Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could have 3 BIG10 teams in the playoff

Started by hogsanity, November 29, 2016, 10:06:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: HamSammich on November 30, 2016, 08:57:12 am
It's very possible but most people in Vegas forums believe that the committee would put only two big10 teams in and have someone leapfrog the third. It's pure chaos if this scenario plays out.

I just wonder who they would leapfrog up. If both Clem and Wash lose, the next 3 teams are all big10 teams. Do they jump the big10cg winner up, leaping them over Mich who beat both Pn St and Wisc? Do they jump #8 CO up, who lost to Mich? If the big10 is the best conf, I see no way to jump Colorado over the big10 champ.

I almost hope it happens because the guys on ESPN that debate this stuff might come to blows over it, and if Mich gets left out, Harbaugh would provide an epic rant. Plus I really do not like Clemson.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

If we use espn.com's current power rankings, which are subjective but what the heck, these are the matchups you'd have if all 14 Big 10 teams played the 14 SEC teams:

Ohio State (11-1) vs. Alabama (12-0)
Michigan (10-2) vs. Auburn (8-4)
Wisconsin (10-2) vs. Florida (8-3)
Penn State (10-2) vs. LSU (7-4)
Iowa (8-4) vs. Texas A&M (8-4)
Nebraska (9-3) vs. Tennessee (8-4)
Minnesota (8-4) vs. Georgia (7-5)
Northwestern (6-6) vs. Kentucky (7-5)
Indiana (6-6) vs. Vanderbilt (6-6)
Maryland (6-6) vs. Arkansas (7-5)
Michigan State (3-9) vs. South Carolina (6-6)
Purdue (3-9) vs. Mississippi State (5-7)
Illinois (3-9) vs. Ole Miss (5-7)
Rutgers (2-10) vs. Missouri (4-8)

I'd give the SEC the edge in the top game, the Big 10 the edge in the next 3 or 4, and then the SEC in most of the rest.  I don't see the "middle tier" advantage for the Big 10 that's been referenced.  And at the bottom, the SEC is clearly better.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 30, 2016, 09:06:24 am
If we use espn.com's current power rankings, which are subjective but what the heck, these are the matchups you'd have if all 14 Big 10 teams played the 14 SEC teams:

I'd give the SEC the edge in the top game, the Big 10 the edge in the next 3 or 4, and then the SEC in most of the rest.  I don't see the "middle tier" advantage for the Big 10 that's been referenced.  And at the bottom, the SEC is clearly better.

I think the SEC would go 9-5 in that scenario. But yes the big 10 likely wins games 2-4.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HamSammich

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2016, 09:04:10 am
I just wonder who they would leapfrog up. If both Clem and Wash lose, the next 3 teams are all big10 teams. Do they jump the big10cg winner up, leaping them over Mich who beat both Pn St and Wisc? Do they jump #8 CO up, who lost to Mich? If the big10 is the best conf, I see no way to jump Colorado over the big10 champ.

I almost hope it happens because the guys on ESPN that debate this stuff might come to blows over it, and if Mich gets left out, Harbaugh would provide an epic rant. Plus I really do not like Clemson.

They are saying Colorado or one of the okies. I sort of agree because I don't think the committee will have the balls to put three big ten teams in. The backlash could be epic. But leapfrogging with a Colorado would have an epic backlash as well.

Everyone wants to increase the number of teams in the playoffs.... we still would have this chaos unless you went to 16 teams... 16 teams would have its own issues such as causing conferences dissolving because of schools going independent.

Someone posted in sarcasm we should also throw away our computers and use paper and pen again. Well the irony in that is that the bcs had it right when computers selected the top two teams. They nailed it every year until fans whined and whined about not enough human element. Then fans whined and whined for more than two teams to play for a championship.... all the whiners have done is give us true cfb fans a inferior product.

HamSammich

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2016, 09:09:15 am
I think the SEC would go 9-5 in that scenario. But yes the big 10 likely wins games 2-4.

I've got a different record but I'll copy and paste this into another website and copy and paste what the experts say the outcome would be.

jm

Any team that doesn't win their own league shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs. There should never be a situation where playing in the league championship game can knock a team out and be replaced by a team that was not good win their own division.

hogsanity

Quote from: HamSammich on November 30, 2016, 09:11:29 am
They are saying Colorado or one of the okies. I sort of agree because I don't think the committee will have the balls to put three big ten teams in. The backlash could be epic. But leapfrogging with a Colorado would have an epic backlash as well.

