Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

recruiting Memphis

Started by husker71, March 07, 2018, 02:00:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

ESPN reports that Tubby maybe out and Penny in.  He will dominate Memphis area recruiting IMHO

husker71

Also Larry Brown will be assistant coach

HOGINTENNESSEE

If this happened I'm sure Penny would try to hire Todd Day as well. Anyone have an idea how much Philander pays?

greasy_corner

Quote from: husker71 on March 07, 2018, 05:43:03 am
Also Larry Brown will be assistant coach

What?  Is he afraid to cheat on his own?   

Kevin

ad's just cannot help themselves. they just want to win the press conference. penny has never coached in college. I love how people immediately think he is going to be great. he is just a name. if he does bring larry brown in to help, let the cheating begin.

hey ad's how about hiring guys who have been successful at coaching college basketball.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: husker71 on March 07, 2018, 02:00:59 am
ESPN reports that Tubby maybe out and Penny in.  He will dominate Memphis area recruiting IMHO

Saw this and had the exact same first reaction.

Penny not having coaching experience should help us. May end up being a Chris Mullin type situation at St Johns. He didn't get the players and can't coach. However Memphis is a much smaller market of course.

Definitely a real posibility that Penny could keep some real talent there.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Kevin on March 07, 2018, 08:59:13 am
ad's just cannot help themselves. they just want to win the press conference. penny has never coached in college. I love how people immediately think he is going to be great. he is just a name. if he does bring larry brown in to help, let the cheating begin.

hey ad's how about hiring guys who have been successful at coaching college basketball.
Hiring Penny is similar to hiring Patrick Ewing: yeah he's a former player who's not coached college basketball, but he's been a very successful and well-respected coach over the past several years. Penny will get all the best players in Memphis to stay home and has a lot of connections in recruiting because of his success on the AAU circuit. He also doesn't need to coach to make money, as he's actually been responsible with his NBA money and still has a shoe contract, so I'm not going to assume he's been taking kickbacks in amateur basketball.
It'll be an interesting experiment, but I suspect it's going to work out and hurt the Hogs' chances of getting future recruits from Memphis. Hopefully Mike and Penny can work out playing yearly again. Penny played Arkansas 3 times in two years he was at Memphis State.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

ArkansasI

I don't understand the concerns...  Arkansas hasn't effectively recruited Memphis in 20 years.

Things can't get worse.

TuCanSam

Quote from: Kevin on March 07, 2018, 08:59:13 am

He has coached one of the elite AAU teams for years. He is about to win state at East High in Memphis. He is coaching the top player in the 2019 class. He is way more than "just a name!" Puts Memphis basketball on the map again instantly! Arkansas will feel this.
"SMILE!!!!"
-John L. SMith

razorback1829

Quote from: TuCanSam on March 07, 2018, 11:58:40 am
He has coached one of the elite AAU teams for years. He is about to win state at East High in Memphis. He is coaching the top player in the 2019 class. He is way more than "just a name!" Puts Memphis basketball on the map again instantly! Arkansas will feel this.

Get wins quick schemes never work. I hope they do this.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Memphis hasn't produced recently like it used to
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

TuCanSam

My question is, will he have to forfeit the Nike contract. I know if Calapari or any other coach for that matter had a contract with Nike, it would be a big deal. I dont know the rules about preexisting contracts. $50 million contract is a lot to give up to be a college coach, if he does!?
"SMILE!!!!"
-John L. SMith

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: TuCanSam on March 07, 2018, 12:17:28 pm
My question is, will he have to forfeit the Nike contract. I know if Calapari or any other coach for that matter had a contract with Nike, it would be a big deal. I dont know the rules about preexisting contracts. $50 million contract is a lot to give up to be a college coach, if he does!?
I doubt he'd have to. Don't you remember the big shoe contract Pitino had? I think that was technically within the rules, just slimy.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

The_Iceman

Quote from: ArkansasI on March 07, 2018, 09:34:50 am
I don't understand the concerns...  Arkansas hasn't effectively recruited Memphis in 20 years.

Things can't get worse.

My thoughts exactly

Rocket23

Coach K has a contract with Adidas or used to.

woodhog14

Arkansas won't feel anything. Memphis has not been a pipeline for Arkansas in 25 years.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: greasy_corner on March 07, 2018, 08:46:08 am
What?  Is he afraid to cheat on his own?   

No, he just needs a cheating consultant to guide him through the nuances.

jgphillips3

Quote from: woodhog14 on March 07, 2018, 02:26:50 pm
Arkansas won't feel anything. Memphis has not been a pipeline for Arkansas in 25 years.

Exactly.  Yes, there are some good players there and it would be nice to get one here and there but there are great players everywhere.  Not to mention, unlike the 80's/90's when we needed that pipeline, Arkansas produces a LOT of really good talent.  We just need to grab a great player here and there from wherever we can find them.  Memphis won't make or break us the way Texas recruiting can really make football.

Athog

How? What players recently have we got from Memphis?

TuCanSam

He will not just get Memphis players. He will recruit throughout the south and in Arkansas.
"SMILE!!!!"
-John L. SMith

redhogchilipepper

Things can't get worse.

You're correct sir, Scotty Edgar was a beast recruiter there

HawgHeadCheese

For people who think Penny Hardaway is just a coach they pulled out of the air haven't paid much attention to his coaching career. He is a great AAU and HS coach. He also will get any and every player he wants out of Memphis because of the respect and work he has done in the community. Penny Hardaway is bigger than Michael Jordan in  Memphis and thats not an exaggeration.

Kevin

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 08, 2018, 10:45:28 am
For people who think Penny Hardaway is just a coach they pulled out of the air haven't paid much attention to his coaching career. He is a great AAU and HS coach. He also will get any and every player he wants out of Memphis because of the respect and work he has done in the community. Penny Hardaway is bigger than Michael Jordan in  Memphis and thats not an exaggeration.

did not know that aau & hs coaching was a great proving ground for running a major college program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ShadowHawg

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on March 08, 2018, 10:43:27 am
You're correct sir, Scotty Edgar was a beast recruiter there

We did fine in Memphis after Edgar left.

Big Boi

Most of the memphis area recruits over the last 10yrs have not lived up to expectations.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Kevin on March 08, 2018, 11:03:16 am
did not know that aau & hs coaching was a great proving ground for running a major college program
Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Steve Fisher SDSU, Mark Few from Gonzaga, Cuonzo Martin Mizzou just to name and few and the list goes on. Do some research

TrueBlue

Another chance for Memphis to vacate some games in the next five years if this happens. With his AAU connection in Memphis, I predict things will not go well for Penny. At first they will win, but a few years down the road problems will exist.

zebradynasty

I agree that Penny will need to be very careful. His ties with AAU in Memphis is a blessing and a curse. Once/If he becomes coach the NCAA will be watching him like a hawk with his AAU connections. Not saying he's doing anything wrong just that it will be hard to keep AAU separate and at the same time use it to his benefit.

outlawhogeywells

I worry more about him recruiting in Arkansas than I do about cutting us out of players from Memphis.  Just think of the East Arkansas Towns that are very short drives to Memphis.  Jonesboro, West Memphis, Helena, etc.  Even Little Rock area is a short drive and Memphis as a city could be a draw for young men. 

husker71

Frank Martin was a notorious AAU coach and he has done fine.  Why haven't we been over in Memphis trying to recruit??  I think we tried but it hasn't worked out well lately but it only takes 1 to get it started again.  Of course I thought Clyde Drexler world be great at U of Houston and that didn't work out so well.  Again I think assistants are a  key. 

Kevin

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 08, 2018, 12:16:52 pm
Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Steve Fisher SDSU, Mark Few from Gonzaga, Cuonzo Martin Mizzou just to name and few and the list goes on. Do some research

they did not go from those jobs straight into running a division 1 program. do some research

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Kevin on March 08, 2018, 06:30:13 pm
they did not go from those jobs straight into running a division 1 program. do some research
They coached hs basketball and went on to be successful college coaches and the list is even longer (John Belign, Bo Ryan, and Frank Martin) and that's what this conversation was about. Again do some research.

