Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Once again....

Started by porkrindjimmy, March 08, 2018, 10:54:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on March 09, 2018, 08:33:11 am
Not really. Next year's team will be seriously young and inexperienced. Even if Gafford does come back, the next tallest player on the team will be maybe 6'9" and that is pushing it. That ain't good and it's why next year is expected to be a down year for the Hogs. Rarely ever does a team lose 6 scholarship players with 4 of them being Senior Starters most of the year and still have a good year the next season.

How tall is auburn?

Next year is most likely a step back though.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on March 09, 2018, 08:34:49 am

How tall is auburn?

Next year is most likely a step back though.

To put it bluntly, if next year's team makes it to 20 wins or more during regular season play, Mike Anderson should be named coach of the year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on March 09, 2018, 08:37:35 am
To put it bluntly, if next year's team makes it to 20 wins or more during regular season play, Mike Anderson should be named coach of the year.

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but not too far off from the truth.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on March 09, 2018, 08:39:00 am

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but not too far off from the truth.

Like I said, That is going to be a young and inexperienced tem next year.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

forrest city joe

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 09, 2018, 08:07:24 am
If Gafford will stay another year, if Garland is cleared to play, and the incoming class we have coming in, next year sets up to be one heck of a year.

It is building.

PRJ
+1000.JImmy you are the man!telling it like it is.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on March 09, 2018, 08:40:16 am
Like I said, That is going to be a young and inexperienced tem next year.

True. But no way to know what the end result will be. I do know this team still has work to do, I'll worry about that team in October.

Greyhands

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 09, 2018, 08:06:13 am
Three straight under Heath and Pelphrey. This shouldn't be considered some world beater accomplishment.

Solid win last night; team didn't play well, but were able to squeeze it out.

No it shouldn't but we have to start somewhere.

You cant win it if your not in it.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Polecat on March 09, 2018, 08:11:46 am
I believe we have lost 8 straight to Florida. Time to break the streak

I didn't realize it was at 8, ugh.  Last win vs them was 2/5/13, at Fay, when UF was ranked #2.

McKdaddy

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 09, 2018, 08:44:40 am
I didn't realize it was at 8, ugh.  Last win vs them was 2/5/13, at Fay, when UF was ranked #2.

We are due!

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on March 09, 2018, 08:42:49 am

True. But no way to know what the end result will be. I do know this team still has work to do, I'll worry about that team in October.

I agree with you on this.

code red

I think we are seeing that DT is a little....or probably a lot better than our options at forward.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

steveaustin69

Quote from: code red on March 09, 2018, 08:53:05 am
I think we are seeing that DT is a little....or probably a lot better than our options at forward.

Can't be true. I was assured he was hot garbage and this team was better without him just two days ago.

MountieDawg

Mike has proven he is one of the Top 68 coaches in the country...
SEC!

forrest city joe

Nope.Thomas was just a guy.just another body.

daBoar

Quote from: PermianPig on March 09, 2018, 07:36:39 am
When is the last time we beat Florida in basketball?
That's a good point, but reminds me that the lousy team the Hogs beat last eve won at Florida in January.

porkrindjimmy

Not really. Next year's team will be seriously young and inexperienced. Even if Gafford does come back, the next tallest player on the team will be maybe 6'9" and that is pushing it. That ain't good and it's why next year is expected to be a down year for the Hogs. Rarely ever does a team lose 6 scholarship players with 4 of them being Senior Starters most of the year and still have a good year the next season.

You once again Guv, are wrong. Especially if Gafford comes back.

PRJ

PonderinHog

Morning, Jimmy!  That was a wild one, huh?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: RedBird5 on March 08, 2018, 11:35:56 pm
Any win is good in the  conference or NCAA tournaments.  Ever watch tourney ball before?  Just win. But thanks for the great post.
Agreed.
Hogs were in regardless, but you never want to be bounced first day of your tournament. This was a good win. S Car was somewhat dangerous.

I kinda like they get another shot at Florida. Haven't beat them in a while. Didn't want to play UK yet(home game for them). Didn't want to play Tenn yet(playing too well now). Didn't want to play Aub yet(just beat them last week, so they would be fired up).

Florida is the best draw at this time.

hoglady

It's like Macon said last night - "we didn't play well, I know it and you know it.
We need to do better tomorrow."

But they won and advanced while missing DT, Macon's off night and Silva in Gafford's head.
We stayed with it and won.
That says a lot about this team.

PRJ - great post.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GuvHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 09, 2018, 09:23:15 am
You once again Guv, are wrong. Especially if Gafford comes back.

PRJ

No, even with Gafford, next year's team will be young and inexperienced. A team doesn't lose 4 starters, including 2 all everything guards and not have a down season the next year.

PharmacistHog

They might be awesome next year or may be garbage. Nobody knows. But we have time to worry about that AFTER this year. Enjoy THIS season. Damn.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

GuvHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 09, 2018, 09:48:26 am
They might be awesome next year or may be garbage. Nobody knows. But we have time to worry about that AFTER this year. Enjoy THIS season. Damn.

I AM enjoying this season. No one had a stellar night last night, it was a team win and I enjoyed it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GuvHog on March 09, 2018, 09:51:08 am
I AM enjoying this season. No one had a stellar night last night, it was a team win and I enjoyed it.

Hard to tell with all the posts about how bad we'll suck next year.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 08, 2018, 10:54:40 pm
Folks get mad, cuss this team, cuss Mike, dogcuss Anton Beard, say Mike is a bum coach who is getting outcoached by the great Frank Martin....

Yeah about that. I believe Mike is now 7-1 in the last 8 against Frank.

We may not be where all of us would like to be but I will tell you when teams try to get ugly with us, we get ugly right back and we win ballgames. We are tough even when we look bored. We are gritty even when we don't look like we have a clue....

Congratulations to the team. Macon off, not Daniels best game and missing DT just a bit and all we do is win the game. SC beat Kentucky, Beat Florida this year....but this team stayed with it....

GO HOGS BEAT THE GATORS.....

PRJ

It was a good game and I enjoyed the win.

Good post! WPS!

hawgfan4life

SC cut the lead close a couple of times and tied it, but AR consistently made the plays and pulled back.  Stayed in control for most of the entire game despite the negative posters.

MA is a good coach.  He isn't Mike K, but he is a good coach.

I wouldn't trade MA and his style for Frank Martin.  He is a ticking time bomb and players will get fed up with him eventually. 

GuvHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 09, 2018, 09:59:03 am
Hard to tell with all the posts about how bad we’ll suck next year.

Now wait just a minute. I didn't say the hogs would suck next year, I said they'd have a down year. That's to be expected after losing at least 4 starters off of this team. It's the nature of the game. Even in a down year, making the Big Dance again is still possible.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 09, 2018, 09:26:26 am
Morning, Jimmy!  That was a wild one, huh?

Gritty and ugly. It was a grind.

Just like I like em...

PRJ

#1 STUNNA

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 09, 2018, 10:06:24 am
SC cut the lead close a couple of times and tied it, but AR consistently made the plays and pulled back.  Stayed in control for most of the entire game despite the negative posters.

MA is a good coach.  He isn't Mike K, but he is a good coach.

I wouldn't trade MA and his style for Frank Martin.  He is a ticking time bomb and players will get fed up with him eventually.
I tend to agree with you. If given a choice between the two, I'd probably rather have MA over Martin.
He's something like 7-1 against Martin, is more likeable, and has had equal or more overall success 'when considered in totality'.

However, Martin is undeniably very good and they did have that incredible run last year, which no one expected. Final 4 team, beating Duke in the Round of 32 along the way. Ark couldn't close out it's opportunity to do the same thing against UNC.

So there is a very interesting debate to be had there.
Would you rather have a guy who is consistently good, but rarely great...or a guy who is occasionally great, but rarely consistently good?

steveaustin69

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 09, 2018, 10:41:13 am
I tend to agree with you. If given a choice between the two, I'd probably rather have MA over Martin.
He's something like 7-1 against Martin, is more likeable, and has had equal or more overall success 'when considered in totality'.

However, Martin is undeniably very good and they did have that incredible run last year, which no one expected. Final 4 team, beating Duke in the Round of 32 along the way. Ark couldn't close out it's opportunity to do the same thing against UNC.

Would you rather have a guy who is consistently good, but rarely never great...or a guy who is occasionally great, but rarely consistently good?

FIFY. Neither is the answer.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: JoeyJackMcKaskell on March 09, 2018, 01:45:55 am
I smell what you keep stepping in but you would be a lot more effective if you would just come out and say things.  I realize it's risky attaching your screen name to your posts but the sly subtle act isn't driving the point home.

Is it risky attaching screen names to posts? Might one stub their finger on a keyboard?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

CapitalCityHawg

Mike is now 70-54 (.565) in conference.

Frank is 45-63 (.417) in conference play.

