Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark Times says Blame Mike Anderson

Started by DeltaBoy, January 23, 2015, 11:08:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/blame-mike-anderson/Content?oid=3630250

I don't purport to be clairvoyant at all. One look at my prognostications for the 2012 football season where John L. Smith was at the helm should validate that.

He goes on to draw a Mike = HDN analogy and lays out his concerns.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

poloprince

Dude is a true bum and his article is classless.  Either support the program or move around man.  I emailed him to tell him its a good thing that his opinion does not matter.

Where is Robert Shields when you need him?
$PoLoPrInCe$

Matt Burks

It's the Arkansas Times, the most liberal newspaper (if you can call it that) out there. They have a tendency to not lay out all the facts and use what facts they do want to use to support their agenda. Of course I'm talking about the entire paper, but that does include the sports.

Atlhogfan1

The writer isn't alone in having that Nutt era like feeling right now in regards to basketball. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Matt Burks on January 23, 2015, 11:28:31 am
It's the Arkansas Times, the most liberal newspaper (if you can call it that) out there. They have a tendency to not lay out all the facts and use what facts they do want to use to support their agenda. Of course I'm talking about the entire paper, but that does include the sports.

Those darn liberal sports writers.

Hogberry Snortcake

Not saying that I've completely thrown in the towel, but that Ol' Miss Game was close to the last straw.  I went from a CMA fan to ambivalent last weekend.  I would like for them to give me a reason to come back. 

Also, I LOL'd at "irrespective of cite" in the article.  Edit much?

arkirish

MA is a terrible coach, great recruiter but an awful X and O's guy. He continues to give minutes to guys that are struggling and let's guys who are carrying their weight he lets ride the pine. We started the season 2-0 with Portis/Kingsley both in the starting lineup...how does he react? He pulls Moses and drops his minutes. He continues to let Beard ride the pine while giving more minutes to an inconsistent Williams/Bell combo. Awful.

This team can't guard the 3, I have yet to see this team in 3 years no how to score against a zone defense. What the hell do they do in practice? Sure as hell not shooting free throws.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Upset after a 14-4 start. Man things have changed from the John Pelphrey days when 14 wins was a season's worth.

Hog1751

I dont get why people are so upset. We took the best shot Alabama had and found a way to win. That was a good game no matter who your a fan of. If you couldnt find enjoyment in watching that game then you need some anti depressants or something.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 23, 2015, 12:05:51 pm
Upset after a 14-4 start. Man things have changed from the John Pelphrey days when 14 wins was a season's worth.

Is it improper to ask why the heck lineups are changing when we go on the road and win? Similar to the post above yours?  This is where I sit right now.  I support the program and players.  I am honestly questioning what MA is doing right now.  We are seeing extreme inconsistent rotations, that are completely irrelevant to product on the floor. 

We don't mind watching madden struggle and let him play through it.  But moses plays above his par level from last year and he gets benched. 

When madden was passed the ball last night with seconds remaining in OT and I watched him dribble and stand up straight I said words not allowed on here.  He got bailed out by that awful, AWFUL, drive and chunk for portis to clean up on the back end.  How many times have we seen the final play be let madden have the ball and see what happens?  Didn't we see him actually benched earlier in the year in the same situation? 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hog1751 on January 23, 2015, 12:12:10 pm
I dont get why people are so upset. We took the best shot Alabama had and found a way to win. That was a good game no matter who your a fan of. If you couldnt find enjoyment in watching that game then you need some anti depressants or something.

best shot?  4 of their 5 starters were fouled out late in the game.  I don't believe that was their best shot, nor was it ours!

Atlhogfan1

Hog fans should be elated now because we can beat SMU and may make a bowl NCAAT. (just keeping with the Nutt parallels)  The Pel era was our program's low point.  Some seasons in the 90s were low points for our football program.  Hopefully those aren't standards used for either program going forward. 

Quote from: arkirish on January 23, 2015, 12:01:36 pm
MA is a terrible coach, great recruiter but an awful X and O's guy. He continues to give minutes to guys that are struggling and let's guys who are carrying their weight he lets ride the pine. We started the season 2-0 with Portis/Kingsley both in the starting lineup...how does he react? He pulls Moses and drops his minutes. He continues to let Beard ride the pine while giving more minutes to an inconsistent Williams/Bell combo. Awful.

