Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike will retire here

Started by UNCLE BACK, February 05, 2018, 01:19:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLE BACK

I have been told by a person that works in the Athletic Dept that Mike got the extension because of all the sell outs. When the new Ad got here, he and Mike sat down and talked about the direction of the basketball program. The Ad felt like Mike deserved 4 recruiting classes with us now having the new Practice Facility. He has signed 3 now and will get a chance to sign 1 more. I am not saying I agree with this but I do believe my source knows what he is talking about. Mike will be 60 in a couple of years so I would say this will be his last job.

redneckfriend

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on February 05, 2018, 01:19:43 pm
I have been told by a person that works in the Athletic Dept that Mike got the extension because of all the sell outs. When the new Ad got here, he and Mike sat down and talked about the direction of the basketball program. The Ad felt like Mike deserved 4 recruiting classes with us now having the new Practice Facility. He has signed 3 now and will get a chance to sign 1 more. I am not saying I agree with this but I do believe my source knows what he is talking about. Mike will be 60 in a couple of years so I would say this will be his last job.

Sounds right to me and it sounds like the right way to do it for the sake of the program long term.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Things haven't been great the past couple weeks but Ive seen what mike Anderson did everywhere else. He won. He isn't like bielema that won big at 1 university under the watchful eye of someone else, hes done it at several programs. Its just a matter of time until everything falls in place and he has that 1 big season we remember him for. As far as im concerned, Mike can stay here as long as he wants
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jst01

Not shocked if it turns out that way.  AR is already just a decent program in a decent conference, having Mike here for another few years wont really make it worse or any better. I still think after they tank this year and miss the tourney next year, the goodwill from the $ellouts at Bud this year will evaporate quickly and next year will be his last year.

The_Iceman

You are right. Once he is fired after missing the NCAA Tournament this year, he will probably just retire from coaching here in Fayetteville.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 01:40:51 pm
You are right. Once he is fired after missing the NCAA Tournament this year, he will probably just retire from coaching here in Fayetteville.
You do know there is literally zero chance he's fired this year, right? We could lose the rest of our games and he wouldn't be fired at year's end.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 05, 2018, 01:45:48 pm
You do know there is literally zero chance he's fired this year, right? We could lose the rest of our games and he wouldn't be fired at year's end.

You are probably right. Mediocrity has set in strong with our fans. They will accept this as normal. NIT here we come!!!!

Atlhogfan1

February 05, 2018, 01:54:17 pm #7 Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:27:59 pm by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: jst01 on February 05, 2018, 01:37:23 pm
Not shocked if it turns out that way.  AR is already just a decent program in a decent conference, having Mike here for another few years wont really make it worse or any better. I still think after they tank this year and miss the tourney next year, the goodwill from the $ellouts at Bud this year will evaporate quickly and next year will be his last year.

Extension had nothing to do with sell outs as it was started last April and BWA had not been selling out.  We were coming off of two seasons where actual attendance was around 50%.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

010HogFan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 05, 2018, 01:33:00 pm
Things haven't been great the past couple weeks but Ive seen what mike Anderson did everywhere else. He won. He isn't like bielema that won big at 1 university under the watchful eye of someone else, hes done it at several programs. Its just a matter of time until everything falls in place and he has that 1 big season we remember him for. As far as im concerned, Mike can stay here as long as he wants

I don't see anything that leads me to believe anything will change. I think his "season to remember" was probably last year and the highlight of his tenure here will be 'almost' beating North Carolina.

jvanhorn

So 1 big season out of 12 or so makes you happy?  That is a pretty damn low standard for a major university with, according, to you great facilities.  I can hear the laughter all the way to Wichita!

The_Iceman

Attendance can change very quickly, especially if fans feel there is no hope.

onebadrubi

Did you source have Gruden or Malzahn as head coach?  we need to vet these sources...

Mike Irwin

Spot on.

DeltaBoy

Mike doing the best he can , it is on his players to do better.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

sad really sad. it does not take that long to build a winning program. so, is next season ncaa or bust with 6 freshman, or will they use youth as an excuse to get year number 9
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jst01

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2018, 02:10:20 pm
sad really sad. it does not take that long to build a winning program. so, is next season ncaa or bust with 6 freshman, or will they use youth as an excuse to get year number 9

Its sad b/c Mike's departure is going to be a negative one, with him trying to explain to the media why he couldn't get to the tourney after 2016/2017 season and why his recruiting classes never panned out. He will be either fired or forced to retire.

His best move would be to retire on Senior night at the end of next season, and do it on the same night that they name the court after Nolan and have a big celebration. Mike can go out on a high note, regardless of winning nothing, and leave a little positive vibes with his legacy.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 01:48:18 pm
You are probably right. Mediocrity has set in strong with our fans. They will accept this as normal. NIT here we come!!!!
I don't understand the anger. No one is accepting it as normal, and btw, NIT is better than what was before, so even if this is a new "normal," it's still a step up. I think everyone believes missing the tournament this year and next means game over. I don't think it's unreasonable to give him that. 3 years ago, we were a 5 seed, and last year as an 8 seed, we were a screw job away from the Sweet 16. I think looking at this from any scope wider than the past month shows that the program is fine.
Would you want him fired if we were an 8 seed this year and next?
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Hawg Red

Very believable.

The state of things right now feels very much like how things felt after losing at Missouri and at home to Vanderbilt (in blowout fashion). Hopefully we see a similar turnaround immediately.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 05, 2018, 02:19:22 pm
I don't understand the anger. No one is accepting it as normal, and btw, NIT is better than what was before, so even if this is a new "normal," it's still a step up. I think everyone believes missing the tournament this year and next means game over. I don't think it's unreasonable to give him that. 3 years ago, we were a 5 seed, and last year as an 8 seed, we were a screw job away from the Sweet 16. I think looking at this from any scope wider than the past month shows that the program is fine.

NIT = Missing the NCAA Tournament.

So it is exactly what we had before. Success in college basketball is measured by one thing: what you do in the NCAA Tournament.

If we miss it, then it is a failed season. We are in year 7 of Mike's tenure so we are past rebuilding years and "getting established."

It is NCAA or bust for Mediocre Mile every year now.

Atlhogfan1

Well Ice can jump back on the wagon quickly.  The anger or frustration comes from the continued list of reasons/excuses which are made to keep extending this era.  It's Nutt era like.  To suggest an extension was done because of sell outs when the arena hadn't been selling out is just lying to us.  All recruits beginning in the 2015 class were going to be on campus in their first season when the practice facility opened.  If not for what is coming out of Arkansas high schools, would recruiting be any different?  Even with 16 players signed in the 16-18 classes(6-4-6) and the state producing recruits, the classes are in the 25-35 range. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Qbackinman

I for one, and one of the few apparently, who doesn't think being a mediocre basketball team is okay, or considered "winning." Many thought with Barford and Macon back and Gafford coming in and the depth this team has, this would be a banner year. It's not turned out that way and the blame starts at the top.
Anderson isn't going to get any better at what he does.
If they don't make the NCAAs or go one and out, even, this season is a disappointment and I hate that Razorback fans accept these kind of results. I'd like us to move on then, start with someone else, if that happens. Anderson's a nice man but he's not getting it done, if they keep falling apart at the seams.

raz1965

Let's all hope for the best with the program, Mike would be a great coach if he can get his win percentage up an win  some championships be it sec , sec tourney, regional of tourney an some of those early season deals , such as PK80 or whatever they may be called. Get some good teams that have a shot to win something ever year,   with that you eventually breakout .It is about recruiting, make no mistake about it, great players do great things.

jst01

Quote from: raz1965 on February 05, 2018, 02:42:45 pm
Mike would be a great coach if he can get his win percentage up an win  some championships be it sec , sec tourney,

What?!?  hahahah!!   Great logic.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2018, 02:10:20 pm

Nutt had a very good season 9.  Everything came together for him in DMac and Hillis from in state + Jones and two high NFL picks on defense. 

I had told myself when this era was inevitable that I would force myself to care as long as possible and then still try and pay attention as long as possible.  It is getting harder and harder to pay attention.

code red

8 seed?  Not happening..no way. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The_Iceman

If Mike misses the tournament and is brought back, it needs to be without one of his assistants. Scotty isn't going anywhere. TJ is his family. So it might need to be Watkins.

Davidr295

I don't believe your story at all.

1) The extension was given last November
2) The current AD wasn't even hired yet when it was given
3) How could sellouts come into play in November? Before the season even started?

99toLife

No if we win at least 2 games in the NCAAT at least one of those years.

Breems

I encourage you all to remember the #1 unwritten rule of Hogville: No one knows anything.

I've repeated this multiple times, but I'll say it again. We aren't the only school in NCAA history to hire a former assistant coach, nor would we be the first to fire one. Don't give in to the oracles and all-seers who have "known since the beginning" that Mike would troll us with his 2099 free pass of mediocrity. The 2 NCAAT appearances are why he's still here, not Nolan.

Remember, there's a business behind this. The fans get loud in a hurry when we're not doing well, and the fuse for impatience is only getting shorter. The rest of the SEC is improving fast, and that external pressure will only help if things continue to get nasty.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

EastexHawg

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 05, 2018, 01:32:55 pm
Sounds right to me and it sounds like the right way to do it for the sake of the program long term.

What is good for the program long term is to hire the best coach possible and WIN.  Winning brings better recruits.  Winning sells more tickets and makes more money.  Winning breeds winning.