We would have fired Mike if he had Frank's record.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 09, 2018, 08:04:49 am
Nobody though that Gafford was an NBA big man.remember the people who wanted Mike fired last year said on here that they were willing to give up last years recruiting class if it meant getting rid of Mike. they posted nobody in the class was that good.now people want to act like they knew Gafford would be this good.NOT!maybe coaching by Mike and his staff helped Gafford be this good.
Do you just make stuff up to argue, or do you forget over a year?  Everyone knew that Gafford was an elite player.  The debate all along would be one year or two until he declared for the draft.  I can't remember a single post where folks said Gafford was not an NBA player. 

Lets be honest.  Gafford is not be drafted because he has been developed (only been playing a few years.)  He is still very raw.  He is being projected 15 because he is an long athletic freak. 

daprospecta

Guv. Freshman can contribute in college basketball. Look around.  Knox at Kentucky, Sexton at Alabama, our own Gafford. We have guys coming in next year that will play and contribute.  I don't believe we signed any projects, not as far as my eyes can tell.

razorback1829

Quote from: GuvHog on March 09, 2018, 08:37:35 am

Definitely agree. We will take a lot of learning lumps next year, as expected. I expect for us to be very competitive though. We will fight and claw and scratch. Baby Hogs might drive some people crazy next year, but hopefully they will grow up quick. If we get to 20 wins and make the tournament, yes MA should be coach of the year no doubt.

razorback1829

LOL man what player were y'all watching? A 5th year senior who avg almost more fouls than points. I swear people don't watch the same game. Gabe O's length and playmaking alone is enough to feel better about DT. He was our 3rd best option (4th of you count Thompson) at the 4.

razorback1829

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 09, 2018, 09:48:26 am

I'm enjoying this one, and can't wait to fall in love with the Baby Hogs next year regardless! We still have a run to get to this season.

GHG!

hoglady

My LSU buddy called this morning to talk about the win and the LSU loss.

I said - well the Hogs didn't play well - he said I didn't get that, it was a rough and tough game and Arkansas survived it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rhames

Arkansas had the largest margin of victory yesterday.

JoeyJackMcKaskell

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 09, 2018, 11:16:24 am
Is it risky attaching screen names to posts? Might one stub their finger on a keyboard?

You got warned. That's enough for me. Carry on with your bad self.

010HogFan

What we lose in height, length, and experience, we will gain in quickness, athleticism, and overall skill. I think we will be almost as good as this year to be honest. We will actually have point guards.

JoeyJackMcKaskell

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 09, 2018, 11:59:46 am
Do you just make stuff up to argue, or do you forget over a year?  Everyone knew that Gafford was an elite player.  The debate all along would be one year or two until he declared for the draft.  I can't remember a single post where folks said Gafford was not an NBA player. 

Lets be honest.  Gafford is not be drafted because he has been developed (only been playing a few years.)  He is still very raw.  He is being projected 15 because he is an long athletic freak.

No one thought Gafford was a one and done. At least not anyone that does it for a living. He s been described as the 4 star that came out of nowhere to be a one and done possibility in mock drafts.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 09, 2018, 10:41:13 am

Would you rather have a guy who is consistently good, but rarely great...or a guy who is occasionally great, but rarely consistently good?

I'll take Mike with the expectation that he will have the right mix occasionally and the team will make an incredible run.  We barely missed it last year, and despite what Hogsanity will say to defend the officials, Arkansas got hosed in the final few minutes and it cost us the game.  No doubt the Martin is a good coach, but he could just as easily never reach that same level of success again.  He may have used his juice up last year.  I would guess he has as much or more chance of having a player revolt or a personal meltdown that repels recruits as he has of long-term success.  Players don't respond to that style of coaching very well anymore and why would any recruit that has their choice of a better program or two dozen similar programs choose that over another school?  College ranks are full of examples where coaches stay at a program for years with moderate levels of success before they take off and their program goes to another level for a period of time.  There are many great coaches that never reach the final four and they rarely reach the Elite 8.  As of today, MA has rebuilt our program from a very bad position, he has taken to a much higher level of success the past four seasons, and he now has our recruiting operating at a an even higher level.  I believe that he has positioned us to go to another level in the next few years because we have better athletes coming in than we have had in past seasons.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 09, 2018, 09:30:26 am
Agreed.
Hogs were in regardless, but you never want to be bounced first day of your tournament. This was a good win. S Car was somewhat dangerous.

I kinda like they get another shot at Florida. Haven't beat them in a while. Didn't want to play UK yet(home game for them). Didn't want to play Tenn yet(playing too well now). Didn't want to play Aub yet(just beat them last week, so they would be fired up).

Florida is the best draw at this time.
Had this one pegged pretty well.
Florida was the right opponent at the right time. We were due to beat those guys.