Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Scott, Jr new DL coach

Started by bighog2255, February 07, 2017, 02:18:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 07, 2017, 02:37:29 pm
Kurt Anderson did a solid job turning 3 new starters... one being a former DL, one being a walkon, and one never having any previous playing time....into a decent Oline group by the end of the season.

I'm not sure why so many fans hate on him. Look at what he had to work with and the final result and improvement.

They dont actually know anything about Kurt, other than Bret hired him. That is all they need to know.

Qadi999

Quote from: ZERO on February 07, 2017, 03:58:34 pm
This is the most damning thing about him in my opinion - the horrible defense from top to bottom at TT. But let's remember that their offense is hardly conducive to keeping a good defense. One of the biggest and oldest critiques of those uptempo offenses is that they leave a defense out to dry. That's why their entire defense was junk instead of just the line.

I think we can safely downplay his tenure at Tech just a tad.  That's an unwinnable situation for any defensive coach (not to mention TT is just hard to win and look good at in general) I don't keep up with the NFL, and I'm kind of afraid to look up the stats while he was there, haha.
after he left TT d looked good against us the next year.

Vantage 8 dude

Well I certainly hope for all our sakes that Scott turns out to be a great hire. We certainly need it. While his resume may or may not be impressive depending how and on what a person is gauging his past assignments, I would hope that despite the disparaging comments that some have already made we'd at least give the man a chance to see what he can do. It might even be possible that he could positively surprise us and end up doing a good job on the DL as well as an effective recruiter. I know that goes against the grain for some; however, as he's CBB's choice we have no other option at this point but to wait and see.

ricepig

Quote from: Qadi999 on February 07, 2017, 05:05:10 pm
after he left TT d looked good against us the next year.

His recruits.......

PorkRinds

He knows more about the 3-4 defense than the last guy we had.  Sounds like an upgrade to me.

nchogg

Welcome Coach Scott. You have your work cut out for you. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

hogfansince79

There is usually more to the story...

Texas Tech assistant resigns, reportedly after being 'under influence' on campus
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/18/6418455/matt-wallerstedt-texas-tech-fired-controlled-substance

"Defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt was fired [see below for update: TTU terms the move a resignation] by Texas Tech Thursday after suspicion he was under the influence of "a controlled substance" at the school's football building, ESPN's Jake Trotter is reporting. Our Texas Tech site, Viva The Matadors, has rolling updates as more information comes in.

The Red Raiders have played three games so far this season, ranking dead last in the Big 12 in scoring defense. Texas Tech gave up 36.7 points per game under Wallerstedt this year, including 35 to FCS Central Arkansas and 49 in a loss to Arkansas.

Wallerstedt's dismissal adds to the recent upheaval at the position for the Red Raiders: he was hired prior to the 2013 season, replacing three straight one-year stints."

This was Scott's boss.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

razorbackinthegrove

Tenner gets Brady Hoke for DLine coach?? we need to loosen the purse strings

Qadi999

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 07, 2017, 04:12:57 pm
I seem to recall some head scratching around here when Dan Enos and Paul Rhoads were hired. A few even suggested, "HC in waiting."

Three pages and no one has looked up his FCS productivity. Three pages and no one has looked up the circumstances at Texas Tech before/during/after his stay there. Three pages and no one has asked about Paul Rhoads role in hiring him, and how that fits the move to a 3-4. Three pages and no one has bothered to search for a tweet, quote, or post about players discussing his strengths/weaknesses as a coach.

What we do get is one post after another proclaiming something pulled out of one's ass.

So, to be clear:

I am pleased because I assume Paul Rhoads got to be in the mix of things to hire a guy to teach the 3-4 the way Rhoads wants it taught. Check.

I am pleased because I see a young, black coach (aren't we always reading complaints about that? not one comment about that, specifically, in three pages) who might be able to connect well with players. Check.

I am pleased because I see a coach with background in the region (South, Southeast, Texas). Check.

I am pleased because NFL guys are technicians and that is how you build up your non-5-star guys. Check.

There is an assumption that being #2 to Jerry Montgomery means that he is closer to last than to first. I doubt that is true, but who really knows?

Love the number of seasoned coaches who have chimed in on his relative skills as a coach. Y'all head on.
I'll tell you two things I know for a fact His Dline At TT helped give up almost 500 yards rushing against us. HE leaves TT and the next year when we play them the TT D gave up no where near 500 yards rushing aginst us.

gchamblee

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 07, 2017, 02:58:46 pm
actually, I withheld my concern until I looked at his resume...I'm now officially concerned.

and everyone is shocked that you are concerned. you, wildhog and hogtard are big sucks on a sour lemon. the fact that bret hired him is all the reason you needed to be pissed about the hire to begin with.

ricepig

Quote from: Qadi999 on February 07, 2017, 05:18:07 pm
I'll tell you two things I know for a fact His Dline At TT helped give up almost 500 yards rushing against us. HE leaves TT and the next year when we play them the TT D gave up no where near 500 yards rushing aginst us.

