Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(rockies thread) spahn and sain and pray for rain........

Started by drivetimeporks, April 01, 2009, 01:00:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

drivetimeporks

well, thank god were in the worst division in baseball... the NL West.. take a look at the ROX  preseason pitching stats (per the denver post as of last sunday)

1. Aaron Cook 2-1 (2.55 era)  hes been terrifc this year.. if he could only pitch every 2nd day...

2. Ubaldo Jimenez 1-0 (7.32 era) I still have hope for this guy ...when hes on, hes great when hes not, hes  well bad enough to play for CO

3. Jason Marquis  0-3 (14.14 era) our #3 guy has a 14 plus era? what's Phil Niekro doing these days ?

4. Jorge DeLa  Rosa 1-2 (9.42 era)  I say this with confidence, dude is ONLY on the roster b/c hes a lefty

yes, i know Jeff Francis  is out for the season... in 2007 he was great.. last year he sucked.. he was hurt or whatever, but the net yield was the he sucked...

we do have some decent guys in the bullpen, but , they cant help you win when they enter the game 5 runs down...

gonna be a long 162....... hey, at least we still have Matt Holiday.. oh wait! DAMMMMIT!!!!

Oklahawg

At some point the various hispanic pitchers who bring the heat from the hill will get it under control, right?

Morales, Jimenez...who am I forgetting? These guys hit 97-102 at Tulsa a few years back. Jimenez (at the time) was overthrowing and the pitching coach was trying to get him to scale back to 92-94. At times, his fastball had so much action it would run the width of the plate.

Story from his time in Tulsa two summers ago. Twice in one game I saw him have the batter flinch (worried about being hit) and have the ball get past the catcher on the other side of the plate. Both were over 96MPH. It was a day game in mid-July (WTH?). He was going against Daniel Cabrera (? stringbean 6-7 guy for Wichita). It turned into a bean-ball fest as both had serious heat and little control.

Colorado has a problem - they are stuck halfway between competing in the lackluster west and rebuilding for the future. I can't figure out what they are doing with Jeff Baker and Ian Stewart, for example. Both are "plus" offensive players who need 400+ ABs for someone.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

drivetimeporks

and I think the rockies would agree with you on not knowing what to do with alot of players..we have plenty of offensive firepower, but   jeez we should trade some of it  for some legit pitching... Ian Stewart gets alot of press and is a darn good player, but the rocks play him all over the  field..  theres just not a spot for him unless they give him 2nd base..which to me id give to clint barmes, hes a short stop but it'll be a cold day in hell before he gets more than a handful of starts  there over Tulo...
further, im VERY disappointed with what we got in return for matt holiday.. i understand our small market team couldnt hang on to him, offer him that kind of money, but at this juncture all we have to show for it is a very IFFY  Huston Street...  like trading your Ferrari for a honda civic...

drivetimeporks

hey CORZ... ian stewart is starting today over barmes at 2nd Base... wasnt barmes announced as the starter?

drivetimeporks

drumroll.. will the rox start off behind 5-0 after 2 or 3 innings now..?
i actually cant get  that typed fast enough.. cooks first pitch is hammered over the left  field wall.. 1-0 dbags

drivetimeporks

wow.. an interesting game, exciting, but  jeez, the pitching of the rockies was absolutely horrid.. i cant imagine how it wouldve been any worse to  randomly pick 5 guys out of the stands and have them line up and pitch.. yes i know aaron cook  is very good, but even he got shelled today, i think  he lasted like 2 1/3 and gave up 4 runs? just frightening how we used maybe 4 or 5 guys today .. holy darn they just suck (pitching wise)...  course we had our batts out today and ran webb off  but, its the same freaking pattern from last year.. give up early runs and try and play catch up...(we lost 15 of 18 to az last year, and seems were on pace for that again this year)..  im not expecting great things from this team, but its disappointing to see that  were right were we left off... sheesh.. let me pitch, at least im a lefty!..

