Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exactly why some did not want a playoff in college football

Started by hogsanity, November 29, 2016, 08:13:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: mweston on November 29, 2016, 01:53:40 pm
I understand and that's why I would say we need a bigger playoff with at least one at large berth.  However, the committee has shunned teams in the past that haven't won their conference championship.  If they want to commit to that line of thinking, then they can't put Ohio St. in the CFP.   I guess we will see what matters most this year, a CC or $$$ and good matchups.

Ohio St and Bama are in, PERIOD. The committee is just praying that 2 out of the 3 of Pn st/Clem/Wash lose so they do not have to justify Ohio St. I'll buy Ohio State if Wisc beats Pn St, because Wisc lost to both Mich & OSu. I'll buy Ohio St if the PAC 12 7 Acc winners both have 2 or more losses. But I don't buy Osu over a 1 loss Washington, and/or a 2 loss Pn St that beat OSU and won the league OSu is in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2016, 01:58:19 pm
Ohio St and Bama are in, PERIOD. The committee is just praying that 2 out of the 3 of Pn st/Clem/Wash lose so they do not have to justify Ohio St. I'll buy Ohio State if Wisc beats Pn St, because Wisc lost to both Mich & OSu. I'll buy Ohio St if the PAC 12 7 Acc winners both have 2 or more losses. But I don't buy Osu over a 1 loss Washington, and/or a 2 loss Pn St that beat OSU and won the league OSu is in.

Oh St best non conf win OU on the road
Washington's - Idaho?  Couldn't be Rutgers or Portland St.  They scheduled like our basketball program does in the ooc. 

Easily justifiable if both finish with a loss. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: jethro on November 29, 2016, 12:42:27 pm
A long time ago (when I was a boy up to and including the years after Ii got out of college), When each conference played for a destination bowl (Sugar, Orange, Cotton Rose), many teams were satisfied at the end of the season.  Argue all you want about the national champ.  One poll says team A, one says team B.  Many finished on a good note and fans were proud and pretty happy.

Then we decided we needed a "true" champ.  So we wind up with some series of information to get it down to teams to play for the championship.   Now one team's fans and administration is happy.  Everyone else feels like they are less than and have to do something to change it. 

Ah, progress...(yeah, yeah.  Get off my lawn.  I know.)

I was satisfied when we capped off an 11-2 season and #5 ranking in the Cotton Bowl against Kansas State.  I would have been overjoyed if we had scooped and scored to win the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State.  Being satisfied in those cases didn't require playing for the national championship.

I'm not so sure things are as different for fans today as you seem to think they are.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 29, 2016, 09:50:40 am
What if it doesn't and you end up with several 3 or 4 loss teams in the playoff? I'd much rather have the committee pick the 4 or 8 best teams and not even broach the subject of auto bids. Does anyone really want to see a team that was middling all season but played in such a weak division that they got into a title game and got lucky and won it? I personally don't think that should be the case.
100% agree with you.  Last thing I want to see is a Va Tech or a UF in the playoff just because they got lucky one game and won their conf championship game.   I would do away with Conference championship games altogether.  Make every league 10 teams like the Big 12 and play round robin so it's equal scheduling.  I know that will never happen so in the meantime I say pick the 4 best teams based on win-loss record, strength of schedule, etc., like they do now.  USC may be a top 4 team right now but they lost 3 games so too bad; they don't deserve to be in the playoff.  The regular season still matters.  I don't think a 2 loss team should make it unless there are no one loss teams that don't merit consideration.

One thing I don't like about the playoff system is that seems to be all anyone cares about and all the talk shows talk about.  No one cares about teams no in the playoff unless you are a fan of said team.  Heck.I wish the committee didn't even publish their rankings until the season is complete so people would stop talking about how they are flawed. Enjoy the games, worry about rankings after the season. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 29, 2016, 02:22:25 pm
One thing I don't like about the playoff system is that seems to be all anyone cares about and all the talk shows talk about.  No one cares about teams no in the playoff unless you are a fan of said team.  Heck.I wish the committee didn't even publish their rankings until the season is complete so people would stop talking about how they are flawed. Enjoy the games, worry about rankings after the season.

But then what would ESPN do to fill all those hours of programming in the fall dedicated to unveiling the rankings and then discussing them for hours upon hours?  Maybe go back to Australian rules football like back in the early '80s? 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 29, 2016, 02:25:07 pm
But then what would ESPN do to fill all those hours of programming in the fall dedicated to unveiling the rankings and then discussing them for hours upon hours?  Maybe go back to Australian rules football like back in the early '80s? 

I liked me some Australian rules football.  America's Cup yachting, too.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 29, 2016, 02:32:00 pm

My old roomates in college and I used to bet on Australian rules football games on ESPN.  We didn't know the rules but that didn't stop us.

Good times...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2016, 08:13:18 am
We are looking at the very real possibility of having not 1 but 2 teams that did not win their conference be in the final 4. Not only did they not win their conference they will be from the same conference that they did not win. Tell me, how can 2 teams that did not win their league be considered 2 of the top 4 teams in college football? Actually, if Bama loses to Fla they will still be in so the playoff could have 3 of the 4 teams that did not even win their conference.

This is why they wanted to go from a hybrid system with the bcs to a straight committee to pick the teams though, because they want to pick teams for ratings, not because they are the best 4 teams. This is also why teams like Arkansas are only ever going to be in the top 4 if they go 13-0, because if the committee has any way at all to do it they are going to make sure it is either a blue blood like Mich & Ohio St or a real cinderella like Western Mich ( no they are not getting ) or some such team.

...and that's why we need an eight team playoff pronto.

colemjh

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 29, 2016, 01:05:17 pm
1978, for example, when all hell broke loose on NYD and we had as good (if not better) an argument as anyone else for the #1 spot.

Yeah, NYD was a special day when I was a kid.  So special that my dad bought a small black-and-white portable TV to sit on top of the living room TV so we could watch the Sugar Bowl and Cotton Bowl at the same time.  (Wonder if anybody else did that?)

We used to do the same thing. Bring another TV into the living room.

hawgsalot

Quote from: longpig on November 29, 2016, 09:08:39 am
Then it takes the season from 14 to 15 games for the champion.  Attrition plays a bigger factor giving teams with better recruiting/depth a decisive advantage.  Or NCAA could allow 10 to 15 more players, which would increase the costs of running a program significantly.  Either way the top recruiters gain even more advantage than they already have.  We wanted 4 when it was 2, now that we have 4 we  want 8.

You are spot on here, I can't see why any Arkansas fan would want 8.  Adding that extra game is a killer to teams without superior depth, remember Auburn how worn down and beat down we were.  Can you imagine trying to face 3 elite teams in a row.  Only option is add scholly's ok yeah give the elite's bama and OSU 5 more 5 stars to choose from, no thanks.  Extra week off well let's just go ahead and call it the NFL.  4 is good for us, win the sec and we're in.  Somebody go get Saban to retire and we have a legit shot.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 29, 2016, 02:33:43 pm
My old roomates in college and I used to bet on Australian rules football games on ESPN.  We didn't know the rules but that didn't stop us.

Good times...

My son and I still sit up watching Aussie rules ( its on one of the fox channels on Friday nights LATE now ), and we have no idea what the rule are either except what we can pick up by watching.

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 29, 2016, 02:16:31 pm
I was satisfied when we capped off an 11-2 season and #5 ranking in the Cotton Bowl against Kansas State.  I would have been overjoyed if we had scooped and scored to win the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State.  Being satisfied in those cases didn't require playing for the national championship.

I'm not so sure things are as different for fans today as you seem to think they are.

So you were satisfied with not having a shot at the title?

What is different now is that it used to be about who was going to make a bowl and where were they going. Now it is all about the playoff. Heck, even winning your league is not enough now you may get passed by someone you beat that does not win your league.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogarusa

Only in college football do you have to stay undefeated to be considered great. On a neutral field w/ 4 weeks of game prep, who is beating Michigan or Ohio St? They are both better than Penn St/Wiscy.

The 5 best teams are Bama, Ohio St, Mich, Clemson, and washington. 4 of these will be in the playoffs
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogsfan31

IMO they should realign the conferences now that the CFP is in place. The Big 12 should be made to acquire 2 more teams to complete a 12 team conference. Preseason ranking should go out the window, so should in season rankings.

The top two teams from each conference/division should play for their conference championship. Whoever wins is awarded the Conference Championship and receives a bid to play in the College Footballs playoffs.

Take all conference winners and put them in. Have the teams play each other, rank best records and strength of schedules among the winning schools to seed out the playoffs. Best team in the nation wins CFP.

longpig

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 29, 2016, 02:32:00 pm

I'm the guy doing a slo mo of the ozzie rules refs when the hogs score.  Much cooler than American Football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKm4kstZqM
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 29, 2016, 04:35:44 pm
Only in college football do you have to stay undefeated to be considered great. On a neutral field w/ 4 weeks of game prep, who is beating Michigan or Ohio St? They are both better than Penn St/Wiscy.

The 5 best teams are Bama, Ohio St, Mich, Clemson, and washington. 4 of these will be in the playoffs

Iiiiiiiiii don't know bout that,  thinkn Wisconsin leapfrogs Michigan if they smash Penn. State and Tigers or Huskies lose.  Gotta atleast win decisively though. Something disgusing about mentioning Penn State

Don't be scared, be smart.

Hawghiggs

I hate the playoff, and wish they would have just expanded the BCS bowl line up. But if they do expand the playoffs. Then Arkansas might as well go to another conference.