I'll tell you what I know, in 2014 we had a top 12 rushing defense, in 2016 we gave up a bazillion yards/play.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 07, 2017, 05:11:36 pm
He knows more about the 3-4 defense than the last guy we had.  Sounds like an upgrade to me.

are you a Settler?

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 03:04:36 pm
I'm sorry.  It's hard to be excited about anything Razorback football related these days.

then go away and come back when we are winning 10 per season and you are less miserable. everyone would love you for it.

Qadi999

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2017, 05:21:48 pm
I'll tell you what I know, in 2014 we had a top 12 rushing defense, in 2016 we gave up a bazillion yards/play.
And what was the difference between 2014..... 2016 No Randy Shannon.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: gchamblee on February 07, 2017, 05:19:59 pm
and everyone is shocked that you are concerned. you, wildhog and hogtard are big sucks on a sour lemon. the fact that bret hired him is all the reason you needed to be pissed about the hire to begin with.

You couldn't be more wrong.  The head coach has nothing to do with questions about Scott

gchamblee

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 07, 2017, 03:11:58 pm
And you only know this because of the other thread.

You remind me of the child that hates everything but chicken strips.

lol i gotta remember that one. it sums him up so nicely.

PORKULATOR

Jets fan here. He coached the best part of our team last year.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

bythelake

What comes to my mind is 2017 is going to be an interesting year regarding the defense.  Change to 3-4 and new DC.  I will enjoy being at the games and hoping for an aggressive bad ass defense.  Sounds like CBB is going to an aggressive style.   I'd rather be aggressive and get beat than play conservative and get beat any day. 

gchamblee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 07, 2017, 03:35:24 pm
No there IS an in between. Why think there is only extreme hires? That doesn't fit your agenda either does it. As far as his TTU 2014 line they didn't do very well. They did damn nearly as well as the Hogs D that year though. Arkansas averaged 5.1 YPP given up and TTU averaged 5.2. His D that year actually gave up less rushing TD's than ours. There was turmoil in the D that year you might recall (but knowing you it doesn't matter) for TTU that wasn't his fault. Also he was coaching for a coach that doesn't give a damn about Defense. I wonder why you mentioned his one bad year instead of the three years prior to that one and what he's done since.

didnt they fire their dc for coming to work drunk that year?

ricepig

Quote from: bythelake on February 07, 2017, 05:39:40 pm
What comes to my mind is 2017 is going to be an interesting year regarding the defense.  Change to 3-4 and new DC.  I will enjoy being at the games and hoping for an aggressive bad ass defense.  Sounds like CBB is going to an aggressive style.   I'd rather be aggressive and get beat than play conservative and get beat any day. 

I'll be there right beside you, or since no one else is renewing tickets, the person next to you 4 sections over.

gchamblee

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 07, 2017, 04:31:41 pm
I hope he is Anderson 2.0, because that guy did nothing but develop a solid OL during his first year

agree

WilsonHog

For those of you proclaiming that Coach Scott is a bad hire, or even a good one, please respond to the following two questions:

(1) based on the game film you watched of teams he has worked for and the people you talked to who have worked with him, what conclusions did you draw?

(2) describe what you believe his chemistry with our current defensive coaches will be, based on conversations you've had with them.

Me? My preference is to welcome Coach Scott to the Razorback family and watch the product he puts on the field and brings to campus before I start making judgments.

Vantage 8 dude

There are certain posters on here who will trash CBB for virtually anything he does or any one he hires. I swear without even giving the guy a chance to coach the position here, much less even set foot on the Hill, some are ready to ride Scott out on a rail. Makes me wonder whether or not rather than really rooting for the Hog's success there are those who have an agenda that really goes to having the team fail just so their viewpoints/dislikes are validated. Yep, that's what I call true fans. BTW lest anyone jump on me and accuse me of being some type of Bret apologist or whatever I am not. I've been critical of our lack of progress and most certainly our unraveling against the likes of Awbarn, Missouri and VT. However, until he and his coaches are no longer deemed to be our staff then I will support them because they are still leading my alma mater. Whether I personally like it or not makes no difference to Long and others who are assigned that task.

King Kong

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 07, 2017, 05:33:14 pm
Jets fan here. He coached the best part of our team last year.

Asst to the coach

bballjws2004

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

theshiva

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 02:36:17 pm
Wanted a proven recruiter.  Didn't get one.

This.