SPAL

I always root for the rockies to do well. Ive always liked them. The days of Dante Bichette and Andres Galaraga. That bunch could mash.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 06, 2009, 11:51:34 pm
I always root for the rockies to do well. Ive always liked them. The days of Dante Bichette and Andres Galaraga. That bunch could mash.
true.. the pre humidor era was fun.. we can  still score with the best of them.. but  we cant stop anyone it seems... today is just one game, and im a huge fan of the rockies, but i dont get the denial the rockies fans have...(about how bad the pitching is).. im a hog fan but when they stink , i admit it,.. same with the rockies...  its like "no our pitching is fine"!..er ok.. reality check time..we scored 8 today and LOST! lol.. i wanna pull my hair out

drivetimeporks

GAME #2 .rox v dbags .... Ubaldo Jimenez v Herren... amazing pitchers duel  rox lead 1-0 on troy tulowitzkis 2nd tater of the season.....rox gotta be pleased with jimenez  giving up 4 hits , 7 ks and no runs thru 6 2/3...... def has his A game going..  just hit 97   to end the 6th

drivetimeporks

well, how will they disappoint tonight?  were up 3-0 in the 8th..Jimenez has pitched a jewel...Barmes made a great read  to score run #2 , and todd helton had a great AB to drive in #3....   to the bottom of the 8th... ok bullpen ...as R Lee Ermey would say "sound off like you got a pair!

drivetimeporks

drivetimeporks

game#3.. franklin morales gets the start today... huh? thought jason marquis was our #3 guy?  not that im complaining.. marquis has been attrocious in spring ball...  hey whatever good luck to morales

drivetimeporks

hmm morales pitched a gem today and our bats exploded.. we won 9-2, 2nd in the west... and of course, management promptly has sent morales to AAA co springs..   not soure about other details.. but were off to a helluva start.. hey ill take it..

drivetimeporks

jason marquis will get the start  for the home opener against the phillies on friday... i might be able to take in the game on sunday... well see, go rox!

drivetimeporks

franklin morales pitches a gem , and is promptly sent to the minors for a guy that isnt even a .500 pitcher in the majors... makes sense to me.. HURDLE ....WTH???

drivetimeporks

ok Rox go to 3-1... beating Philly 10-2 today at the coors field opener... man id love to say yes I knew Ubaldo Jimenez, Franklin Morales, and Jason Marquis, our last 3 starters ,would each go at least 6 innings and give up a max of 2 runs.. but, id have been nuts to say that.. but damn glad were pitching well..  hope to have my a$$ in the stands for sundays game..

CORZRBACKFAN

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 10, 2009, 10:21:37 pm
ok Rox go to 3-1... beating Philly 10-2 today at the coors field opener... man id love to say yes I knew Ubaldo Jimenez, Franklin Morales, and Jason Marquis, our last 3 starters ,would each go at least 6 innings and give up a max of 2 runs.. but, id have been nuts to say that.. but damn glad were pitching well..  hope to have my a$$ in the stands for sundays game..

Tore Hamels a new one on Friday! It was a beautiful thing to be back at Coors for another season. If this team can take 2 of 3 from Philly, split the two with the Cubbies, and then play .500 on the road against LA and Arizona, it bodes very well. This is a very, very dangerous team-nobody has given them any respect at all, and they have crazy amounts of talent.
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

drivetimeporks

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on April 11, 2009, 05:55:49 pm
Tore Hamels a new one on Friday! It was a beautiful thing to be back at Coors for another season. If this team can take 2 of 3 from Philly, split the two with the Cubbies, and then play .500 on the road against LA and Arizona, it bodes very well. This is a very, very dangerous team-nobody has given them any respect at all, and they have crazy amounts of talent.
well.. the pitching staff is showing up.. and i have to say im suprised.. pleasantly i might add..
I hope to take in the game tomorrow...

drivetimeporks

game 5.. Rox v Phillies at coors..  top of the 6th phils up 5-4... a decent showing by de la rosa... and i have a tip.. DONT PITCH TO RYAN HOWARD... 3 run double by him earlier..  Atkins homered for the rockies.. and tulo as well i think..man tulo is on fire so far this year...  cool night here in denver.. not cold.. but high 40s id say...  pretty windy at least at my paisley crib... will check back in later

drivetimeporks

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 11, 2009, 08:56:45 pm
game 5.. Rox v Phillies at coors..  top of the 6th phils up 5-4... a decent showing by de la rosa... and i have a tip.. DONT PITCH TO RYAN HOWARD... 3 run double by him earlier..  Atkins homered for the rockies.. and tulo as well i think..man tulo is on fire so far this year...  cool night here in denver.. not cold.. but high 40s id say...  pretty windy at least at my paisley crib... will check back in later
whew .. man Hammel just worked out of a bases loaded jam...    hey CORZ.. its great seeing  Tulo and Helton come out  on fire (well the whole team actually)

drivetimeporks

SPAL

drivetimeporks

drivetimeporks

man this kid from the phillies is bringing it... mid to upper mid 90s.. trying to see who it is..Wilson? ? whos he... 

