Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Once A Behind Always A Behind

Started by thefisher, November 28, 2016, 12:59:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scottwillrazbackfan1

Quote from: hoglady on November 29, 2016, 04:59:44 pm
The one thing Nutt could do that we haven't seen much of since is find defensive talent.
Bo Mattingly pointed out today that in Nutt's years here we had 21 defensive players drafted.
We've had 5 since he left.

I'm curious who recruited those 5.

PorkRinds

hoglady

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 29, 2016, 05:44:31 pm
Bielema and Petrino.

Who is the 5th player?

Petrino - Flowers, Mitchell, Philon

Bielema - Spaight
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PorkRinds

Quote from: hoglady on November 29, 2016, 05:49:42 pm
Who is the 5th player?

Bielema - Spaight

Jake Bequette maybe?

PorkRinds

hoglady

Yep, Jake was drafted in 2012 / so I guess he would have been a Petrino recruit.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

People would likely understand  how a coach with a very good team with a good record and #5 on the Playoff list  could lose 2 in a row and not get pissed.  Petrino was likely a little touchy going in there and ready to blow.  I thought he held his temper pretty well.  He sort of reminds me of Saban in the press department.  Of course we all know Saban, who we would all chip in monthly for the rest of our lives to have as coach for a year so we could feel how it is to have a coach who gives a damn and is willing to work his ass off and demand the assistants and players work their asses off to be successful.

I would be mad at Petrino to if I was a Louisville fan.  What the hell is he trying to do, imitate Bret Bielema.  If he is, he can't even do that well.  You cannot start with 9 wins and have a chance at imitation of Bret Bielema.

ChitownHawg

Who is the 5th player?

Bielema - Spaight

CBP recruiting defense = HDN recruiting offense.

Neither knew what to do with them.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 29, 2016, 08:59:41 pm
CBP recruiting defense = HDN recruiting offense.

Neither knew what to do with them.  ;D

Petrino's defenses never looked as bad as what we have now.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoglady on November 29, 2016, 10:01:14 pm

Sadly that's not saying much.

But the point was both those coaches had very good players and could not win a championship with them.

The current defense is just bad and I think a lot of it is coaching. In 2014 we had the athletes and the defense was good. We also had a different dline coach. Coincidence?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

HoggusMaximus

I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that we need to have a change on defense.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 30, 2016, 06:24:45 am
I don't think anyone is arguing the fact that we need to have a change on defense.

Exactly. Not sure why our current defense was brought up as we all know it is bad.

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 30, 2016, 06:18:25 am
Sadly that's not saying much.

But the point was both those coaches had very good players and could not win a championship with them.

The current defense is just bad and I think a lot of it is coaching. In 2014 we had the athletes and the defense was good. We also had a different dline coach. Coincidence?

AT this point, I don't worry about or really expect championships.
I would just like to be relevant enough to not be an afterthought, good enough to take advantage of down SEC years (like this year), not lose games we should win (Toledo, Missouri) and figure out how to QUIT blowing games in the second half.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: thefisher on November 28, 2016, 12:59:56 pm
Bobby Petrino Storms out of Press Conference:

one quote from the article-

"Kentucky's win over Louisville made this week's relations between Petrino and the media absolutely hilarious.

First, Petrino blocked "Kentucky media" from being able to speak to his players, which led to some genius stuff, like KSR coming up with made-up quotes from Louisville's practice "because we can't go."

Then, Louisville players refused to say "Kentucky" while talking to the media. Then, Kentucky shocked the country and upset Louisville. Finally, Petrino goes on this weird tantrum and storms out.

What a rough couple weeks it's been for him. Couldn't happen to a better guy, right?"

Bwaahaaa.  Louisville completely deserves all the crap they get for hiring him. It will fully implode there within the next two seasons. He simply can't help himself.

article can be seen in full here - along with the awkward stare back/down picture CBP aimed at the reporters as he exited the room -

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2016/11/28/13758328/bobby-petrino-not-happy-kentucky-beating-louisville

Petrino is a choker, not a champ.  He's an offensive Joe Lee Dunn.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hoglady

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 30, 2016, 10:38:50 am
Petrino is a choker, not a champ.  He's an offensive Joe Lee Dunn.

He may be, but at least he's good enough to get his team to meaningful games.
To games that actually matter in the grand scheme of college football.

Arkansas hasn't had one of those since he got fired and it's not looking like we'll have one in the near future.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hoglady on November 30, 2016, 10:46:40 am

Arkansas hasn't had one of those since he got fired and it's not looking like we'll have one in the near future.

Number of SEC West coaches that have won 10 games in a season:  All of them, except Orgeron.  Petrino's ability to win 10 games on occasion doesn't make him some kind of a rare jewel.  Lots of non-jerkwads can do it.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 29, 2016, 02:55:16 pm
I'm more in the "I appreciate what he did for us, but he had to be fired" camp.

