Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something to think about regarding BB

Started by Lake City Hog, October 23, 2016, 09:27:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

Let me start this by saying that I am NOT one of those calling for BB to be fired, period!

Wilson- made this comment concerning BB's coaching philosophy in another thread---
"It's based on recruiting a certain type of player (as described elsewhere on MMQB by a Badger fan) and then developing that player over 3 to 5 years. That was his blueprint at Wisconsin, and it worked. It may not work as well in the SEC West."

While I agree with the idea, it appears to be an idea that BB has forgotten. (Was it even his formula?) It seems that we are playing Freshmen way too often and the kids that we redshirt are forgotten commodities. We don't seem to be redshirting enough of the "good" players and giving them that extra time to develop into better players. Would B Jackson be a better player if he had redshirted? How many others?
Maybe what BB is missing here is an AD to provide him the guidance to keep following the recipe that was successful.

Is it possible that ole Barry was a bigger part of BB's success than any of us thought? BB has made several decisions that I'm sure that if everyone on Hogville would admit are real head-scratchers.

Moving a true MLB to an OLB spot for 1/3 of the season which created havoc on the defense.
Awarding a starting job to a kid with virtually no positional experience over several well thought of players and then refusing to acknowledge that as a mistake.
Leaving an injured QB in a game to the detriment of the team as well as endangering the player.(twice)
We could mention MANY crazy in-game calls in his 1st two years.

Think about this for a few minutes--- Arkansas is Brett's 1st real Head Coaching job where he is actually on his own. Is he maybe floundering a bit more than even he expected because he doesn't have that guidance/meddling from Alvarez? Maybe Barry had more say in the day-to-day operation of the team than we ever knew? Maybe Barry helped him to stick with that "winning formula"? Maybe BB just needs a little more time and seasoning on his own to truly develop into a strong Head Coach???

Oklahawg

Good post.

I don't think CBB has forgotten the formula. I think the roster has never allowed for talent to be developed as they could in virtually any other conference, and how it worked at Wisconsin.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ShadowHawg

CBB's "formula" was/is a loser for the SEC. A lot of people predicted this when he was hired. Would win 7-9 games a year most likely.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 23, 2016, 10:16:54 pm
CBB's "formula" was/is a loser for the SEC. A lot of people predicted this when he was hired. Would win 7-9 games a year most likely.
'is a loser' and 'wins 7-9 games in the SEC West.'

those to phrases dont go together.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bubba's Bruisers

To compare UA today to WI when the Big10 sucked is not credible.  To completely different circumstances.  We lack in talent.  In SEC talent, not WI talent.  Such can only be developed so far.  Such has a ceiling.  A low one. 

And last night went well beyond lack of talent.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

WilsonHog

The problem with the "coach 'em up" philosophy is that it is predicated on our coaches being better at that particular skill than other coaches around the SEC West. Those other guys who have recruited the four and five star recruits to play for them aren't exactly spending their weekday afternoons playing Yahtzee and drinking Yoo Hoo.

Take Brooks Ellis. By all accounts, a fine young man and a good football player; however, no amount of "coaching him up" is going to make him able to cover an SEC back in space. It's not physically possible for him to do so.

Danny J

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2016, 10:23:42 pm
The problem with the "coach 'em up" philosophy is that it is predicated on our coaches being better at that particular skill than other coaches around the SEC West. Those other guys who have recruited the four and five star recruits to play for them aren't exactly spending their weekday afternoons playing Yahtzee and drinking Yoo Hoo.

Take Brooks Ellis. By all accounts, a fine young man and a good football player; however, no amount of "coaching him up" is going to make him able to cover an SEC back in space. It's not physically possible for him to do so.
Right on...

