Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Travis Ford out at Oklahoma State

Started by Hoggy Bear, March 18, 2016, 10:09:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 22, 2016, 06:23:28 am
Great hire by OSU. He is going to revive their program. Meanwhile, we are stuck with Mike.

These types of posts are funny. I picture you sticking out your bottom lip with arms crossed while stomping your left foot. Go ahead and scream "it's not fair!" For good measure
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pork Twain

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 19, 2016, 01:08:58 pm
Billy Donovan has. I don't remember screen names, but I've seen it on here numerous times from the anti Anderson bunch.
You have never seen that, I can promise you.  I am anti-Pel and I have never seen that.  At least he did something positive for the university though, which is more than you can say for the guy before or after him.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Quote from: lefty08 on March 22, 2016, 06:37:37 am

These types of posts are funny. I picture you sticking out your bottom lip with arms crossed while stomping your left foot. Go ahead and scream "it's not fair!" For good measure

TCU and Oklahoma State just drastically improved their coaches. It's sad to see fans like you are content with having the coach you love over a coach that will succeed. Such a shame.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Kevin on March 19, 2016, 08:51:07 pm
Don't they know they cannot get a better coach
Spot on....but hey, we have a "feel good" nostalgic hire that's gonna "pick them up when they get off the bus"
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

lefty08

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 22, 2016, 06:49:41 am
TCU and Oklahoma State just drastically improved their coaches. It's sad to see fans like you are content with having the coach you love over a coach that will succeed. Such a shame.

Please tell me more about my stance on our program
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

wheelspigharvey

Anybody on either end of the debate really think we'd be looking for a new coach at the end of this season? 

Razorod

Well, I would hate to be Bruce Weber, K-State's coach. Talk about a fan base that will go ballistic if K-State struggles and Underwood is successful.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

LouisHog

You have absolutely no way of knowing this.

You said the exact same thing when we hired Mike and after last season. Quit being such baby.

hogsanity

Quote from: lefty08 on March 22, 2016, 07:54:12 am
Please tell me more about my stance on our program

Your stance has been very clear, you are happy wth whatever record the basketball team has as long as Mike is the coach. Content to stay wrapped up in the moth eaten remains of the 1994 nc blanket.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lefty08

Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2016, 09:17:29 am
Your stance has been very clear, you are happy wth whatever record the basketball team has as long as Mike is the coach. Content to stay wrapped up in the moth eaten remains of the 1994 nc blanket.

You got links?

RazorPiggie

OSU just made a great hire. What is he like 58-1 in conference over the last 3 or 4 years? I don't care what conference you are in that's crazy good.

LouisHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2016, 09:16:28 am
Awesome, took you 4 posts to break the rules and call someone a name. Typical of those who put the coach above the program.

LOL. Give me a break.

What was false about my post? Whatsoever?

hogsanity

Quote from: lefty08 on March 22, 2016, 09:21:59 am
You got links?

I am sure if I want to spend the time I will find more links to that effect over the last 5 years than Mike has ncaat appearances here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LouisHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 22, 2016, 09:23:29 am
OSU just made a great hire. What is he like 58-1 in conference over the last 3 or 4 years? I don't care what conference you are in that's crazy good.

He has a great record but NONE of you know how his program management will transition into a power 5 school.

It's worlds different recruiting, academic requirements, booster management, pressure etc.

He could be extremely successful, but he could also be a huge flub out like we've seen time and time again. Just be reasonable here.

onebadrubi

Quote from: LouisHog on March 22, 2016, 09:24:15 am
LOL. Give me a break.

Just out of curiosity, how many screen names you have here?  What were some of your old ones?

hogsanity

Quote from: LouisHog on March 22, 2016, 09:24:15 am
LOL. Give me a break.

i mentioned nothing about your post being true or false, I said you took 4 posts to break the rules and call someone a name. But, if you do not think both TCU and OSU upgraded at the coaching position, you must not pay much attention to college basketball.

LouisHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2016, 09:27:17 am
i mentioned nothing about your post being true or false, I said you took 4 posts to break the rules and call someone a name. But, if you do not think both TCU and OSU upgraded at the coaching position, you must not pay much attention to college basketball.

