Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Travis Ford out at Oklahoma State

Started by Hoggy Bear, March 18, 2016, 10:09:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver

Was a terrible hire to start with.  They'll probably rebound with their next hire.

IronMountainHog

Hire Pelphey, some idiots on here still think he's a great coach.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Oliver on March 18, 2016, 10:51:44 pm
Was a terrible hire to start with.  They'll probably rebound with their next hire.

Are you joking?
A friend of mine, an alum of OSU, stated at the initial hiring:
Travis Ford > John Wooden (Might be a bit of hyperbole, but let's not mince words.)
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Oliver

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 18, 2016, 11:09:46 pm
Are you joking?
A friend of mine, an alum of OSU, stated at the initial hiring:
Travis Ford > John Wooden (Might be a bit of hyperbole, but let's not mince words.)

That's just homers attitudes when you hire a new coach.  He's the best coach in the world until he gets fired.  Then he was fired at the right time.

I'm speaking purely from an honest external to OSU POV

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Oliver on March 18, 2016, 11:15:28 pm
That's just homers attitudes when you hire a new coach.  He's the best coach in the world until he gets fired.  Then he was fired at the right time.

I'm speaking purely from an honest external to OSU POV

Of course.
I couldn't pass up an opportunity to rub it in a bit though.
;)
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Oliver

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 18, 2016, 11:17:44 pm
Of course.
I couldn't pass up an opportunity to rub it in a bit though.
;)

I thought it was hilarious when they gave him a raise to where he made more than Mike Gundy.  :)

hogman99

MountieDawg

SEC!

rzrbk4life

Think the Cowboys will give beard a look??
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Hawghiggs

I must be in the minority. Because I think Travis Ford is a solid coach. He coached his teams well in a much better basketball conference and has a solid recruiting record.  Yes he did have a terrible season. But it wasn't from lack of effort. He signed two 4* players in this years recruiting class.

latrops

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 18, 2016, 11:08:51 pm
Hire Pelphey, some idiots on here still think he's a great coach.

Can you name one person that has said he is a "great coach" in the last 6 years?

IronMountainHog

Quote from: latrops on March 19, 2016, 08:31:46 am
Can you name one person that has said he is a "great coach" in the last 6 years?
Billy Donovan has. I don't remember screen names, but I've seen it on here numerous times from the anti Anderson bunch.

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Kevin

I hear they will make a play for marshall
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dr. Starcs

I'd like to see them go outside the box and bring in Chevy Chase.

From a Ford to a Chevy would be a great story.

HogBreath

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 19, 2016, 01:24:45 pm
I'd like to see them go outside the box and bring in Chevy Chase.

From a Ford to a Chevy would be a great story.
I just hope T Boone Pickens don't dig deep in to his money bags and then come after CMA. 

That has me worried.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hobhog

Captain Morgan

Quote from: HogBreath on March 19, 2016, 01:31:54 pm
I just hope T Boone Pickens don't dig deep in to his money bags and then come after CMA. 

That has me worried.
Michael Anderson did play college basketball at Tulsa and that's about an hour from Stillwater. But I think they will have a bigger name in mind. Interesting thought though. One that I would be prepared for as an AD and hopefully wouldn't throw Long off.

Jackrabbit Hog

That has me worried.

Now that it's afternoon and I've got my sarcasm radar going full strength....good job.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HogBreath

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 19, 2016, 01:44:17 pm
Michael Anderson did play college basketball at Tulsa and that's about an hour from Stillwater. But I think they will have a bigger name in mind. Interesting thought though. One that I would be prepared for as an AD and hopefully wouldn't throw Long off.
With Coach Anderson's strong connection to Oklahoma, having coached & played at Tulsa, also the tradition of OSU, and the resources of Mr Pickens, getting back to the Big 12 and his wonderful, glory days at Mizzou.  I'm sure Coach would be good as gone, I mean hopefully, anyways. 

We should just wish him well and go after another coach, maybe the guy at Stephen F Austin? 
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: HogBreath on March 19, 2016, 02:47:52 pm
With Coach Anderson's strong connection to Oklahoma, having coached & played at Tulsa, also the tradition of OSU, and the resources of Mr Pickens, getting back to the Big 12 and his wonderful, glory days at Mizzou.  I'm sure Coach would be good as gone, I mean hopefully, anyways. 

We should just wish him well and go after another coach, maybe the guy at Stephen F Austin?
Brad Underwood at SFA is one option so is Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa.

Oliver

That has me worried.

I don't think Boone has pockets that deep

ricepig

Quote from: Oliver on March 19, 2016, 03:14:51 pm
I don't think Boone has pockets that deep

Depends on whether the wind is blowing......

