Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stan just answered the McCurdy question on the sports....

Started by Boarcephus, February 05, 2006, 05:29:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

One of the reporters asked him point blank about McCurdy's playing time, especially when he stated he was going to play him more.  Stan says he did play him, the reporter said yeah, a minute.  Stan came back with the "who do you take out, Modica, Brewer?" retort. The reporter said how about Jefferson or Ferguson and Stan came back with you need Ferguson and Jefferson in for their defense.   Stan had a rather defiant sneer to him during the interview.  IMHO, Sean is out of luck with this coach.   

One more thing, hats off to whoever that reporter was.  Good questions and he kept after Heath.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

El Dog Hog

Last time I checked we were up in the second half. Why would we need a PG to run the O? How bout someone to D up. Like them or not... and I really dont, but e furg can play some D and Dontell isnt to bad either. Isnt what we wanted? Stan showing some backbone... now that he is, he has has a "defiant sneer." I totally agree with Stan on this one.

lunchbox72703

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Thrilbilly

I heard him asked about McCurdy a couple of days ago and he responded that when they face a team that drops back in the zone and opens up the three that he would play him then. I thought some teams had not been defending us against the three. Go Figure!!

Kilgor

Do what you gotta do Stan.  We will have a real PG in Gary Ervin next year and McCurdy will hopefully be ready to spell him.

Dontell Jefferson is a 2 guard, not a 1.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

oldman

I don't think the reason Sean isn't playing has anything to do with the coach.  He hasn't played basketball in a year, now being a freshman, it would be baptism by fire to throw him into SEC play as a starter or with as much PT as Jefferson and Ferguson who have both played against SEC competition.  I think Heath is doing the right thing with him and getting him ready to be a big time contributor next year.

Boarcephus

How does one get ready to be a big contributor if they never see the court?   

silvertip

Sean will get his chance next year. It is a weak program that has to depend on freshmen.

berryhog

Quote from: oldman on February 05, 2006, 06:35:12 pm
I don't think the reason Sean isn't playing has anything to do with the coach.  He hasn't played basketball in a year, now being a freshman, it would be baptism by fire to throw him into SEC play as a starter or with as much PT as Jefferson and Ferguson who have both played against SEC competition.  I think Heath is doing the right thing with him and getting him ready to be a big time contributor next year.

If that's the case, then we should have redshirted him.  I don't think anything that Heath has done at this point has done anything to get McCurdy ready for next season, IMO.

twistitup

Looking to the future, this would be a wonderful time to introduce mccurdy to SEC basketball. i am confident he would have more of a postitive overall impact on the team/game than DJ- who is not a shooter and makes fooish mistakes at critical times. DJ is a senior, if he is not going to make better decisions and have more of an impact- LET THE FUTURE BE NOW- PUT IN MCCURDY.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ridgeback

The only problem with his experience and being thrown into the fire is that Stan didn't play him earlier in the year when they needed a good shooter in the game, not someone who will pass up wide open shots.  Being up by 18 is a good time let him have a shot at running the team, giving Jefferson time to rest and not be out of gas late in games.

HeathHateMe

Quote from: ridgeback on February 05, 2006, 06:49:43 pm
The only problem with his experience and being thrown into the fire is that Stan didn't play him earlier in the year when they needed a good shooter in the game, not someone who will pass up wide open shots.  Being up by 18 is a good time let him have a shot at running the team, giving Jefferson time to rest and not be out of gas late in games.

Exactly
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

dukefan

3kgthog

What has McCurdy done to deserve playing time in SEC games? The times Stan put him in the game he either took bad shots or had 2-3 turnovers very quickly. Show you can handle the position and you'll get the PT.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

February 05, 2006, 07:02:47 pm #16 Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 07:07:02 pm by notshavintilnuttgo
Quote from: dukefan on February 05, 2006, 06:58:11 pm
HE GUARDS NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a Duke fan, first and foremost.  Why the hell do you care?

Team D should help, he is valuable running the offense.

This is for Duke Fan
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 05, 2006, 05:29:46 pm
One of the reporters asked him point blank about McCurdy's playing time, especially when he stated he was going to play him more.  Stan says he did play him, the reporter said yeah, a minute.  Stan came back with the "who do you take out, Modica, Brewer?" retort. The reporter said how about Jefferson or Ferguson and Stan came back with you need Ferguson and Jefferson in for their defense.   Stan had a rather defiant sneer to him during the interview.  IMHO, Sean is out of luck with this coach.   

One more thing, hats off to whoever that reporter was.  Good questions and he kept after Heath.

Definitely, I agree, hats off to the reporter.  He's got a sack.

OKAY.  It is official.  Stan hates Sean.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Hognoxious

There's a good idea!

Let's put in a guy who threw the ball to the other team twice, let his man trot undefensed to the basket, and made one shot when he had significant minutes at Alabama. 

After all, this team has no trouble holding onto leads - 18 points ought to be a good time.  No risk there!

You guys are unfreakinbelievable!  Offense was going nowhere, DJ come in and we get a 20 point lead, and fans wonder why we're not playing McCurdy.

Bomis Hawg

I like McCurdy, and what he brings to the table.  He's not all the way there yet, but getting there.

I think he didn't play as well as he needed to against Kentucky.  Maybe that was on Heath's mind?  Still, you are dominating the game at home.  Let the kid get more than 60 seconds.  Oh, well.

Topcat

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 05, 2006, 06:58:38 pm
What has McCurdy done to deserve playing time in SEC games? The times Stan put him in the game he either took bad shots or had 2-3 turnovers very quickly. Show you can handle the position and you'll get the PT.
Yeah, you can really show what you've got and earn PT with one minute of play. If Heath plays Jefferson all these minutes this year, McCurdy will never see the floor next year when Irvin gets elligible.

berryhog

Quote from: Hognoxious on February 05, 2006, 07:06:26 pm
You guys are unfreakinbelievable!  Offense was going nowhere, DJ come in and we get a 20 point lead, and fans wonder why we're not playing McCurdy.

So Jefferson was the reason we had a 20 pt. lead ?  Right. :o

There's a good idea!

Let's put in a guy who threw the ball to the other team twice, let his man trot undefensed to the basket, and made one shot when he had significant minutes at Alabama. 

After all, this team has no trouble holding onto leads - 18 points ought to be a good time.  No risk there!

This is what I have observed of McCurdy this season at BWA and on TV, in the ridiculously small amount of PT he has gotten:

1)  He can shoot the 3

2)  He is the ONLY PG I have seen EVER drive the lane and then dish the ball off to a big man for a DUNK.  This should happen 5 or 6 times EVERY GAME.

3)  He QBs the team.  This is the most important aspect of being a PG.  He makes people move.  I have seen him YELL at BREWER to MOVE OVER.  As in, Hog Royalty BREWER!  If that's not confidence, I don't know what is.  On another occasion, Jefferson brought up the ball, Sean was at the 2 position and DJ had to ask Sean what the play was.  Sean immediately responded. 

4)  He is the QUICKEST player on the whole team WITH the ball.  Yet he plays smart and in control, unlike our Jefferson and Ferguson.

5)  The ENERGY of this team rises when he is in.  When DJ and/or Ferguson bring the ball up, they pick up their dribble and stop down the whole offense.  Sean makes everybody MOVE on offense and NEVER stops and picks up his dribble, unless he is shooting, passing or driving.

He NEEDS to get a fair chance.  None of us know how good he could be. 

WE DON'T HAVE ANYBODY BETTER ANYWAY. 

I used to give Heath the benefit of the doubt, now I think he either just doesn't like Sean or is just plain being stubborn.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Boarcephus

I honestly feel that had Sean gotten meaningful minutes this year from the getgo, we'd be in a position to have someone ready to run the show when Jefferson does his usual hang dog imitation.   No way can you get to that point when you're averaging less than 8 minutes a game.

Skip Foreplay

One more thing, hats off to whoever that reporter was.  Good questions and he kept after Heath.Sean is not all that.

Topcat

Does Jefferson have 20 total points in the conference season? If you want to see a good point guard, watch the Florida PG. Jefferson doesn't even have his feet set if a shot does present itself. If you put Hll and Jefferson in at the same time, you play 3 on 5 on the offensive end.

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: Topcat on February 05, 2006, 07:19:47 pm
Yeah, you can really show what you've got and earn PT with one minute of play. If Heath plays Jefferson all these minutes this year, McCurdy will never see the floor next year when Irvin gets elligible.
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 05, 2006, 07:24:51 pm
There's a good idea!

This is what I have observed of McCurdy this season at BWA and on TV, in the ridiculously small amount of PT he has gotten:

1)  He can shoot the 3

2)  He is the ONLY PG I have seen EVER drive the lane and then dish the ball off to a big man for a DUNK.  This should happen 5 or 6 times EVERY GAME.

3)  He QBs the team.  This is the most important aspect of being a PG.  He makes people move.  I have seen him YELL at BREWER to MOVE OVER.  As in, Hog Royalty BREWER!  If that's not confidence, I don't know what is.  On another occasion, Jefferson brought up the ball, Sean was at the 2 position and DJ had to ask Sean what the play was.  Sean immediately responded. 

4)  He is the QUICKEST player on the whole team WITH the ball.  Yet he plays smart and in control, unlike our Jefferson and Ferguson.

5)  The ENERGY of this team rises when he is in.  When DJ and/or Ferguson bring the ball up, they pick up their dribble and stop down the whole offense.  Sean makes everybody MOVE on offense and NEVER stops and picks up his dribble, unless he is shooting, passing or driving.

I used to give Heath the benefit of the doubt, now I think he either just doesn't like Sean or is just plain being stubborn.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Did you sleep thru the Alabama game? he killed us in a big hurry. Why is everyone so high on him?

Quote from: Pig in a Poke on February 05, 2006, 07:29:18 pm
Quote from: Topcat on February 05, 2006, 07:19:47 pm
There's a good idea!

1)  He can shoot the 3

Did you sleep thru the Alabama game? he killed us in a big hurry. Why is everyone so high on him?

berryhog

I posted this question on another thread :  Do you think Heath feels he made a mistake signing McCurdy and this is his way of trying to run him off (being jerked around about PT), or do you think that Heath honestly believes that McCurdy is not ready for significant minutes ? 

Pigina poke, DUDE.  WATCH MORE, post less.  That is ONE game, and very LIMITED TIME.  What if DJ was pulled out every time he KILLED us.  LIKE THE [CENSORED] FOUL ON THE 3-point shot.  WAKE the Hell UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND learn how to use the FREAKING Quote option on here.

Quote from: berryhog on February 05, 2006, 07:32:58 pm

I posted this question on another thread :  Do you think Heath feels he made a mistake signing McCurdy and this is his way of trying to run him off (being jerked around about PT), or do you think that Heath honestly believes that McCurdy is not ready for significant minutes ? 

I honestly think he is now afraid of being proven wrong, and is pulling the same paranoid CRAP we have seen from The Nutt.  Anyone with ANY sports IQ would know McCurdy should be playing at least 20 min. a game..

pigfoot

John Wooden once said, "If he doesn't play D, he doesn't play for me".  McCurdy doesn't play D very well.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Quote from: pigfoot on February 05, 2006, 07:36:05 pm
John Wooden once said, "If he doesn't play D, he doesn't play for me".  McCurdy doesn't play D very well.

And HOW THE HELL would we know this?????

berryhog

OK, fair enough.  Who the heck does Jefferson stop defensively ?

dukefan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 05, 2006, 07:02:47 pm

This is for Duke Fan
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
MY GOD YOU CAN LIKE MORE THAN ONE TEAM!  YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD ME BASH THE HOGS BECAUSE I LIKE THEM!  DUMB darn!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that foul on the 3-point shot was GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT D!!!!
Think WOODEN's old arse would have put up with that??

Quote from: dukefan on February 05, 2006, 07:37:47 pm

This is for Duke Fan
MY GOD YOU CAN LIKE MORE THAN ONE TEAM!  YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD ME BASH THE HOGS BECAUSE I LIKE THEM!  DUMB Shiite!!!!!!!!

Then answer this ONE question:  Who did you cheer for in '94???

Topcat

A lot of people like what they see in McCurdy in short stretches. He's like the backup quarterback when your offense isn't moving the ball. But we'll never get to see him play any significant minutes. Heath insists on playing Jefferson when it's obvious he'll never get any better. I don't know why Heath ever signed McCurdy in the first place. Find another team Sean, Irvin will be here next year. As far as the Alabama game is concerned, I saw DJ miss the front end of a critical 1 and 1, then the brilliant foul on the 3 point attempt. What a PG and leader!!!

(notOM)Rebel123

Again....Stan's reasoning makes no sense. Jefferson's "D" is suspect at best. He is contributing nothing in the scoring column. Now, Stan answers the question with a question..."who would you take out...Brewer or Modica?" What about Dontell?....even Brewer?  I agree with the caller, Steve from Jonesboro, on Drive Time Sports last week...Brewer is great until crunch time. But when the game is on the line, he goes undercover. Of course, Rick Shaeffer defended Ronnie "to the death". Nice win on Saturday against a mediocre team. Let's see what happens Wed. night. I'd put money on the "same old song and dance"....hopefully, I'm wrong. But I'll believe it when I see it.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

dukefan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 05, 2006, 07:39:13 pm

This is for Duke Fan
MY GOD YOU CAN LIKE MORE THAN ONE TEAM!  YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD ME BASH THE HOGS BECAUSE I LIKE THEM!  DUMB Shiite!!!!!!!!

Duke, but that does not mean that I do not like ARKANSAS!!

TennesseeRaz

There's a good idea!

1)  He can shoot the 3

Applaud for NotShavin!

And, twice recently Stan has said that McGowan and McCurdy need more minutes.  Is he wanting them to transfer so they can get those minutes?

TDHog

That is bull! McCurdy plays no worse defense that Modica, Townes, or any of the other Razorbacks who play hard about 60% of the time.  He hustles and plays good position D.  We have caused 3-4 35 second clock violations and guess who was in for all of them?  SM, this lack of D crap is being spewed by people who have not seen a game in person and can develope their vast basketball knowledge from 10-15 sec clips from the news.
FYI McCurdy didn't cost us that Alabama game, sure 2 turnovers, but 1 steel, and 80% chance he would have hit the front end of a crucial 1 and 1, and 100% chance he would not have fouled the 3-point shooter to tie the game.  The goat from Alabama is clear.

Quote from: dukefan on February 05, 2006, 09:16:28 pm

This is for Duke Fan

Oh, but that is EXACTLY what that means.  Please donate your season tickets to a real fan.

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 05, 2006, 09:28:16 pm
There's a good idea!

1)  He can shoot the 3

Applaud for NotShavin!

And, twice recently Stan has said that McGowan and McCurdy need more minutes.  Is he wanting them to transfer so they can get those minutes?

Lol, great post

hogfan38843

Quote from: dukefan on February 05, 2006, 09:16:28 pm

This is for Duke Fan

Don't know if I would answer that one.

hog caller

did Irvin take Miss St. to the dance?if not i wouldn't get to high on him.

Kilgor

Yes, both his freshman and sophomore year.  They went 2 deep in 2004 (losing to Xavier) and 2 deep in 2005 (losing to Duke).

Kilgor

hogtheball

Ervin was MSU's starter last year.  He averaged 7 points and 4 assists per game.  He shot 38% from the field and 22% from the 3 point line.  I bet if McCurdy was playing 30 minutes a game and had the same stats, some of you guys would be talking about the disappointing point guard play.   I hope you aren't getting too excited about Ervin.  I hope he's been practicing his shot.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

mikeirwin

hats off to whoever that reporter was.  Good questions and he kept after Heath.
The reporter was Scott Cain of the Dem-Gaz. The issue was not whether Heath should have played McCurdy more. The issue was that Heath said he WAS GOING to play him more earlier last week but ended up playing him less.
Scott is a good reporter. To those of you who complain here that the media is afraid to ask tough questions here's an example of how you are wrong. It took a lot more guts for Scott to go toe to toe with Heath sitting three feet in front of his face that it does to complain about him on a message board.