Of course they upgraded. You know darn well I'm talking about the "I wish we had such and such" hindsight crowd.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2016, 09:41:04 am
You mean those who wish we had a coach that made the ncaat more than once every 5 years? Yes, it is terrible some of our fans wish we had that, I guess 16-16 in year 5 is all our fans should want just as long as good ole Mike Anderson is on the sidelines telling his players they gettin punked while he looks for a bear to fight.

My goodness, you are a broken record. Do you ever post about anything else?

lefty08

Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2016, 09:25:34 am
I am sure if I want to spend the time I will find more links to that effect over the last 5 years than Mike has ncaat appearances here.

I'm smart enough to understand someone can be unhappy with the program and also think that firing everyone may not be the right course to take. Sorry if that threatens you

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: lefty08 on March 22, 2016, 09:43:49 am
I'm smart enough to understand someone can be unhappy with the program and also think that firing everyone may not be the right course to take. Sorry if that threatens you

Leo Durocher is credited with coining the phrase, "Nice guys finish last."  More and more in today's big time sports world, I'm afraid that's becoming true.  Maybe not last, but certainly not first.  To succeed as a big time college coach in the revenue sports especially, you have to be pretty ruthless.  Mike just doesn't seem to have that in him. 

Mike will always have people's respect because of the type of person he is.  But he may not always have a Power 5 head coaching job.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: LouisHog on March 22, 2016, 09:26:38 am
He has a great record but NONE of you know how his program management will transition into a power 5 school.

It's worlds different recruiting, academic requirements, booster management, pressure etc.

He could be extremely successful, but he could also be a huge flub out like we've seen time and time again. Just be reasonable here.

I think dude will be extremely successful. I understand people not jumping on Chris Beard right now because it is just one year. Underwood has done it for 3 straight years, losing 1 conference game and winning 2 tourney games while being no lower than a 12 seed. Hell they should be in the Sweet 16 if not for a buzzer beater tip in from a player that hasn't scored since the beginning of March.

hogman99

SuperSid4Ever

I believe it was a hire based on finances.  If they had hired a proven, established coach, it would have likely cost them more than they were willing to spend, especially given the $7 million it took to buy out Ford's contract.  Simple case of trying to balance what they can reasonably expect to get in revenues that would be generated by the program over the term of the new coach's contract versus what they knew they'd be paying the new coach and his staff.

JIHawg

You'all need to get off Mike's back.  All this negative talk will hurt recruiting and make in-state players go out of state.  He has won a March Madness tournament game in the last five years coaching in one of the toughest conferences in the country.

The_Iceman

Quote from: JIHawg on March 22, 2016, 10:46:42 am
You'all need to get off Mike's back.  All this negative talk will hurt recruiting and make in-state players go out of state.  He has won a March Madness tournament game in the last five years coaching in one of the toughest conferences in the country.

Nice!

SuperSid4Ever

You'all need to get off Mike's back.  All this negative talk will hurt recruiting and make in-state players go out of state.  He has won a few March Madness tournament games in the last dozen or so years coaching in two of the toughest conferences in the country.

Added some plurality to your post.  Hope you don't mind.

MikePiazza

Quote from: hogsanity on March 22, 2016, 09:50:54 am
Doesn't threaten me, it saddens me.

I try but everything here always comes back to someone posting about how great Mike is for the program. Just like this thread, OSU ( and TCU ) make moves to upgrade after seeing the previous coaches not move the program forward, and in short order the Mike apologists show up here talking about how there is no need to upgrade here.

Ford was at OSu for 8 seasons, went to the NCAAt 5 times in that span, but OSU and it's fans were not satisfied with that, so they made a change. Apparently we are supposed to be satisfied with 1 ncaat trip in 5 years ( as long as the coach is Mike of course ).

Ford inherited a better situation than Mike. Oklahoma State had not missed the postseason when he took the job in 2008 since 1996. Ford made the tourney with a team that Sean Sutton had built twice, then went NIT and missed postseason completely before making three straight NCAA's, two of which they only made by virtue of the Big 12 being a very strong league.

He went 12-20 this year and only won three Big 12 games. Had he gone 16-16 and gone 7-11 or 8-10 again, he might've gotten one more year.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Captain Morgan

I'm trying to understand a win over Wofford works out as the height of the tenure and SEC ain't so tough.

