Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mustain signs minor league deal with the Sox

Started by Semper Hogelis, February 10, 2012, 08:13:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Semper Hogelis

I checked the first 3 pages of MMQB and the baseball forum and didn't see this.  If it's already posted sorry.  I wish him well.  Reports to Spring training on March 8th.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-sign-former-star-qb-mustain-to-minor-league-deal-20120209,0,2409569.story
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

PetrinoPig

NorthshoreBoar

Congrats to Mitch. Hope he can turn things around.
A good man can live a lie for only so long before he becomes just a man. - Jason Whitlock

Semper Hogelis

Posted this in MMQB as well.  I didn't see it posted here yet.  Minor league contract.  reports to Spring training March 8th.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-sign-former-star-qb-mustain-to-minor-league-deal-20120209,0,2409569.story

Semper Hogelis

This is also on KNWA's site from the 8th so if this is old news move along, nothintg to see here :-)

jswineberiaskirk

AloRaptor

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: Semper Hogelis on February 10, 2012, 08:20:05 am
This is also on KNWA's site from the 8th so if this is old news move along, nothintg to see here :-)

Its new to me and thank you. :razorback: ::hornsdown::
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Sueie

I wonder how much money he got to sign?  Hasn't pitched since high school.  Throws 90mph?

I feel a lot better about my kids chances of getting drafted now.

bsking

Quote from: Sueie on February 10, 2012, 09:03:14 am
I wonder how much money he got to sign?  Hasn't pitched since high school.  Throws 90mph?

I can bet that he got relatively nothing to sign.  Minor league deal bonuses for non-veteran free agents are nothing.  He might buy his GF something nice for Valentines.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Haha, I like how folks feel obligated to state they've read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica before feeling comfortable in posting a news link.  Tough crowd around here.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ADAM_713

What! he isn't staying and playing for the Naturals?  Trader! :)  Good luck to Mitch, he got a raw deal back in the day.  Hope he does well with the Sox. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

HawgNthaWater

Pretty Cool to hit 90 on the gun for not playing in 8 years!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7561727/former-usc-trojans-qb-mitch-mustain-signs-chicago-white-sox

Former USC quarterback Mitch Mustain is giving baseball a shot, signing a minor league deal with the Chicago White Sox.

Mustain was one of the nation's top high school quarterbacks and played his freshman year at Arkansas in 2006 before transferring to USC. After going 8-0 as a freshman for the Razorbacks, he became stuck behind Mark Sanchez, and then Matt Barkley, on USC's depth chart.

Mustain, 23, hasn't pitched since high school and was prepared to report to the Georgia Force of the Arena Football League, but in a tryout with the White Sox, his fastball cracked 90 mph on the radar gun.

"I haven't played in eight years, which, my age, it's going to be a little bit harder to get back into this," Mustain said, according to 5News in Fayetteville, Ark. "As time goes I figured this would be my one shot at it, and why not? I'm going to take this shot. I'm going to give it everything I have and see where it goes. I just think it will be a little bit easier to go the other direction later on if that comes back, but I'm not going to look back on it."

Mustain told 5News that the White Sox believe they can work toward raising his velocity into the mid-90s with proper instruction. He said he will keep open the possibility of returning to football if his baseball career doesn't pan out, but he's going to give it an earnest shot.

"I'm confident that I'll get back in shape quickly for it," Mustain said, according to 5News. "They're going to give me the opportunity to face batters and get my feet wet no matter what happens to me. If I'm getting tagged right off the bat, I'll just keep plugging away."

Despite a disappointing football career at USC and an arrest last year for trying to sell medication he was taking to treat his attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Mustain remains confident he will succeed in sports.

"I'm going to play one sport or the other until somebody tells me to go home," he said, according to 5News, "until they're not even going to let me try. So I'm going to go do it and literally throw everything I have at it and see where it goes."
"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

hoggusamoungus

This was posted earlier and has either been trashed or deleted. 

NaturalStateReb

Prolly moved to Other Sports.  As a ChiSox fan, glad to hear he's getting another crack at sports.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Sueie

Quote from: bsking on February 10, 2012, 09:07:01 am
I can bet that he got relatively nothing to sign.  Minor league deal bonuses for non-veteran free agents are nothing.  He might buy his GF something nice for Valentines.

So would you say less than 50 thousand?  I do not know enough about it to try to guess a number.

bsking

Quote from: Sueie on February 10, 2012, 10:22:46 am
So would you say less than 50 thousand?  I do not know enough about it to try to guess a number.

Yeah.  A lot of guys get signed with hardly anything more than an incentive laden contract that gets them money if they actually do anything.

1st year minor leaguers make 1200 a month.  I'd be surprised if Mitch got more than 5-10k signing bonus.  It's not like he had any leverage.

DallasHogFan

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

Hawgfan27

I really do wish him nothing but the best. He's had his fair share of disappointments

SigHog87

TrojanRoyalty

Quote from: Hawgfan27 on February 10, 2012, 10:38:20 am
I really do wish him nothing but the best. He's had his fair share of disappointments

Same here! Wish him nothing but good fortunes. Go get 'em Mitch!

woodrow hog call

It's basically an invatation to try out during spring training, doesn't mean he will be in their system once camp breaks, but he could be.
Good for him I hope it works out, and by that I mean I hope he gets to knock around in the minors a few years and gets to compete again in front fans. Then at least he will have had his shot.