drivetimeporks

46 madson... sorry bout that..  WTH is Ian Stewart playing left now?  this isnt little league hurdle..and it just cost us a lead off double

drivetimeporks

Brad Lidge  (fyi from denver/ cherry creek high school) in to close for the  phillies....  8-4 phills bottom of  the  9th 

drivetimeporks

game set match  phills 8-4 rox go to 3-2.. but at least allana  is on now... 

SPAL

i wouldnt call myself the biggest rox fan but anytime they are playing the mets, phils, or fish...they are my favorite team.

CORZRBACKFAN

Quote from: drivetimeporks on April 11, 2009, 09:06:34 pm
whew .. man Hammel just worked out of a bases loaded jam...    hey CORZ.. its great seeing  Tulo and Helton come out  on fire (well the whole team actually)

Tulo absolutely crushed that home run on Saturday night, and Helton has already made some great plays at first. Good back and forth game until the fifth, then Philly took over. Let's hope the rain stays moderate enough to get this game in today, Clint plays Fowler and Ian today (speed and power-the dual threats), and let's go get 'er done and win this series against the World Champs. It feels so great to be back inside of 2001 Blake Street-Go Rockies!!!
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

drivetimeporks

game #6.. phills at rox.. phils win series 2-1 , rox go to 3-3...

just back from frozen coors field.. as bill valentine  woulda said, it never rains at Ray Winder Field..  well it rained with the occasional snow flurry thrown in today at coors.. about 43 degrees at game time.. light mist that  seemed colder as the game wore on.. and the wind picked up

rockies were all over chan ho park.. think he tossed about 90 pitches through 2 innings.. 5-1 rocks early.. cook pitched a nice game..and  again given the conditions, im amazed the rockies decided to start him..  anyway.. i suppose the rockies   thought they had'r whipped..and took their foot off the gas.. and the phils snuck away with a win...   just my observations on the phils: a) dont pitch to jimmy rollins...  b) see a if there is any question about pitching to jimmy rollins.. b) madson  , their 8th inning guy.. can freaking bring it... and c) brad lidges slider might be one of the most feared pitches in all of baseball, (given the rockies  batters  looking like  t ballers up there

not saying the phillies arent the better team, but this is one the rockies couldnve won, and might be  wishing they had at seasons end...

last note:  crowd of maybe (announced at 20,000) but id say maybe 10.. or less it was rough..  saw tracy ringolsby in person, shook his hand.. hes a big guy.. maybe 6'3 ish? maybe it was the hat but he was slipping around the rt field foul pole area where i was sitting..... surprised at the number of phillies fans there as well...

drivetimeporks

game #7 ..ROX at Chi Cubs  game delayed 40 minutes.. and temp is 29..

looks like they are gonna at least get it started... hope the rox can rebound.. hoping jimenez gets another good start under his belt...   dont know much about the cubs,, except  their leadoff man is a bad dude.. hope was can keep him reeled in for the 2 games.

Go Rox

drivetimeporks

game 7 rox v cubs at wrigley..

wasnt able to post during the game.. but  we got whooped... no hit  thru 7 i think... the bats just have gone dead.. since abou the 3rd  inning against the phils , and thru the 1 hitter  against the cubs... sheesh ..whats happened...

and again weve gone to  the feast or famine  pitching of Ubaldo Jimenez... looked great in his first outting, looked horrid yesterday walking 6 i think in 2 innings... and we made that cubs pitcher look like an all star.. dunno much about him... granted the playing conditions were attrocious.. but, i dont want to make excuses... the cubs beat us pretty good, and suprisingly soriano wasnt leading the butt kicking... hope we make a better showing tomorrow.. were a good team, we need to play like it.

oh and were 2.5 games out  in the west... we just gonna keep that in mind.. maybe we arent the  best team in MLB  but we can compete in the west.. and  then  who knows..  GO ROCKIES

drivetimeporks

game 8.. rox v cubs at wrigley

jason marquis gets his 2nd start... anxious to see how  he does.. had  a good start last time.. well see maybe the weather will bea lil better today

drivetimeporks

game 8 rox v cubs at wrigley

well... the rockies showed up today.. played some good ball, and i have to admit im totally shocked at  how good a game jason marquis pitched today.. guess maybe he got up for his former team.. but the guy pitched 6 or maybe 7 strong innings for the  rox, before huston "we got this for matt holliday" street took the hill and tried his best to  grab the L  before  Grilli hopped in and  saved the day...  just glad we showed up and played good ball against one of the considered "elites" in the NL... 

drivetimeporks

game 9 rox v la dodgers of anaheim.. just kidding la dodgers of chavez ravine...

personally i like  the Angels much better , but anyway..

George De La Rosa taking the hill for the rox today... and hoping he disproves my general thoughts that he sucks... rockies bats off to  a quick start and they take a 3-0 lead... homer by brad hawpe.. chris ianetta  is killing me.. dude has thrown out 3 runners attempting to steal 2nd base (in a row)..which is awesome but on the down side hes battting about .050...    yes hes our 2nd catcher but still..  hes off to a Rocky (pun intended) start...lets see how the game goes.. if DLR manages a quality start.. i might just bend over and kiss my own ass... Go Rox will report later

in other news on this fine 4/17/09... its snowed like hell today in the mile high city... maybe 6 or 7 inches at my crib..and its the wett/heavy/slushy kind... not the champagne powder .. but maybe the mountains are getting that.. anyway.. kinda weird experience for a guy from ar-kansas...

drivetimeporks

ugh.. thats gonna hurt... DLR just  made a freaking bush league screw up..tapper back to the mound which he promptly throws into  right field instead of ending the inning..whew.. lucky guy.. got a pop up to end the inning... sheesh was about to barf after that

drivetimeporks

ok CORZ.. question for you.. i sense  a trend.. is hurdle unable to take his starters out soon enough.. he waits till they go to darn ,  get hammered  in middle relief..and  then has to go to grilli.. ( not to jinx him but hes our ace in the bullpen atm)(by ace i mean the only chance we have to stop the hemmoraging)... we had a damn 3 run lead.. does he think de la rosa is gonna go 9? jesus...

drivetimeporks

F ing clint hurdle.. his bs charm has just worn off for me...   jesus.. another game HANDED  away.. 9 games we are 4-5 instead of 6-3... a damn monkey could do better..CORZ wher the fork are you i need a talk off the ledge!. arggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

drivetimeporks

hmm well , thank goodness i couldnt post this weekend ... needless to say was a horrible showing by the rockies both on the mound and in the batters box ( and in the dugout , mr hurdle).. so im starting a "countdown to Don Baylor era part 2" ill make today day 1.... Jimenez, although he had a decent first outing, has been attrocious..huge numbers of walks...  cant get anyone out.. please..wwhy isnt he in colorado springs in AAA?  hmm... alan embree? please.. good bye...    sheesh i want to say the dodgers got 18 hits sunday ... is this little league?

drivetimeporks

rockies v arizona... at  az

7-6 rox  bottom of 6th...  rox had a nice rally last inning.. just walking in from working in the coal mine so cant  say  what the details are...  and im kinda tired.. hope the rox can get back on the winning track.. im trying to console myself at this juncture in that presuambly we have lost  most of our games to some really decent teams.. 2 to philly..2 to chicago.. 3 to la.. ( the la trip was horrid).. guess 1 more to arizona, which looks worse and worse considering  they are off to just as bad of a start as we are.. on the plus side in was about 80 here today.. Go ROX.. 

drivetimeporks

well bottom of the 8th rox u0 9-6 i think.. todd helton finally going yard for the first time  this year (and to opposite field ..rare for the toddster).. go rox.. can we close a game out ?  i sure dont have any faith in the pitching staff!!!!

drivetimeporks

holy hell we won.!!. my condolensces to diamond back fans..  (just because the rox succcccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!)

drivetimeporks

havent been able to post in a while.. but at this point  the only teams with as equally bad record as the rockies are cleveland, oakland, and washington...  im disgusted.. .at least we have the nuggets