It gets old the "sign the leftovers" and coach them up as though all the other schools in the SEC aren't doing the same. Going to have to sign better players on defense... period.

bondhue

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2016, 10:19:45 pm
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
This is because modern science starts from the premise that everything that exists is matter in motion or an epiphenomenon of matter in motion.  If one is not a materialist one need not be shocked.  I think it will turn out that matter in motion is the epiphenomenon, and the riddle will be solved.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

gawntrail

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 23, 2016, 09:27:00 pm
Let me start this by saying that I am NOT one of those calling for BB to be fired, period!

Wilson- made this comment concerning BB's coaching philosophy in another thread---
"It's based on recruiting a certain type of player (as described elsewhere on MMQB by a Badger fan) and then developing that player over 3 to 5 years. That was his blueprint at Wisconsin, and it worked. It may not work as well in the SEC West."

While I agree with the idea, it appears to be an idea that BB has forgotten. (Was it even his formula?) It seems that we are playing Freshmen way too often and the kids that we redshirt are forgotten commodities. We don't seem to be redshirting enough of the "good" players and giving them that extra time to develop into better players. Would B Jackson be a better player if he had redshirted? How many others?
Maybe what BB is missing here is an AD to provide him the guidance to keep following the recipe that was successful.

Is it possible that ole Barry was a bigger part of BB's success than any of us thought? BB has made several decisions that I'm sure that if everyone on Hogville would admit are real head-scratchers.

Moving a true MLB to an OLB spot for 1/3 of the season which created havoc on the defense.
Awarding a starting job to a kid with virtually no positional experience over several well thought of players and then refusing to acknowledge that as a mistake.
Leaving an injured QB in a game to the detriment of the team as well as endangering the player.(twice)

Think about this for a few minutes--- Arkansas is Brett's 1st real Head Coaching job where he is actually on his own. Is he maybe floundering a bit more than even he expected because he doesn't have that guidance/meddling from Alvarez? Maybe Barry had more say in the day-to-day operation of the team than we ever knew? Maybe Barry helped him to stick with that "winning formula"? Maybe BB just needs a little more time and seasoning on his own to truly develop into a strong Head Coach???

Think about this for a few minutes---

$4MM a year and huge buyouts does not equal 'growing' in to the job.  That sort of money and commitment demands results. 

RESULTS!!  On the field results.... The money and commitment is not compensation for a finishing school headmaster....... it's to win mother f&@$*#¥ football games.  We aren't employing a $4MM a year best friend either.  For that kind of money and commitment the head hog should be a fire breathing ass kicking SOB that will not even entertain the thought of failing.  Dude should be right this minute down at the complex sucking on oxygen because he's broken every damn chair and door in the place.  He should be dragging the asses of the assistants out of their living rooms and punching them in the guts for how horribly unprepared our boys are.

But, I'm sure we're somehow better than that and we'll talk and figure things out.....

$4MM a year to give up over 500 yards rushing, nobody tackles, nobody hits anyone, nobody puts forth anything resembling a block or pass pro....  Only the Clintons have a better gig.

Bebop

Good post.

There are some who have been saying that this was BB's first real job. BB didn't build anything at Wisconsin. He maintained it.

Atlhogfan1

Barry built their [CENSORED] program.  Of course he was a big part.  It is why Bielema left to build his own.  And was always one of the questions about him.  Nothing enlightening or new here to ponder. 

We keep playing Fr because we have holes to fill.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bebop on October 23, 2016, 10:58:51 pm
Good post.

There are some who have been saying that this was BB's first real job. BB didn't build anything at Wisconsin. He maintained it.

Not entirely true about maintaining.  But the program was built up by Alvarez.  I'm guessing Bielema saw Arkansas as a similar opportunity for him as an Iowa-like program where he could be like his mentors Fry and Alvarez.  It was a bad career risk as he miscalculated several things. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

buldozer

Quote from: gawntrail on October 23, 2016, 10:41:21 pm

$4MM a year and huge buyouts does not equal 'growing' in to the job.  That sort of money and commitment demands results. 

