Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good gritty win Hogs Hate to encourage the ref lovers/haters, but......

Started by Gonzo, March 08, 2018, 11:34:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzo

I thought they did a terrible job regarding charge/block calls. The Hogs did get the benefit of fewer whistles and more FT's ( the usual standard by which many here determine whether or not they think the refs were "fair"), and they took great advantage of those FTs. However, I was just disgusted with the difference in the charge/block calls for each team. Gafford was every bit as "in position" on his 2nd and 3rd fouls as the couple of Gamecocks I can recall drawing charges with moving feet. I don't care how the refs are going to call that kind of foul, just so long as it's called the same on both ends. It wasn't tonight imo, not by a long shot.

Nonetheless, solid win, no folding up with plenty of chances to do so, on to the Gators.

Go Hogs!

KlubhouseKonnected

Hell, we won on free throws. That does not happen often. I'll not complain
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Gonzo on March 08, 2018, 11:34:51 pm
I thought they did a terrible job regarding charge/block calls. The Hogs did get the benefit of fewer whistles and more FT's ( the usual standard by which many here determine whether or not they think the refs were "fair"), and they took great advantage of those FTs. However, I was just disgusted with the difference in the charge/block calls for each team. Gafford was every bit as "in position" on his 2nd and 3rd fouls as the couple of Gamecocks I can recall drawing charges with moving feet. I don't care how the refs are going to call that kind of foul, just so long as it's called the same on both ends. It wasn't tonight imo, not by a long shot.

Nonetheless, solid win, no folding up with plenty of chances to do so, on to the Gators.

Go Hogs!

Charge/Blocking is always just a coin flip from the refs in my opinion. It has to be a split second decision in an area that refs don't watch closely (feet proximity to the floor).

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Polecat

That particular ref seemed to really love the whole "punch the air" routine when calling a charge. Glory hound
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

steveaustin69

hogsanity

How is it possible that one team made 2 more 2 pt fg's and 4 more 3 pt shots and still lost by 5? Refs must have been out to protect the higher ranked team.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2018, 08:22:39 am
How is it possible that one team made 2 more 2 pt fg's and 4 more 3 pt shots and still lost by 5? Refs must have been out to protect the higher ranked team.

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 09, 2018, 07:38:55 am
Charge/Blocking is always just a coin flip from the refs in my opinion. It has to be a split second decision in an area that refs don't watch closely (feet proximity to the floor).

The one block on Gafford late was because he had at least one foot on the restricted area line. On the line is the same as being in the restricted area.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawg66

How is it possible that a team you claim gives up took many cheap fouls and settles for too many jump shots could get to the line so much while the other team didn't?  Refs are bad. Just because they favor the Hogs doesn't suddenly mean they get it right. Just quit looking at the jersey and call the game.

I'd be interested in knowing what you think changed in the Hogs favor if they weren't favoring one team over another.

maxhog5

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawg66 on March 09, 2018, 08:31:25 am
How is it possible that a team you claim gives up took many cheap fouls and settles for too many jump shots could get to the line so much while the other team didn't?  Refs are bad. Just because they favor the Hogs doesn't suddenly mean they get it right. Just quit looking at the jersey and call the game.

I'd be interested in knowing what you think changed in the Hogs favor if they weren't favoring one team over another.

They actually made their free throws for once.

Is the bold insinuating a team was favored by the officials? I

rljjr

The only thing different in last night's game and the entire season was that we were getting the benefit of some calls. We didn't change how we played the game. The officials changed how they called fouls.

I found it immensely interesting.

(Hitting free throws was the difference in the game, too)

Gonzo

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 09, 2018, 08:16:55 am
Win free throw battle; still complain about the officiating.

Guess you missed the part where I mentioned the Hogs getting fewer fouls and more FTs, which they utilized very well. I actually used the term benefit. Or perhaps you didn't the actual post at all.

Go Hogs!

steveaustin69

Quote from: Gonzo on March 09, 2018, 08:38:05 am
Guess you missed the part where I mentioned the Hogs getting fewer fouls and more FTs, which they utilized very well. I actually used the term benefit. Or perhaps you didn't the actual post at all.

Go Hogs!

I did; there was one call against Gafford should have been flipped. I don't think one call is worth complaining about especially when we shot ten more free throws.

Gonzo

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 09, 2018, 07:38:55 am
Charge/Blocking is always just a coin flip from the refs in my opinion. It has to be a split second decision in an area that refs don’t watch closely (feet proximity to the floor).

I agree it's not always going to be a clear cut call, I just want the same standard used throughout the game. I didn't see that as the case last night, even on some calls that were just moments apart. Oh well, Hogs won, I'm happy,

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 09, 2018, 08:40:47 am
I did; there was one call against Gafford should have been flipped. I don't think one call is worth complaining about especially when we shot ten more free throws.

I thought two calls against him were bad relative to what they called the other way.

I'm not going full FCJ about the refs, I'm speaking about one specific aspect of their performance and my opinion of it. Overall I thougt they did a decent job, but I have no problem saying my baked potato was not good even if the steak was excellent.

Go Hogs!

hawg66

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 09, 2018, 08:36:17 am
They actually made their free throws for once.

Is the bold insinuating a team was favored by the officials? I
well either the idea that Arkansas creates their own foul problems is a fallacy or the refs aren't very consistent. Can't be both. Seemed to me that Hogsanity wants to have it both ways. When the Hogs get called for a bunch of fouls they deserve it but when the calls go the other way the Hogs caught a break from the refs.

Personally I think it's some of both. The Hogs style leads to an ugly game and the refs are too easily influenced by crowds, jerseys and coaches.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawg66 on March 09, 2018, 09:05:00 am
well either the idea that Arkansas creates their own foul problems is a fallacy or the refs aren't very consistent. Can't be both. Seemed to me that Hogsanity wants to have it both ways

Personally I think it's some of both. The Hogs style leads to an ugly game and the refs are too easily influenced by crowds, jerseys and coaches.

Yes it can.

We had 18 fouls last night; season average is 20.

We foul a lot and refs aren't consistent; they aren't mutually exclusive.

hawg66

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 09, 2018, 09:09:46 am

I agree. Does Hogsanity?  Seems he thinks the refs are above all that.

rljjr

By the way, I thought USC got hosed on the play where Beard got elbowed underneath on the shot and USC got to offensive rebound and had a sure dunk but the whistle stopped the clock. Those were two big points along with the 2 points from the T on Martin that I don't think was warranted.

The officials were praised early in the telecast by the TV crew for not calling the touch fouls and for letting the teams play. Why do they have to wait for the tournament to "let them play."?

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg66 on March 09, 2018, 09:05:00 am
well either the idea that Arkansas creates their own foul problems is a fallacy or the refs aren't very consistent. Can't be both. Seemed to me that Hogsanity wants to have it both ways. When the Hogs get called for a bunch of fouls they deserve it but when the calls go the other way the Hogs caught a break from the refs.

Or, it could just be that last night SC fouled more.

My point is that if the Hogs lose a game where they make more fg's but get outscored at the line by 10+, people are all over this site claiming the refs were out to get the Hogs. So, when it happens in favor of the Hogs, logic would dictate that the refs were out to get SC last night.

hawg66

I think the refs favored the Hogs last night and it helped. Doesn't make it right.

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 09, 2018, 09:09:46 am
Yes it can.

Hogs foul alot, especially when teams get tons of offensive boards OR have guards that can get to the rim.

Officiating crews are all different. Have the Hogs had that crew before? Was it a crew put together for the tournament? How were the other games yesterday called?

hawg66

Most of us have the ability to differentiate between a close call that went against the Hogs from a blatant missed call. We don't like the first case but we don't assume a conspiracy. The more casual die hard fans (more a fan of the Hogs than college basketball) will always see everything as a conspiracy against Arkansas. The only problem I can see is that Hogsanity can't admit the refs can get caught up in the crowd and the jersey and the coaches and call a game so poorly that it too strongly influences the outcome of the game. The SEC refs for the most part are not all that good.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg66 on March 09, 2018, 09:45:30 am
The SEC refs for the most part are not all that good.

There is no such thing as an SEC ref. These guys call in multiple leagues. So, how are the games they call in other leagues? If they are "bad" in the SEC are they just as bad in other leagues?

hawg66

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2018, 09:49:07 am
There is no such thing as an SEC ref. These guys call in multiple leagues. So, how are the games they call in other leagues? If they are "bad" in the SEC are they just as bad in other leagues?
If they allow things off the court to influence their calls then sure, that's bad.
I've played and ref'd. The best refs  can admit to a player that they blew a call.  Not sure you're one of those.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg66 on March 09, 2018, 09:55:14 am
If they allow things off the court to influence their calls then sure, that's bad.
I've played and ref'd. The best refs  can admit to a player that they blew a call.  Not sure you're one of those.

I've had to admit to missing calls, and 95% of the time the player or coach appreciates it when a ref will admit to that.

What I am asking though is are these refs only "bad" when doing SEC games?

hawg66

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2018, 10:14:49 am
I've had to admit to missing calls, and 95% of the time the player or coach appreciates it when a ref will admit to that.

What I am asking though is are these refs only "bad" when doing SEC games?
I would guess that I watch maybe 4-5 times as many SEC games, at least during the regular season. But yes, I see too much influence on referees from things off the court. In every conference and on every level. The good refs stick out like a sore thumb and you're lucky if you get even one on most crews. It's one of the biggest problems in the college game.

I understand that most refs do it out of love for the game. It's why I ref'd in my younger days. I'm probably too tough on them saying most but for sure it's too many.

I've only seen one game this year where it was so bad that it clearly affected the outcome. But I've seen many where the stuff off the court influenced too many calls.

Rocket23

Quote from: hogsanity on March 09, 2018, 09:23:46 am
Hogs foul alot, especially when teams get tons of offensive boards OR have guards that can get to the rim.

Officiating crews are all different. Have the Hogs had that crew before? Was it a crew put together for the tournament? How were the other games yesterday called?

You don't have crews in basketball.  You call with someone different every night on the floor.

Rocket23

Quote from: Gonzo on March 08, 2018, 11:34:51 pm

Go Hogs!

Moving feet have nothing to do with whether a call is a charge.  The defender must obtain legal guarding position.  The defender  can be moving left, right, or backwards as long as he is not moving into the offensive player.  Now the defensive player cannot move into the path of the offensive player once he is airborne.

Gonzo

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 09, 2018, 01:52:50 pm
Moving feet have nothing to do with whether a call is a charge.  The defender must obtain legal guarding position.  The defender  can be moving left, right, or backwards as long as he is not moving into the offensive player.  Now the defensive player cannot move into the path of the offensive player once he is airborne.

I understand that. My contention was there was a discrepancy on that standard in last night's game.

Go Hogs!

hogsanity

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 09, 2018, 01:49:47 pm
You don't have crews in basketball.  You call with someone different every night on the floor.

True, but certain guys seem to get put together quite often.