Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cabot vs Bentonville

Started by LRrazorback, March 11, 2016, 09:40:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRrazorback

Cabot leads at half 25-22.  Cabot fans were calling the hogs earlier.  Go Cabot!

LRrazorback

End of the third 36-33 Bentonville

Hawgphish

Monk shooting Bentonville out of the state championship.  And their coach is letting him.  Not impressed.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Hawgphish on March 11, 2016, 10:20:13 pm
Monk shooting Bentonville out of the state championship.  And their coach is letting him.  Not impressed.
He's really going to enjoy being the "man" at Kentucky. lol
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Hawgphish

Willyboy

Hawgphish

54 to 45 Cabot with 1:30 to go.

Dropkick

litmachog

54-45 Cabot.  Monk now 7 of 22

HogFanWoody

WPS Go HOGS!

Hawgphish

56-45 with one minute to play.  Cabot up.

ADavisTheGOAT

Hawgphish

56-49 with 30 seconds, Cabot.

Willyboy

Love it.  Thank you Cabot Panthers. 

PorkRinds

Cabot is arkansas' team right now.

Hawgphish

Cabot student body been calling the Hogs.

Hawgphish

58-49 Cabot with 11 seconds to go.

Hawgphish

LRrazorback

ADavisTheGOAT

Hawgphish

monk finished 0-11 from three.  8-24 overall.

Willyboy

HogFanWoody

Jarrod Barnes, HOG commit in football was the leading scorer for Cabot. Monk 0-11 from 3. WPS!!!!
WPS Go HOGS!

JIHawg

Cabot was scrappy and went on a 15-2 run in the 4th quarter to take control of the game.  Monk played awful, was not a team player, shot horrible, did not play defense, and was a typical ball hog.  The guy guarding him was probably 5-9.  He got in his face which shocked the tv announcers.  Wow.

Dropkick

Choke job by Monk. Way to go Cabot!

spahoopsfan

Quote from: JIHawg on March 11, 2016, 10:40:51 pm
Cabot was scrappy and went on a 15-2 run in the 4th quarter to take control of the game.  Monk played awful, was not a team player, shot horrible, did not play defense, and was a typical ball hog.  The guy guarding him was probably 5-9.  He got in his face which shocked the tv announcers.  Wow.

The guy guarding him was jarrod barnes who is closer to 6' and did a great job because he is so quick.  Future razorback receiver.

HognitiveDissonance

Yea, this is not a thread to bash Monk as not being very good, because he clearly is a great player.
But it does sound like he had a terrible game at the worst possible time. 0h-fer from three point land?
This is great...way to go Cabot.
Monk doesn't win any hardware tonight. Awesome.

litmachog

The great Monk leaves Arkansas without a state championship.  Yawn.

BigSexyHog

Poor Monk.  maybe Cal can call his little baby tonight on the bus ride home
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

orgkeith

Monk = volume shooter much like Archie Goodwin.  Throw up enough shots and you might get to 30 pts, not tonight.  Barnes came up big.

litmachog

For those not watching, Barnes had a big blocked shot and a steal late in the game on Monk. 

hawgfan4life

Hate to root against a kid, but I'm really glad to celebrate Cabot's win.

Dropkick

I hope the Hog calls are still ringing in the monk brothers ears.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dr. Starcs

Converted Cabot fan here.

Congrats!!!

hview

Barnes had a lot to do with holding Monk in check. He played lights out. Games MVP! Man that kid can ball!

codeHog

intelligence

well ain't that somethin'. props to cabot for reppin the  :razorback:

hview

I was really impressed with Barnes, for a full time football player who transitioned over to basketball at the end of football season he showed some great skills!

Torqued pork

Hawgphish

Bentonville had better players.  But Cabot was the better team, better coached.  Bentonville looks like a summer AAU team.  Poor shot selection, no patience on offense.  Star player jacking up fade away three's. 

Best team won.

Inhogswetrust

March 12, 2016, 07:24:18 am #41 Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 09:40:06 am by Inhogswetrust
I was there last weekend in Cabot. Man, Cabot now had a really nice gym! Bentonville had fewer fans there than some of the other far away schools.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

root_hawg

Bentonville had one better player, Cabot had a better team

JayBell

SO many thoughts about last night's game.  It was very, very ugly for the first three quarters, then a basketball game broke out in the fourth quarter and Cabot put it on them.

I've seen Monk listed as 0-10, 0-11, 0-13 and 0-14 from 3-point.  I know the official stats list him as 0-10, but they also list him with 32 minutes.  He took himself out around the end of the second quarter, so that's mathematically impossible.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: root_hawg on March 12, 2016, 09:03:34 am
Bentonville had one better player, Cabot had a better team

which one was that? 