RESULTS!!  On the field results.... The money and commitment is not compensation for a finishing school headmaster....... it's to win mother f&@$*#¥ football games.  We aren't employing a $4MM a year best friend either.  For that kind of money and commitment the head hog should be a fire breathing ass kicking SOB that will not even entertain the thought of failing.  Dude should be right this minute down at the complex sucking on oxygen because he's broken every damn chair and door in the place.  He should be dragging the asses of the assistants out of their living rooms and punching them in the guts for how horribly unprepared our boys are.

But, I'm sure we're somehow better than that and we'll talk and figure things out.....

$4MM a year to give up over 500 yards rushing, nobody tackles, nobody hits anyone, nobody puts forth anything resembling a block or pass pro....  Only the Clintons have a better gig.

Epic post.... and 100% on point

Atlhogfan1

We paid market value for a coach who had 4 10-12 win seasons and 3 top ten finishes at a power conference program.  The rest of your post isn't relevant.

buldozer

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2016, 11:07:42 pm
  I'm guessing Bielema saw Arkansas as a similar opportunity for him as an Iowa-like program where he could be like his mentors Fry and Alvarez.  It was a bad career risk as he miscalculated several things.

I heard CBB say once that he came here because he seen it as a place he could stay for a decade or longer and be like some of his mentors....... I am sure someone can post a link to that. But he was making the point he saw this job as a long term low pressure job where he could take a long range view of things

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: buldozer on October 23, 2016, 11:12:25 pm
I heard CBB say once that he came here because he seen it as a place he could stay for a decade or longer and be like some of his mentors....... I am sure someone can post a link to that. But he was making the point he saw this job as a long term low pressure job where he could take a long range view of things

He understood this isn't low pressure  That isn't one of his miscalculations.  Being given time is different than low pressure. 

BentonvilleJeff

Sometimes you just get the dog piss kicked out of you. Nobody saw it coming but it happened. Let's see if the staff and team plays this season out with a chip on their shoulder. 4 Conf games left and I want to see how they react to this.

Oklahawg

It is a tad bit naive to conclude that a coach is really worried about $$. They are simply feeding the ego and giving wifey playing money. What they really want is security to go do their thing and not to constantly look over their shoulders (go ask Mike Gundy at OSU about that).

Thus, you get contracts that match the others at the table during media days in Hoover and long-term guarantees so that you don't recruit against "not being the HC."

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

razorbackkid

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on October 23, 2016, 11:27:15 pm
Sometimes you just get the dog piss kicked out of you. Nobody saw it coming but it happened. Let's see if the staff and team plays this season out with a chip on their shoulder. 4 Conf games left and I want to see how they react to this.

Agree with this ... the team will either lie down and quit or come out with much determination.  The middle ground don't work in the SEC West.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Jek Tono Porkins

One weakness I think Bielema has is that he's an emotional person and sometimes it gets the best of him. As the prolific poet Radric Davis wrote, "I got the best intentions but I make rash decisions." Froholdt on the o-line is one of those decisions. You can tell that Bielema loves the hell out of that kid but you can't love a guy so much that you put him in a place that he doesn't succeed.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

upperdeck_hawg

How often did BB have to play 7 or 8 ranked teams on a yearly basis while he was at Wi? This isn't an excuse. It's a reality.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Oklahawg

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 24, 2016, 12:03:18 am
How often did BB have to play 7 or 8 ranked teams on a yearly basis while he was at Wi? This isn't an excuse. It's a reality.

And rarely saw SEC speed.

thefisher

RESULTS!!  On the field results.... The money and commitment is not compensation for a finishing school headmaster....... it's to win mother f&@$*#¥ football games. 

CBB clearly has it headed in the right direction.  Have you actually noticed the "results" in  wins progressions?

2013 - 3-9
2014 - 7-6
2015 - 8-5
2016 - currently 5-3 with a reasonably good chance to meet/surpass last years total wins.

In addition CBB is still currently on an 11-4 run with the first ever in school history back to back bowl wins.

