Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"That's the right call," Smith said of the field goal attempt. "I mean, you have to score twice to w

Started by nobballconcept, November 23, 2012, 08:30:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Laughing Hog

Quote from: nobballconcept on November 23, 2012, 08:30:55 pm
Uh, no Johnelle

I think it should be 'Joanelle' after the way he called the game today. While we're at it, let's change the other one to 'Pauline'
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

3of5-2

Who is he, to be talking about his math being correct? Not sure he is good with numbers anyway.

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

texhog

I think he should have gone for it.  But the decision to take the 3 was slightly vindicated when LSU scored the FG with 1:30 to go.  Had Ark gone for it on 4th down and failed, then that LSU FG would have put them up 10 and then the last drive wouldn't have mattered either way.  But as I said, in that situation, you just gotta go for it.

EastexHawg

We had second and goal from the one foot line and we never handed the ball to a back.  Four inches per play and we score a TD. 

Instead we got more idiocy from the worst coached team in America.  Those morons make Hooty look like Lombardi.

Gee, do you think being only three behind instead of seven would have come in handy when we had it at the LSU 18 with six seconds left?

I can't believe that joker has the nerve to preach strategy after coaching a top five team to this cluster frank of a season.

Blockisland

OMG he is the dumbest coach in the country. Now I know why he can't even balance his checkbook, Thank goodness it is over

HaskellHog83

I, like most of you, am glad that this was his last game as our coach. However, in his defense, both of the decisions that he made were technically the right moves. If we would have scored at the end, then it would have in essence, worked out. It's time to move along, and for everyone to get on the same page.

hogman64

john L   appears to be a guy who is either unlucky or just stupid, either way you dont want him in your organization.....this is the same guy  who thought in the rain at the   Alabama game would be a good time to replace a deep snapper who had been perfect for over a year...

Ugly Uncle

Worst call from the worst coach.  I couldn't believe it.  If you go for it and don't get it they are still pinned inside the one. If we get it then the whole game changes.  You can't say they would kick the field goal to go a head, because plays would get called differently etc.

I'm so glad this season is over.
Retired Radio Host

hogman64

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 23, 2012, 09:16:24 pm
Worst call from the worst coach.  I couldn't believe it.  If you go for it and don't get it they are still pinned inside the one. If we get it then the whole game changes.  You can't say they would kick the field goal to go a head, because plays would get called differently etc.

He based the call in part because our defense was playing so well , well ok if the defense is playing well dont you feel pretty good about your chances when the other team starts on the 6 inch line........that reasoning only makes it more of a good call to go for it... what a  goof ball....

hobhog

Incredible. He even said they took chances today. What a moron. We had nothing to lose but pride, and he took all that away with cowardly play calling ALL year. Thank gawd he's gone....

MiHogsMi

He is the cockiest, most arrogant pryck in Arkansas.

I cannot believe how bad a coach he really is.  You have 6" to go and you kick a field goal knowing you will then need STILL NEED A TD on another possession?  NUTS.  You go for the TD...THEN go for another score for the win.

I have never, ever heard or seen another coach have it this backwards. 
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

EastexHawg

Again, it's not like there was only one play in the scenario.  John L. didn't drop out of a helicopter to find himself with one play to score.  We had second and goal from 12 inches away.  We didn't hand it to a back once.  Obviously our coaches don't think we can gain one foot in three attempts.

This season has been an abomination.

Publius

Like all things in life, there is an "upside" and a "downside" to any decision.  When there is difficulty in deciding which way to decide, it therefore makes the more sense to pick the choice which affords more "upside" potential vis-a-vis the "downside" risk.  Applying this to the 4th and goal decision in today's game, the pick between going for it and kicking the FG is a no brainer, since the "upside" of game tying TD outweighs the "downside" of giving the ball back to a stuggling LSU offense at their 1 foot line.  Throw in the fact that a made FG still means we needed a TD to take the lead makes this even a more no brainer. 

Publius

One more thing....the 2nd down pass play was the one that was the worst call of the series...terrible!  You had an LSU defense that was on its heals and would not have been able to withstand 3 straight calls to Davis or Johnson up the gut.  Terrible play calling by a terrible coaching staff.

Wants2Win

How was it ever a good idea to bring this guy in? Name one thing before this botched abortion of a season that johnelle brought to the table....seriously someone please.

HognitiveDissonance

Flaky doesn't begin to describe John L. Smith.
So needing less than a yard, they call a gutsy wheel route to Johnathan Wiliams that works down the sideline for a big gain.
Yet, needing a foot to tie the game with a TD, they elect to kick a FG.

That's the key here...it wasn't even a yard. It was one foot! You'll never get a better chance to get the TD you need, so you have to take that risk! If you don't make it, you have them pinned up INSIDE the 1-yard line.

This was such a winnable game for Arkansas. It was there for the taking.

i will correct your math you wuss. we were 4-7 at the time. you go for the td. and if you think the defense was playing so well how about leaving lswho on the 1 inch line if you don't make it? worst call in razorback history. what did we have to lose? then not go for it again? sheesh i am so glad this season is over and we can get a real coaching staff in here

ballz2thewall

our fullback [litton(sp?)] actually caught the ball on that series but the ref called it incomplete.

however, it didn't matter.  truth is, he ran a terrible pattern.  we were what, less that 2 yards away from the goal, and he runs a route that is NOT is the end zone!!

as it was it didn't matter that the play was called incomplete because the catch was on or behind the line of scrimmage.  if he had been a bit deeper then we could've had the play reviewed - the replay was clear that he caught the ball and had control.

if only he were in the end zone.........
The rest of the frog.

ThreeWayInn

I understand his reasoning....and if this was for a trip to the Conference Championship Game....might make some sense...but come on man....we were 4 and 7....nothing to lose here....defense playing good....LSU is terrible on offense...GO FOR IT!

With that said...not sure I am more angry for not going for it or the play calling with 1st and goal from the 6 inch line.......

We played 3 good teams this year....Alabama, SCe, and A and M...LSU a toss up game at home....8 games were layups....and won 4 games...nothing more to say.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Publius on November 23, 2012, 10:41:06 pm
One more thing....the 2nd down pass play was the one that was the worst call of the series...terrible!  You had an LSU defense that was on its heals and would not have been able to withstand 3 straight calls to Davis or Johnson up the gut.  Terrible play calling by a terrible coaching staff.

I was going to respond to Eastex's "We had second and goal from the one foot line and we never handed the ball to a back" comment. But this one is where I wanted to go.

To send a guy (who is not one of your main offensive players, ie. someone like DJ, Cobi) on a shallow route, running east and west, in front of the goal line with LSU's athletic DBs seeing this coming...THAT was terrible. I don't know which question to ask first—who called that play? Or, who drew up that play? (But we know.) Hell, I could have defended that route.

This play made the Tyler sneak seem okay for a shot. But you can't run a pass route short of the goal line, a route where you have no forward momentum to carry you forward after the catch, can you? That awful play scared the coaches and they had no guts to regroup and go for it. That one play doomed the next two.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: RedfieldHog83 on November 23, 2012, 09:14:31 pm
I, like most of you, am glad that this was his last game as our coach. However, in his defense, both of the decisions that he made were technically the right moves. If we would have scored at the end, then it would have in essence, worked out. It's time to move along, and for everyone to get on the same page.

What is easier to get? Feet or yards? Half a yard, one foot, a few inches from the goal line and fourth down, or, the last play of the game and you have around 20 yards to go for the TD. Which option would you pick?

DukeOfPork

Agreed.  JLS is a horrible coach and I was POed at not going for it on both 4th downs...

BUT, they both ended up being the right call. 

This is just typical Hogville misdirected anger.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: DukeOfPork on November 24, 2012, 01:03:18 am
Agreed.  JLS is a horrible coach and I was POed at not going for it on both 4th downs...

No balls no glory.

hobhog

Right calls? We lost the game.......A TD instead of 3 would have changed everything.

Westcoasthog

Kick John L. Smith's (Slappy the Clown) ass out of town or do I have to come from the West Coast to do the honor.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

cthog99

We were 4-7 with nothing to lose. You go for it and if we dont make ot and lose, so what. Just means we will be 4-8. You would never see a 4-11 team in the nfl not going for it in a situation like that with nothing to lose. I don't want to hear well technically it was the right call.
No you have nothing to lose against a team better than you. You go for the win at all costs.

hogman64

In the same situation Les Miles would have gone for it 100 out of a 100 times , I think he knew when we did that they would win the game....

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hogman64 on November 23, 2012, 09:15:21 pm
john L   appears to be a guy who is either unlucky or just stupid, either way you dont want him in your organization.

Jeff Long disagrees with you.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on November 24, 2012, 01:56:51 am
Jeff Long disagrees with you.