Everyone wants to increase the number of teams in the playoffs.... we still would have this chaos unless you went to 16 teams... 16 teams would have its own issues such as causing conferences dissolving because of schools going independent.

Someone posted in sarcasm we should also throw away our computers and use paper and pen again. Well the irony in that is that the bcs had it right when computers selected the top two teams. They nailed it every year until fans whined and whined about not enough human element. Then fans whined and whined for more than two teams to play for a championship.... all the whiners have done is give us true cfb fans a inferior product.

I wonder how many college football fans really whined, or was it just vocal fans of certain teams every year ( usually the teams ranked 3rd and 4th )? ESPN wanted a playoff as soon as they got the tv rights to all the bcs bowls.

Unless the Hogs were going to be in it, I never really cared who was in the bcscg. Sure it was fun to debate and talk about, conjecture leading up to the final rankings, but in the end I just wanted to watch the game.

hogcard1964

Ohio St. shouldn't be in the discussion right now at all.  I'm sorry, they're good, but they just haven't earned it.  They used the argument of not being elgible to enter the playoffs against TCU and Baylor two years ago because they didn't play for their division championship in order to vault Ohio St. into the playoffs, so the same reasoning should apply now.  If they insist on sticking a Big 10 team in for whatever reason, they have to make it the winner of the Ped St/Wisconsin game.

HogFansReunited

I put who I thought would win in bold.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hogcard1964

hawgdavis

Say what you will. I think the only team that can beat Bama is Clemson and I don't think they will lose to VT.

I also for some reason thought that you had to be a conference champ to get in or was that just ESPNs agenda when it looked like the sec might get 2 in but now it's the B1G so it's ok

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 30, 2016, 09:26:29 am
Ohio St. shouldn't be in the discussion right now at all.  I'm sorry, they're good, but they just haven't earned it.  They used the argument of not being elgible to enter the playoffs against TCU and Baylor two years ago because they didn't play for their division championship in order to vault Ohio St. into the playoffs, so the same reasoning should apply now.  If they insist on sticking a Big 10 team in for whatever reason, they have to make it the winner of the Ped St/Wisconsin game.

LOL. You don't have a clue. Those teams all had one lose in that scenario.  Not the same thing here.

Ohio state lost one game on the road. They deserve to be there. Ohio state and Bama are both in nour after what
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: hawgdavis on November 30, 2016, 11:43:16 am
Say what you will. I think the only team that can beat Bama is Clemson and I don't think they will lose to VT.

I also for some reason thought that you had to be a conference champ to get in or was that just ESPNs agenda when it looked like the sec might get 2 in but now it's the B1G so it's ok

There's nothing that says you have to be a conference champion.

It's the "four best teams"

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 11:52:38 am

LOL. You don't have a clue. Those teams all had one lose in that scenario.  Not the same thing here.

Ohio state lost one game on the road. They deserve to be there. Ohio state and Bama are both in nour after what

Don't care.  Win your division and you're in.  If not, grab some bench and enjoy the show.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 11:53:38 am

There's nothing that says you have to be a conference champion.

It's the "four best teams"

Still wonder how you can be one of the 4 best yet you were not even good enough to win your own league. At least that is the sentiment most people would have.

longpig

Quote from: Trystran on November 29, 2016, 10:16:53 pm
If the committee and media had their way, they'd pack it full of Big 10 teams.

Personally, I don't think they're all that great. I'll admit the SEC has had a down year, but I don't think their top 4 would have near that record if they were in the SEC, or the ACC for that matter.

Media/CFPC has been stacking this playoff up for the most  $$$$ for weeks now. They've known exactly who they want in for a long time. Don't be surprised if Washington gets bumped EVEN if they do win.

I can't even begin to fathom how a person can get themselves so out of touch with reality that they can come up with this variety of crap.
Don't be scared, be smart.

code red

Who wouldn't wanta see Michigan and OSU again???  I would.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

k.c.hawg

November 30, 2016, 12:13:25 pm #67 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:55:27 pm by k.c.hawg
Quote from: hawgdavis on November 30, 2016, 11:43:16 am

When this has come up was in two scenarios, neither being ESPN's agenda. Baylor and TCU were named co champs of the Big 12 with 8-1 conference records even though Baylor beat TCU head to head. Some thought if Baylor had been declared conference champion that it might have enhanced their resume with the committee. The other scenario is the discussion of expanding the playoff so that all P5 conference champions would get an auto bid.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2016, 12:06:21 pm
Still wonder how you can be one of the 4 best yet you were not even good enough to win your own league. At least that is the sentiment most people would have.

