs to remember it's the NCAA tournament. System, talented players don't matter. You have a bad night shooting, come out flat, have a player out. One bad night, hell if a career night and you're done.

PonderinHog

opineonswine

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 19, 2016, 10:41:39 am

"If you ain't got no animals, you ain't hardly got no circus"....Yogi Berra.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: opineonswine on March 19, 2016, 11:14:21 am
"If you ain't got no animals, you ain't hardly got no circus"....Yogi Berra.

He's smarter than your average Berra.

pigmailyen

One would be hard pressed to find a p5 program thru the last 3 or 4 decades that's underperformed on the scale of Ticksass. Plus, the way they lost last nite brings joy to this curmudgeon.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: pigmailyen on March 19, 2016, 11:38:19 am
One would be hard pressed to find a p5 program thru the last 3 or 4 decades that's underperformed on the scale of Ticksass. Plus, the way they lost last nite brings joy to this curmudgeon.

latrops

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 19, 2016, 05:04:41 am
It's not a style of the past. You just have to be a smart enough coach to know when to pull back the press and try something else.

And I did appreciate that Anderson pulled the players back and played more zone this season than I had ever seen previously.  I hope he continues to show more flexability going forward.  I wish I could be more confident in his doing so, but it is going to take more than one year in which the personnel was so limited that it may have forced him into doing things he'd rather not.

Regardless, the pressing style, as done most notably by Texas, WVU, Arkansas, and Louisville, didn't end up with a great year.  Of course, Louisville self-imposed a postseason ban, so maybe they would have made some noise in the tournament had they been in.  Hopefully this is just a down year for pressing teams and we have more success next year and beyond.  The emphasis on calling fouls with minimal contact on the perimeter is a definite concern.

Captain Morgan

100 % agree with this statement.

"This is the we do things and we will live and die by it" concept can be beaten by better coaching. The type of coaches that adjust different styles throughout the game  ;)

intelligence

Here's to hoping Indiana beats Kentucky

hoglady

I'm glad Texas lost - but I have to admit I was looking forward to A&M beating the tar out of them.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 19, 2016, 05:04:41 am

No.
It is a style of the past.

Just like the imbeciles that keep pushing for a shot clock lower and lower, what happens is you continously define what can and will be able to win games as a style.

Bye Bye Hawgball. 
You worked in the day, bur you got legislated out of existence.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 19, 2016, 04:23:58 pm
No.
It is a style of the past.

Just like the imbeciles that keep pushing for a shot clock lower and lower, what happens is you continously define what can and will be able to win games as a style.

Bye Bye Hawgball. 
You worked in the day, bur you got legislated out of existence.
This statement is accurate. Problem is the Anderson apologists will disagree. Although you see Texas and West Virginia losing in the 1st round.

There are thousands of different ways to play the game of basketball. One style does not overshadow all the others. A great coach using all styles available and adjusts accordingly to how the game is played.

The full court press is in 2016 six feet under and buried.  ;)

alohawg

The full court press is just a tool in your proverbial coaching tool box and like any tool, it's only as good and useful as the coaches knowledge of how and when to break it out. Now, if you have a coach that only knows how to function with only one tool in his toolbox, your success will be equally as limited. Diviversify your toolbox and learn to use all of them, coach.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

DeltaBoy

Any time a Longhorn loses another Hog fan earns his wings.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 21, 2016, 08:19:54 am
Any time a Longhorn loses another Hog fan earns his wings.

Torqued pork

I never felt the hate for Texas hoops like I did for Texas football. I can still remember Abe Lemons calling the Hogs after U.S. Reed's shot against Louisville and Tom Penders being helpless against 40 minutes of hell.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: alohawg on March 20, 2016, 07:12:51 pm
The full court press is just a tool in your proverbial coaching tool box and like any tool, it's only as good and useful as the coaches knowledge of how and when to break it out. Now, if you have a coach that only knows how to function with only one tool in his toolbox, your success will be equally as limited. Diviversify your toolbox and learn to use all of them, coach.
It's used when needed. Much like Aggies did against Northern Iowa. Pull out the full court press in desperation mode. Use it as a base defense and you don't get out of the first weekend of the tournament; or in our case not even make the NIT, CBI or Vegas 8.

slowride

Quote from: Torqued pork on March 22, 2016, 04:02:44 am
I never felt the hate for Texas hoops like I did for Texas football. I can still remember Abe Lemons calling the Hogs after U.S. Reed's shot against Louisville and Tom Penders being helpless against 40 minutes of hell.

I have to agree with you.  I actually root for the horns in bb when they play anyone but us.  Football?  Not so much.  I think they are headed in the right direction with Shaka Smart.  Will be fun the watch.