I'm not a huge Jeff Long enthusiast.. but there is this heady dose of the dumb emanting from the anti-long crowd, yeah man.. i'm real sure that in addition to wanting to keep John L Smith in the organization that Long also doesn't recognize that this season was a failure...

smun83

As much as I can't stand Miles he believed in his players enough to pass on a key third down and Beckham got 50 yards out of it.  John l coached scared no way around it.

Pig In The City

This entire season has been a head scratcher.  There was nothing new yesterday.

ceegar

Quote from: smun83 on November 24, 2012, 07:05:24 am
As much as I can't stand Miles he believed in his players enough to pass on a key third down and Beckham got 50 yards out of it.  John l coached scared no way around it.
he just has superior players.  that was not the right call either but it worked this time
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

ChitownHawg

My response to JLS would be - go talk to your senior QB. It was very apparent in the presser Tyler wanted to go for it and I bet the rest of the seniors did as well. What the crap did you have to lose? If you did not make it, so what? It is not like these seniors do not know what a loss feels like.

It showed me that even if everything clicked and we were in the hunt for the NC, JLS would not have made the occasional risky calls that are needed when making a championship run. He would have played not to lose.

I now see why he did not remember saying "We didn't come here to paint!" That was simply CBP paying homage to his mentor or was said before JLS grew old with feet of clay.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MRPRFCT

He probably forgot that the college games goes to overtime when tied at the end of regulation.

latrops

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on November 24, 2012, 12:57:37 am
What is easier to get? Feet or yards? Half a yard, one foot, a few inches from the goal line and fourth down, or, the last play of the game and you have around 20 yards to go for the TD. Which option would you pick?

While I agree that they should have gone for it on 4th down in that situation, it didn't infuriate me at the time.  There were over 12 minutes left in the game...the Hogs had three more fruitless possessions after that.  The big play was when LSU converted third and 10 by breaking a tackle for a 50 yard gain.  That forced the Hogs to use all their timeouts on defense and required that they score a TD on their last possession just to tie.

CallThemHawgs!

Sorry, but you dont give the ball back to LSU with 5 minutes on the clock in the 4th quarter down by a touchdown. Ever. Especially in a rivalry game, at home, when you are 4-7.

Wrong call. End of story.

sharks89

Quote from: Blockisland on November 23, 2012, 09:02:48 pm
OMG he is the dumbest coach in the country. Now I know why he can't even balance his checkbook, Thank goodness it is over

^^^ This,...
Go Hogs!

hogrocker

GlassofSwine

Misguided is thinking that if we go for the TD the rest of the game has the same outcome. Score and we have complete momentum. Maybe LSU doesn't get that field goal. Don't score and they are in terrible offensive position at a time wen our DL was being dominate. That's it bottom line. Odds were in our favor to go for it.

cade321

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on November 24, 2012, 12:57:37 am

This is what it comes down to.  You need two scores.  You have less than a yard to score a TD on that possession.  You have already gained all but 1 yard needed to get your first 7 points on that drive.  You score the TD here, and your defense holds up, you just need a field goal.  You don't need to get to the 1 yard line again to kick the winning field goal.  He basically traded a reasonable shot at winning for a required Miracle.  What an idiot.

Hogman2

It has already been proven he is poor in math which is why he declared bankruptcy for 40 million dollars!  He is too stupid to realize the momentum gained if we had tied the game with LSwho! What did we have to lose by going on 4th down?  We were playing a power team in the SEC and we had lost the chance at a winning season!  WE had nothing to lose!  The only right call will be when John L is removed OFFICIALLY as head football coach at ARKANSAS!

BrokenArrowHogs

Was a terrible call and decision.  He had several bad moments in that game.  The team had nothing to lose, yet he played so conservative in moments the HOGs had to score points or keep key drives alive.  He is terrible as a coach and I am so glad this season is over.

JLS should be awarded LSU's game ball. 

Redhogs

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 23, 2012, 09:16:24 pm

Absolutely killed our momentum and the crowd as we had both at the time...epic fail by slappy.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

sigpooie

Don't stop with Jonelle it is also Paulines fault as well. Now I know he not only looks slow he is slow. The D coaches had to be in some kind of battle with the O coaches. It was as if the O coaches won the game by making it as hard as possible on the D coaches and did not care if it cost us the game. May the spirit of the Hog nation rise up and kick their butts out of this state forever. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Pickeledpigfeet

I am so repulsed by JLS at this point, any call he made was wrong! There is no way the team can have any confidence in their coaches and that has a severe negative impact on their performance.
Get off the Gus bus....Get on the Bret Jet !!!!!

Huckleberry Pig

No. They are both the wrong moves. If you can't see that you are as smart as JLS and I just feel bad for you.