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Buff

Local rumors for several weeks have been Doug Gottlieb.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Buff on March 19, 2016, 04:24:13 pm
Local rumors for several weeks have been Doug Gottlieb.

America could only hope this is true.  Watching him flame out would be glorious.

Dr. Starcs

I read Gottlieb was lobbying for another job as well just a few days ago. Can't remember where that was.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 19, 2016, 04:25:11 pm
I read Gottlieb was lobbying for another job as well just a few days ago. Can't remember where that was.

Circus Clown?
His response to me:

Buff

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 19, 2016, 04:25:00 pm
America could only hope this is true.  Watching him flame out would be glorious.

What makes you so sure he would be a flame out?  He is one of the all time bests from OSU, and a heck of an X and O guy who played under Sutton.  Only drawback would be lack of actual, you know, coaching experience.

hogwood

We should hire Ford as a recruiter. He did amazing work in Texas and in particular in the Dallas area. McGriff, Smart, Nash... If you can get those kids to Stillwater you can get them to Fayetteville.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogwood on March 19, 2016, 04:31:20 pm
We should hire Ford as a recruiter.

Can't afford him, with our budget. He's going to pocket $7.2 mill when he leaves OSU though. I'll be surprised if he's in a hurry to find another job.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Buff on March 19, 2016, 04:27:27 pm
What makes you so sure he would be a flame out?  He is one of the all time bests from OSU, and a heck of an X and O guy who played under Sutton.  Only drawback would be lack of actual, you know, coaching experience.

Oh, nobody could be sure he'd flame out, but I think there'd be a good chance of it.  The lack of any coaching experience is part of it, but the guy's got a huge ego and I just don't think he'd have the patience or the temperament to be successful.  He seems to be one of those guys who is always the smartest guy in the room, and if you don't believe that just ask him.

Dr. Starcs

Jackrabbit Hog

1hawgballer2

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 19, 2016, 02:53:51 pm
Brad Underwood at SFA is one option so is Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa.

One concern regarding these mid-major coaches, the trend usually are the players remains within the program for 4yrs given them a chance to develop. Besides UA is no longer that program kids are standing in line to play for, this is no longer the nineties. We should all hope this incoming class is everything we expect it to be, including a bag of chips. I believe this class will be CA's building blocks where he can continue to add pieces season to season 😎

HOGINTENNESSEE

March 19, 2016, 06:59:09 pm #37 Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:19:16 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 19, 2016, 04:25:11 pm

I hope it wasn't to be a treasurer somewhere.

Dang 2 other credit card jokes before mine

Dr. Starcs

IronMountainHog

Quote from: hogwood on March 19, 2016, 04:31:20 pm
We should hire Ford as a recruiter. He did amazing work in Texas and in particular in the Dallas area. McGriff, Smart, Nash... If you can get those kids to Stillwater you can get them to Fayetteville.
OSU has always gotten good players out of DFW area. You see, they actually make connections within the AAU down there. That is an afterthought for this staff. We rely on family connections, past coaching stops, and anyone from Birmingham, AL. Hell, we can't even get the best in state to come here.

hobhog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 19, 2016, 08:07:47 pm
OSU has always gotten good players out of DFW area. You see, they actually make connections within the AAU down there. That is an afterthought for this staff. We rely on family connections, past coaching stops, and anyone from Birmingham, AL. Hell, we can't even get the best in state to come here.

Agree. Doesn't seem to be a lot of hard work, investigation and late nights coming out of this staff when player evaluation and retention is involved.

SMB Hogfan

QuoteHell, we can't even get the best in state to come here.
This!
Fender Stratocaster
Icom 2200H w/ D-Star
M2 Mac Mini 🍎

Kevin

Don't they know they cannot get a better coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

I agree....biggest problem we have is retention whether it is convincing guys to stay another year to develop like powell/qualls/BJ etc or guys not happy with minutes or promises made like babb/whitt. Its just not a good job by this staff and it is going to get them fired.

Oliver

Quote from: Oliver on March 18, 2016, 10:51:44 pm

And rebound did they ever...set to hire Brad Underwood.  Great hire

::smh::

SuperSid4Ever

One of the people being mentioned as a serious candidate is Doug Gottlieb from ESPN.  Eddie Sutton has gone so far as to endorse him, as well.

While less experienced for sure, I'd switch coaches with OSU right now.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Karma on March 21, 2016, 09:18:18 pm
While less experienced for sure, I'd switch coaches with OSU right now.

No, no, it's okay.  We have Hawg Ball. 

Oklahoma State was the only school to offer a guy who has two NCAA tournament wins over top three seeds with Southland Conference talent.  In other words, almost anyone could have had him. 

The_Iceman