Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the crowd saturday...

Started by hawgjowls, February 06, 2006, 09:04:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgjowls

that was my first game to go to this year but having been to many in the past and this seemed to be the most un-motivated crowd i have ever seen. they had no enthuiasm at all about them.  so my ? to the board.  It almost seemed like the crowd was expecting to see them fail(which they did) when the lead got to 21 pts.

Is Stanball slowly killing razorback basketball for the fans?

My 2 cents on the mccurdy issue is that even though he is a defensive liability to a small degree the other intangibles that make up a good point guard he is by far the best choice of the 2.  dont know why stan is not playing him.

hogfan064

Might have alot to do with the opponent.  South Carolina isn't going to intrigue interest, especially when their top player only played 6 minutes due to injury

RAZORBART

I have been to most Fayetteville games this year and considering the way this team has played, been coached, whatever, the crowd has been way above what the team has earned IMO. Another problem to me is our spirit groups have old, tired routines that is not conducive to getting the crowd involved. When you consistently have 18k plus at every home game (league games) and they are not a factor, who else can you blame ?
The crowd shows up in force but what they need is a band that learns new routines, cheer LEADERS ( notice the name leaders) that get the crowd into the game and intimidates the opponent. The students even use the same old signs that they have used for years during the opponents introduction. The only thing new is the routines the pom-pom girls perform during 1/2 time.
Same old same old game in and game out. After a couple of games, you can start humming the next tune the band will play long before they start playing it. Been that way for years !!!!!

bornarazerback

Razorbart, I could not agree with you more. I rather listen to audio music threw he load speakers then are band like most of collage schools do.

hogfan064

Anyone see the Florida-UK game the other night.  The O'Connel Center has an awesome atmosphere.  Gameday there was awesome

hogfankb

I think people were expecting the normal meltdown. But it was pathetic in there. By far the worst SEC game of the year. Winning will bring life back to bud walton. Pep squad and all that don't really do much. Put a good product on the floor and the fans will follow.

jkstock04

Quote from: hawgjowls on February 06, 2006, 09:04:02 am
that was my first game to go to this year but having been to many in the past and this seemed to be the most un-motivated crowd i have ever seen. they had no enthuiasm at all about them.  so my ? to the board.  It almost seemed like the crowd was expecting to see them fail(which they did) when the lead got to 21 pts.

Is Stanball slowly killing razorback basketball for the fans?

My 2 cents on the mccurdy issue is that even though he is a defensive liability to a small degree the other intangibles that make up a good point guard he is by far the best choice of the 2.  dont know why stan is not playing him.

What did you expect??  This aint 1994...times have changed...and the way we used to beat teams like that by 50 points are a thing of the past.  But, I know what you mean..and yes Heath's style of ball is boring compared to Richardson's.  But, if we start winning the crowds will come back....but it'll probably never be as exciting as watching the "40 minutes of Hell" basketball.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

FLKeysGuy

I was there.  The fans got into when there was something to yell about (fastbreak slams, tight defense forcing turnovers, or when the ref's needed a little 'feedback' for their calls).  It's just tough to get excited when the team is executing its patented "let's give up most of our first half lead" maneuver in second half.  I think many fans (like me) were calculating the Algebra in their heads: 
With X number of minutes left and a Y point lead, at what X value does Y become zero or negative? ;) ;D

TuckFexas

I was there and didn't cheer all that much. When we got up by 20 in the first half, I turned to my dad and told him I think we'll win by at least 2. That's kinda how the entire crowd felt. The most the people in front of me stood up was for the national anthem. I got excited when we made some good plays, but it's hard to get excited when no one else is. You feel like you shouldn't be there. I do think playing USC had something to do with it. I don't know, it was real ho-hum the entire time.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

claycohog

I was at the game and sat 10 rows behind the SC bench.  My 11 month old slept the 1st 18 minutes of the 2nd half.  He was awakened by crowd noise when Modica decided he could possibly put up 40.

Hognob

This was the worst crowd of all the league games so far.  I expect it to be worse Saturday for Auburn, unless by some miracle we beat LSU Wednesday.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: RAZORBART on February 06, 2006, 09:46:13 am
I have been to most Fayetteville games this year and considering the way this team has played, been coached, whatever, the crowd has been way above what the team has earned IMO. Another problem to me is our spirit groups have old, tired routines that is not conducive to getting the crowd involved. When you consistently have 18k plus at every home game (league games) and they are not a factor, who else can you blame ?
The crowd shows up in force but what they need is a band that learns new routines, cheer LEADERS ( notice the name leaders) that get the crowd into the game and intimidates the opponent. The students even use the same old signs that they have used for years during the opponents introduction. The only thing new is the routines the pom-pom girls perform during 1/2 time.
Same old same old game in and game out. After a couple of games, you can start humming the next tune the band will play long before they start playing it. Been that way for years !!!!!

So you're going to blame the band for fans sitting on their asses during the games?  If you're going to blame anyone, at least blame the team.  In the end, that's what's gonna get people on their feet.  You can't have an electric atmosphere if your team is losing or if you know that even an 18 point lead isn't safe.  Yes the band and cheerleaders do a lot of the same stuff over the years, but that's where tradition comes from.  And I think tradition is one of the best qualities of college sports.  If you're sitting in the crowd and you want to intimidate the opponent, stand up and scream your balls off.  Don't sit and wait for the band to strike up the latest K-Fed tune, or whatever you're expecting them to play.  And if you're the team and you want your crowd to intimidate the opponent, don't blow every big lead you have against a quality team.

As for Mr. bornarazErback; if you're going to bash the band, at least consult one of these first:

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

hogmary

I know they won on Saturday, but why did I feel like they lost?  Boring, boring, boring.  The only excitement was when Ronnie got decked and a couple of great plays by Modica.  We are conditioned to expect a second half collapse.  I've learned not to get my hopes up anymore in basketball or football.
It was nice to see Heath get after one of his pets (Townes) and sit him on the bench for not performing.
Good for Scott Cain for asking about McCurdy.  If he is afraid to throw him into the SEC, why didn't he play him early in the season against the sisters of the poor?  I am also very tired of losing at home in both basketball and football.  We have no home advantage in either.  Embarrassing and disgusting.  I have yelled and screamed throughout basketball and football games for years, often, the only one in my section doing so.  No more.  It is not worth it.

Marshfieldhog

We need Jim Robken or his twin brother back, the band leader now is boring and brings nothing to the table.

HouTxRzbck

Geeze, I'm depressed now after reading that.  Buck up little campers!!!!!
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

The Master Of All

The Master notes that the pace of the game in the early stages was quite slow, only having 2 points in the first five minutes, but by the halfway point of the first half the team had put up 21.  During that stretch, the outcome of the game was no longer in question, and the excitement of the crowd dwindled.

There were times when crowd support was needed in the second half, as it appeared South Carolina was poised to make a run, but each attempt was stifled. 

Crowds have been large and vocal at times this season.  Also, any suggestion of replacing the band with piped in music is laughable.  Playing the top 40 will not encite any stronger crowd reaction than the University fight song.

The Master continues his theme of "if you want things changed, get out there and change them."  If you are living in Northwest Arkansas and want a stronger game atmosphere, show up to Bud Walton Arena, buy a ticket and yell till your voice is gone. 
Without me, you people would just be confused.

RazorbackRider

QuoteWe need Jim Robken or his twin brother back, the band leader now is boring and brings nothing to the table.

That guy was awesome.  He could get the crowd in Barnhill twice as loud as BWA.  Bring back the sound meter.

ttabler

Hell i was alseep and I was at the game if that says anything. The only time we might get to see the 40 mins of Hell is when it is used on us if we make the Big Dance although at this point I have my doubts on that.