See Alabama in 2011

It happens

rhames

If arkansas was in Ohio states shoes your tunes would all be different.

It's the 4 best teams

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 12:14:59 pm

See Alabama in 2011

It happens

According to the BOT, you have to win your division.  Can't have it another way during a different year because Ohio St. may provide more tv revenue.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: longpig on November 30, 2016, 12:08:26 pm
I can't even begin to fathom how a person can get themselves so out of touch with reality that they can come up with this variety of crap.

I guess someone crawled out of a cave after 20 years in a year when the Big10 is good and thinks this is the way it has been the last decade. ESPN and the national media have drooled all over the SEC for 2 decades.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 12:14:59 pm

See Alabama in 2011

It happens

But that was under a different system ( but was the situation that drove us into what we have now ).

I am not even saying Ohio St is not one of the best 4 teams, but the assertion that both Ohio St and Mich are better than Pn st ( assuming pn state beat Wisc which is a big if ) is somewhat lacking in substance. I think that is the one people will have the biggest gripe about. Say Wash loses and Clem wins & Pn St wins. If Mich gets in, and pn state does not, then 2 big10 teams, neither of which were good enough to win their league, are in the playoff but their league champ is not, that is not going to make many people happy.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 30, 2016, 12:18:41 pm
According to the BOT, you have to win your division.  Can't have it another way during a different year because Ohio St. may provide more tv revenue.

The bot??

Huh??

As always you do not have a clue what you're talking about

hogcard1964

Quote from: k.c.hawg on November 30, 2016, 12:18:50 pm
I guess someone crawled out of a cave after 20 years in a year when the Big10 is good and thinks this is the way it has been the last decade. ESPN and the national media have drooled all over the SEC for 2 decades.

Sure, but the reason this system (the playoff format) was created was to prevent this from happening.  ...and the unwritten criteria is you have to win your division.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 12:20:21 pm

The bot??

Huh??

As always you do not have a clue what you're talking about

I meant PTB.   

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2016, 12:20:04 pm
But that was under a different system ( but was the situation that drove us into what we have now ).

I am not even saying Ohio St is not one of the best 4 teams, but the assertion that both Ohio St and Mich are better than Pn st ( assuming pn state beat Wisc which is a big if ) is somewhat lacking in substance. I think that is the one people will have the biggest gripe about. Say Wash loses and Clem wins & Pn St wins. If Mich gets in, and pn state does not, then 2 big10 teams, neither of which were good enough to win their league, are in the playoff but their league champ is not, that is not going to make many people happy.

Looks at resumes.

I can get behind Michigan not being ranked 5. More than likely the big 10 winner jumps them.  Ohio state most likely will be 4 sunday due to not winning their conference

Again it's the "four best teams"

They look at everything.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 30, 2016, 12:21:56 pm
I meant PTB.   

Where have they said this??

They haven't. They said they factor in everything

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 12:23:15 pm

Looks at resumes.

I can get behind Michigan not being ranked 5. More than likely the big 10 winner jumps them.  Ohio state most likely will be 4 sunday due to not winning their conference

They look at everything.

One of the "best" teams can't win their conference?  Let alone their division?  Unless you're ESPN and Kirk Herbstreit that's a tough sell.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 30, 2016, 12:25:14 pm
One of the "best" teams can't win their conference?  Let alone their division?  Unless you're ESPN and Kirk Herbstreit that's a tough sell.

I've pointed out to you this can happen

hogsanity

Looks at resumes.

They look at everything.

committee said last night that Pn St was not even that close to Michigan, and that Mich was just barely behind Wash ( said they debated those 2 for 2 hours ).

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2016, 12:28:46 pm
committee said last night that Pn St was not even that close to Michigan, and that Mich was just barely behind Wash ( said they debated those 2 for 2 hours ).

Awesome.  That can totally change sunday

FATHAWG08

I remember when all the critics were criticizing when Bama & LSU had a rematch in the National Championship Game when LSU last beat Bama in the regular season. And the biggest critic was the  Commissioner of the Big 10 and Little Kirbie!!
I love off season Football!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2016, 12:28:46 pm

...but if Penn St. beats Wisky and wins their conference, and if Washington or Clemson lose, they're in.

hogcard1964

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on November 30, 2016, 12:33:34 pm
I remember when all the critics were criticizing when Bama & LSU had a rematch in the National Championship Game when LSU last beat Bama in the regular season. And the biggest critic was the  Commissioner of the Big 10 and Little Kirbie!!

