Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fouling 3 point shooter

Started by texhog, March 18, 2015, 12:01:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

texhog

So one of the games last night we had another 4 point play and the announcers talked about how this has been a big trend this year.... stupidly fouling a 3 point shooter by lunging and fouling after the shot is gone.  They simply could not understand this.  I know the Hogs tend to do this.  I watch them jump at the 3 point shooter but usually don't foul.  What kills me though is we lunge at the shooter and instead of stopping, turning around, and trying to position for the rebound, our defender just sort of quits on the play, I guess thinking the shot will go in or someone else will get it.  Not just our guys do it.  I notice that a lot.  If they would just defend the shot and then turn around and look for the rebound there are a lot of shots that come right back to the shooter.  Is anyone coaching defense/rebounding?

PorkRinds

Quote from: texhog on March 18, 2015, 12:01:33 pm
So one of the games last night we had another 4 point play and the announcers talked about how this has been a big trend this year.... stupidly fouling a 3 point shooter by lunging and fouling after the shot is gone.  They simply could not understand this.  I know the Hogs tend to do this.  I watch them jump at the 3 point shooter but usually don't foul.  What kills me though is we lunge at the shooter and instead of stopping, turning around, and trying to position for the rebound, our defender just sort of quits on the play, I guess thinking the shot will go in or someone else will get it.  Not just our guys do it.  I notice that a lot.  If they would just defend the shot and then turn around and look for the rebound there are a lot of shots that come right back to the shooter.  Is anyone coaching defense/rebounding?

Nope, nobody.  I hear there is a position open though...

LA Football fan

This is what I am thinking.  They teach defense and rebounding.  The question truly is, is anyone being punished when they don't block out/play defense properly?   When I say punished, I mean pulled from the game immediately or told to run in practice immediately when they fail to execute.  Do this enough and the point will get through that you mean what you say/teach.  Nolan had that stare and intimidation factor that he used to get his point across.  I just don't know if Mike has put in place a system that puts that emphasis/fear into his players that they had better execute on defense (block out for rebounds) or they will find themselves on the bench.

I am not going to complain though.  I am thoroughly satisfied with our season this year and I am not going to nitpick Mike now during our best season since Nolan.   Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.  I am behind Mike 100% and won't let a few minor issues derail a great season.  Go Hogs and beat Wofford.

phadedhawg

I've noticed guards are getting really good at flopping and getting the foul called.  Often times they are sticking out their legs to draw the contact.