Justifiable Hogicide

Arkansas will be Anderson's last coaching job alright.
But he will end up a multi-millionaire - never has sitting on the bench next to another basketball coach ever paid so well.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 05, 2018, 03:03:52 pm
I don't believe your story at all.

1) The extension was given last November
2) The current AD wasn't even hired yet when it was given
3) How could sellouts come into play in November? Before the season even started?

Well, Mike Irwin vouched for it.... but logic agrees with you.  I'd assume however that what is missing is the fact that the current AD had a meeting and said you are having some sellouts that have not been here in years.  so truth is usually somewhere in between.

HF#1

Been saying it since he was hired. Lifetime Contract is lifetime. He would never be fired from here. He will retire. You don't hire Mike Anderson to fire him. Not with all the nostalgia that comes with him.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

rzrbkman

Quote from: jst01 on February 05, 2018, 02:15:12 pm
Its sad b/c Mike's departure is going to be a negative one, with him trying to explain to the media why he couldn't get to the tourney after 2016/2017 season and why his recruiting classes never panned out. He will be either fired or forced to retire.

His best move would be to retire on Senior night at the end of next season, and do it on the same night that they name the court after Nolan and have a big celebration. Mike can go out on a high note, regardless of winning nothing, and leave a little positive vibes with his legacy.

Why would they have a senior night next season?

Davidr295

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 05, 2018, 03:26:10 pm
Well, Mike Irwin vouched for it.... but logic agrees with you.  I'd assume however that what is missing is the fact that the current AD had a meeting and said you are having some sellouts that have not been here in years.  so truth is usually somewhere in between.

I believe the AD met with him, like he did with most likely every coach for all of the sports, and discussed what he liked currently about the program. But some posters attempt to try and tie this meeting to the extension is misleading.

Breems

Quote from: HF#1 on February 05, 2018, 03:26:21 pm
Been saying it since he was hired. Lifetime Contract is lifetime. He would never be fired from here. He will retire. You don't hire Mike Anderson to fire him. Not with all the nostalgia that comes with him.

If we miss post-season play the next 2 seasons, he's still here?

jst01

Quote from: rzrbkman on February 05, 2018, 03:33:49 pm
Why would they have a senior night next season?

well good point,  ok call it "last home game night".

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Breems on February 05, 2018, 03:35:57 pm
If we miss post-season play the next 2 seasons, he's still here?
Yes if he wants to be. His record has not and will never play a role in his employment at Arkansas

The_Iceman

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on February 05, 2018, 03:38:06 pm
Yes if he wants to be. His record has not and will never play a role in his employment at Arkansas

Bull crap. I don't believe he is beyond firing if it gets bad enough.

Breems

Hahaha, I love it!

jst01

This is just flat out false.

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 03:49:50 pm
Bull crap. I don't believe he is beyond firing if it gets bad enough.

Oh, he is, Iceman. The fans are in love with him, Yurachek is besties with Nolan, and he has a nostalgia immunity clause in his contract.

Breems

Quote from: jst01 on February 05, 2018, 04:00:22 pm
This is just flat out false.

Stuck like glue, my friend. Say goodbye to Razorback basketball forever

jst01

Quote from: Breems on February 05, 2018, 04:03:24 pm
Stuck like glue, my friend. Say goodbye to Razorback basketball forever

Neither is true.  Mike is not immune to getting fired, and he also wont ruin the basketball program by remaining coach and being average for the next 2-3 years.  It just gets annoying being duped every year I keep thinking..."yep, this could be the year I get to watch the Hogs play in the sweet 16"

grayhawg

Hopefully he retires after this season

HogBreath

Quote from: grayhawg on February 05, 2018, 04:44:25 pm
Hopefully he retires after this season
Far and away the best option.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

rljjr

That's actually only partially true. Google his career HC stats. "Winning" has decreased at every stop along the way for Mike. The longer he's around, the worse his winning percentage. Nothing will ever "fall in place." It takes work. He's getting outworked by nearly every team in the SEC.

hobhog

The extension was given by Long before the "sellouts". Your "person" doesn't have whole story.

But I do agree MA won't get fired this year. It's a shame because next year will just be a wasted year.

Obviously Football runs the AD office and letting MA hang around just solidifies that point.

GoHogs1091

Ben Howland, Will Wade, Avery Johnson, and Mike White will probably make Anderson "retire" before he wants to.

May need to also add Billy Kennedy and Frank Martin to that list.

Breems

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 05, 2018, 09:02:08 pm
Ben Howland MSU's coach, Will Wade, Avery Johnson, and Mike White will probably make Anderson "retire" before he wants to.

May need to also add Billy Kennedy and Frank Martin to that list.

Kennedy isn't exactly tearing it up. Their fans want him gone.