Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Got to find another scorer

Started by hogsanity, December 30, 2017, 04:49:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

the drop off from 1st group to second group is way too far right now. Can't Ask Macon & Barford to set career highs every game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

?

Jones much? Had a couple of off games but had 5 double digit games in a row.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 30, 2017, 04:50:57 pm
?

Jones much? Had a couple of off games but had 5 double digit games in a row.

Most likely candidate but looked really overmatched today.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hollywood_HOGan45

Because lets find some negative in a great comeback win that pushes this program into the top 25 for the first time in years.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 30, 2017, 04:54:49 pm
Because lets find some negative in a great comeback win that pushes this program into the top 25 for the first time in years.

No, because it is true. They won today with great effort late but really, you think Macon and Barford are going to average 30 each in sec play?

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Barford & Macon are elite scorers

Anton & Gafford are solid

Jones needs to come alive!  We need either Jones or Thomas to be in double digits most nights, and need Bailey & Hall to give us at least 6 pts. each on a consistent basis.

Also, if Thompson can give us 5-7 pts. per night, & not his usual 2, we'd be in really good shape.

Our bench had 5 pts. today, UT's bench had 33

Atlhogfan1

Gafford is the best option for a third scorer.  But we can't overuse him by having him spend energy battling for post position when he is so valuable on the offensive boards and the space he covers in the halfcourt defensively.

Jones obvious best option from the bench.  Still early in his development.

Beard.  Well he has his moments.

It's tough for teams to shut down two guards as good as Barford and Macon when we have a third G who can handle the ball. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rude1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2017, 04:59:28 pm
No, because it is true. They won today with great effort late but really, you think Macon and Barford are going to average 30 each in sec play?
Ummm, so let's throw the rest of the season out and base everything on what we saw today? This is what you call looking for something to complain about. 4 players are averaging double figures and fifth just under for the season, it has been far from a two man show.

USChog

Gafford, beard, Jones, DT...found 'em.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: rude1 on December 30, 2017, 05:04:55 pm
Ummm, so let's throw the rest of the season out and base everything on what we saw today? This is what you call looking for something to complain about. 4 players are averaging double figures and fifth just under for the season, it has been far from a two man show.

This.
Arkansas did what they could to win the game in front of them. Bailey, CJ, D.Hall, Thompson have to be better but how many teams in the SEC are as good/physical as this Tennessee team? Maybe atm, UK, UF?? They had a great chance to beat the undisputed number one undefeated team in Villanova and had a great chance to beat UNC.  They did beat Purdue, at NC State, at Georgia Tech, and at Wake. They ranked 19 and RPI 4.   This gives us 3 top 50 wins before January.

I suppose if Arkansas gets to the sweet 16 but Macon/Barford have most of the points and play 40 minutes it'll be a terrible situation because we will have to find players to replace all that next year.

That is called looking for some junk in a pile of diamonds.

tophawg19

the bench was a let down with only 5 points . Thompson needs to step up. for us to advance into the 16 and beyond , we will need help. and to stay injury free . Sometimes though when guys like Macon and Barford get hot, Other guys pull back . The assist numbers would worry me more than bench. Next year is when i wonder where the help comes from.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawgsalot

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 30, 2017, 05:26:55 pm
the bench was a let down with only 5 points . Thompson needs to step up. for us to advance into the 16 and beyond , we will need help. and to stay injury free . Sometimes though when guys like Macon and Barford get hot, Other guys pull back . The assist numbers would worry me more than bench. Next year is when i wonder where the help comes from.

I really think the first big conference game in front of that crowd had Jones, Hall and Bailey in la la land trying to do too much being behind.  They're all solid and will get it going.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgsalot on December 30, 2017, 05:39:28 pm
I really think the first big conference game in front of that crowd had Jones, Hall and Bailey in la la land trying to do too much being behind.  They're all solid and will get it going.
I'm counting on it, seriously.  Jones needs to take a yoga class and relax.

WorfHog

Gafford moving to starter helps the starters but hurts the bench. I don't see that changing in 2017-2018. Beard tried to push the pace several times and it burned us.

Then again this is a hogsanity thread so really he's just looking for anything to complain about. This post was queued up win or lose.   

RebHog

Do you expect any different from the user of that post. Great game and great win by the hogs BBall team with thrilling ups and downs and at the end of the day got the W.

popcornhog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2017, 04:49:26 pm
the drop off from 1st group to second group is way too far right now. Can't Ask Macon & Barford to set career highs every game.

CJ Jones is often that guy off the bench. He had a horrible shooting night, but he is more than capable of giving us 20+ off the bench.
WPS

SultanofSwine

I am more concerned with the number of missed free throws than another scorer.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: RebHog on December 30, 2017, 06:25:39 pm
Do you expect any different from the user of that post. Great game and great win by the hogs BBall team with thrilling ups and downs and at the end of the day got the W.

Not surprising one solid bit.  Must be miserable watching the team win and hating every bit of it.

hogsanity

Ok, lets just count on winning by only getting 5 pts from the bench, at least some others here are not on the anderson pr team payroll and can see that continuing to count on barford and macon to score 30 a game is not a really good strategy.

Quote from: WorfHog on December 30, 2017, 06:20:58 pm

This post was queued up win or lose.   

Like the loser posts about the refs ripping off the hogs BEFORE the same even started, people making excuses before the game was even played.

Guess you missed my post half time, when everyone was freaking out, saying that a 7 pt deficit was no big deal.

Oklahawg

Quote from: SultanofSwine on December 30, 2017, 06:28:12 pm

Agreed.

Game was officiated differently than any game I've seen this year. Not the open-game, tourney-style from Portland nor the soft, hands-off style you sometimes get in OOC games. Crowd was amazing - that will also be good for the team as they prep to enter some hostile territory.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2017, 09:05:48 pm
Ok, lets just count on winning by only getting 5 pts from the bench, at least some others here are not on the anderson pr team payroll and can see that continuing to count on barford and macon to score 30 a game is not a really good strategy.

Like the loser posts about the refs ripping off the hogs BEFORE the same even started, people making excuses before the game was even played.

Guess you missed my post half time, when everyone was freaking out, saying that a 7 pt deficit was no big deal.

Miserable

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 30, 2017, 09:39:16 pm
Miserable

yes some of the posters here are because they cant just have conversations without labeling them.

forrest city joe

Thank you.+1000.this guy never stops.

sigpooie

just another idea of how the hogs screwed up today.. Man your mother must be rough on you.. But just so you know, in basketball certain players are called on by design to shoot as much as possible and some players are there to make the rest of the play work. These two are going to get as many points as they can so long as we are winning.. Tell your mommy to leave you alone and shut your door next time.. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

flippinhogmana

this.  One area we clearly need to work on (especially Gafford because he is apt to shoot quite a few fts).

As far as a general thought, you want your dominant scorers to step up big in big games against quality opponents.  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't that happen? 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Some ppl would find something wrong with us even if we got to the final four.

Well dang, if Macon and Barford didn't score so many points we would've won the national championship!

TomasPistola

Jones will be fine. We didn't do a great job of moving the ball around and I think that hurt Jones' chances to get in rhythm.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Cmheinley

FT Shooting was a huge detriment. We have to get back to last year's % numbers.

RebHog

Quote from: TomasPistola on December 30, 2017, 10:29:28 pm
Jones will be fine. We didn't do a great job of moving the ball around and I think that hurt Jones' chances to get in rhythm.

I think Jones just played his first meaningful game that something was expected out of him and  kinda of choked. Lets hope he uses this a learning moment and keeps progressing to his potential.

Rbill

Quote from: TomasPistola on December 30, 2017, 10:29:28 pm

This is accurate. If he's confident and in a rhythm he becomes lights out. It didn't feel like he was given much of a chance tonight. That's not just on him but everyone on the court with him.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Cmheinley on December 30, 2017, 10:30:06 pm
FT Shooting was a huge detriment. We have to get back to last year's % numbers.

Agreed, but Mikes teams are usually pretty solid in that area so I hope we move back towards the mean.

hawginbigd1

This game was an awesome win, however a look at the stat sheet is very worrisome, the starters had to play way too many minutes because the bench didn't do squat! I mean Cook was really the star off the bench! That is scary, TT, CJ, and Darious provided almost nothing.

niels_boar

Tennessee closed out on Jones like he had the last Christmas cookie.  He rushed the shots. He needs to pump fake and take a side step.  He can do that.  I've seen him do it.  Otherwise, swing the ball with a defender out of position.  He creates spacing even if he doesn't make a shot.  He'll score plenty in many games.  Another way to look at it is that one of the best defenses in the nation couldn't take Barford and Macon out of the game.  Tape showed that they couldn't just ignore the rest of the team.

Nonetheless, the bench had their worst game of the season.  It wasn't typical.  Matchups with a bunch of smallish, quick, positionless athletes isn't going to be in Trey's wheelhouse.  Tennessee is an elite defense that doesn't give up much inside, which takes away a lot of Bailey's cut game.  Hall is still a work in progress on ball handling.  It's not shocking that our bench would struggle on O against them.  It didn't help that we had played only one competitive game in a month.  Nice to pick up a quality win while learning a lesson.

Cook deserves some credit.  He didn't put up a flashy stat line, but he shored up the D when he subbed in for the last 4 minutes.  The Vols only scored 5 points at the end of regulation over that span.  You don't get spectacular runs from great offensive players without stops. I thought CMA should have used him as the primary backup center in this game because of the matchups.  Having extra size didn't help us against Houston, a very similar team, either.  We'll need Trey in other games.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Pork Twain

Because most teams have 4-5 ligit scorers that can carry the team.

/sarcasm

Corliss & Scottie and a bunch of role players that could get hot in different games

Day & and May and a bunch of role players that could get hot in different games
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogwood

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2017, 04:49:26 pm

Our bench averages nearly 32 ppg. Pretty good bench production. This game was a fluke for them in contrast to the other 12 games this season.

hawgmasta

Quote from: hogwood on December 31, 2017, 12:46:21 am
Our bench averages nearly 32 ppg. Pretty good bench production. This game was a fluke for them in contrast to the other 12 games this season.

Aye, I'm hoping that it's an anomaly like the Houston game was.

PonderinHog

Well, we did manage to score 95 points somehow...

elksnort

Why can't someone post a reasonable critique without folks freaking out about it?

popcornhog

Quote from: elksnort on December 31, 2017, 09:36:34 am
Why can't someone post a reasonable critique without folks freaking out about it?

Yes. But it was an unreasonable critique.
WPS

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: popcornhog on December 31, 2017, 09:37:50 am
Yes. But it was an unreasonable critique.
He said we cant expect career highs out of our best 2 players and need more help from the bench.  What was so unreasonable?

gmarv54

Macon and Barford did what needed to be done.No reason to think they can,t do it again when needed.It seemed to me that tenn. played very good defense and our best players did what was needed.
We won,t see this good of defense many times this year.So the younger guys can get back to contributing as they learn.

urkillnmesmalls

Ahhh...some of you guys are just looking for a reason to hammer on Hogsanity.  I promise the coaches are happy for the win, but they will look for ways to improve even following a win.  There's no doubt we have to have more point production from the second unit.  I thought their defensive intensity was solid, and other than the team losing some guys at the 3 pt. line, I thought that was the best part of the game for us.  Defense. 

I have to believe that Jones and Hall will improve as the year goes on, and we will start to see some guys emerge and assume a bigger role. 

Beard tries hard, and he's shooting well this year.  But...I agree with the assessment that if we had a true PG with elite quickness who could penetrate and dish, and be a consistent threat to score, we would be a notch better with Bacon and Barford out there taking the assists. 

That having been said, WHAT A GAME RIGHT??  I mean our guys scrapped and scrapped, never gave up, and the crowd was phenomenal.  It was almost an emotional moment to hear and see the crowd like that again, and this team can generate some serious excitement harkening back to the May-Day and Corliss days. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 31, 2017, 09:52:49 am
He said we cant expect career highs out of our best 2 players and need more help from the bench.  What was so unreasonable?

To think we will need that type of performance from Barford and Macon to win any more games is unreasonable.

Teams to beat Tennessee: #1 Villanova, North Carolina, and ARKANSAS.

You understand this or you choose not to.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: gmarv54 on December 31, 2017, 10:03:10 am
Macon and Barford did what needed to be done.No reason to think they can,t do it again when needed.It seemed to me that tenn. played very good defense and our best players did what was needed.
We won,t see this good of defense many times this year.So the younger guys can get back to contributing as they learn.

After watching atm get hammered by Bama, Tennessee and Arkansas may be the top two teams in the league.  There's no way we will see a team this good the rest of the season. Maybe UK? atm is still very good.

To think we will need this type of performance by Macon and Barford every single night based on one game that we WON is extremely nit picky.   Some people just choose not to give the basketball program any credit or enjoy any type of success we are having. That's the 3rd top 50 win before Jan.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 31, 2017, 10:19:27 am
To think we will need that type of performance from Barford and Macon to win any more games is unreasonable.

Teams to beat Tennessee: #1 Villanova, North Carolina, and ARKANSAS.

You understand this or you choose not to.

He didn't say ANY teams.  He's saying to reach our potential.  Man...some of you are acting like Hogsanity took shots at the team's performance.  He's pointing out what it will take to go through the SEC and win on the road, and have the type of consistency we had back in the Corliss days.  At least I THINK that's what he's saying, unless I'm missing something.

Let me pose this...do you think we would have beaten TN at their place with that performance?     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: elksnort on December 31, 2017, 09:36:34 am

If it were anyone else we would be fine with it but it is someone that clearly hates Mike Anderson and never has one positive thing to say about the basketball program even after success/big wins.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 31, 2017, 10:22:27 am
After watching atm get hammered by Bama, Tennessee and Arkansas may be the top two teams in the league.  There's no way we will see a team this good the rest of the season. Maybe UK? atm is still very good.

To think we will need this type of performance by Macon and Barford every single night based on one game that we WON is extremely nit picky.   Some people just choose not to give the basketball program any credit or enjoy any type of success we are having. That's the 3rd top 50 win before Jan.

You're making the point.  It's the SEC, and the programs are close enough together, and the quality is improving, which means we have to improve too.  Bama looks VERY athletic, and TAMU is still going to be a tough out.  As always, it will be hard to win on the road in the SEC....I'm confident in saying that. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 10:24:09 am
He didn't say ANY teams.  He's saying to reach our potential.  Man...some of you are acting like Hogsanity took shots at the team's performance.  He's pointing out what it will take to go through the SEC and win on the road, and have the type of consistency we had back in the Corliss days.  At least I THINK that's what he's saying, unless I'm missing something.

Let me pose this...do you think we would have beaten TN at their place with that performance?     

I think this team has the potential to win the entire SEC and get a top 4 seed after seeing Texas AM at Alabama. I do agree that in order to do that we cannot have macon and barford playing 40 minutes a night. The bench had their worst performance of the season by far.  It looks like he's basing the entire SEC season on this one game. It comes off as very nit picky even after a huge comeback win.

Do we need them to get 60 points to beat Miss State, LSU, Vanderbilt, Mizzou, etc etc? No way.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 31, 2017, 10:27:11 am
You're making the point.  It's the SEC, and the programs are close enough together, and the quality is improving, which means we have to improve too.  Bama looks VERY athletic, and TAMU is still going to be a tough out.  As always, it will be hard to win on the road in the SEC....I'm confident in saying that. 

Its tough to win on the road anywhere in college hoops. Duke found that out at BC as did we at Houston.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 31, 2017, 10:25:21 am
If it were anyone else we would be fine with it but it is someone that clearly hates Mike Anderson and never has one positive thing to say about the basketball program even after success/big wins.

Stereotype much?  I've been on the board forever, and Hogsanity doesn't HATE Mike Anderson.  That's silly.  He sees him for who he is, and I get it.  He's got a style, he's going to employ it, and it's going to work...or fail.  He's not going to change.  He didn't change in this last game did he?  No match up zone when they were getting wide open 3's, and no burning clock and getting the ball down low at the end of the game when they had a team of midgets out there with all the foul outs.  Still allowed them to rain 3's....and it almost cost us after being up 8.   

THAT is the point.  You take the good with the bad, and what we're seeing is...MA has some SERIOUS talent on the team right now, and his style works wonderfully most of the time. 

You can say it about virtually any team...but when this team plays defense with 100% intensity, and hits shots...they can beat anyone.  As Gafford develops a better post game, and our second unit improves....we can be SCARY later this season if they stay healthy and hungry.