This team can't guard the 3, I have yet to see this team in 3 years no how to score against a zone defense. What the hell do they do in practice? Sure as hell not shooting free throws.

JMO, but I would revise your view some as I don't believe he is terrible at anything nor close to a great recruiter.  He has never had that reputation. 

Kingsley got right at what he had been averaging in terms of minutes at 10.  He was effective last night especially keeping our offensive misses alive and getting rebounds. 

Beard played 27 minutes last night.  Williams is part of the issue against a zone although the team has shown to be better than our previous teams going back through Heath in attacking a zone.  Williams is good at flashing to the high post.  Problem is he is missing nearly every shot he takes from the soft spot and he isn't making the extra pass from that point to make the zone get out of position.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Maybe Nolan was right when he called some of the fans "turds and a**holes".

Adam Stokes

I'd say the main difference at this point is that Nutt walked into a good situation talent wise but Mike didn't.  So you can't really compare their first couple of years.  If from here on out we are only a Sweet 16 team every 3-4 years or Anderson ever sets things up that he needs a two year pass, then yes I would say there is some equivalence there.  One of Nutt's failings was that he often kept his assistants around too long, and we may be seeing that with MA.  Too soon to tell, but it is an interesting thought.

Fayettechill14

The Arkansas Times is the most worthless piece of garbage ever concocted in this state. It's an absolute embarrassment. Please don't ever link it here again.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 23, 2015, 12:24:41 pm
I'd say the main difference at this point is that Nutt walked into a good situation talent wise but Mike didn't.  So you can't really compare their first couple of years.  If from here on out we are only a Sweet 16 team every 3-4 years or Anderson ever sets things up that he needs a two year pass, then yes I would say there is some equivalence there.  One of Nutt's failings was that he often kept his assistants around too long, and we may be seeing that with MA.  Too soon to tell, but it is an interesting thought.

At this point I would say sweet 16 every 3-4 years is great considering the fact taht we havent made the sweet 16 since 96.

I bet some of the posters here werent even born the last time we made the sweet 16. Reid, Bradley, and Hood were freshmen. Thats how long its been.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2015, 12:14:27 pm
Is it improper to ask why the heck lineups are changing when we go on the road and win? Similar to the post above yours?  This is where I sit right now.  I support the program and players.  I am honestly questioning what MA is doing right now.  We are seeing extreme inconsistent rotations, that are completely irrelevant to product on the floor. 

We don't mind watching madden struggle and let him play through it.  But moses plays above his par level from last year and he gets benched. 

When madden was passed the ball last night with seconds remaining in OT and I watched him dribble and stand up straight I said words not allowed on here.  He got bailed out by that awful, AWFUL, drive and chunk for portis to clean up on the back end.  How many times have we seen the final play be let madden have the ball and see what happens?  Didn't we see him actually benched earlier in the year in the same situation?

When Madden crossed halfcourt, there was 7 seconds left.  Beard was the only other player on the court capable of creating something off the dribble and he was defended well beyond the 3 point line.  Qualls of course ran to the three point line.  Williams was just standing behind a Bama player allowing himself to be blocked out but this also kept the lane clear.  Portis ran to the corner and drew his defender.  I'm not sure what else  Madden should have done in the final few seconds but get something going to the rim which is what he did.  He is nearly auto at the line if he had drawn a foul.  He got the shot up giving Portis a chance.  I can't fault Madden for what he did given the time left and not sure what would have been a better option unless you wanted Beard to come get the ball which would have happened with only a few seconds left or Qualls to have put a desperation 3 as we know how handles the ball. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

I was 100% referring to the article. Where the writer specifically compared the 2.

The_Iceman

opineonswine

Quote from: Hog1751 on January 23, 2015, 12:12:10 pm

Because we played poorly, basically in all facets of the game.  We made poor decisions at critical times.  The reason people are upset is because of what it bodes for the near and more distant future.  IF we make it to the tournament it will be by the skin of our nose for a likely horrible seating and match-up.  This is a veteran team playing dumb...some of which is the fault of the coaches.  Putting the defense in position to stop (not encourage and promote) wide open threes, for example.

Yes, it was a win.  YAY.  But if we continue to play like that, it won't mean much in the grand scheme of 2015.

cityhog

Quote from: poloprince on January 23, 2015, 11:17:37 am
Dude is a true bum and his article is classless.  Either support the program or move around man.  I emailed him to tell him its a good thing that his opinion does not matter.

Where is Robert Shields when you need him?

If blind loyalty were required to be a fan we'd still be saddled with HDN.  There's some uncomfortable truths in that article.

hogsanity

Madden has done this 4 times, at least, in the last season and a half. If the Hogs are down 1 or tied, under 20 seconds, and he gets the ball, he IS NOT GIVING IT UP, he is going to be the hero. He got bailed out on a great play by Qualls last year against KY, and on an eerily similar, yet not quite as fantastic play last night by Portis. It did not work out against Mizzu or at the end of regulation against Ky. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 23, 2015, 01:07:11 pm
Madden has done this 4 times, at least, in the last season and a half. If the Hogs are down 1 or tied, under 20 seconds, and he gets the ball, he IS NOT GIVING IT UP, he is going to be the hero. He got bailed out on a great play by Qualls last year against KY, and on an eerily similar, yet not quite as fantastic play last night by Portis. It did not work out against Mizzu or at the end of regulation against Ky.

It was the right decision last night given time left, personnel we had on the court, how Bama defended and how we spaced.  Bama did not leave their man once Madden crossed halfcourt.  Portis' defender got caught ball watching and it ended up with a game winner. 

I mentioned after the last two games that it was feeling like October in the Nutt era and last night felt like that UK OT win in Nov '03 that ended the losing streak.  Up, down, up...  Similar inconsistent "rollercoaster". 

Trystran

+1

Watching Madden try to be the hero over and over is one of the most irritating things ever. Yes... he "attacked the basket" into 3 defenders with 2 teammates standing behind him on the wing that could have had an open look if drive and kick was actually implemented EVER. It's also an excellent way to get open looks when the defense is in a zone... but that's just blasphemy.

ballz2thewall

well written article.

the basketball team is anemic much of the time.  last night in my flu-influenced mood i made the same observation as wilcox.  we seem to get it together, then completely digress as though it were the first game of the season.

and this board reflects that very notion.  after every game our posters are pointing out "signs" of things that "may" work or "might" be good.  these comments are valid, but wouldn't proliferate if this team had identity and a touch of consistency.

qualls has been the constant this year.  his production curve has been less drastic than others top producers.  he's had down moments, but nonetheless he's been absent less than others.

we have no swagger. none.  only a few times this year have we gone through a game "knowing" we were the badass. 

last night against bama was awful.  lack of intensity, cohesion, and overall ineffectiveness allowed bama to stay in a game that we should have had safely dispatched in the early second half.

this is the reality of this team.
The rest of the frog.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 23, 2015, 12:29:14 pm
When Madden crossed halfcourt, there was 7 seconds left.  Beard was the only other player on the court capable of creating something off the dribble and he was defended well beyond the 3 point line.  Qualls of course ran to the three point line.  Williams was just standing behind a Bama player allowing himself to be blocked out but this also kept the lane clear.  Portis ran to the corner and drew his defender.  I'm not sure what else  Madden should have done in the final few seconds but get something going to the rim which is what he did.  He is nearly auto at the line if he had drawn a foul.  He got the shot up giving Portis a chance.  I can't fault Madden for what he did given the time left and not sure what would have been a better option unless you wanted Beard to come get the ball which would have happened with only a few seconds left or Qualls to have put a desperation 3 as we know how handles the ball.

Let's just say your right, which i disagree with, hell everybody else on the court knew they wern't going to touch the ball!

Hog1751

Quote from: opineonswine on January 23, 2015, 01:06:09 pm
Because we played poorly, basically in all facets of the game.  We made poor decisions at critical times.  The reason people are upset is because of what it bodes for the near and more distant future.  IF we make it to the tournament it will be by the skin of our nose for a likely horrible seating and match-up.  This is a veteran team playing dumb...some of which is the fault of the coaches.  Putting the defense in position to stop (not encourage and promote) wide open threes, for example.

Yes, it was a win.  YAY.  But if we continue to play like that, it won't mean much in the grand scheme of 2015.

So you know for a fact that were going to sneak into the tournament eh? The narrative on Hogville is amazing if we lose it's because Mike sucks and he's never gonna get it done, if we win it's because the other team sucks. After all I guess Arkansas hasn't beaten a good team since Nolan Richardson was the coach right? ARKANSAS is 14-4 3-2, Do we have some problems, absolutely but who in college basketball doesn't. How many teams would like to be 14-4 3-2 right now? These are 18-22 year old kids playing a game. They make mistakes, but newsflash we all made mistakes when we were 18-22 years old. I sure am glad the kids that play for us don't think as badly about themselves as a lot of our fans do. Here's the narrative for all you whiny babies out there, here's how it goes. Woo Pig Soooie and beat Missouri, win or lose the narrative the next day is Woo Pig Soooie beat Tennessee. It's simple folks IT'S A GAME, were never gonna be perfect, but at the end of the year if we have won 75% of our games there aint nothing to be upset about. I could understand all the angst if we were 9-9 and 1-4 in the SEC but we continue to win more then we lose. This is the best offensive team at Arkansas in a long time. Get on the bandwagon oR get run the hell over. Mike will be the coach at Arkansas next year and for many years to come. I hope when Arkansas get's back to the Final Four that it's a bitter taste for all you babies. We find progress in a football team that's 7-6 2-6 in the SEC but we can't find good news in our 14-4 basketball team. INFRIGGINSANE

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 23, 2015, 01:11:56 pm
It was the right decision last night given time left, personnel we had on the court, how Bama defended and how we spaced.  Bama did not leave their man once Madden crossed halfcourt.  Portis' defender got caught ball watching and it ended up with a game winner. 

I mentioned after the last two games that it was feeling like October in the Nutt era and last night felt like that UK OT win in Nov '03 that ended the losing streak.  Up, down, up...  Similar inconsistent "rollercoaster". 

Really? I could swear in the dvr version I watched about 10 times, Madden had 3 bama defenders around him, so i don't know how you say they never left their man after he crossed half court.  It was just like the end of the Ky game last year when he dribbled off 12 seconds on the right wing before launching an off balance 22+ foot shot and Qualls bailed him out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 23, 2015, 01:30:08 pm
Let's just say your right, which i disagree with, hell everybody else on the court knew they wern't going to touch the ball!

None of them acted like they wanted it.  Beard came open with about 2-3 sec left from 30 ft+. 

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 23, 2015, 01:30:08 pm

Exactly!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 23, 2015, 01:54:10 pm
Really? I could swear in the dvr version I watched about 10 times, Madden had 3 bama defenders around him, so i don't know how you say they never left their man after he crossed half court.  It was just like the end of the Ky game last year when he dribbled off 12 seconds on the right wing before launching an off balance 22+ foot shot and Qualls bailed him out.

3 Bama defenders collapsed around him when he got into the top of the key.  Qualls' defender may or may not have gotten a hand on a pass if Ky had decided to try and drop it off to him for a 3.  Williams was a guarded statue.  Portis' defender was a bystander and allowed him to get behind him on the baseline.  Beard's defender did leave him after Ky headed for the top of the key leaving Beard open from 30+ feet out. 

pigmailyen

Their fact checking is much better than the DemGaz.  By a mile.

ballz2thewall

you've got to keep a sharp eye out for those liberal sports writers.  they'll sneak a commie in on you in a heartbeat, and then ask us good, god-fearing americans to pay for it.
The rest of the frog.

latrops

Quote from: Hog1751 on January 23, 2015, 01:52:29 pm
So you know for a fact that were going to sneak into the tournament eh? The narrative on Hogville is amazing if we lose it's because Mike sucks and he's never gonna get it done, if we win it's because the other team sucks. After all I guess Arkansas hasn't beaten a good team since Nolan Richardson was the coach right? ARKANSAS is 14-4 3-2, Do we have some problems, absolutely but who in college basketball doesn't. How many teams would like to be 14-4 3-2 right now?

I was very pleased when we were 13-2 (2-0).  It's the last three games that have me concerned.  Win or lose, our level of play has trended in the wrong direction recently.  We are playing much worse defensively now than we were even a couple of weeks ago.  Gotta straighten things out quickly.  We really need this win @ Mizzou tomorrow.  A home loss to Ole Miss followed by a loss @ Mizzou a week later would make our path to the NCAAT much more difficult.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Hog1751 on January 23, 2015, 01:52:29 pm
We find progress in a football team that's 7-6 2-6 in the SEC but we can't find good news in our 14-4 basketball team. INFRIGGINSANE
+1

/thread

Comparing Mike to Nutt is a slap in the face to Mike.

As a staunch Arkansas liberal, I really hope this guy ain't one of us.

20gauge

Yep lets continue to bash Madden over and over, its all his fault. Why were we in overtime again. Oh yeah Portis gets called for fouling with seconds left to let Bama tie it and then lets Bama tie it again in OT by leaving his man open at the 3 point line. No mention on here of that.

Madden made the right play this time. Was it a good shot? No. Last year the same thing. I didnt see the first player set a screen this year or last. They did run to a spot and just stand and like last year a defender got caught standing and watching as the Hogs won the game.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Trystran on January 23, 2015, 01:12:31 pm
+1

Watching Madden try to be the hero over and over is one of the most irritating things ever. Yes... he "attacked the basket" into 3 defenders with 2 teammates standing behind him on the wing that could have had an open look if drive and kick was actually implemented EVER. It's also an excellent way to get open looks when the defense is in a zone... but that's just blasphemy.

Madden watched BJ young do it, has not yet got it out of his head. 

With the jump shooting ability of Bear, Qualls, Portis, and bell, there is no reason we do NOT have any drive and dish plays setup.  Yet, we don't see them. 

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 23, 2015, 12:29:14 pm
6 seconds but whose counting.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 23, 2015, 03:05:50 pm
6 seconds but whose counting.

Thanks.  I ballparked. 

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2015, 02:58:38 pm
Madden watched BJ young do it, has not yet got it out of his head. 

With the jump shooting ability of Bear, Qualls, Portis, and bell, there is no reason we do NOT have any drive and dish plays setup.  Yet, we don't see them. 

Bell wasn't in the game.  Now you could suggest a timeout should have been called but tied at home and with Bama's foul trouble I can't fault Coach A for letting it play out.

The other alternatives besides a timeout and change of personnel maybe:
Beard would have come and gotten the ball with under 5 sec left.
Qualls maybe could have received a pass for a 3.  May not have left time for a BP putback attempt.
Qualls could have headed towards the basket.
Qualls could have come for the ball.

Qualls actually allowed defensive help to come to Madden with where he decided to stop. 

Not seeing a lot of better options than what happened considering the situation.  But I also don't believe Madden is the debil and root of all problems. 

mhuff

No Hog, they are just frustrated because Arkansas' trade mark used to be offense based on good defense. That was under Sutton and Richardson. But MA is not Nolan. Defense on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 4. I also wonder what they do in practice. When teams play a zone against us, you still have to go inside. 95% of the coaches in the USA would have Kingsley and Portis in the lineup together. This is turning out to be a big waste of talent and opportunity. MA will be branded as a horrible coach if he doesn't make some quick changes..... Don't put in lineups that do not play well together. I am tired of seeing our guys work their tails off and then MA make substitutions that flitter away the opportunity to put the opposition away. Also, tired of seeing his teams play scared on the road because MA is scared. Even the teams playing us are not scared of us at home as is extremely evident. They keep on attacking us and we can't guard them. How is that possible this late in the season? I thought well coached teams improved as the season progresses?

hogsanity

Quote from: 20gauge on January 23, 2015, 02:57:58 pm
Why were we in overtime again.

Lets see, missed a dozen free throws. Yet again let a team go off shooting threes, but that's pretty much every game. Up 5 with under a minute to play and commit a stupid foul 40+ feet from the basket. Up 3 with 3 seconds to go, and foul a guy shooting a layup.

Hogs out rebounded them by 13, were +7 in to's, + 5 in assists, shot 13 more ft's, and made 6 more, took 14 more shots from the floor ( 1 fewer 3 pt shots ), yet still had to have a miracle finish to avoid double ot. Hogs reverted to last year in shooting. Hogs shot 40% ( 26% from 3 ) missed 12 FT's, all while giving up 49% from the field and 50% from the 3 pt line. THAT is why they were in OT to start with.

WarPig88

Here it is in a nutshell.