Around the same time Tennessee hires Hoke as their Dline coach. If we want to win, we have to recruit ace coaches along with players. I hope I'm wrong.

elksnort

Quote from: Qadi999 on February 07, 2017, 05:25:01 pm
And what was the difference between 2014..... 2016 No Randy Shannon.
More like no Trey Flowers, Martrell Spaight, nor Philon.

Cletus

I'm OK with it. This guy has the potential to be great. Everybody has to start somewhere. He could be the next Brent Venables.
See, what had happened was........

Wildhog

Don't understand the personal attacks on anyone that is underwhelmed by the hire.

I've repeatedly laid out my expectations.  I just wanted a proven recruiter.  This guy isn't.  That doesn't mean that he can't recruit.  It's just a risky hire, and we we're not really in the position to afford another Segrest.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cletus

BTW that wasn't sarcasm. Just pointing to a coach that everyone would love to have.

Wildhog

Quote from: Cletus on February 07, 2017, 06:06:07 pm
I'm OK with it. This guy has the potential to be great. Everybody has to start somewhere. He could be the next Brent Venables.

Or the next Segrest, for all we know.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 02:50:22 pm
There's no reason to be excited about anything related to Hog football.

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on February 07, 2017, 06:05:21 pm
More like no Trey Flowers, Martrell Spaight, nor Philon.

Correct, it's about the Jimmy and Joe's as much as it's about the coaching. I was hoping we'd get someone who can do both, Bielema may not be around to find out if he can do both as it'll take a year for Scott to get his name back out amongst the high schools.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Cletus

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 06:08:16 pm
Or the next Segrest, for all we know.

True, but I don't see how he could be a downgrade. I agree that he's a risky hire.

Wildhog

So why was he forced to resign from TT, other than his DL being awful?  Is there more to that story?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Cletus

Looks like he was a casualty of his DC getting canned.

King Kong

In other news NC State DL job just opened. Partridge will be taking that I assume considering his close relationship to Doeren

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 06:13:01 pm
So why was he forced to resign from TT, other than his DL being awful?  Is there more to that story?

The DC was fired after our game for coming in under the influence, I don't think he was during the game, haha. Scott and a couple other defensive assistants were let go after the season so the new DC could bring in his guys.

Wildhog

Quote from: King Kong on February 07, 2017, 06:17:16 pm
In other news NC State DL job just opened. Partridge will be taking that I assume considering his close relationship to Doeren

Where did Nielsen go?
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

My second positive thing. He has a good personality. Either that or R Kelly puts me in a positive mood

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VfDf8VKjXNY"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChitownHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on February 07, 2017, 05:24:59 pm
then go away and come back when we are winning 10 per season and you are less miserable. everyone would love you for it.

He is a gem isn't he.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

King Kong

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 06:19:58 pm
Where did Nielsen go?

Saints. But actually NC hired Kevin Patrick already.

Odd, I thought for sure they would hire CP

Wildhog

Quote from: King Kong on February 07, 2017, 06:25:31 pm
Saints. But actually NC hired Kevin Patrick already.

Odd, I thought for sure they would hire CP

Most FBS football programs move quickly on new hires.
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 06:26:17 pm
Most FBS football programs move quickly on new hires.

Everyone but us

The Boar War

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2017, 06:07:43 pm
I've repeatedly laid out my expectations.  I just wanted a proven recruiter.  This guy isn't.  That doesn't mean that he can't recruit.  It's just a risky hire, and we we're not really in the position to afford another Segrest.

Looks like four of the six recruits he signed came from the junior college ranks.  All three stars fwiw.

Peter Porker

We need a proven recruiter like Sam Pittman. Just look at the condition our OL is now! That's a proven recruiter for you. Did some an awesome job we had to turn a DT into an OG. #provenrecruiter
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Oklahawg

Typical HV: failure to research, remembering the score and results of Texas Tech in 2014. Odd, these posters fail to remember going in to the game folks around here were talking about how scrawny (or overly toady) some of the Tech DL were, and that they were heavily dependent upon new recruits to even have a DL.

Prior to the game, at least one savvy poster questioned the DL's depth: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=574263.msg9179529#msg9179529

It's impossible to get a peg on the Red Raiders' defense. Their plan is to rotate quick veteran Jackson Richards and huge Rika Levi at nose tackle in their 3-4 defense. Both players missed a lot of time with injuries in the first two games. If they are ready to play, T-Tech might have some answers for Arkansas's power. One way or another, though, limited depth and flexibility is going to show in Tech's Dline rotation.

Not a problem created by a first-year position coach, right? It appears Levi was a summer arrival following being signed in 2014: http://redraiders.com/filed-online/2014-02-26/departed-seniors-leave-red-raiders-big-holes-fill-noseguard-defensive-tackle
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra