Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trey Thompson

Started by lookawayquick, March 09, 2018, 10:14:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lookawayquick

TT needs more minutes at the power forward spot.  When he is in the game with Gafford the offense seems to have more consistent flow.  Box score shows he only got 14 minutes last night.  For the sake of offensive movement, I hope CMA will put TT on the floor with Gafford more frequently.

King Kong

Agreed. However, last night that was alittle tricky to pull off with Gafford having some foul trouble and MA trying to play more reserves to save our guys legs to make a run in this tournament

cableguy

Everybody looks better with Gaffard on the floor. The other team's bigs stats go up 200% when Gafford is off the floor. I agree the offense did look better last night with Gafford and Thompson on the floor together, but unfortunately we don't have the depth to do it all the time.   

Little Lady Back

Quote from: lookawayquick on March 09, 2018, 10:14:49 am
TT needs more minutes at the power forward spot.  When he is in the game with Gafford the offense seems to have more consistent flow.  Box score shows he only got 14 minutes last night.  For the sake of offensive movement, I hope CMA will put TT on the floor with Gafford more frequently.

I agree with you. Trey has really been playing well lately and has made the most of his minutes on the court. He is a very good passer and has come up big on the defensive side of the ball at crucial times. 
#NolanRichardsonCourt

SouthTulsaHog

When South Carolina went zone in the second half I wanted Trey on the floor operating out of the high post. With Gafford, Macon, and Barford as shooters and cutters. I think that would've helped our dry spell.

mbgrulz

Offensively, it seems to work with TT and DG on the floor together. Defensively, I'm not sure that's a good idea. Trey is too slow and stiff to guard anyone on the perimeter. You could put DG on their 4 due to his agility, but do you really want them to take DG away from the paint?

code red

Quote from: lookawayquick on March 09, 2018, 10:14:49 am
Agreed he is the best we got but....turnover prone big time.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HoGs1031

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on March 09, 2018, 10:48:01 am
When South Carolina went zone in the second half I wanted Trey on the floor operating out of the high post. With Gafford, Macon, and Barford as shooters and cutters. I think that would've helped our dry spell.

That is what I also think would be the best against the zone, but you have our guards just standing around, then trying to make a one on one move. Which ended up in a bad shot up against the clock.

East TN HAWG

TT is one of the most underrated players in our history.  He is sneaky good.  Not a lot of things that he does shows up on the box score, but the team plays better with him. 

Scottydog2525

TT is good but he is a natural 5.  With him and Gafford on the court we can get smashed against small ball lineups.  This happened against Mizzou and could happen against UF too and any team with capable guards. 

The_Iceman

I wish he would have redshirted his freshman year. Played 33 minutes, took 5 shots.

He would be a huge asset for us next year.

ChicoHog

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 09, 2018, 11:10:48 am
Offensively, it seems to work with TT and DG on the floor together. Defensively, I'm not sure that's a good idea. Trey is too slow and stiff to guard anyone on the perimeter. You could put DG on their 4 due to his agility, but do you really want them to take DG away from the paint?
Good point so maybe play some zone when the two are on the floor together.

ishankem

Gonna miss TT's passing to guys cutting to the basket and running the baseline next year

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 09, 2018, 03:07:39 pm
I wish he would have redshirted his freshman year. Played 33 minutes, took 5 shots.

He would be a huge asset for us next year.

I wish Portis had stayed for all 4.

Soooie21

The offense last night with Barford on the bench looked the best...

labb

Quote from: Soooie21 on March 09, 2018, 06:00:02 pm
The offense last night with Barford on the bench looked the best...
you and I must not have watched the same game.

b-ball coach

Barford in the high post with Gafford low is actually our best zone offense. Play Macon and Jones on the perimeter and that lineup can get looks and hit them. Barford is a threat and opens the shooters up, while he can pass to Gafford and drive too.

lookawayquick

Play a matchup zone with TT and Gafford on the floor together.  On offense, the ball just moves better when the two are on the court.  Gives the Hogs a real inside presence.

Scottydog2525

Quote from: lookawayquick on March 09, 2018, 08:02:39 pm
Play a matchup zone with TT and Gafford on the floor together.  On offense, the ball just moves better when the two are on the court.  Gives the Hogs a real inside presence.

Matchup zone still doesn't work if the offense has 4 guys who can shoot the 3.  I don't think we can get a way with playing TT and DG together against Florida.  That is where we miss Dustin Thomas.  We will see what happens tonight.