Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 MLB Draft: Razorbacks & Signees

Started by HOGLUVIN, June 06, 2006, 09:54:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGLUVIN

I think that I can hang for a while. Thanks,  I'll let ya know.

HOGLUVIN

Jimmy Lee Solaman(?) talking to some lady. NO picking happening for a minute.

Pig Power

HOGLUVIN

Article on Cardinals 1st round pick.

Ottavino garners conference and national honors
April 10, 2006
Boston, Mass.

Junior pitcher Adam Ottavino tossed his first career no-hitter in a 2-0 shutout over James Madison on April 7.
Northeastern baseball pitcher Adam Ottavino was named CAA Pitcher of the Week, the Rosenblatt Report's National Player of the Week, CollegeBaseballInsider.com's National Player of the Week and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Pro-Line Cap National Pitcher of the Week after no-hitting James Madison last Friday, the league office announced on April 10.

Earning the NCBWA honor also puts Ottavino on the watch list for the Roger Clemens Award, given to the nation's top pitcher.

Ottavino, a junior from Brooklyn, N.Y., struck out a career-high 14 batters in blanking the Dukes. He allowed three walks, but faced only 30 batters in the game, retiring the last 11 he faced.

It was the ninth no-hitter in team history, the last coming on March 20, 1999 when Greg Montalbano no-hit Niagara in a seven-inning game.

The previous nine-inning no-hitter was thrown by Joe Killelea against MIT on May 3, 1985.

Ottavino is 3-2 with a 3.77 ERA and 58 strikeouts in 43 innings. With 228 career strikeouts, he is only 13 shy of the all-time Husky record held by Jordan Thomson with 241.

Ottavino and the Huskies play at Holy Cross on Tue., April 11 at 3 p.m. Ottavino is next scheduled to start on Fri., April 14 at Old Dominion at 7 p.m.

Adam Ottavino's line against James Madison on April 7:

Northeastern           IP  H  R ER BB SO AB BF
-----------------------------------------------
Adam Ottavino.......  9.0  0  0  0  3 14 27 30

HOGLUVIN

1st round supplimental draft ... helps teams that lost Major League Free Agrents. Type A... Top 30% of all players in MLB qualifies as a Type A.

HOGLUVIN

Astros 1st pick

ALL-CENTRAL FLORIDA BASEBALL
Bishop Moore's Sapp earns baseball player of the year

Max Sapp excelled at and behind the plate to lead All-Central Florida baseball team.

Andrew Carter | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 1, 2006

PHOTOS

Bishop Moore star catcher Max Sapp (STEPHEN M. DOWELL/ORLANDO SENTINEL)
May 19, 2006

Max Sapp, Baseball Player of the Year (RICARDO RAMIREZ BUXEDA/ORLANDO SENTINEL)
May 29, 2006
RELATED STORIES
All-Central Florida Baseball team
Jun 1, 2006

All-Central Florida Baseball, featured in Varsity Weekly (ORLANDO SENTINEL)
Jun 1, 2006
STORY GALLERY

All-Central Florida High School teams (ORLANDO SENTINEL)

ADVERTISEMENTS

SPORTS INSTITUTE

How to apply
Download application
Read testimonials
Read past articles
Student Web logs
About the Institute
Photos of this 2005's writers in action

RELATED LINKS
Daily scoreboards
Daily high school news
All Central-Florida teams
State track honor roll
C.Fla. track honor roll
Area early signings by sport
Sentinel Super 6
School-by-school info
Sun-Sentinel coverage
FHSAA Web site

COLUMNISTS
Buddy Collings
Bill Buchalter
RECRUITING
FSWA All-State Team 2006
All-Southern Team 2006
All-Central Florida Teams
2006 commitment list
Area early signings by sport
2005 commitment list
Florida top 100 -- 2005
Recruiting Central
ALL-CENTRAL FLORIDA HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS
SPRING SPORTS (2006)
Baseball
Softball
Boys Volleyball
Boys and Girls Track
Boys and Girls Tennis
Girls flag football
Boys and Girls water polo
Weightlifting
Boys and Girls Lacrosse

WINTER SPORTS (2005-06)
Boys basketball
Girls basketball
Boys & girls soccer
Wrestling
FALL SPORTS (2005-06)
Football
Boys & girls bowling
Boys & girls golf
Girls volleyball
Boys & girls cross country
Boys & girls swimming

ALSO:
Sentinel's All-Southern Team
FSWA All-State Team
HOW TO GET TO GAMES

Looking for directions and contact information for high school sporting events? Use our interactive map to find addresses and get driving directions for schools in the Central Florida area.

LPN/ RN
ASSISTANT CONTROLLER
Ranger Construction
INSPECTORS
LOAN OFFICERS
MORTGAGE SALES MANAGERS
LIBERTY MORTGAGE
» Search Jobs
» Post your resume
» Post a job

In a picture from years ago, Max Sapp has what his mom calls "Shirley Temple hair" and he's holding a glove that's almost as big as he is.

The photograph of her son is one of Missy Sapp's favorites. It brings back memories of Max's younger days, when he'd go to his older brother's baseball games wearing his batting gloves and cleats, hoping to get a chance to play.

"He was just a little guy sitting there, waiting for his turn," Missy says. "He's always been that way."

Missy Sapp is a proud mom who can remember when Max was an excited youngster who'd be liable to run onto the field at his brother's games. She's also a tough mom, a single mom, and she sees a lot of herself in Max, who recently finished his senior year at Bishop Moore.

For the second consecutive season, Max Sapp is the Orlando Sentinel's choice for Central Florida baseball player of the year. He batted .591, hit nine home runs, drove in 48 and helped Bishop Moore to a 29-2 record and its third consecutive appearance in the state final four.

Sapp excelled at the plate and behind it, at catcher, arguably the baseball's most challenging position. Catcher can be a rough position, but that doesn't bother mom.

"Yeah, well, [Max] a pretty rough looking dude," Missy says. "Have you seen him? He's a bruiser."

Growing up, the guys called Max "Buddha Bear." It was a term of affection.

"He was huge," Bishop Moore teammate Mike Mehlich says.

Max, back then, was short and wide -- the perfect dimensions for a catcher. He first played the position when he was 8 years old.

"I've always had a good arm growing up and they just stuck behind there to throw runners out," Sapp says.

Sapp liked playing catcher because he liked throwing runners out but he also liked the position because, he says, "I loved putting the gear on and having the most equipment on the team."

It was neat, years ago, carrying around the biggest bag and wearing the mask, chest protector and leg armor.

In those early days, Sapp's catching ability evolved on its own. He didn't work with a coach who taught him the craft. He didn't have much guidance. He did, however, catch his brother during workouts. Joe Sapp is eight years older than Max. When Joe was in high school at Bishop Moore, throwing in the low-90s, Max was in elementary school, catching his brother's hard stuff.

"It helped out a lot," Max says. "Catching people now that are throwing 90, 92, it's like catching my brother again."

Max started from the first day of his freshman season at Bishop Moore. During his freshman and sophomore seasons, though, he didn't start at catcher. Robert Helms did.

Before Helms, Greg Dini played catcher for the Hornets. And before him, it was Andrew Butera. Those three catchers all played in college and Dini and Butera are now the minor leagues.

Sapp played catcher on a regular basis for the US Youth National Team before he played it at Bishop Moore. Sapp played for the Youth National Team in the summer of the 2004 and then the US Junior National Team in the summer of '05.

Dave Wheeler, Bishop Moore's coach, has been at the school for all the recent catching talent. And Sapp is unlike any high school catcher the coach has seen.

"It's very uncommon for someone to come along with and like he does and have the arm that he does," Wheeler says. "Usually there's one or the other."

Sapp's favorite thing about catching -- throwing out would-be base stealers -- doesn't surprise his mom.

"He's competitive," says Missy, who played on an undefeated girls basketball team when she was in high school. "He always seems to step it up a notch when you think he's at the peak of it. He turns it on."

Sapp views those who try to steal on him almost as an insult to his ability.

"Everybody knows I have a good arm, that I'm real quick from home to second," he says. "I just love when somebody tries to steal on me. Just to prove them wrong, that they can't steal that base."

Like he did when he was a young child at his brother's games, Sapp again must wait. He has signed with Florida State but he could be a first-round pick in the Major League draft on June 6.

HOGLUVIN

Supp picks
1. Dodgers : SS Preston Mattingly ( Don's Son).

HOGLUVIN

2. Orioles : RHP Pedro Beato  6/5 210 ( was drafted by NY and wouldn't sign for less that 2million. Sounds taylor made for Orioles.)

HOGLUVIN

3. Giants : SS Emmanuel Burris Kent State  6/0 170 (prolly going to 2nd)

HOGLUVIN

June 06, 2006, 01:01:56 pm #60 Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:08:05 pm by HOGLUVIN
34. D'backs  : RHP Brooks Brown  Uni. of GA  6/3  188

HOGLUVIN

June 06, 2006, 01:02:54 pm #61 Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:07:56 pm by HOGLUVIN
35. Padres : OF Kyler Burke 6/2  200 (pitched some) (excellent hitter) TN high school

HOGLUVIN

June 06, 2006, 01:04:08 pm #62 Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:07:48 pm by HOGLUVIN
36. Marlins : 3b Chris Coghlan  Ole Miss  6/1  197

HOGLUVIN

June 06, 2006, 01:05:30 pm #63 Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:07:35 pm by HOGLUVIN
37. Phillies : SS Adrian Cardeanas 6/0 185  (sames hs with Marrero, from 1st round.)

HOGLUVIN

38. Braves : RHP Corey Rasmus 6/0 195  (go right at you pitcher) (brother was selectedd last year)

HOGLUVIN

39. Indians : LHP  David Huff  6/2 210  UCLA   (very polished)

HOGLUVIN

40. Red Sox : Lhp Kris Johnson Wichita St. 6/3 180

HOGLUVIN

41. Yankees : Rhp Java Chamberlain 6/4 225 Nebraska   ( * used to be 300+lbs, has a problem keeping it down.) Supposed to be a real character. Top 10 stuff in the draft.

HOGLUVIN

HOGLUVIN

HOGLUVIN

HOGLUVIN

45. Royals  ss. Jason Taylor 6/1 220  big bat.

46. Rockies : David Christenson OF M stonefield HS.

They are going soooo fast.

Zen_Hog

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on June 06, 2006, 01:13:42 pm

Rather fast than 4 hours to get through the first round of the NFL draft

HOGLUVIN

47. Drays : JOsh Butler rhp 6/5  200 San Deigo U.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on June 06, 2006, 01:14:54 pm
Quote from: HOGLUVIN on June 06, 2006, 01:13:42 pm

Rather fast than 4 hours to get through the first round of the NFL draft

not if you were trying to type it. loll

HOGLUVIN

48. Pirates : Lhp Michael Felix   Troy   6/0 200 (closer) ( formerly at Auburn)

HOGLUVIN

49. Mariners : Chris Tillman RHP 6/5 185  Fountain Valley HS.

HOGLUVIN

50. Tigers : Ronnie Bourquin  3b  ohio State ? stats .

compared atheltically to Lebron James.

HOGLUVIN

HOGLUVIN

some of these guys they dont know jack about. sorry.

HOGLUVIN

52. Reds  : Shawn Watson RHP  TN  Closer 6/3 215

HOGLUVIN

53. Padres   :  ss./2b Chad Huffman  TCU   (drafted as a p)

HOGLUVIN

54. Cards : Brad Furnish  TCU LHP 6/2  185 

HOGLUVIN

55 Braves : Brett Anderson  Lhp  Stillwater OK Hs.  6/4 215
(father coaches at OSU)

HOGLUVIN

56. Indians : Rhp Stephan Wright  U of Hawaii 6/2 205

HOGLUVIN

57.  Indians : SS Josh Rodriguez  Rice  6/0 200

HOGLUVIN

58. Orioles : Ryan Adams 3b 5/11 185 Jesuits HS  LA   prolly 2nd in bigs.

HOGLUVIN

59. Nationals : Sean Black RHp  6/3 190 Leanpe Hs NJ  94-95 mph

HOGLUVIN

60. Brewers : OF Brent Brewer 6/2 180 (committed to play FB at FSU)

HOGLUVIN

61. Padres : LHP Wade LeBlanc ALABAMA 6/3 195

See ya !

HOGLUVIN

62. Mets : RHP Kevin Mulvey  6/2 190  Villanova

Arklatex

Aubrey Miller 6-4 215 rhp out of Arkansas Tech is a projectable 15 rounder!

HOGLUVIN

63. Marlins : OF Thomas Hickman Georgia Southern Un.

HOGLUVIN

64. Twins :C Joe Benson 6/2 210 Joliet Academy.... can he paint/dance too?

HOGLUVIN

65. PHillies : rhp Andrew Carpenter 6/3 225  Long Beach St

HOGLUVIN

66. A's. RH P Trevor Kayhill... oakland Hs pitcher with their 1st pick of the draft.

not very touted. ... all surprised at this one.

Oklahawg

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB has an incomplete list of draftees. They offer a blurb about 2 out of 3 so far.

With 40-50 rounds (something outrageous like that) you can't have 15 minutes between 1st round picks.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HOGLUVIN

68. Braves : Dustin Evans RHP  Georgia Southern 

SwinedMelon

I assume someone will start rasing hell when one of our signee's/players are drafted?
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"