Ironhawg

yocdaddy

His recruiting sucks, nothing we say on Hogville will have an impact.  He better hope his JUCO guys play well in year 1...
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: yocdaddy on March 22, 2016, 06:01:55 pm
His recruiting sucks, nothing we say on Hogville will have an impact.  He better hope his JUCO guys play well in year 1...

What are you gonna do?  Personally fund the buyout of his contract?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on March 23, 2016, 01:16:52 am
What are you gonna do?  Personally fund the buyout of his contract?

I'll go $10.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 22, 2016, 10:22:17 am
I think dude will be extremely successful. I understand people not jumping on Chris Beard right now because it is just one year. Underwood has done it for 3 straight years, losing 1 conference game and winning 2 tourney games while being no lower than a 12 seed. Hell they should be in the Sweet 16 if not for a buzzer beater tip in from a player that hasn't scored since the beginning of March.

Agree.
I think his track record speaks volumes.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on March 23, 2016, 09:40:36 am
There is ALWAYS an excuse for Mike. Why can't people just admit, he is a good man, and a average coach. That will get you about what we've gotten so far. If you are happy with that because Mike is here, then fine, you like the coach more than you like winning, admit it and move on.

I'm straddling the fence on firing him.
I didn't like this season for sure, but I'm OK with him having the next season to get us back to the NCAAT.

Sink or swim, win or go home.

And to be perfectly honest, I don't think he'll get it done.
I simply can't provide an example where three JUCOs came in, immediately gelled and transitioned and were so good, they each have professional careers waiting on them which is how many on here have painted them.

His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

azhog10

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 23, 2016, 09:57:10 am
I'm straddling the fence on firing him.
I didn't like this season for sure, but I'm OK with him having the next season to get us back to the NCAAT.

Sink or swim, win or go home.

And to be perfectly honest, I don't think he'll get it done.
I simply can't provide an example where three JUCOs came in, immediately gelled and transitioned and were so good, they each have professional careers waiting on them which is how many on here have painted them.
Marquette did it a few times. Although they used transfers as well, but their sweet 16 team in 10-11 had four or so JUCO's on it, only difference is they didn't all come in at the same time so some of them had a year or two under their belt.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on March 23, 2016, 10:18:52 am
Just back to the ncaat is enough? I think they will do that. But is getting in as a say a 9 seed and losing in the 1st round really enough? It seems like the expectations are being set at whatever it is people think will keep Mike until the next year, then the next, it is always about Mile keeping his job, never about the program ascending to anything other than just making the ncaat every other season or so. That is why I think the bottom next year should be ncaa sweet 16. Don't make it that far, well, its been a great ride back to the 90's, but it is time to close that book forever.

Well, who would we get?
OSU made a home run hire.
Possibly the best mid major coach that was out there.
I certainly wouldn't be for canning MA for a "meh" hire.

I wouldn't want Beard based on only one season at the D1 level.
Smart took over Texas last year, so he's not available.
Our program isn't attractive enough anymore to pull a big name coach.
I'm not being argumentative, I don't follow the game like I once did.

Who would be good candidates?
His response to me:

hogsanity

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 23, 2016, 10:35:19 am
Well, who would we get?
OSU made a home run hire.
Possibly the best mid major coach that was out there.
I certainly wouldn't be for canning MA for a "meh" hire.

I wouldn't want Beard based on only one season at the D1 level.
Smart took over Texas last year, so he's not available.
Our program isn't attractive enough anymore to pull a big name coach.
I'm not being argumentative, I don't follow the game like I once did.

Who would be good candidates?

Here we go with this line again. We quite possibly could have had Underwood this off season had we done what OSu did and gotten rid of a mediocre coach that shows no signs of doing much. I mean a week ago who would have thought OSU could have gotten Underwood, or that TCU could have gotten Dixon ( I know he is an alum )?

As for who could the Hogs get, who knows. Until you identify a target list and start asking you will never know. That is no reason not to make a change though.

Inhogswetrust

March 24, 2016, 07:13:14 am #88 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:47:52 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 23, 2016, 09:29:36 am
Agree.
I think his track record speaks volumes.

Don't you think it is better for a car owner to see a driver race around the track more than one lap before hiring them to race their car?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi