Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Signing Day Event in the Rock from One Fan's Perspective

Started by The NewEra, February 11, 2018, 08:43:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

The following is a post from a fan on another message board on his observation of the evening.  It you are open to being excited about this staff then you will enjoy reading his comments.

I went to signing day at the Rock last night. I have never met a more personable group of coaches at any level at any time. These guys didn't just shake your hand. They would carry on a conversation with everyone that wanted you talk to them. It wasn't fake, it wasn't staged, it was sincere.

Dustin Fry could be your neighbor, dude wants to be here. He is just a normal dude, not a big shot, doesn't think he's better than anyone, just a great guy. We talked for quite a while and he wasn't scared to answer any questions at all. He's big time and he'll definitely recruit well here.

John Scott is another guy I talked to for a while, he was also super open and really really personable. After talking to him and understanding kind of what went on last year, everyone should be glad Morris kept him, he had plenty other opportunities but really loves being here.

Coach Tru is all smile, I'm sure he gets down to business but in a normal convo, he smiles and laughs and is just a really good guy.

Craddock and Stepp are like brothers, they seem to be best friends and are energy overload.

Coach Traylor is just a country boy that's doesn't care about fame, is all about family and I gaurantee you he signs some studs out of east Texas.

Coach Chavis is nothing like people perceive that guy. He's just a good dude, he's personable and talkative as well. He said on stage but he said it to me before the event started "Morris is the best coach and man I've been around in this business".

Lunney said everyone should be excited about what's going on "this change is GREAT".

Coach Coop a real genuine guy and you can tell why he's a great recruiter.

Caldwell is super excited about being back, he couldn't talk to you without having a huge smile. He might be older but he isn't lacking in energy!

Mark Smith he is a talker too, you can tell he spends a lot of time taking to different people, he is definitely a people person.

Morris is as genuine as anyone you'll ever meet. He made a point to say he'd be there until the last person left last night. He said he wouldn't leave until the last person walked out the door. He also said his daughter would be coming up in a year to go to graduate school and she'd work for the team and his son would be a Razorback as well. He also asked all former players to stand up, he said he sent a letter out to every single former player and them and their families were welcome there anytime, any practice anything they needed, they were welcome. I thought that was really cool.

I spent most of the time talking to Fry, Scott and Tru. They know they need everyone in the State to help them, they will be successful here. I'm sold!

Every single one of them are loyal as hell to Morris and you can tell it's a big family, the guys like each other. Fry told me that Morris interviewed at Ole Miss, Miss State and Tenn and could've taken any of those jobs. He said the whole time that was happening he was praying they'd end up at Arkansas. He said this school is so much like Clemson it's scary. He also said they were all in it for the long haul. I said to him "until Jimbo fails at A&M" he said "you don't ever have to worry about that happening, he's not going to A&M, ever, we are going to turn this into something special".

Im pumped up about this staff!

Guinness Snout

+1 to you Sir...excellent post!   I'm super stoked about this staff, signing class and upcoming season!   Woopig

Steef

liljo

Excellent post. Thank you for sharing. Got me all pumped up this morning!

WPS!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

PygmalionEffect2

That is encouraging knowing that if true, that is the kind of effort, energy, and teamwork it will take to turn this program around.

It's sinking in a bit now that CBB is gone and more information about him had gotten out, but evidently one of his major flaws was his relationship with his staff.

CBB pawned it off as not being able to pay them enough at Wisconsin, but after he had been here a few years, we all realized that the problem was you couldn't pay them enough to work for CBB.

Sounds like Morris could be a major upgrade in that area.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

bphi11ips

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. Some treat Hogville as if it were Twitter, but we're not limited by the number of characters here.  It's always a pleasure to read well written posts like the OP.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Redhogs

Quote from: The NewEra on February 11, 2018, 08:43:57 am
The following is a post from a fan on another message board on his observation of the evening.  It you are open to being excited about this staff then you will enjoy reading his comments.

I went to signing day at the Rock last night. I have never met a more personable group of coaches at any level at any time. These guys didn't just shake your hand. They would carry on a conversation with everyone that wanted you talk to them. It wasn't fake, it wasn't staged, it was sincere.

Dustin Fry could be your neighbor, dude wants to be here. He is just a normal dude, not a big shot, doesn't think he's better than anyone, just a great guy. We talked for quite a while and he wasn't scared to answer any questions at all. He's big time and he'll definitely recruit well here.

John Scott is another guy I talked to for a while, he was also super open and really really personable. After talking to him and understanding kind of what went on last year, everyone should be glad Morris kept him, he had plenty other opportunities but really loves being here.

Coach Tru is all smile, I'm sure he gets down to business but in a normal convo, he smiles and laughs and is just a really good guy.

Craddock and Stepp are like brothers, they seem to be best friends and are energy overload.

Coach Traylor is just a country boy that's doesn't care about fame, is all about family and I gaurantee you he signs some studs out of east Texas.

Coach Chavis is nothing like people perceive that guy. He's just a good dude, he's personable and talkative as well. He said on stage but he said it to me before the event started "Morris is the best coach and man I've been around in this business".

Lunney said everyone should be excited about what's going on "this change is GREAT".

Caldwell is super excited about being back, he couldn't talk to you without having a huge smile. He might be older but he isn't lacking in energy!

Mark Smith he is a talker too, you can tell he spends a lot of time taking to different people, he is definitely a people person.

Morris is as genuine as anyone you'll ever meet. He made a point to say he'd be there until the last person left last night. He said he wouldn't leave until the last person walked out the door. He also said his daughter would be coming up in a year to go to graduate school and she'd work for the team and his son would be a Razorback as well. He also asked all former players to stand up, he said he sent a letter out to every single former player and them and their families were welcome there anytime, any practice anything they needed, they were welcome. I thought that was really cool.

I spent most of the time talking to Fry, Scott and Tru. They know they need everyone in the State to help them, they will be successful here. I'm sold!

Every single one of them are loyal as hell to Morris and you can tell it's a big family, the guys like each other. Fry told me that Morris interviewed at Ole Miss, Miss State and Tenn and could've taken any of those jobs. He said the whole time that was happening he was praying they'd end up at Arkansas. He said this school is so much like Clemson it's scary. He also said they were all in it for the long haul. I said to him "until Jimbo fails at A&M" he said "you don't ever have to worry about that happening, he's not going to A&M, ever, we are going to turn this into something special".

Lots of info....answers many questions. Thanks for posting.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

GuvHog

This:

"He also said his daughter would be coming up in a year to go to graduate school and she'd work for the team and his son would be a Razorback as well."

And this:

"He also said they were all in it for the long haul. I said to him "until Jimbo fails at A&M" he said "you don't ever have to worry about that happening, he's not going to A&M, ever, we are going to turn this into something special".

REALLY got my attention!

I was wrong in a previous thread, Morris is SOLIDLY committed to the U of A.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The NewEra

Just to be clear folks, this was a post from a member on another message board that I wanted to share with Hogville.  I don't want to take credit for the great insight he provided in his summary of that evening at the event.  He had a lot more to say that was equally eye opening.  I could copy and post several of those blurbs if you're interested.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The NewEra on February 11, 2018, 09:48:21 am
Just to be clear folks, this was a post from a member on another message board that I wanted to share with Hogville.  I don't want to take credit for the great insight he provided in his summary of that evening at the event.  He had a lot more to say that was equally eye opening.  I could copy and post several of those blurbs if you're interested.

Was the event in Little Rock?

Would like to see more if you think it's interesting.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The NewEra

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 11, 2018, 10:24:01 am
Was the event in Little Rock?

Would like to see more if you think it's interesting.

Yes, this was the Little Rock event.  I'll add a few more of his quotes and try to make sure they have perspective to them, since he was answering some other posters.

Malvin

Keep in mind that I'm sure in BB's first 3 months he had the same effect, after 5 years of getting destroyed by our fans it would turn anybody into what BB became.  The key is you have to win.. winning and losing shapes who you are after a few years.  BB's ultimate problem was that he couldn't get it done (win) which creates a negative situation for all.

Also I'm not a BB fan, glad he is gone 100%.. just saying enjoy the new fresh air, but don't be fooled by it.  The results on the field is what matters.

hobhog

It was a fun night. You could tell Morris and staff, including Yurachek, emhaisized how important central Arkansas and the whole state is to the program. Morris is an emotional guy and hoping all Hog fans show out for Spring game.

The NewEra

Here are a few more quotes from the gentleman who attended the LR signing day event:

Replying to some who think Morris and staff will leave for another gig, or go to aTm.

"I told Fry, "when people included me looked at the record at SMU it was kind of scary, until you did some research and then you understand what y'all are really about". He said "if you knew what we took over, it was a small miracle what we were able to do there".

I'm telling you, if you get a chance to talk to these guys, jump on it. They are outstanding guys. It's not like you're taking to a football coach at the highest level, it's like talking to a buddy that you've known for 20 years."

"I laughed and told Fry I'd put a nasty msg on twitter if they ditched us for a bigger job. He said you'll learn how we are, I don't expect people to believe it b if the landscape of college football but this isn't a staff looking for the next job. Morris got passed over by the Aggies for Jimbo. Fry was absolutely sincere when he said Morris will never ever coach for the Aggies."

Someone said, yeah, but things change when you're successful and coaches change their minds.

"Don't disagree and I've thought that about everyone that's ever been here. When you get a chance to meet them and talk to them, do it. You'll understand where I'm coming from when you do."

"Mention going to A&M to Fry next time and see what kind of look you get. I promise it won't be fake either."

"There is no doubt about it. When I say Fry was adamant about it, just ask him. Listen to what he says."

"Just saying after what I was told, I doubt money could by Morris back."

"Fry said he has 2 young kids, they are buying a house. He said he'd love for his kids to grow up in Fayetteville, said they loved it."

About Lunney

"I said something to Lunney like "it's a whole new world" he gave me a thumbs up and said "it's great"."

Again, back to Morris staying or going.

"I absolutely think he's gonna be successful here. Like others have been and have stayed...I don't think that staff is using this as a stepping stone. I think most of them have young kids and truly want this to be special here and stay. Fry told me as much. Morris's daughter is coming up in a year to go to Grad school here and will work for the team and he already said his son will be a Hog.

When Fry said what he did, I believed him, at first I laughed it off and then he made it clear. Hopefully we have our Dabo."

"I'm absolutely serious, if you get a chance to talk to these guy do it. They don't look around like they don't want to be talking with you, they act like you're the only person in the room, like talking to your buddy you're there with."

That's pretty much it.

The NewEra

Quote from: hobhog on February 11, 2018, 11:02:00 am
It was a fun night. You could tell Morris and staff, including Yurachek, emhaisized how important central Arkansas and the whole state is to the program. Morris is an emotional guy and hoping all Hog fans show out for Spring game.

Seven of us from my family will be at the Spring Game.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Malvin on February 11, 2018, 10:53:12 am
Keep in mind that I'm sure in BB's first 3 months he had the same effect, after 5 years of getting destroyed by our fans it would turn anybody into what BB became.  The key is you have to win.. winning and losing shapes who you are after a few years.  BB's ultimate problem was that he couldn't get it done (win) which creates a negative situation for all.

Also I'm not a BB fan, glad he is gone 100%.. just saying enjoy the new fresh air, but don't be fooled by it.  The results on the field is what matters.

If CBB had won, he wouldn't have been destroyed by fans.  Petrino was winning over all but the hardcore doubters by the end of his 4th year.  If Morris gets anywhere close to, or exceeds, Petrino, there will be no stopping him and he will be loved here.

GuvHog

Quote from: The NewEra on February 11, 2018, 11:06:55 am
Seven of us from my family will be at the Spring Game.

I'm planning to be there too. It will be the first time I've gone since the Petrino era.

HogHomer

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 11, 2018, 11:09:28 am
Serious question here - I don't recall CBB hitting the ground running as CCM is. 
Is that recollection accurate?
Depends on what you think of Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland, Skipper. There were a couple more that year that surprised people. But yes Bret hit the ground running recruiting his first recruiting class here.

GuvHog

Quote from: HogHomer on February 11, 2018, 12:01:01 pm
Depends on what you think of Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland, Skipper. There were a couple more that year that surprised people. But yes Bret hit the ground running recruiting his first recruiting class here.

Yeah, CBB did bring in some pretty good offensive players that year but the Nucleus of the Defense the first 2 years was made up mostly of Petrino recruits. It's no coincidence that the defense started to tank once the Petrino recruits left the program after the 2014 season.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on February 11, 2018, 12:59:37 pm
Yeah, CBB did bring in some pretty good offensive players that year but the Nucleus of the Defense the first 2 years was made up mostly of Petrino recruits. It's no coincidence that the defense started to tank once the Petrino recruits left the program after the 2014 season.

Wasn't his best record in 2015?

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on February 11, 2018, 11:05:21 am
Here are a few more quotes from the gentleman who attended the LR signing day event:

Replying to some who think Morris and staff will leave for another gig, or go to aTm.

"I told Fry, "when people included me looked at the record at SMU it was kind of scary, until you did some research and then you understand what y'all are really about". He said "if you knew what we took over, it was a small miracle what we were able to do there".

I'm telling you, if you get a chance to talk to these guys, jump on it. They are outstanding guys. It's not like you're taking to a football coach at the highest level, it's like talking to a buddy that you've known for 20 years."

"I laughed and told Fry I'd put a nasty msg on twitter if they ditched us for a bigger job. He said you'll learn how we are, I don't expect people to believe it b if the landscape of college football but this isn't a staff looking for the next job. Morris got passed over by the Aggies for Jimbo. Fry was absolutely sincere when he said Morris will never ever coach for the Aggies."

Someone said, yeah, but things change when you're successful and coaches change their minds.

"Don't disagree and I've thought that about everyone that's ever been here. When you get a chance to meet them and talk to them, do it. You'll understand where I'm coming from when you do."

"Mention going to A&M to Fry next time and see what kind of look you get. I promise it won't be fake either."

"There is no doubt about it. When I say Fry was adamant about it, just ask him. Listen to what he says."

"Just saying after what I was told, I doubt money could by Morris back."

"Fry said he has 2 young kids, they are buying a house. He said he'd love for his kids to grow up in Fayetteville, said they loved it."

About Lunney

"I said something to Lunney like "it's a whole new world" he gave me a thumbs up and said "it's great"."

Again, back to Morris staying or going.

"I absolutely think he's gonna be successful here. Like others have been and have stayed...I don't think that staff is using this as a stepping stone. I think most of them have young kids and truly want this to be special here and stay. Fry told me as much. Morris's daughter is coming up in a year to go to Grad school here and will work for the team and he already said his son will be a Hog.

When Fry said what he did, I believed him, at first I laughed it off and then he made it clear. Hopefully we have our Dabo."

"I'm absolutely serious, if you get a chance to talk to these guy do it. They don't look around like they don't want to be talking with you, they act like you're the only person in the room, like talking to your buddy you're there with."

That's pretty much it.

Well, 79 is a big sunshine pumper, lol, but hopefully the coaches were sincere in their remarks.

CFB_Fanatic

Get ready for negs to come your way. Realistic thinking isn't well received here

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 11, 2018, 02:31:35 pm
Wasn't his best record in 2015?

Yep, but his 2014 defense was the best Hog defense he had at Arkansas.

BrianG

Remember he left one school and those players to come here.  He has no connection to Arkansas except the pay check.  Fans are invested.  Coaches are hired.  Never believe a coach is gonna stay forever.  A better gig comes along...see ya.  Anyone who believes otherwise is silly.

GuvHog

Quote from: BrianG on February 11, 2018, 04:54:14 pm
Remember he left one school and those players to come here.  He has no connection to Arkansas except the pay check.  Fans are invested.  Coaches are hired.  Never believe a coach is gonna stay forever.  A better gig comes along...see ya.  Anyone who believes otherwise is silly.

The fact that his daughter is leaving A&M after this semester and moving to Fayetteville to go to Graduate school is a pretty going sign he's solidly committed. She's going to help her dad with the team and her younger brother is going to be a Hog too.

Hawgboy64

I may be wrong but I think Chad Morris will be ≥ Bobby Petrino without the personal baggage.

"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

The NewEra

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on February 11, 2018, 05:20:42 pm
I may be wrong but I think Chad Morris will be ≥ Bobby Petrino without the personal baggage.

I agree with you.  I think the offense he brings will be dynamic and effective.  Besides not bringing the personal baggage I think he knows to surround himself with exceptional assistants and the defense will get as much attention as the offense.  It will be fun to watch this play out, but he certainly has some recruiters on this staff by all accounts.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The NewEra on February 11, 2018, 08:43:57 am

That paragraph made my year... I have hoped that this guy was in it like JFB was, and it appears to be so.!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You must be very untrustworthy.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Vantage 8 dude

Spoken as if you have a long personal experience with such. Per chance would others describe you then as a "gun for hire" ;)

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

oldhawg

Frank Broyles remained at Arkansas despite overtures and offers from his alma mater.

Lou Holtz left Arkansas because he was told to.

Ken Hatfield left Arkansas essentially because the fans ran him off.

Jack Crowe was fired.

Joe Kines was interim.

Danny Ford was fired.

Houston Nutt was paid off to leave.

Bobby Petrino engineered his own departure.

John L. Smith was interim,

Bret Bielema was fired.

Not one single coach since before 1958 has left Arkansas because they were offered a better gig.

redeye

Quote from: The NewEra on February 11, 2018, 09:48:21 am
Just to be clear folks, this was a post from a member on another message board that I wanted to share with Hogville.  I don't want to take credit for the great insight he provided in his summary of that evening at the event.

Yea, but you shared it here and I think everyone appreciates that, including me!

Some have compared Morris to Broyles and I could see that coming true.  He's smart, has a great personality and appears to be working hard at the job.  I've noticed a serious flaw, of some sort or another, with probably every coach we've had since Broyles, but so far one hasn't surfaced with Morris.  If he wins games, and truly wants to be here for the long haul, then I suspect fans will want him, too.

While it's nice to hear that they plan on sticking around, all the emphasis on this is a little creepy and reeks a little of desperation, so I hope we'll cut back on this question.

redeye

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 11, 2018, 10:08:20 pm
You do realize your last statement works on multiple levels...

On coaches leaving?  Are you suggesting they didn't have offers?

- Broyles was one of the top coaches in the nation and someone just mentioned that he turned down an offer to return to his alma mater.
- Holtz already had NFL experience before Arkansas and had no trouble getting an immediate job at Minnesota, before Notre Dame hired him after his 2nd year there.
- Hatfield left Arkansas for Clemson, although he didn't want to leave.
- Crowe may be true, but he was hired out of desperation.
- Ford already had a national championship, so I'm sure he had other offers.
- Nutt was offered by Nebraska and then Ole Miss scooped him up immediately.
- Petrino is now coaching Louisville, and would likely be coaching a better school, if not for his personality problems.
- Bielema was one of the hottest names in the country when we hired him and he'll eventually find another job.

Our head coaches haven't lacked opportunities.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 11, 2018, 09:26:35 am
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. Some treat Hogville as if it were Twitter, but we're not limited by the number of characters here.  It's always a pleasure to read well written posts like the OP.
I wish i could thank the author. i wonder what his handle is. Glad it was shared tho!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Flrazrback

Thanks NewEra, from what I have seen and heard the ENTIRE staff is exciting and geniune.. Truly good people. Glad to hear it from a man that has experienced it. VERY much excited !! WOO PIG

jvanhorn

This sounds absolutely fantastic!  It definitely gives me hope for the future.  Now if we could just find a way to bring Tim Horton back home, lol!

hawg1221

February 12, 2018, 03:00:22 pm #38 Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:15:39 pm by hawg1221
I would think that if a coach like Morris is as good and successful as some think, then why would anyone want to leave? I mean if he got this program to the pinnacle of college football (and I'm referring to the playoffs ever so often with a championship game thrown in there with a top 10 ranking nearly every year), I would think there would be no reason to go somewhere else that would be considered at best a lateral move,  except maybe for the school name. Success on the field breeds success on the recruiting trail and if Morris really was winning like mentioned above, his classes would be highly rated. I would like to use Clemson as an example. They were mediocre for a long time. When they started winning, they started recruiting. Now, they're doing both very well and is considered one of the big time programs nationally. If Morris builds this program like that, then what would be the motivation to leave?

AHiD

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 12, 2018, 03:00:22 pm
I would think that if a coach like Morris is as good and successful as some think, then why would anyone want to leave? I mean if he got this program to the pinnacle of college football (and I'm referring to the playoffs ever so often with a championship game thrown in there with a top 10 ranking nearly every year), I would think there would be no reason to go somewhere else that would be considered at best a lateral move,  except maybe for the namesake. Success on the field breeds success on the recruiting trail and if Morris really was winning like mentioned above, his classes would be highly rated. I would like to use Clemson as an example. They were mediocre for a long time. When they started winning, they started recruiting. Now, they're doing both very well and is considered one of the big time programs nationally. If Morris builds this program like that, then what would be the motivation to leave?

The same reason that Dabo might leave Clemson for Bama.
My name...is Jerruh

GuvHog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 03:03:46 pm

I really doubt that Dabo will be given the opportunity. Saban is held in such high esteem at Bama that it's likely he will name his successor and it will probably be someone from his staff much like what Bob Stoops did at Oklahoma.

hawg1221

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 03:03:46 pm

I meant school name, not namesake. But, yes the name and history of the school would be the only reason. I don't think too many coaches would make that move if they're already at a top tier winning school.

AHiD

Quote from: GuvHog on February 12, 2018, 03:15:26 pm
I really doubt that Dabo will be given the opportunity. Saban is held in such high esteem at Bama that it's likely he will name his successor and it will probably be someone from his staff much like what Bob Stoops did at Oklahoma.

Perhaps not, but do you think he'd turn it down if offered Saban's deal?
My name...is Jerruh

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PolishPigPower

Quote from: oldhawg on February 11, 2018, 09:30:33 pm

Frank Broyles remained at Arkansas despite overtures and offers from his alma mater.

Lou Holtz left Arkansas because he was told to.

Ken Hatfield left Arkansas essentially because the fans ran him off.

Jack Crowe was fired.

Joe Kines was interim.

Danny Ford was fired.

Houston Nutt was paid off to leave.

Bobby Petrino engineered his own departure.

John L. Smith was interim,

Bret Bielema was fired.

Not one single coach since before 1958 has left Arkansas because they were offered a better gig.

Lots of truth to this.  Part of it is because they wanted to win here, and part of it was because they were in over their heads.  But I think it comes back to Eddie Sutton, personally.  Different sport, but he put us on the basketball map. 

His "I'd have crawled to Kentucky" statement still resonates with a school whose conference roots were in a place that treated us like an ugly step-brother born out of wedlock.  Our most memorable football game is a loss to our most-hated rival.  We naturally have this chip on our shoulder.  It's who we are.  We can't help it.  If anyone has lived it, they'd understand it.  If they don't understand it, then they aren't one of us.  It's just who we are.  WPS!
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

OLEJACKETFAN

CM graduated from A&M. He is all about believing in someone. A&M never really gave him any consideration. Basically they didn't believe in him!! Im sure this bothered him real bad. I have talked to a couple folks with close ties, and they say the other Coaches should build their Dream house, Arkansas is where he is staying!!

liljo

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on February 12, 2018, 03:55:38 pm
CM graduated from A&M. He is all about believing in someone. A&M never really gave him any consideration. Basically they didn't believe in him!! Im sure this bothered him real bad. I have talked to a couple folks with close ties, and they say the other Coaches should build their Dream house, Arkansas is where he is staying!!

I tell you what I think would be really nice. That's if Coach Morris, everywhere he looked across this state and online, found TREMENDOUS support right out of the gate. Not a bunch of "prove it to me", but a bunch of "WHOOO PIG SOUIEEE, Coach we believe in you! Do your thing, man, we are behind you all the way!" Negativity won't change what happens anyway. But a state filled with POSITIVITY--if Coach DOES succeed here--could be the difference in keeping him here. Long term.

Better to be positive and wrong than negative and wrong.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

GuvHog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 12, 2018, 03:20:24 pm
Perhaps not, but do you think he’d turn it down if offered Saban’s deal?

That depends on how much he likes being at Clemson.

hawg1221

Quote from: liljo on February 12, 2018, 04:20:33 pm
I tell you what I think would be really nice. That's if Coach Morris, everywhere he looked across this state and online, found TREMENDOUS support right out of the gate. Not a bunch of "prove it to me", but a bunch of "WHOOO PIG SOUIEEE, Coach we believe in you! Do your thing, man, we are behind you all the way!" Negativity won't change what happens anyway. But a state filled with POSITIVITY--if Coach DOES succeed here--could be the difference in keeping him here. Long term.

Better to be positive and wrong than negative and wrong.

That's a very good comment. I like what you say.

HognitiveDissonance

Exactly my thoughts.
Anybody new gets people fired up and excited, overly so.
I was ready for a change, so that's not it. But people were geeked and saying the same exact things when Bielema was hired.

Us old-timer, acerbic types need some results coming in before we get excited, and then it will be justified. Check back with me after Year 3.