Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama Triplets go for 5th consecutive state title

Started by Hoot72, February 29, 2016, 02:03:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoot72

I lived in this little town for about 5 years in the mid-70's, and this is a remarkable story.  These three girls (triplets) are going for there 5th consecutive state championship this week, and they have all started since the 8th grade.  Another interesting tidbit -- this could be the 12th state title for this girls program.  The triplets, their mother was the starting point guard for the 1st title team.  I believe that all three girls have signed with the University of North Alabama.

http://www.timesdaily.com/sports/high_school/lauderdale-county-s-triplets-hope-to-end-careers-with-th/article_1bc591cb-7d2b-5877-a180-33fbfad79005.html#.VtRiv4Ptpws.facebook

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hoot72

State seminfinal, girls 3A state championship:  Lauderdale County 47, opponent 13.  I would say that is pretty decisive.

Hoot72

Final:  Lauderdale County 83, Barbour County 38. Lauderdale County will play Friday for the opportunity to win their 5th straight state championship. 

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-1218581509242448187/lauderdale-county-83-barbour-county-38-tigers-parlay-early-lead-into-runaway-victory/

This is really an amazing story to me, with these triplets leading a school to such an enviable record of success.  In the game this morning, in the first half they shot 60% (including 7 three pointers) and forced 17 turnovers with their full-court pressure defense.  I appreciate those of you indulging my interest.

Grizzlyfan

5 years starting for the high school team?  Am I understanding you right? 

Hoot72

Yes.  It is my understanding that in the state of Alabama that is allowed.  Well, I guess that I know that it is -- because these three girls have done it.  Here is a quote from the story that is linked in the original post -- Simply known throughout the state as "the triplets," the Wallens have been terrorizing opposing teams since the eighth grade, when Ivy and Emma played integral roles in Lauderdale County's first of four consecutive state titles.  Evidently, Ella was not a contributor in her 8th grade year.

Hoot72

Well, this girls team won their 5th consecutive state championship, beating Montgomery Academy 55-44.  In winning their 5th straight championship they set a state record for most consecutive state championship. 

I want to thank everyone for putting up with me telling about this.  I know that people in Arkansas have no interest in Alabama girls 3A basketball.  But because I had lived there, and winning 5 consecutive championships, and with the core of the team being triplets -- I just found it really interesting.  I won't post any more about it.  Thanks.

HiggiePiggy

It's a pretty good story. Thank you for the updates.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hoot72

One more really interesting point.  There is not one girl on that whole team, that has not had their school season end by winning a state championship.  That is really impressive in my opinion.