Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does ESPN go by the AP or USA Today/Coaches Poll?

Started by popcornhog, January 26, 2015, 11:19:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

To determine which teams' highlights to show each day?

Or do they show both?

I don't recall them ever showing two teams with the same ranking in their run down, so I presume they go with one or the other.
WPS

Adam Stokes

I wanna say AP.  Also, whenever the polls come out and they link an article to it, they normally only discuss the AP.

popcornhog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 26, 2015, 11:25:39 pm
I wanna say AP.  Also, whenever the polls come out and they link an article to it, they normally only discuss the AP.

That was my guess too. It does seem like they reference the AP more often, I agree.

So maybe we don't get highlights on Sports Center this week.

Oh well. Let's just win Tuesday aight and go from there.
WPS

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Piggage

Quote from: Hogfaniam on January 27, 2015, 06:17:33 am
AP

Cause it starts with A

AP because, of the two polls, it's the one that's not utterly meaningless.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Piggage on January 27, 2015, 08:20:19 am
AP because, of the two polls, it's the one that's not utterly meaningless.

Think the ncaa doesn't pay attention to the GA coaches poll?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

b_stackhouse

I actually think they use whichever ranking is better for them. If a team is ranked in one poll and not the other, they will put the ranking next to their name when they play their game. If two ranked teams are playing each other, they will use the rankings that are higher so they can promote it as a "top 15 matchup" or whatever the case may be.

jesterzzn

It's called the USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll.

I'm pretty sure they use the poll on which they are a named sponsor.

Adam Stokes

If you check the scoreboard on ESPN, the rankings used there line up with the AP.  That's probably a good measure for what they use for other things as well.  Since we won't get a highlight being outside the Top 25, I guess we'll just have to have an OT thriller against UT tonight to make up for it.

popcornhog

Quote from: jesterzzn on January 27, 2015, 02:53:22 pm
It's called the USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll.

I'm pretty sure they use the poll on which they are a named sponsor.

Not sure about that. But I just looked at the bottom line on ESPN. We're showing as unranked, so it looks like they go by the AP poll.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 27, 2015, 05:26:42 pm
If you check the scoreboard on ESPN, the rankings used there line up with the AP.  That's probably a good measure for what they use for other things as well.  Since we won't get a highlight being outside the Top 25, I guess we'll just have to have an OT thriller against UT tonight to make up for it.

I'd prefer a 20 point win. Haha

But I'll take any variety of win.
WPS

jesterzzn

Quote from: popcornhog on January 27, 2015, 05:38:52 pm
Not sure about that. But I just looked at the bottom line on ESPN. We're showing as unranked, so it looks like they go by the AP poll.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/polls?poll=3

Thepigdoctor

They've used the AP poll as far back as I can remember for their game listings.

popcornhog

WPS

root_hawg

latrops

Quote from: popcornhog on January 26, 2015, 11:34:23 pm
That was my guess too. It does seem like they reference the AP more often, I agree.

So maybe we don't get highlights on Sports Center this week.

Oh well. Let's just win Tuesday aight and go from there.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is guaranteed that highlights are shown for every game involving a top 25 team, nor do they necessarily omit games that don't involve a ranked team.  There are probably a few factors that go into whether highlights are shown.  Certainly, being ranked would increase the likelihood, but probably doesn't guarantee anything. 

Depending on how interesting the other games are tonight, Arkansas vs Tennessee might get a mention on Sportscenter I would think.