Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Football's Easiest to Toughest Recruiting Job 1-65

Started by RazorPiggie, December 09, 2015, 10:02:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgmasta

Can't argue with that; especially since we usually do fall around 25 in most recruiting rankings. I like how ole miss is only one spot ahead of us despite being in a much more fertile recruiting area, oh yeah and lots of 100$ handshakes.

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HogFansReunited on December 09, 2015, 10:13:36 am
Good find.  I honestly thought we would be a little lower than 25th though, I would think around 30th.

I honestly thought we would have too. I guess they have just taken the class rankings over the last 5-10 years and came up with the rankings that way.

opineonswine

Quote from: HogFansReunited on December 09, 2015, 10:13:36 am
Good find.  I honestly thought we would be a little lower than 25th though, I would think around 30th.

9th in SEC....about what you would expect.  That should be recognized when evaluating the coaching job.

Oklahawg

Quote from: opineonswine on December 09, 2015, 10:54:14 am
9th in SEC....about what you would expect.  That should be recognized when evaluating the coaching job.

Frank was right? :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bigdaddyhawg

Florida should be #1 on the list.

Urban Meyer said one time he could have a top 5 class year in and year out and never go more than 2 hours from his campus.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

opineonswine

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 09, 2015, 11:02:38 am
Frank was right? :)

I started to say that.   ;D
Where I differ from what he said, is that a good coach can somewhat overcome the disadvantage. 

Hogarusa

I would think that since there are 8 SEC schools in front of us that our rankings should be much lower.  That makes it a real unique situation for the Hogs over all schools.  The state is certainly last in the SEC for players that come to the conference.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

HognitiveDissonance

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 09, 2015, 11:28:31 am
Frank was always right. 90% of the time, anyway.

Yep even as meddlesome as he was He made the Right move to the SEC!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Lots of BS to see there.  But as for No. 24, without $ they would never get the players they've been getting to Johnny Rebville...

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Spreading the insider love here...Merry Christmas...

9. Arkansas Razorbacks: 18 out of 25

Favorable geography/local recruiting territory: 2 -- Since 2013, there have been a total of 10 recruits from Arkansas in the ESPN 300.

Recruiting/football budget: 5 -- $615k according to the most recent data, which is for the most part equal with other SEC programs.

Facilities to attract recruits: 4 -- Arkansas has solid facilities that are on par with pretty much the rest of the SEC.

Next-level considerations: 5 -- The Razorbacks have had 21 players selected in the NFL draft since 2010.

Other intangibles: 3 -- Arkansas joined the SEC in 1990, and while the Razorbacks have played in the SEC championship game twice (2002, 2006) and have more or less been a fixture of bowl season, they have never won the conference title. A lack of a consistent, winning tradition can play a role on the recruiting trail.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Interesting mentions regarding players drafted to NFL from SEC since 2010:

Arkansas: 20
Alabama: 44
Auburn: 12
Florida: 27
Georgia: 33
Missouri: 16
Kentucky: 10
LSU: 39
Miss St: 18
Ole Miss: 8
S. Carolina: 22
Tennessee: 16
Texas A&M: 16
Vanderbilt: 9

Can't hardly believe how low Auburn and Ole Miss are. Ole Miss should have 4 more this year, but that's still pretty low. S. Carolina with a good showing as well.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on December 09, 2015, 12:03:54 pm

Can't hardly believe how low Auburn and Ole Miss are. Ole Miss should have 4 more this year, but that's still pretty low. S. Carolina with a good showing as well.

Need to show that to recruits when it comes down to us, Ole Miss, aTm, & Auburn.

hogcard1964

interesting

37. Wisconsin Badgers

The Badgers have a strong tradition to sell recruits and have seen 21 players drafted in the NFL since 2011, but they spend the least money in the Big Ten on recruiting, according to the most recent data, and that has been a problem for a couple of recent ex-coaches.

HotlantaHog

25th seems about right.

It is worth pointing out that these rankings are ever changing. So that if Arkansas were to establish a better winning tradition and send more players to the NFL, for example, its appeal to top recruits would increase. So while Arkansas ranks low for some reasons that won't change -- a small state with not a lot of elite kids every year -- lots of other things could change... It is not the case that Arkansas is destined to be around 25th in the recruiting rankings forever and that is unchangeable.

Of the playoff teams:
                6. Alabama
               10. Oklahoma
               13. Clemson
               23. Michigan State

So there is some obvious correlation with being a good place to recruit and winning, though it is a pretty loose link.

wildturkey8

I wonder if a couple of conference championships can change that perception?

DukeOfPork

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 09, 2015, 11:13:49 am
Florida should be #1 on the list.

Urban Meyer said one time he could have a top 5 class year in and year out and never go more than 2 hours from his campus.

I never realized the Florida State Penitentiary was so close to Gainesville.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on December 09, 2015, 12:03:54 pm

We had a couple of years of nuclear winter under the Dale, and then most of Freeze's teams have had large numbers of underclassmen.  I'm not shocked.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

WJBilly

Did anyone else notice this about Tennessee?
will spend the money it takes to bring in elite-level prospects.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WJBilly on December 09, 2015, 05:12:16 pm
Did anyone else notice this about Tennessee?
will spend the money it takes to bring in elite-level prospects.

Their recruiting budgets have been some of the highest for decades because they have to go out of state and region so much. 

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on December 09, 2015, 11:44:11 am
Spreading the insider love here...Merry Christmas...

9. Arkansas Razorbacks: 18 out of 25

Favorable geography/local recruiting territory: 2 -- Since 2013, there have been a total of 10 recruits from Arkansas in the ESPN 300.

Recruiting/football budget: 5 -- $615k according to the most recent data, which is for the most part equal with other SEC programs.

Facilities to attract recruits: 4 -- Arkansas has solid facilities that are on par with pretty much the rest of the SEC.

Next-level considerations: 5 -- The Razorbacks have had 21 players selected in the NFL draft since 2010.

Other intangibles: 3 -- Arkansas joined the SEC in 1990, and while the Razorbacks have played in the SEC championship game twice (2002, 2006) and have more or less been a fixture of bowl season, they have never won the conference title. A lack of a consistent, winning tradition can play a role on the recruiting trail.

3 trips to the SECG- 95
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WJBilly

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 09, 2015, 05:16:46 pm
Their recruiting budgets have been some of the highest for decades because they have to go out of state and region so much.       

I was thinking 100 dollar handshakes. ;)

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WJBilly on December 09, 2015, 05:23:29 pm

I was thinking 100 dollar handshakes. ;)
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 09, 2015, 05:16:46 pm

I know.  Tee Martin.

AU and OM are the ones we have to be concerned about right now.

Ok St should have gotten some bonus points for Gundy's negative recruiting. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 09, 2015, 01:44:46 pm
Of the playoff teams:
                6. Alabama
               10. Oklahoma
               13. Clemson
               23. Michigan State

Hey, if Michigan State can do it, so can we!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 09, 2015, 05:34:58 pm
Hey, if Michigan State can do it, so can we!

If Michigan State played our schedule, they would certainly be ranked higher than we are, but they would have at least a couple losses and wouldn't even get a whiff of the playoff.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 09, 2015, 01:44:46 pm
25th seems about right.

It is worth pointing out that these rankings are ever changing. So that if Arkansas were to establish a better winning tradition and send more players to the NFL, for example, its appeal to top recruits would increase. So while Arkansas ranks low for some reasons that won't change -- a small state with not a lot of elite kids every year -- lots of other things could change... It is not the case that Arkansas is destined to be around 25th in the recruiting rankings forever and that is unchangeable.

Of the playoff teams:
                6. Alabama
               10. Oklahoma
               13. Clemson
               23. Michigan State

So there is some obvious correlation with being a good place to recruit and winning, though it is a pretty loose link.

Bama - 3rd in SEC
OU - 2nd in Big 12
Clem - 2nd in ACC
Mich St - 4th in B1G

Atlhogfan1

To put our world in perspective:

The SEC:
1 - why I have long said most underachieving program in college football, Texas is up there too but VY at least got them one NC, Clem has been up there too

B1G

Big 12

Pac 12

ACC
14 ND

The SEC with more than twice the teams as the other power conferences in the top 25 of this ranking. 

Atlhogfan1

Can break this down a lot of ways but it all comes out that life in the SEC is much tougher in terms of recruiting competition and the elite programs have less of an advantage as they do in other conferences.

SEC has 12 of 14 teams in the top 40

B1G 7 of 14

Big 12   6 of 10

Pac 12   7 of 12

ACC  8 of 14 if you give them ND with UVa at 40th

50 and up

SEC has 2 programs

B1G has 5 programs

Big 12 has 2

Pac 12 has 3

ACC has 4

Ranked 40-49

SEC 0

B1G 2

Big 12 2

Pac 12 2

ACC 4

Ranked 26-39

SEC 3

B1G 3

Big 12 2

Pac 12 3

ACC  3

ChicoHog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 09, 2015, 05:41:20 pm
If Michigan State played our schedule, they would certainly be ranked higher than we are, but they would have at least a couple losses and wouldn't even get a whiff of the playoff.
I would disagree with you there.  The did not play Bama ( they will in a couple of weeks!) but beat Ohio st, Michigan, Iowa and Oregon all of whom I say are equal to any other team we played or at least very close.