We won against a team that took the great Greg Marshall to a one point game on his home court.

But MA sucks and Marshall is great.

Haters gonna hate.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 23, 2015, 03:16:53 pm
Thanks.  I ballparked. 

Bell wasn't in the game.  Now you could suggest a timeout should have been called but tied at home and with Bama's foul trouble I can't fault Coach A for letting it play out.

The other alternatives besides a timeout and change of personnel maybe:
Beard would have come and gotten the ball with under 5 sec left.
Qualls maybe could have received a pass for a 3.  May not have left time for a BP putback attempt.
Qualls could have headed towards the basket.
Qualls could have come for the ball.

Qualls actually allowed defensive help to come to Madden with where he decided to stop. 

Not seeing a lot of better options than what happened considering the situation.  But I also don't believe Madden is the debil and root of all problems.

FYI, we did the timeout thing at the end of regulation.  It almost led to a turnover an easy layup because we got lazy on the inbound pass. 

Sivad

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 23, 2015, 12:24:24 pm
Maybe Nolan was right when he called some of the fans "turds and a**holes".
Here we go again.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 23, 2015, 12:27:59 pm
At this point I would say sweet 16 every 3-4 years is great considering the fact taht we havent made the sweet 16 since 96.

I bet some of the posters here werent even born the last time we made the sweet 16. Reid, Bradley, and Hood were freshmen. Thats how long its been.

But that is basically hoping we finish in the Top 25 once every couple of years.  That's Nutt-esque.  Nutt was able to do that, which is what the article was hitting on.  Between having more prestige and better in-state recruits when it comes to basketball, he should be performing better than Nutt.  The goal by this point should be consistent top 25 year in and year out.  That is what we got out of Petrino after a couple years and it is what we are likely going to get with Beilema.  No reason Anderson can't do it as well.  If Anderson can't be more consistent than Nutt than we will have to find someone who can.  That said, at this point I believe Anderson is doing that based on the progress we've seen year to year, so I'm not too worried just yet.

latrops

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 23, 2015, 04:24:36 pm
But that is basically hoping we finish in the Top 25 once every couple of years.  That's Nutt-esque.  Nutt was able to do that, which is what the article was hitting on.  Between having more prestige and better in-state recruits when it comes to basketball, he should be performing better than Nutt.  The goal by this point should be consistent top 25 year in and year out.  That is what we got out of Petrino after a couple years and it is what we are likely going to get with Beilema.  No reason Anderson can't do it as well.  If Anderson can't be more consistent than Nutt than we will have to find someone who can.  That said, at this point I believe Anderson is doing that based on the progress we've seen year to year, so I'm not too worried just yet.

Nutt certainly was not a sexy hire.  He really didn't do a bad job through his first four to six years considering where the program was prior to him getting the job.  The problem with Nutt was that he was kept well past the point that he proved that mediocrity was his ceiling....as well as a complete ineptitude when it came to developing a passing game/qb. 

We can't yet know what will happen with Anderson.  This year is the first that an NCAAT appearance is fully expected....where missing the NCAAT isn't just a mild disappointment but a genuine failure.  He doesn't necessarily deserve to lose his job for one season that fails to live up to expectations...but the pace of progress and likelihood of future success beyond the present level should be seriously considered.  He isn't yet anywhere near Nutt in terms of being kept around with the knowledge that doing so is settling for mediocrity.  If we keep him beyond next season without yet experience some measure of NCAAT success....it will start to look very Nutty.

hamARchy in the USA

HDN went 42-38 in conference play over ten years and got fired from Arkansas.
MA went an almost identical 43-37 in conference play over five years and got hired by Arkansas.

It was apparent from the start that MA = HDN.  Jeff Long either had no vision for the basketball program or his vision was one of mediocrity. (The same would most likely have been written concerning Long and the football program had his targeted coach Tommy Bowden been hired.)

popcornhog

WPS

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 23, 2015, 11:40:19 am
Those darn liberal sports writers.
Mike Lupica is a good writer but he was much better when he just concentrated on sports and sports fiction rather than a liberal political agenda. Bob Costas was also much better before he started his political pontificating. Then there's Keith Olbermann, but he was always just bat$hit crazy.

Great sportswriters and reporters cease being great in my opinion when they stop reporting about sports and start lecturing about politics.