Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Booking flights question

Started by 1990sHogBallChild, November 24, 2019, 05:53:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1990sHogBallChild

November 24, 2019, 05:53:09 pm Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:33:34 pm by 1990sHogBallChild
I am contemplating booking a flight right now all the way out the first week of June to Portland, Maine from XNA ( I am trying to get all 50 states off the list and have not been to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine so I will get them then)

What I am asking is when I fly almost like clockwork book my flights between 45 and 75 days out from the trip so not last minute, but also not too crazy far out in the future just in case life circumstances make me cancel the trip or anything.

The question is how many of you have booked a flight more than 6 months out cause I worry about the flight time being changed/cancelled, etc. by the airline company that far out and I am such a control freak when it comes to planning things when I travel I'd hate for that to happen booking a flight so far out. I am probably just being paranoid, but have any of you booked a flight out that far cause if I do it now I am booking over 7 months if I do, but I am seeing a deal I don't want to pass up if I wait until March to book.

Boog41

I have booked flights that far out, and yes, sometimes the flight times get changed. Usually not anything too drastic.

On another note, Portland is a busy tourist town in the summer, so booking in advance isn't a bad idea. If you are wanting to see all three states, I'd book a multi city ticket. Maybe fly into Burlington VT and drive your way to Portland and fly home from there. I donthose type of tickets frequently and they aren't any more costly. I once flew into Manchester, NH and drive up to the fabulous Omni White Mtn Resort. Then drove to Portland and flew home after a few days.

1990sHogBallChild

Quote from: Boog41 on November 24, 2019, 06:49:07 pm
I have booked flights that far out, and yes, sometimes the flight times get changed. Usually not anything too drastic.

On another note, Portland is a busy tourist town in the summer, so booking in advance isn't a bad idea. If you are wanting to see all three states, I'd book a multi city ticket. Maybe fly into Burlington VT and drive your way to Portland and fly home from there. I donthose type of tickets frequently and they aren't any more costly. I once flew into Manchester, NH and drive up to the fabulous Omni White Mtn Resort. Then drove to Portland and flew home after a few days.

Thank you for your input.. I was thinking as well starting Memorial Day that Portland would get very busy through June and early July so as you said booking what seems a little excessively early may actually be a wise idea. The fact that I am seeing such cheap flights in combo that I can already book a rental car at quite a deal almost just makes the decision for me to just book now and at least lock in those rates. And if they change the flight time then so be it cause the money saved was worth it. Thank you again and I think I will go ahead and book in the coming days.

Boog41

What airline and connecting city are you looking at?

1990sHogBallChild

Quote from: Boog41 on November 24, 2019, 07:21:33 pm
What airline and connecting city are you looking at?

American Airlines to Charlotte on the way there which I have never used that airport

And American Airlines through Orlando on the way back..

Boog41

Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on November 24, 2019, 07:42:36 pm
American Airlines to Charlotte on the way there which I have never used that airport

And American Airlines through Orlando on the way back..

Let me know if you want suggestions on anything about Portland. Best hotel I've found in there is actually the Hilton Garden Inn down on the waterfront. Best location on any hotel and reasonably priced.

I've also been up to Bar Harbor and flew home from Bangor.

porque

I flew to Washington state in July.  Bought my tickets in late December.  Flights were changed multiple times.  Drove my wife crazy, she being the control freak.  Also, caused some timing issues with some things that we wanted to do.  On top of that, it really didn't save me much money.  Would not do it again.  I think I would stick with 75 days out. 

On another note, if you are flying into a smaller airport and are booking that far out, your flights are almost guaranteed to change.

vandybuff

May I offer this .... why not fly to Boston, Hartford CT, or Manchester NH.  More flights and more central to VT NH ME .... which are so close in this compact area of our wonderful country.  People oft speak of fall in New England, but all the seasons are majestic  (can you tell I like this area haha!)

have a great trip.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

kibster

I frequently book trips that far out.  I also am a control freak and have everything I am doing laid out on a spreadsheet.  I am currently up this late because reservations for a restaurant opens up for an upcoming trip at midnight and have to snag seats.

One good thing I have found about booking this far out is that when the flight times change (and they will change) you can usually get upgraded seats if you complain, or get your flight times changed (usually to a better flight time).  When we flew to the Pacific Northwest a few months ago, they moved my flight home up six hours, which wasn't going to work, so I complained and got on a better (more expensive) flight time and upgraded seats.

As far as Portland, ME is concerned, it is a great food town (I can send you a blog posting I did from my trip a few years ago if interested).  We actually flew into Boston and drove up with a little detour to hit those states you haven't hit.  Boston and Portland, ME are only a couple hours apart. 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut