Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chances the Hogs win the SECT?

Started by HeyHogs, February 28, 2018, 03:58:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you feel the chances are that the Hogs can come out of St. Louis with the title?

100%
4 (1.3%)
75%
18 (5.7%)
50%
71 (22.5%)
25%
160 (50.8%)
0%
62 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 315

HeyHogs

I am going to go with a 50% chance.  I think the bracket has to break their way.  They will have to play their best to win.

JONAS

I want another shot at LSU or Mississippi State In the tournament.

TM Hog

I really hope for another shot at Kentucky.

BannerMountainMan

Not one team should have over a 25% chance to win the SEC tourney anybody 1-9 could win it
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

RazorSax

I love our Hogs, but realistically it will come down to Tennessee and Kentucky. Tennessee is playing well and Kentucky has pure potential.

cableguy

Quote from: JONAS on February 28, 2018, 04:01:19 pm
I want another shot at LSU or Mississippi State In the tournament.
I want us to play LSU again.  LSU beat us twice, I wonder if we learn anything from those beat downs. 

King Kong

Quote from: cableguy on February 28, 2018, 04:25:20 pm
I want us to play LSU again.  LSU beat us twice, I wonder if we learn anything from those beat downs.

No thank you. No value added.

I want to play a team that can help improve the RPI with tier 1 wins

RazorSax

Quote from: King Kong on February 28, 2018, 04:27:57 pm

Or a team where losing is minimalistic

jgphillips3

cableguy

Quote from: King Kong on February 28, 2018, 04:27:57 pm

I think it's more important for us to play teams that will expose our weaknesses, teams with quick guards that will break down our defense and passed the ball out. We did a much better job against Auburn of anticipating the pass out, but their guards still drove in a lot.  The good thing is that we had Gafford protecting the rim.  Two more wins will probably give us a 6 or 7 seed no matter who we play imo. 

TNhawgfan

Quote from: TM Hog on February 28, 2018, 04:04:40 pm
Why? They are a horrible matchup for us.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

razorback1829

Yup. Me too. We won't press them like we did at home, and our guys will be more than ready to hit the boards. When we are dialed in, we can beat anybody.

BoarEd

I put 75%.

I don't think it's actually that high though. I think if Arkansas can beat Missouri and earn that fourth double bye they'll have somewhere around a 66% shot. So I rounded up.

hogfanny

25. I believe we are as good as any team, however the refs simply will not allow for such a thing. They will steer the game in favor of the big market heavy cheatin wildcats or anybody for that matter.

Pumbaa

It's somewhere between 0% and 25%. There are a number of teams that are bunched together and any one of them could get hot. No way we have a 25% chance to win it all. I would go somewhere around 15%. I'm not sure if Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, or even us are the favorites but I wouldn't think anyone has much over a 25% chance as of today.

sickboy

Technically, we have a 7.14% chance of winning.

If you weight it in favor of schools that "likely" have a shot at winning the tourney, you might bet able to omit two or three schools. Definitely Vandy and Ole Miss. I don't think either of those schools can win the tourney. If you're being more bold, you could probably say LSU and South Carolina don't have a chance either. Take those four schools out of the picture and we have a 10% chance of winning.

Extrapolate it further and you could probably say we have a 15% chance of winning it and be pretty accurate.

popcornhog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 28, 2018, 04:11:22 pm
Not one team should have over a 25% chance to win the SEC tourney anybody 1-9 could win it

This. Right now I'd say UT or Kentucky have the best chance (maybe 10 - 15% each) based on how they're playing. Then MSU (because they need to probably make it to the title game to have a shot at the NCAAT). LSU/UGA are capable and they know they'd need to win the whole thing to get in, so they've got extra motivation. Arkansas, A&M, and UF are all capable but don't have as much on the line.

A&M and Mizzou don't seem to be consistent enough of late to have a real shot. I see them limping in.

Vandy is about the only team that flat out seems incapable and even Vandy has shown flashes. Well, ole miss is incapable, I guess. That's the one team I'd give damn near a 0% shot.
WPS

TushCrush

We have unfinished business with both LSU and Kentucky. Tenner needs a spanking too. We can right a lot of wrongs in the SEC T.

HawgsPolo

There is a good chance they make it to the championship game, but Kentucky has too much talent.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

CiriusPorker

Arkansas has historically not done well in the SEC tournament.  Even our National Championship team didn't win it that year, I say it's very very slim with this level of SEC competition that we have right now.

Junkyard Hog

A lot of people struggling with math around here.....

Hogs won't have a 50% or better shot to win the SECT until the finals.....of course, neither do any of the other teams at this point.

daprospecta

Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 01, 2018, 10:14:20 am
Arkansas has historically not done well in the SEC tournament.  Even our National Championship team didn't win it that year, I say it's very very slim with this level of SEC competition that we have right now.
We have made the championship game 2 out of the last 3 years. I'd say we are trending upward.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: daprospecta on March 01, 2018, 10:41:25 am
We have made the championship game 2 out of the last 3 years. I'd say we are trending upward.

I agree.  Don't get me wrong. I'm just remembering all the disappointments from great teams we had in the SECT game.

Scottydog2525

With the parity in the SEC this year no team has greater than a 25 pct chance.  There are 14 teams in our league, 9 of them *could* win it, and the lowest part of those teams have the most incentive to win it.  Traditionally conf tourney doesn't effect seeding much, and sometimes not at all.  The only impact conf tourney has on the ncaaT is the automatic bid.

I wouldn't mind if we lost first round tbh, but I think we are good enough to make a deep run and if we matchup well we could win it all.  I would say something like 14-18 percent. 

xxtomassxx1980

If the tournament was held in Fayetteville, 25%. Since it isn't, 0%. This team just stumbles on the road. We win 2 games and then we are sent packing.

hogfanny

One bright spot is that with the magnitude of these last few games, we should be ready for the big dance. We will not face any teams that are taller or more talented. By now, surely Mike will be able to avoid our worst enemy.... ourselves. Needs to start with Gafford, Macon, Barford, Hall, and C.J.

thebignasty

Quote from: xxtomassxx1980 on March 02, 2018, 05:43:54 am
If the tournament was held in Fayetteville, 25%. Since it isn't, 0%. This team just stumbles on the road. We win 2 games and then we are sent packing.

Winning 2 would be excellent

TexasRazorback

I went 25%. It really all comes down to seeding. If we end up the 5 seed and face LSU in the 2nd round, I do not like that. Its all match ups.

hawginbigd1

Much better if we don't play LSU with Waters. IMO we don't want to play Florida, MSU, and LSU. The guards are too quick for us, and these teams can bury the open 3, but this is the first time in maybe 10-15 years I think we are on equal ground with everyone. We weren't beating UK and Fla. in several of these tournaments previously.

razorback1829

Quote from: TexasRazorback on March 02, 2018, 09:45:42 am
I went 25%. It really all comes down to seeding. If we end up the 5 seed and face LSU in the 2nd round, I do not like that. Its all match ups.

We'll be ready for Waters next time. Hard to beat a team 3 times in a row.

tennesseehogwild

SugarHillGaHog

My thoughts on this are different.  I never liked going into the NCAA's with winning the SEC tournament.  I just feel the taste of a defeat before going to the 1 loss and out helps.  Maybe it's an averages thing.  Too many wins in a roll.  Take that hit then go in with a chip on your shoulder that you don't want to lose again.

1highhog

Quote from: cableguy on February 28, 2018, 04:25:20 pm

I voted 0, if we have to play LSU or Florida we'll get beat again like a rented mule.

Hogz87

Seems like we say that every year (I know it's only been a couple of years) and, at least recently, every time we do get another shot at them it still ends up being a 15ish point Kentucky win.  I'm tired of that.  We can't and won't beat Kentucky.

I want LSU again.  I have no idea how we lost to such a mediocre team two times this year, but I'd love another shot at them.  I get that they are a bad matchup for us, but I still refuse to believe they're definitively better than us mostly because I hate all things LSU and I'm really stubborn. 

Same with Mississippi State.  I want another shot at them.  They were ice cold from three all night, and then they start spraying threes in the final 90 seconds to pull out a close win.  Oh, and the whole they shot, like, 40 FTs to our 10 FTs, thing. 

MemphisBossHog

The answer is 0% chance unless someone else knocks off Kentucky.  We had a senior laden team at home against a bunch of freshmen when we played KY earlier and we lost by 15.  We simply cannot beat that kind of talent and length and height.  They don't get rattled when you press them.  As a matter of fact they most likely love to play up tempo.  They dominate the boards against us.  Plus one has to remember this is the Kentucky Invitational Tournament.  One must beat the refs along with KY.  KY is the crown jewel of the SEC and the refs let everyone know it. 
I really thought we had the best shot in years to be KY this season and it wasn't really close at BWA.  They are just too tough of a matchup for the Hogs

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on March 01, 2018, 10:39:26 am
A lot of people struggling with math around here.....

Hogs won't have a 50% or better shot to win the SECT until the finals.....of course, neither do any of the other teams at this point.
This isn't a coin-flipping competition you jackwagon

GuvHog

Quote from: xxtomassxx1980 on March 02, 2018, 05:43:54 am

The SEC Tournament is played on a neutral court and is not a true road game. That makes a BIG difference.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HognotinMemphis

Slim and none...and Slim just left town.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

GA reddiehog

Hogs will not win another game this season!!!

code red

Quote from: GA reddiehog on March 03, 2018, 08:05:35 pm
Kinda think you are correct.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

davril98

I'm no hater and I hope to win it all, but I went with 0%

code red

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 02, 2018, 11:03:51 pm
Seems like we say that every year (I know it's only been a couple of years) and, at least recently, every time we do get another shot at them it still ends up being a 15ish point Kentucky win.  I'm tired of that.  We can't and won't beat Kentucky.

I want LSU again.  I have no idea how we lost to such a mediocre team two times this year, but I'd love another shot at them.  I get that they are a bad matchup for us, but I still refuse to believe they're definitively better than us mostly because I hate all things LSU and I'm really stubborn. 

Same with Mississippi State.  I want another shot at them.  They were ice cold from three all night, and then they start spraying threes in the final 90 seconds to pull out a close win.  Oh, and the whole they shot, like, 40 FTs to our 10 FTs, thing.
Our press doesn't affect anyone.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

rude1

Realistically we have no shot. We have won it one time in all the time we have been in the SEC, this team doesn't defend nearly well enough to win a tourney,

BroyledNutts

Approximately 7.1429% .... or about 1 in 14 ... these odds will change as games are won.

Rbill

I sure hope some of you don't go to vegas anytime soon. 50%? 75%? I'd say about 10% odds.

alohawg

10% is about right since they'd have to sustain a 3 game winning streak away from home, something they've given no reason to think possible.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: code red on March 03, 2018, 08:49:06 pm
Our press doesn't affect anyone.

During the SEC Tourney it can be quite effective but not in the way your thinking.

It's not necessarily applied to create steals but to speed the game up especially when the opponent doesn't go very deep on the bench.

(3) games in 3 days with can get into your legs.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TNhawgfan

Quote from: GA reddiehog on March 03, 2018, 08:05:35 pm
I think we'll win Thursday. Don't like the Florida matchup Friday at all
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Swinefeld

I guess you can alway point to the random 2000 team as saying "you never know".  I would say there is no chance of this team winning the tournament.  I say two games max before getting knocked out. 

pigface

Zero to none, but we do have a good basketball team.