BoarnSupremacy

Things can't get worse.

THIS

husker71

Frank Martin was a very successful high school coach in Florida.  He had one team that went undefeated and he won 3 state championships in a row but then they found out he had 2 future NBA players, Steve Blake and Udonis Haslem who did not live in  the district until they got housing and other gifts from high school boosters.  That being said that was a lot of years ago and I don't think he has had any trouble since. USCE is lucky to have him.

Inhogswetrust

This has been the main topic on a local Memphis sports radio for two days.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 08, 2018, 12:16:52 pm

How many of those jumped straight to a head coaching job at a well known program from an AAU or High School coaching job.........none.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 08, 2018, 06:49:14 pm
They coached hs basketball and went on to be successful college coaches and the list is even longer (John Belign, Bo Ryan, and Frank Martin) and that's what this conversation was about. Again do some research.

No it is about jumping straight to a known college head job. We all know quite a few successful coaches had coached at the high school level at one time in their past.

MissippHog

Things can't get worse.
I agree.  I think it hurts Ole Miss more than anyone else in the SEC.

forrest city joe

We are not getting anyone out of Memphis anyway,so who cares who they hire.last Memphis player we got was A.Bell.and that was 6 years ago. and he was not even offered by Tiger High.i hope Mike has moved on from Memphis.Arkansas,Texas and Oklahoma.

GuvHog

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 08, 2018, 12:32:15 pm
Another chance for Memphis to vacate some games in the next five years if this happens. With his AAU connection in Memphis, I predict things will not go well for Penny. At first they will win, but a few years down the road problems will exist.

I seriously doubt that happens. With the FBI investigation going on and Penny's AAU connections, I'm pretty sure he will be told by the Memphis PTB to keep his nose clean or else. They've never recovered from the damage Calipari did to the basketball program there and they don't want any further damage done.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on March 09, 2018, 08:18:06 am
I seriously doubt that happens. With the FBI investigation going on and Penny's AAU connections, I'm pretty sure he will be told by the Memphis PTB to keep his nose clean or else. They've never recovered from the damage Calipari did to the basketball program there and they don't want any further damage done.
Tiger High never stops cheating.it goes all the way back to Gene bartow,Wayne Yates and Dana Kirk. they have always been an outlaw cheating program. and nothing has or will change.

DeltaBoy

It will all work out.  I love to get 2 kids from Memphis every other years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 09, 2018, 08:23:55 am
Tiger High never stops cheating.it goes all the way back to Gene bartow,Wayne Yates and Dana Kirk. they have always been an outlaw cheating program. and nothing has or will change.

I'll give ya Wayne Yates and Dana Kirk, they were dirty. Bartow though, was a clean coach and was well respected by his peers.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on March 09, 2018, 08:46:45 am
I'll give ya Wayne Yates and Dana Kirk, they were dirty. Bartow though, was a clean coach and was well respected by his peers.
You don't know the half of it Gene Bartow was a know cheater in these parts.Larry Kenon was payed to come to Tiger High from that Jucco.and a lot of other stuff went on under him.the media respects Roy Williams.BUT HE'S A CHEATER.

razorson

Little Penny assistant coach

yraciv

Quote from: Athog on March 08, 2018, 08:53:41 am

Mardracus Wade is the only one I can think of, and we technically got him out of a Virginia prep school.

redhogchilipepper

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 08, 2018, 11:04:22 am
We did fine in Memphis after Edgar left.

Name a recruit that was good as any Edgar recruited? I can't think of a single one

Cuz we haven't signed any since Nolan was coach

The_Iceman

Quote from: Athog on March 08, 2018, 08:53:41 am

Wade and Bell are the only two I can think of.

yraciv

We've had more heartbreak in Memphis than anything. I can think of a couple future NBA players from there we thought we had a chance to land in Thaddeus Young and Jarnell Stokes before they turned us down.

masbas3

Penny will end up being a very good Coach, and yes, no one will be able to go into Memphis and get a recruit if he's successful there.