+1000

Exactly

hogsanity

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 30, 2016, 12:33:37 pm
...but if Penn St. beats Wisky and wins their conference, and if Washington or Clemson lose, they're in.

In that scenario I agree the winner of the big10cg is in, along with two big10 teams that did not even play for their conf title. I see no way the committee is going to jump CO into the playoff over a MIch team that beat CO Nor will they jump a big12 team that far when they do not even play a conf cham game.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 30, 2016, 12:20:55 pm
Sure, but the reason this system (the playoff format) was created was to prevent this from happening.  ...and the unwritten criteria is you have to win your division.
the reason for that was the rematch of Bama/LSU
I love off season Football!!

rhames

Sportster365

The BIG 10 is highly overrated. The top heavy got top heavy because there are so many bottom feeders in that conference.
Indiana - 4-5
Maryland - 3-6
Michigan St. 1-8
Rutgers - 0-9
Minnesota - 5-4
Northwestern - 5-4
Illinois - 2-7
Purdue - 1-8

Those 8 cupcakes above plus two more non-conference gimmies and you've mustard up a 10 win season easy.

Iowa would be bottom feeders here in SEC country. Nebraska, Wisconsin and Penn ST. middle of the pack at best in the Southeastern Conference.

ACC from top to bottom, much better than BIG 10 this year.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 12:36:41 pm

Ohhhhhh. A blog.  That's your source   :-\

Would the Big 10's commissioner's opinion sway you?

A conference non-champ has yet to make the field. In the past, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany lobbied for the importance of winning your league while former SEC commissioner Mike Slive stressed the playoff should be about the four best teams.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/front-row/2016/11/tfr-11-29-big-ten-problem.html

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 30, 2016, 12:43:01 pm
Would the Big 10's commissioner's opinion sway you?

A conference non-champ has yet to make the field. In the past, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany lobbied for the importance of winning your league while former SEC commissioner Mike Slive stressed the playoff should be about the four best teams.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/front-row/2016/11/tfr-11-29-big-ten-problem.html

That's great and ironic but doesn't mean it is a rule of the committee

hogsanity

Quote from: Sportster365 on November 30, 2016, 12:37:32 pm
The BIG 10 is highly overrated. The top heavy got top heavy because there are so many bottom feeders in that conference.
Indiana - 4-5
Maryland - 3-6
Michigan St. 1-8
Rutgers - 0-9
Minnesota - 5-4
Northwestern - 5-4
Illinois - 2-7
Purdue - 1-8

Those 8 cupcakes above plus two more non-conference gimmies and you've mustard up a 10 win season easy.

Iowa would be bottom feeders here in SEC country. Nebraska, Wisconsin and Penn ST. middle of the pack at best in the Southeastern Conference.

ACC from top to bottom, much better than BIG 10 this year.

Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, Mich St and Purdue were all wretchedly bad.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 12:46:09 pm

the committee was always careful not to have any written rules.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on November 30, 2016, 12:46:09 pm

Only when it's convenient.   ;)

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 30, 2016, 12:55:06 pm
Only when it's convenient.   ;)

I won't disagree there.  I'd expect every ad or commissioner to campaign whatever argument helps them at said time

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on November 30, 2016, 12:52:22 pm
the committee was always careful not to have any written rules.

That's my point.   There are no rules

jm

Looks at resumes.

They look at everything.

Best 4 teams based on someones opinion. That is the problem with your answer. Should have won doesn't count. Arkansas should have beat Missouri but they did not play up to their potential. That is why the L is next to that game on the schedule. Better only counts if you win otherwise we can just skip the season and go right to the playoffs with the teams who should be better on paper.

rhames

Quote from: jm on November 30, 2016, 01:12:23 pm
Best 4 teams based on someones opinion. That is the problem with your answer. Should have won doesn't count. Arkansas should have beat Missouri but they did not play up to their potential. That is why the L is next to that game on the schedule. Better only counts if you win otherwise we can just skip the season and go right to the playoffs with the teams who should be better on paper.

So teams who lost 2 games should get in over a  team with one loss??

Teams from the same conference

?

Paradox