Evidently you may not understand what the word "results" means.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

LZH

Quote from: thefisher on October 24, 2016, 04:04:24 am

CBB clearly has it headed in the right direction.  Have you actually noticed the "results" in  wins progressions?

2013 - 3-9
2014 - 7-6
2015 - 8-5
2016 - currently 5-3 with a reasonably good chance to meet/surpass last years total wins.

In addition CBB is still currently on an 11-4 run with the first ever in school history back to back bowl wins.

Have you seriously posted the same thing in three different threads?

EastArkHog 47

Texas Bowl and Liberty Bowl against unranked six win teams and thats where we will be this year at best the Texas or Independence Bowl, now thats progress.

wildhogman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 23, 2016, 10:16:54 pm
Isnt Wisky still running that formula?  Whats Whisky's record against the SEC? I know they beat th Hogs in a bowl and LSU to start this year.  Now you can make any excuse for the SEC teams you want but since so many realist deal only in facts, these are the facts. Wisky and "that formula" you just poo poo'd is 2-0 against the sec

gawntrail

Quote from: wildhogman on October 24, 2016, 06:47:18 am
Isnt Wisky still running that formula?  Whats Whisky's record against the SEC? I know they beat th Hogs in a bowl and LSU to start this year.  Now you can make any excuse for the SEC teams you want but since so many realist deal only in facts, these are the facts. Wisky and "that formula" you just poo poo'd is 2-0 against the sec

LSU fired their coach.  So, there is that....

And, it's not about showing OOC opponents anything, it's about competing in ours.  If we're not going to recruit and play at the level of Bama, et al.... then we don't need to be paying what we are.  ROI on this investment is what is in question.  We need to hire a solid up and comer and be happy with a low to mid tier bowl each year.  But, right now, we're paying upper tier $$ for what exactly?

sigpooie

We also have the highest or close to paid staff in the county. So 4mill plus is getting us 4th to 6th in the conference. What really hurts is that we, in 4 years of positive news and games have not been able to move the talent level of the team to sec standards.  If someone put a gun to your head and said pick a new one, who would you hire? Around here we all go to current head coaches that are doing good for a few years. It might be time to pick up a stick and beat the hell out of anyone not working overtime up there. I have been pissed off at the news that CB has given the players breaks because they have been working  so hard. Hell if they need a break they are not getting better by giving it. Bama looks like a prison camp this time of year, we should too. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Little Lady Back

Excellent post!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hoggish1

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 23, 2016, 10:13:50 pm
Good post.

I don't think CBB has forgotten the formula. I think the roster has never allowed for talent to be developed as they could in virtually any other conference, and how it worked at Wisconsin.

Agreed.

It could work in the BIG because there are only two to three legit top teams.  WI joined that group by the plan you outlined.

In the SEC there are too many strong teams to allow that kind of baking in the oven to come to fruition.

EastexHawg

This may be the most worn out and useless stat in history.  What were the combined records of the terrible Texas and Kansas State teams Bielema beat?

Broyles had teams that went 8-2 and 9-2...and were ranked in the top 10 almost all season...that didn't even play in bowl games.  Why was that?  Because in the past terrible to mediocre teams with 7-5 and 6-6 records weren't invited to bowls.  You couldn't pad your bowl record by playing one of them because they weren't in a bowl.

Then again, neither were you.

Take a look at the records of the Alabama and Ole Miss teams Broyles lost to in Sugar Bowls.  Holtz played #2 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, a top 10 UCLA in the Fiesta Bowl, and #1 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in back to back to back years.  Any of those Hog teams would have won ten straight bowls if they had played awful teams like the two Bielema has faced the last two years.

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2016, 10:19:45 pm
'is a loser' and 'wins 7-9 games in the SEC West.'

those to phrases dont go together.
Of course they don't...if you want to be average....some of us believe the program is capable of MUCH more...you, not so much apparently.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

TrueBlue

Bad probability is that we will suffer for another couple of years of this...which is too bad because there are a couple of really good coaches out there that will be available this year that we could snag.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 24, 2016, 08:07:12 am
Bad probability is that we will suffer for another couple of years of this...which is too bad because there are a couple of really good coaches out there that will be available this year that we could snag.

Chip Kelly?

Les?

010HogFan

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 23, 2016, 11:58:21 pm
One weakness I think Bielema has is that he's an emotional person and sometimes it gets the best of him. As the prolific poet Radric Davis wrote, "I got the best intentions but I make rash decisions." Froholdt on the o-line is one of those decisions. You can tell that Bielema loves the hell out of that kid but you can't love a guy so much that you put him in a place that he doesn't succeed.

Did you just quote Gucci Mane on Hogville? hahaha.

Redhogs

Quote from: sigpooie on October 24, 2016, 07:19:04 am
We also have the highest or close to paid staff in the county. So 4mill plus is getting us 4th to 6th in the conference. What really hurts is that we, in 4 years of positive news and games have not been able to move the talent level of the team to sec standards.  If someone put a gun to your head and said pick a new one, who would you hire? Around here we all go to current head coaches that are doing good for a few years. It might be time to pick up a stick and beat the hell out of anyone not working overtime up there. I have been pissed off at the news that CB has given the players breaks because they have been working  so hard. Hell if they need a break they are not getting better by giving it. Bama looks like a prison camp this time of year, we should too.
Thank you...and I'm tired of this "player's coach" crap...how exactly does it help the players getting their asses handed to them and looking lost on national tv and then getting constantly ridiculed and laughed at for the next week by the entire football world.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Oklahawg

Applying Occam's Razor today: the simplest explanation is the best.

1. We just played Bama and Ole Miss back-to-back, and were in our 8th straight game of the season. We were exhausted and had nothing in the tank to allow us to withstand the early gut-shot (simple run play for a big gashing TD).

If you want a variation:
2. We have been compromised by early defections (NFL, transfers) and injuries on a team that hasn't had a chance to build depth (a well-reasoned poster, FANONTHEHILL, mentioned seven years to build OL depth). That keeps you playing on the edge too often.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 08:08:17 am
Chip Kelly?

Les?

Uh no. BTW, we have a "Les" now.

There are plenty of others.

Heck, at this point, I would take Lane Kiffin. The dude has fire and he is an offensive genius. Baggage? Maybe. But if you look at it, the "good ones" always have a little baggage (or are a little "mental" from time to time.)

Boarcephus

I see us getting into another Houston Nutt recruiting situation.  We're beating out the likes of Vandy, Wake, UNLV, Ill, Iowa State, Colorado St, Army, Memphis Troy, Eastern Michigan for recruits.  You have to drop all the way down to our 12 commit for 2017 before you see us beating out and SECW team for players.  Goes along ways towards explaining 56-3. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Razorbackers

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 24, 2016, 08:17:23 am
Uh no. BTW, we have a "Les" now.

There are plenty of others.

Heck, at this point, I would take Lane Kiffin. The dude has fire and he is an offensive genius. Baggage? Maybe. But if you look at it, the "good ones" always have a little baggage (or are a little "mental" from time to time.)

LK is a good offensive coach although he gets stubborn sometimes.  How does he solve our recruiting problem and produce competent defenses? 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 24, 2016, 08:19:01 am
I see us getting into another Houston Nutt, Ford, Petrino recruiting situation.  We're beating out the likes of Vandy, Wake, UNLV, Ill, Iowa State, Colorado St, Army, Memphis Troy, Eastern Michigan for recruits.  You have to drop all the way down to our 12 commit for 2017 before you see us beating out and SECW team for players.  Goes along ways towards explaining 56-3.

Arkansas has always been an underdog.  We were able to recruit somewhat well in a few instances when Frank had us winning and had a great staff.  But we were still not on the level of Texas recruiting.  This was 40 years ago.  Now we are in a division with 4 programs who can recruit on that "Longhorn" level we once faced.  It isn't unique to one coach.  It isn't solvable for the most part.  We aren't going to win in February. 

Hoggish1

2013 - 3-9
2014 - 7-6
2015 - 8-5

This ^ is why I am a wait till the f$#&*@* season is over before we bring out the pitch folks, guy. 

What will all these hooded characters on horses, with torches on here do if the season ends 9-4 or 10-3?

DeltaBoy

We will be ok depending how we respond after the bye week.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thefisher

Quote from: gawntrail on October 24, 2016, 07:05:26 am
LSU fired their coach.  So, there is that....

Me thinks you missed the point entirely.

He was absolutely correct in his analysis.

Wisconsin is still running the same formula.  They recently beat two SEC teams pretty convincingly including from the SEC West.  If given enough time the formula is working well enough at Wisconsin to make it successful against SEC teams.  It's like Novacaine ... give it the right amount of time and it works.

Yes, Alvarez first got it going in Wisconsin. However, check Alvarez's record and see how long it took!  CBB is right on course to exactly follow his steps.

Alvarez was 11-22 after 3 seasons at Wisconsin by the way
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2016, 08:26:34 am

Arkansas has always been an underdog.  We were able to recruit somewhat well in a few instances when Frank had us winning and had a great staff.  But we were still not on the level of Texas recruiting.  This was 40 years ago.  Now we are in a division with 4 programs who can recruit on that "Longhorn" level we once faced.  It isn't unique to one coach.  It isn't solvable for the most part.  We aren't going to win in February. 

This is true but still, we're ranked behind schools like Maryland, Arizona, Washington, Penn State, Nebraska and Duke and that's a little tough to swallow when it comes to what this program has to sell when talk turns to facilities and SEC affiliation. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

razorsharptusk

In year 4, it's not working.  This is a direct reflection on the recruiting comment made above.  Where are the recruits? Where is the quality O line depth needed to run an offensive scheme like he is trying to run?  I like Brett, I think he is a stand up guy, cares about his players, and will always continue to do so. He is a great face for our program. He has become a media puppet.  I think the scheme he is trying to put in here worked at Wisconsin, but I'm not sure his style will win in the SEC.  Not consistently.  And in the SEC, you have to win consistently.  We do not have the luxury of dropping a couple games and still making it into the SEC Championship, much less the playoffs. Yes, we will win some games we shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't but that is the same outcome and expectation Arkansas has had going back for years and years. The same ole' same ole'.  I want something different. I think it is going to take something different for Arkansas to win the SEC and thus a championship.

Just as an example, Petrino's offense and scheme he brought to Arkansas gave Arkansas that element/edge it needed to compete at a higher level against the Alabama's of the conference. I felt like we had a chance to win in every game we played.  Now, not so much.  His biggest problem is he could not field a defense. If Petrino could have put together a solid defense, he would have had the total package. In my opinion, we are not going to be able to line up, CONSISTENTLY, every game and bull doze our way into a championship. We need a different edge than where everyone else in the SEC is. And to say the scheme at Wisconsin worked, what worked? All if got him at Wisconsin was several Rose Bowl appearances. I want more than that for our program and as a fan. The players needed to run this scheme, great O lineman, don't seem to be buying in.  If you are that good of a lineman, than obviously your options are open to go somewhere else within the SEC with a more proven track record and route to an NC.

Alabama has changed their identity for the most part, and they have the talent to do it.  LSU, Ole Miss,  as someone mentioned before, we are the last dinosaur.  There is a reason they are extinct.  If you are happy with what you are getting from a 4th year program with the "best defensive line I've ever had", then you got your man.  But I think it will take something different for Arkansas to run with the big dogs consistently.

Flame away if you must.  It's just an opinion.
GO HOGS!!

RedyorNot

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 24, 2016, 08:13:39 am
Applying Occam's Razor today: the simplest explanation is the best.

1. We just played Bama and Ole Miss back-to-back, and were in our 8th straight game of the season. We were exhausted and had nothing in the tank to allow us to withstand the early gut-shot (simple run play for a big gashing TD).

If you want a variation:
2. We have been compromised by early defections (NFL, transfers) and injuries on a team that hasn't had a chance to build depth (a well-reasoned poster, FANONTHEHILL, mentioned seven years to build OL depth). That keeps you playing on the edge too often.

I agree, this five game stretch was brutal albeit Alcorn State and they looked mentally exhausted as well. CBB has said several times we don't have enough SEC talent in key areas, and that lack of depth showed up in a big way. Hopefully they catch their breath this week, Austins arm gets rested up and they hit the second stretch hard finishing strong  like they have the past two seasons.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 24, 2016, 08:49:29 am
In year 4, it's not working.  This is a direct reflection on the recruiting comment made above.  Where are the recruits? Where is the quality O line depth needed to run an offensive scheme like he is trying to run?  I like Brett, I think he is a stand up guy, cares about his players, and will always continue to do so. He is a great face for our program. He has become a media puppet.  I think the scheme he is trying to put in here worked at Wisconsin, but I'm not sure his style will win in the SEC.  Not consistently.  And in the SEC, you have to win consistently.  We do not have the luxury of dropping a couple games and still making it into the SEC Championship, much less the playoffs. Yes, we will win some games we shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't but that is the same outcome and expectation Arkansas has had going back for years and years. The same ole' same ole'.  I want something different. I think it is going to take something different for Arkansas to win the SEC and thus a championship.

Just as an example, Petrino's offense and scheme he brought to Arkansas gave Arkansas that element/edge it needed to compete at a higher level against the Alabama's of the conference. I felt like we had a chance to win in every game we played.  Now, not so much.  His biggest problem is he could not field a defense. If Petrino could have put together a solid defense, he would have had the total package. In my opinion, we are not going to be able to line up, CONSISTENTLY, every game and bull doze our way into a championship. We need a different edge than where everyone else in the SEC is. And to say the scheme at Wisconsin worked, what worked? All if got him at Wisconsin was several Rose Bowl appearances. I want more than that for our program and as a fan. The players needed to run this scheme, great O lineman, don't seem to be buying in.  If you are that good of a lineman, than obviously your options are open to go somewhere else within the SEC with a more proven track record and route to an NC.

Alabama has changed their identity for the most part, and they have the talent to do it.  LSU, Ole Miss,  as someone mentioned before, we are the last dinosaur.  There is a reason they are extinct.  If you are happy with what you are getting from a 4th year program with the "best defensive line I've ever had", then you got your man.  But I think it will take something different for Arkansas to run with the big dogs consistently.

Flame away if you must.  It's just an opinion.

Season 4 is season 3 for Bielema's first full class at Arkansas.  IMO - it is too early to determine.  Unfortunately Sat night happened and the patience and good will he may have gotten to see this through was shot to hell.

Can we stop with the false dumb darn about Petrino?  He didn't compete very well with Bama except 2010 at home with some very good offensive talent.  Still got shutdown in the 2nd half and had no answer. 

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 24, 2016, 07:55:27 am
This may be the most worn out and useless stat in history.  What were the combined records of the terrible Texas and Kansas State teams Bielema beat?

Broyles had teams that went 8-2 and 9-2...and were ranked in the top 10 almost all season...that didn't even play in bowl games.  Why was that?  Because in the past terrible to mediocre teams with 7-5 and 6-6 records weren't invited to bowls.  You couldn't pad your bowl record by playing one of them because they weren't in a bowl.

Then again, neither were you.

Take a look at the records of the Alabama and Ole Miss teams Broyles lost to in Sugar Bowls.  Holtz played #2 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, a top 10 UCLA in the Fiesta Bowl, and #1 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in back to back to back years.  Any of those Hog teams would have won ten straight bowls if they had played awful teams like the two Bielema has faced the last two years.

Excellent post