Some kids go the baseball route first then come back try football, probably not as many do it the other way around like MM, but good luck to him.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Dropkick

Good luck to MM, he has had enough bad breaks even if some of his choices were questionable.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Sueie on February 10, 2012, 09:03:14 am

That was my first impression when I heard the discussion about him giving baseball a chance.  Unless he's planning on converting to a lefty and can throw junk, I don't see where a 90mph fastball is going to get him in even the minor leagues.  More souvenirs for the fans? 

I'm not sure he wouldn't have been better off with the football thing he had lined up.  I wish him luck in whatever he does.  In my mind, he and Shabazz will go down as the most unexplained Arkansas athletes of all time. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

swinetologist1

Quote from: bsking on February 10, 2012, 10:29:48 am
Yeah.  A lot of guys get signed with hardly anything more than an incentive laden contract that gets them money if they actually do anything.

1st year minor leaguers make 1200 a month.  I'd be surprised if Mitch got more than 5-10k signing bonus.  It's not like he had any leverage.

I'd be surprised if there was any signing bonus.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

hogfanfromlr

Hopefully for him she's not his agent

BartIV

so Mitch Mustain "got that wood" (ash).

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: swinetologist1 on February 10, 2012, 01:58:24 pm
I'd be surprised if there was any signing bonus.

Exactly.  Those are used as enticements.  I don't think enticing a (what is he now...24?) year old who has been away from competitive baseball for more than 5 years is necessary. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HoopS

Never seen him pitch but 90mph is fine, if he's got command, movement, and other pitches.  Had a buddy who was a better pitcher working 90 than 93.  At 90, his ball still had movement, straightened out as he threw harder.  Jay Powell used to be like that too.

Tejano Jawg

A friend just sent me that article...I had to do a double-take. Wow.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoopS on February 10, 2012, 02:41:52 pm
Never seen him pitch but 90mph is fine, if he's got command, movement, and other pitches.  Had a buddy who was a better pitcher working 90 than 93.  At 90, his ball still had movement, straightened out as he threw harder.  Jay Powell used to be like that too.

Agreed.  If he can change speeds, and have a good curveball or slider he can paint corners with, then that's a little different story.  I know absolutely nothing about his history as a pitcher.  I wish him luck. 

Aston Martin 8 dude

I wasn't aware that MM is as good at baseball he apparently is. As it all turned out and looking back he might have had better luck if he had been drafted and played MLB.

3kgthog

You throw 90 for a scout after not playing in awhile and it'll get some attention. Maybe this is one of those fate situations. With real baseball training and coaching he might have something.

budcampbellfan

Good for him.  I'm happy for him.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Flying Razorback

I'm a lifelong, hardcore White Sox fan and think this is funny.  I doubt he ever does anything more than throw in some A training, but I wonder what the added value of these signings is?

I keep hoping that I'll bring up chicagotribune.com/sports and find some major breaking news that is going to vault the White Sox back out of the cellar.

These next 2 years are going to be rough...
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

DEVIL DOG HOG

The Chicago White Sox have signed Mitch Mustain to a minor league contract. 

Link: I Googled Chicago White Sox clicked on their home page.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Fayettechill14

DGB will be the next Mitch Mustain. He'll be able to look back at that one awful mistake he made, and how it ruined so much potential.

But props to Mustain for staying afloat. What a waste of talent.

Calling All Hogs

It would be cool if Mitch became a baseball star.

razorbackcpa

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 10, 2012, 08:48:24 pm
DGB will be the next Mitch Mustain.

I wouldn't go that far, but the parallel is noted.

hoggusamoungus

This topic was posted numerous times  Friday with one moved to Extra Innings.  Seems the mods deleted all the others.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=457035.0

Shag66

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 11, 2012, 06:54:04 am
This topic was posted numerous times  Friday with one moved to Extra Innings.  Seems the mods deleted all the others.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=457035.0

We have a Major League Baseball forum.

I believe that most of the threads were moved there since it is MLB.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=30.0

I don't think any were deleted anywhere.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Shagg66, I posted this in mmqb as it relates to a former Razorback football player. there is a tread about a Tennessee basketball player in MMQB.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Shag66

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on February 11, 2012, 02:11:40 pm
Shagg66, I posted this in mmqb as it relates to a former Razorback football player. there is a tread about a Tennessee basketball player in MMQB.

I didn't move your thread DD.

I was just explaining why the others were moved and that none of them had been deleted as far as I could tell.

They were moved to MLB instead of Extra Innings because it is not a Razorback Baseball story.  It is a MLB Baseball story.

The thread about a Tenner BB player should be moved to Jump ball or SEC sports too probably...

We are coming into the real offseason so the rules will be a little more lax I'd guess, but leading up to NSD we were really trying to keep the threads in the forums where they belonged.

No harm no foul...

PorcineSublime

I moved this one in here because we cannot have a discussion about the kid without people lining up on sides and lobbing grenades. Sad, but it happens every time. Sorry, it wasn't personal DD. I wish we could discuss that period without the vitriol. Maybe some day we can. We have welcomed Nolan back with open arms. Maybe some day we can talk about Mitch without it becoming a war. I wish the guy the best, even if he wants to play for the evil Sox (Twins fan). 
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

DEVIL DOG HOG

To all Mods; I don't mind if you move any tread that I post.  I don't always put treads in the right forum. 

Shag66: I apologize, I thought that you moved the tread.

GO GREEN!