Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Perhaps it is Just Me, but...

Started by WilsonHog, January 24, 2015, 09:03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

I understand complaining after a loss, but if we win and you're unhappy there isn't much to say for you.

hogsanity

They missed 7 ft's. Shot under 40% from the field. Only turned it over 3 times. Shot 7 more ft's than the home team. And still had to dodge two ft's at the end.

BUT THEY WON. That's the end result.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

It's good to know that we can not play our best and still win.  The Ole Miss loss at home kind of freaked everyone out, including me.  It was out of character and could still prove to be costly.  Had we not lost that game, everyone would be peachy I think. 

At Florida is a big game imo.  Assuming we handle tenner and SC at home.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2015, 09:07:00 pm
They missed 7 ft's. Shot under 40% from the field. Only turned it over 3 times. Shot 7 more ft's than the home team. And still had to dodge two ft's at the end.

They won the game. and are 15 and 4. that all i care about. this team is right on track to get to the Dance. they are going dancing this year.

grayhawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 24, 2015, 09:03:11 pm
I understand complaining after a loss, but if we win and you're unhappy there isn't much to say for you.

Great sig line Wilson, first time I took the time to read it.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 24, 2015, 09:03:11 pm

It's not unhappy in my case. It's watching what could be.  If that team ever decided to stay in front of their player on defense, and play defense with their feet, I think we could play with anyone.  I'm glad they won the game, and I'm glad we've squeaked out a couple of close games recently.   

If I had a complaint, it's the same one I've seen over and over.  We work hard, get a lead, and then let off the gas pedal.  They come down, pass it around the perimeter and throw up a three...or someone takes a wild out of control shot in the lane.  Just once...I would like to see us get a lead, and play smart and get it inside the lane and take solid shots or get fouled.  That's MUCH more demoralizing than firing up a three and missing, which gives the other team hope and keeps them from having to work hard on defense. 

We consistently get 6 and 8 pt leads, and then give them right back.  Until they fix that, we're going to play nail biters.  I guess that's fine if we win 'em all! 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Breems

Way to get it out of your system but still align with the OP. So clever I barely noticed.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

forrest city joe

Stop just stop.

chiefhawg

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 24, 2015, 09:19:37 pm
Stop just stop.

Stop pointing out they won a game ON THE ROAD even though they didn't play very well? That's what good teams do I thought.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

davril98

Even almighty Kentucky barely won a couple on the road.

The_Iceman

Sometimes i think our fans can be too locked into our team and lose perspective of what happens around college basketball.

CDBHawg

Quote from: HF#1 on January 24, 2015, 09:10:27 pm
It's good to know that we can not play our best and still win.  The Ole Miss loss at home kind of freaked everyone out, including me.  It was out of character and could still prove to be costly.  Had we not lost that game, everyone would be peachy I think. 

At Florida is a big game imo.  Assuming we handle tenner and SC at home.

Not really. Ole Miss has owned us at the Bud. Won 5 of last 6 there I think.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 24, 2015, 09:30:48 pm
Sometimes i think our fans can be too locked into our team and lose perspective of what happens around college basketball.
And Bama ties Auburn 50-50 at home. 51-50 Bama

Theolesnort

We have went stale and played bad for the last two weeks. We need to come out of our funk and start playing better. We will either get better or worse in the days ahead.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 24, 2015, 09:34:23 pm
And Bama ties Auburn 50-50 at home. 51-50 Bama

I think both Bama and the Hogs showed the affects of the quick turnaround from the OT game. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Otis

It is possible to be happy we won and still frustrated at certain things. The two are not mutually exclusive. While I'm happy we won, I still see things that WILL cost us wins in the future.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Otis on January 24, 2015, 09:44:29 pm
It is possible to be happy we won and still frustrated at certain things. The two are not mutually exclusive. While I'm happy we won, I still see things that WILL cost us wins in the future.
Stop seeing things. and start enjoying all these wins.

Hogfan1660

It was a ugly game but I will take the win any day!

cardsNhogs

Happy anytime hogs win but this team has not played well since the Georgia game IMO

alaback

Quote from: hogsanity on January 24, 2015, 09:22:45 pm
Stop pointing out they won a game ON THE ROAD even though they didn't play very well? That's what good teams do I thought.
So you're saying we're a good team?

Danny J

Quote from: chiefhawg on January 24, 2015, 09:22:19 pm
15-4 4-2 That is all.
And 3-3 in true road games....and 2-1 in SEC road games thus far. I heard Barry Booker on the SEC network talking about not being sold on Arkansas. I was thinking "why not?". He is sold on LSU and they lost AT mizzou. They don't have a SEC road win as good as ours against UGA. So what is the difference? The past is still haunting us as far as perception in true road games. It has to be. It can't be because of this year. Really need a win at Florida....that may shut them up.

forrest city joe

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 24, 2015, 09:38:20 pm
I think both Bama and the Hogs showed the affects of the quick turnaround from the OT game.
Bama looked AWFUL and Auburn was definitely the beneficiary of some calls and got into the heads of Tarrant and a couple other Bama players. I swear that Pearl's rants and raves on the sidelines during each game affords them the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls. That needs to stop. Stallings and Pearl need to be T'd up a few times.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Danny J on January 24, 2015, 10:14:03 pm
And 3-3 in true road games....and 2-1 in SEC road games thus far. I heard Barry Booker on the SEC network talking about not being sold on Arkansas. I was thinking "why not?". He is sold on LSU and they lost AT mizzou. They don't have a SEC road win as good as ours against UGA. So what is the difference? The past is still haunting us as far as perception in true road games. It has to be. It can't be because of this year. Really need a win at Florida....that may shut them up.
+1000. but i don't care what Booker or anyone else say, as long as we keep winning. GO HOGS.

Danny J

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 24, 2015, 09:56:35 pm
Happy anytime hogs win but this team has not played well since the Georgia game IMO
You are right for sure. We HAVE to put a full game together meaning we need to play a SEC game with good sound D and O. We played good D today but terrible O. The reverse can be said for the previous 3 games. Need to put it all together.

Kevin

Win or lose, it is the same things you can gripe about   This is how they wars going to play. You would be better off just accepting this fact because it is not going to change.

Very goodn48 hours for the hogs. They have stayed in position for the big dance
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 24, 2015, 10:17:14 pm
+1000. but i don't care what Booker or anyone else say, as long as we keep winning. GO HOGS.
I will take all the good pub and comments broadcast nationally we can get. Having a top 25 ranking(will come Monday somewhere around 23) and having the Thursday lead on Sportscenter to go along with 3 of the top 5 SC top 10 plays really helps promote our program. Qualls and Portis are becoming household names. That is HUGE in recruiting. We are getting more good pub this year than we have had since 1996. No joke.

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on January 24, 2015, 10:21:07 pm
Win or lose, it is the same things you can gripe about   This is how they wars going to play. You would be better off just accepting this fact because it is not going to change.

Very goodn48 hours for the hogs. They have stayed in position for the big dance
Really need a road win we weren't expected to win....Definitely not happening at UK. Need to win one at Auburn, Ole Miss or USCe. Also need to win at MSU. That team is looking marginally better as of late so who knows. Win out at home.....win two more road games and we are in the 8 seed territory.

Atlhogfan1

January 24, 2015, 10:27:25 pm #29 Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:53:27 am by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: Danny J on January 24, 2015, 10:14:03 pm

Yes 8-28 and 9-33 in road + neutral court games will do that.  The Hogs are showing good progress in terms of wins on the road but it is still going to take some time to get over the perception.

I agree on LSU and him being sold.  Not sure how someone would be sold on any team outside of UK right now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on January 24, 2015, 10:24:23 pm
Really need a road win we weren't expected to win....Definitely not happening at UK. Need to win one at Auburn, Ole Miss or USCe. Also need to win at MSU. That team is looking marginally better as of late so who knows. Win out at home.....win two more road games and we are in the 8 seed territory.

OM would be a good road win although they are losing at home this season. 

USCe will be interesting.  They combined for 48 FTA's today with UK in a game played to 58-43.  We don't do well playing into contact and we know USCe is going to be really physical at home. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: Danny J on January 24, 2015, 10:24:23 pm
We already have 2. at SMU and at UGA. we were underdogs in both games. and we went on the road and won them both.

alohawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 24, 2015, 09:13:56 pm
It's not unhappy in my case. It's watching what could be.  If that team ever decided to stay in front of their player on defense, and play defense with their feet, I think we could play with anyone.  I'm glad they won the game, and I'm glad we've squeaked out a couple of close games recently.   

If I had a complaint, it's the same one I've seen over and over.  We work hard, get a lead, and then let off the gas pedal.  They come down, pass it around the perimeter and throw up a three...or someone takes a wild out of control shot in the lane.  Just once...I would like to see us get a lead, and play smart and get it inside the lane and take solid shots or get fouled.  That's MUCH more demoralizing than firing up a three and missing, which gives the other team hope and keeps them from having to work hard on defense. 

We consistently get 6 and 8 pt leads, and then give them right back.  Until they fix that, we're going to play nail biters.  I guess that's fine if we win 'em all! 

There are other factors of course, like substitution patterns and their timing from CMA also, that lead to these unnecessarily close wins and losses. It's definitely a pattern that needs addressing.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

WilsonHog

I figure it pretty simply.

There is plenty of time to be unhappy, to find fault, after losses. If I do that after wins as well...I'm unhappy all the time.

Who is our Coach?

I think some measure of frustration lies in the fact that if we could just get a consistent "B" level performance from Portis, Qualls, Madden, and Harris night in and night out, playing in the second weekend of the tourney is not crazy to think about.  However, here we are heading into our 20th game and it hasn't happened yet and therefore probably won't.  This team may never put together a complete game against good competition to see how good we really could be.  That would be a shame.

Corkscrew Johnson

Who is they?  You mean we?

WarPig88

Did we win today? It's hard to tell after reading some of these posts.

Also, where did the notion this was going to be a dominant team come from? This team is good, but many on here act like that isn't good enough.

You don't just jump from sucking for over a decade to being dominant the first time you have a decent roster. Even Nolan's first decent roster only won 1 game in the NCAA tournament.

So why all the hate toward this team right now? Some of you need to gain some perspective.

Danny J

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 24, 2015, 10:32:08 pm
We already have 2. at SMU and at UGA. we were underdogs in both games. and we went on the road and won them both.
Correct....I am talking about in terms of getting to what I think would be around a 8 seen in the NCAAt and I believe that would be around 12-6 in conference play. Which means win out at home and win two more road games.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on January 24, 2015, 11:52:17 pm
I think some measure of frustration lies in the fact that if we could just get a consistent "B" level performance from Portis, Qualls, Madden, and Harris night in and night out, playing in the second weekend of the tourney is not crazy to think about.  However, here we are heading into our 20th game and it hasn't happened yet and therefore probably won't.  This team may never put together a complete game against good competition to see how good we really could be.  That would be a shame.

This reasoning that since we haven't played clean games means we won't get better is crazy. Last year we started 2-6 in conference and still almost made the tourney. This year we are 4-2 and are still struggling. To me that is a positive that we are winning tough games when we don't play our best rather than losing them. There is a ton of time left in the season and plenty of time left for this team to peak.
       This is the best start to a season in something like 18 years. If we came into the season expecting to be as dominate like Kentucky,  I would understand the disappointment. However, as it stands fans should be relatively happy with 15-4(4-2) and a good road record and hope that we continue to improve throughout the season.

Danny J

Quote from: GlassofSwine on January 25, 2015, 12:16:30 am
  This reasoning that since we haven't played clean games means we won't get better is crazy. Last year we started 2-6 in conference and still almost made the tourney. This year we are 4-2 and are still struggling. To me that is a positive that we are winning tough games when we don't play our best rather than losing them. There is a ton of time left in the season and plenty of time left for this team to peak.
       This is the best start to a season in something like 18 years. If we came into the season expecting to be as dominate like Kentucky,  I would understand the disappointment. However, as it stands fans should be relatively happy with 15-4(4-2) and a good road record and hope that we continue to improve throughout the season.
All very good points. It is all about getting hot at the right time. Continuing to improve, get a rhythm and establish some confidence. Look at UK and Uconn last year. Hell...l would be happy with what Tennessee did. Just get hot at the end and you never know.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on January 25, 2015, 12:16:30 am

Fans should be happy or at least relieved with the record at this point.  The improvement is debatable.  It appears that help at guard has been found in Beard which can be considered an improvement.  The defense still isn't good including the last 5+ today when a 6pt lead went to a deficit partly out of an inability to get stops or defend in one on one situations (Qualls and Portis). 

WarPig88

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 25, 2015, 12:22:49 am
Fans should be happy or at least relieved with the record at this point.  The improvement is debatable.  It appears that help at guard has been found in Beard which can be considered an improvement.  The defense still isn't good including the last 5+ today when a 6pt lead went to a deficit partly out of an inability to get stops or defend in one on one situations (Qualls and Portis).

We are 6-6 in our last 12 true road games. We are 12-36 under MA on the road.

You think our improvement on the road is debatable?

You are not nearly as "neutral" as you would like people to think. LOL

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WarPig88 on January 25, 2015, 12:33:14 am
We are 6-6 in our last 12 true road games. We are 12-36 under MA on the road.

You think our improvement on the road is debatable?

You are not nearly as "neutral" as you would like people to think. LOL

You are counting NLR as road games. 

I didn't refer to road games in the reply.  Just referring to the overall record. 

WarPig88

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 25, 2015, 12:35:55 am
You are counting NLR as road games. 

I didn't refer to road games in the reply.  Just referring to the overall record.

Not counting NLR as road games either.

We have always been good at home under MA. Winning on the road was the biggest area of improvement and it isn't even debatable that it has improved.

So, again, your assertion that improvement is debatable is laughable and sad at the same time.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WarPig88 on January 25, 2015, 12:40:13 am
Not counting NLR as road games either.

We have always been good at home under MA. Winning on the road was the biggest area of improvement and it isn't even debatable that it has improved.

So, again, your assertion that improvement is debatable is laughable and sad at the same time.

8-28 road record. 

4-8 "neutral" court when you include NLR.  1 neutral court win not counting NLR. (Minnesota in Hawaii last season)

I haven't mentioned road record and wasn't referring to it in the previous two posts to which you replied.  Keep trying.

Atlhogfan1

For you WarPig:

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 24, 2015, 10:27:25 pm
The Hogs are showing good progress in terms of wins on the road but it is still going to take some time to get over the perception.

Dirty

Watching the Auburn/Alabama game last night the announcers were saying Alabama only had one day to prepare.  Well, what about Arkansas?  Someone needs to tell Barry Booker!

HF#1

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 24, 2015, 09:34:08 pm
Not really. Ole Miss has owned us at the Bud. Won 5 of last 6 there I think.

But that doesn't change the expectation that we should win at home, period.  Especially given our reputation on the road.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

devildoghawg

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is W/L.  If I recall correctly, the #1 team in the country has been escaping losses all season. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

WilsonHog

Quote from: devildoghawg on January 25, 2015, 08:48:28 am
At the end of the day the only thing that matters is W/L.  If I recall correctly, the #1 team in the country has been escaping losses all season.

We've played 19 games.

I have been happy at the final buzzer 15 times.