JayBell

I was super pissed at Fayetteville for losing to Cabot in the quarterfinals.  A Bentonville/Fayetteville final could have been the best game we've seen in the state in years, maybe since EPC and Altheimer played a couple of times in Marcus Monk's senior year.

Monk just never turned it on last night and it's a pattern I've noticed.  He seems to get up to play other good individuals.  He turned it on last year when they faced KeVaugn Allen.  He scored 33 points to win in overtime against Van Buren and the Missouri commit in the semifinals.  He scored 41 when they lost to Willis and Fayetteville a couple of weeks ago.  I think it is too simple and ignorant to say he's overrated or something like that.  He's definitely very good, but you wonder what's missing when he plays more restricted.

Everybody in the building and online kept expecting Monk to take over, especially when it got dicey in the fourth quarter and he just never did.  He has an extra gear.  We've seen it, but last night and against West Memphis he just looked like he didn't have an extra gear or didn't feel like turning it on.  It was really weird.

ricepig

Quote from: JayBell on March 12, 2016, 09:14:10 am
I was super pissed at Fayetteville for losing to Cabot in the quarterfinals.  A Bentonville/Fayetteville final could have been the best game we've seen in the state in years, maybe since EPC and Altheimer played a couple of times in Marcus Monk's senior year.

Monk just never turned it on last night and it's a pattern I've noticed.  He seems to get up to play other good individuals.  He turned it on last year when they faced KeVaugn Allen.  He scored 33 points to win in overtime against Van Buren and the Missouri commit in the semifinals.  He scored 41 when they lost to Willis and Fayetteville a couple of weeks ago.  I think it is too simple and ignorant to say he's overrated or something like that.  He's definitely very good, but you wonder what's missing when he plays more restricted.

Everybody in the building and online kept expecting Monk to take over, especially when it got dicey in the fourth quarter and he just never did.  He has an extra gear.  We've seen it, but last night and against West Memphis he just looked like he didn't have an extra gear or didn't feel like turning it on.  It was really weird.

Fayetteville and Bentonville had already played twice this year, with Fayetteville winning both. Also, Bryant beat Fayetteville in the quarter-finals. Cabot also beat Fayetteville earlier in the year.

JayBell

It looked like Bentonville was going to run away with it early on.  I believe they jumped out to a 13-2 lead.  Monk got him two dunks early on (or maybe three? I didn't see the lob) despite missing a few 3-pointers.  But then we saw him and Bentonville take the foot off the gas.  That seems to be a pattern with Monk.  He did it against West Memphis too.

If Monk makes a couple of those shots and led 19-2 early on, the game would have been over.  Instead, Cabot made it 13-7 and all of a sudden it was a game, an ugly game, but a game nonetheless.

Cabot was just all over the place and it never felt like they had enough to overtake Bentonville.  No one for Bentonville shot the ball well last night and both teams do play really good defense.  The 6'8" post player for Cabot showed some very polished post play on the offensive end and wore out Hutchinson and the other Bentonville player inside.

A lot of questionable calls were made in Bentonville's favor - with 3:46 left in the third quarter, Cabot had already been called for 8 fouls in the second half to just 1 for Bentonville - but the referees were pretty consistent with a lot of charges.  They weren't letting anyone charge at the basket out of control and that may have made Monk more reluctant to drive.  He did end up with 3-4 fouls.

JayBell

Quote from: ricepig on March 12, 2016, 09:21:21 amFayetteville and Bentonville had already played twice this year, with Fayetteville winning both. Also, Bryant beat Fayetteville in the quarter-finals. Cabot also beat Fayetteville earlier in the year.

I could have sworn Bentonville won the first matchup, but you're right.  Fayetteville won both.  I wish I could have seen them.  They were both very close.

Cabot finished 4-1 against the 7A West.  Very impressive.  They lost to Springdale in December, but beat Fayetteville twice, Springdale in the state tournament and Bentonville in the final.  They look like a team that got better throughout the season and Barnes may have been a huge part of that.

JayBell

Everyone talked about a 15-2 run, but it was really a 12-0 run when Cabot took over.  They were down 42-36 and I was thinking, "Man, if they hit a 3 right now, it'd be huge."  Then (I think it was) Barnes hit one and I thought, "Uh oh."  They were coming back up the court and I was thinking, "Another 3 would be crazy right now."  Sure enough, another 3.

Then they made another, quick 6-point run on a few short shots and it was never really close again.  It was really over when the point guard for Cabot made a steal (maybe from Monk) and put in a layup past Hutchinson to make it 54-45 (?).

My cousin DVR'd the second half and I plan to watch it again.  It was a really fun fourth quarter.  I kept expecting Monk to take over, but it ended up being a fun game overall.  I didn't even expect it to be close.  It felt like a glorified victory lap for Monk after Fayetteville went out.  Most had him penciled in for at least 30 points in the last game of his high school career.