Same. And I'll add "That success wasn't going to continue because he was not recruiting well and I'm glad he's not our coach anymore because he's a POS. But damn those 2 years were fun." to that sentiment.

wildturkey8

Who is the 5th player?

Bielema - Spaight
Tevin Mitchell - Petrino       Having said that, let's not get too emotional, the program is on better footing than it was 4 years ago.  I think it is time to let this to play out.  My hunch is that the SEC is changing.  Let's see where this leads.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 28, 2016, 01:25:05 pm
Still posting about a guy who hasn't been associated with us in half a decade.

Nice.
still talk about Lou Holtz from 3 1/2 decades ago, too. You know, statistically speaking, that is 700% longer ago!

What's your point?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

gmarv

bp gave us a taste of how good it could be right be for he drop a big pile of dog poo on us so my hope for this a*@ is nothing but 30 second press conferences from now on.

Pigsknuckles

Kentucky seems to have BP's number. The 2008 loss really stung. When I need a disturbing example as to how you can lose a game late, that is the one I go to. However, after Mizzou last week, I now have another disturbing example.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ChitownHawg

Go back and look at his losses this year and then tell me which games were meaningful?

longpig

Is he required to wear the hats with the giant loser 'L' ?  That's the part of the contract I'd struggle with.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 30, 2016, 12:33:07 pm
Go back and look at his losses this year and then tell me which games were meaningful?

Florida St, Clemson, Houston.
Florida St allowed them to be in the playoff conversation.
A win against Clemson puts them squarely in the early Top 4 (that was one of my favorite games of the year - a fun football to watch).
A win against Houston would have kept their slim hopes alive.

Deep Shoat

Are you just a big Petrino fan, or what? 

If not, why do you feel this compulsion to constantly defend him?

Let it go.
All Gas, No Brakes!

gchamblee

Quote from: hoglady on November 30, 2016, 12:53:20 pm
A win against Clemson puts them squarely in the early Top 4 (that was one of my favorite games of the year - a fun football to watch).

you said CBP got his teams to the meaningful games, and then listed games that were on his schedule regardless of what his record was going into them. You also said we haven't made it to a meaningful game since he has been fired, but failed to mention that just this year alone we have played bama, lsu, florida, auburn and aTm. all of those were meaningful games by your metric. getting your team to a meaningful game means a game that wasnt already scheduled to be played. a game that has to be earned, like a bowl game. yes, florida state allowed them to be in the playoff discussion but as it turned out wasnt a very good team after all. had we beaten aTm we would have been in the conversation as well because at the time they were undefeated.

i know that you are trying to defend cbp against cbb but there are better ways to do it than just making stuff up.

scottwillrazbackfan1

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 29, 2016, 05:52:33 pm
Chris smith?
Looks like the only suitable defense BB has placed on the field were with BP's recruits, With the exception of Spaight.

scottwillrazbackfan1

Quote from: gchamblee on November 30, 2016, 01:28:36 pm
you said CBP got his teams to the meaningful games, and then listed games that were on his schedule regardless of what his record was going into them. You also said we haven't made it to a meaningful game since he has been fired, but failed to mention that just this year alone we have played bama, lsu, florida, auburn and aTm. all of those were meaningful games by your metric. getting your team to a meaningful game means a game that wasnt already scheduled to be played. a game that has to be earned, like a bowl game. yes, florida state allowed them to be in the playoff discussion but as it turned out wasnt a very good team after all. had we beaten aTm we would have been in the conversation as well because at the time they were undefeated.

i know that you are trying to defend cbp against cbb but there are better ways to do it than just making stuff up.

If we remember correctly BP had the hogs possibly one game from the Playoffs in 2011, before losing to LSU 31-14 after being up 14-0 going into the 2nd quarter. This was the game the hogs played after the death of Garrett Uekman.  i would say that was a very meaningful game at the end of the season, with something else on the line except the "boot".

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoglady on November 30, 2016, 12:53:20 pm

But they lost, so those are not meaningful games. If you count them as meaningful then you have to count our Bama, A&M, and LSU loses as meaningful.

Because if we had won those games we would have been in the playoff discussion. We lost and we weren't. They lost and they weren't.

gchamblee

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on November 30, 2016, 02:53:25 pm

If we remember correctly BP had the hogs possibly one game from the Playoffs in 2011, before losing to LSU 31-14 after being up 14-0 going into the 2nd quarter. This was the game the hogs played after the death of Garrett Uekman.  i would say that was a very meaningful game at the end of the season, with something else on the line except the "boot".

im not sure why you quoted me 3 times in the same post, but thank you i think. so what youre saying is, bobby almost got us to a meaningful game?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on November 30, 2016, 01:28:36 pm

Exactly.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on November 30, 2016, 02:53:25 pm

I believe playoffs started in 2014 not 2011.

Redhogs

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on November 30, 2016, 11:40:31 am
Kentucky seems to have BP's number. The 2008 loss really stung. When I need a disturbing example as to how you can lose a game late, that is the one I go to. However, after Mizzou last week, I now have another disturbing example.
2008 was BP'S first year. MU was BB fourth year..not that it makes a damn bit of difference. B ert's here forever I'm afraid.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ATU HOG

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 30, 2016, 02:55:04 pm
But they lost, so those are not meaningful games. If you count them as meaningful then you have to count our Bama, A&M, and LSU loses as meaningful.

Because if we had won those games we would have been in the playoff discussion. We lost and we weren't. They lost and they weren't.
They were meaningful meaning that had the game had implications on their season.  Arkansas had a meaningful game vs A&M.  Had they won that game we would have been undefeated going into Bama.  Just because you lose doesn't make it any less meaningful.  The game itself is what is meaningful.  You're either in contention or you're not.

The last "big" game we've been a part of was 2011.  It was a meaningful game in the fact we had a chance at a national championship game had we won.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Redhogs on November 30, 2016, 02:59:31 pm
2008 was BP'S first year. MU was BB fourth year..not that it makes a damn bit of difference. B ert's here forever I'm afraid.

I left out MS from last year, I've ranted long enough about that debacle.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

scottwillrazbackfan1

Actually, It was my inadequate key-stroking....
I wouldnt consider it" almost" a meaningful game.
It was a meaningful game in my opinion, a top 5 matchup with possible berth to another BCS bowl.  Also it was 41-17 score.

rickfahr

Quote from: BadHog on November 28, 2016, 10:50:15 pm
I wish BB would be half as pissed about going 7-5 and losing a game that should have been a W for sure.

This.

longpig

Quote from: hoglady on November 29, 2016, 10:01:14 pm

That Willy sho could coach.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ATU HOG on November 30, 2016, 03:02:34 pm
They were meaningful meaning that had the game had implications on their season.  Arkansas had a meaningful game vs A&M.  Had they won that game we would have been undefeated going into Bama.  Just because you lose doesn't make it any less meaningful.  The game itself is what is meaningful.  You're either in contention or you're not.

The last "big" game we've been a part of was 2011.  It was a meaningful game in the fact we had a chance at a national championship game had we won.

The comment that caused this line of discussion was that CBP had Louisville in meaningful games this year. Not 2011.

Those meaningful games were loses. Our meaningful games were loses.

On your 2011 point - I'm skeptical that two SEC teams with one loss each would have been selected.

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 30, 2016, 02:55:04 pm

Louisville was ranked high enough that each one of the games I mentioned had playoff implications for them.
We did not have a game of that magnitude this year because we were never ranked high enough.

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 30, 2016, 04:27:10 pm
The comment that caused this line of discussion was that CBP had Louisville in meaningful games this year. Not 2011.

Those meaningful games were loses. Our meaningful games were loses.

On your 2011 point - I'm skeptical that two SEC teams with one loss each would have been selected.

They won the Florida St game which put them in the discussion and made that Clemson game one of the most important games of the year. I think Clemson was #5 and Louisville was #3.

Wildhog

Quote from: hoglady on November 30, 2016, 04:33:00 pm
They won the Florida St game which put them in the discussion and made that Clemson game one of the most important games of the year. I think Clemson was #5 and Louisville was #3.

That was a great game. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: LSUFan on November 29, 2016, 12:27:57 am
Why still the need to hammer him on this board?

He went to Louisvile, LEW E VILLE, and got results!!

Coach Integrity Burp Bulimia can't get results at a higher tier SEC school with a no leave the bus opponent..

Nobody asked JL to fire BP, hows that integrity crap working out?

If you people want morals, go teach a damn Sunday school class.

This is FBS, the SEC particularly, and by the way, the players cuss on the field and probably have sex outside of marriage too. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Can I possibly agree more with this post above ?  No, because it hits the nail right on the head with each passing shot.  We have an AD who is into the athletes making a 2.4 grade point in physical education. Wins ? who needs them ?   Losses, well take a look at our "student athletes" grade points.  Yes, we are uncommon, uncommonly mediocre. Any team that blows a 24-7 lead to the worst Mizzou team of all time needs to not worry about a bowl game but get back to lifting and running. This team, beside the UF game, has performed below expectations in each game we've played this year. Starting out with that stellar 1 point win over LaTech to blowing a huge lead to the worst team in the SEC. Now that's progress, boys. And if you think this guy is ever going to "bring you something you Arkansas fans have never had, and SEC Championship in football", you are living in some alternate universe.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoglady on November 30, 2016, 04:33:00 pm

Why are you giving CBP's loss against Clemson more weight than our loss against A&M or Bama?

Sorry, but as an alumni I don't want to see shenanigans like the the pressed after KY. Wins are not worth putting up with that embarrassing person.

Augustus

I know I wouldn't want to see the Hogs play Louisville, this year. WOOF

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 30, 2016, 04:55:11 pm
Can I possibly agree more with this post above ?  No, because it hits the nail right on the head with each passing shot.  We have an AD who is into the athletes making a 2.4 grade point in physical education. Wins ? who needs them ?   Losses, well take a look at our "student athletes" grade points.  Yes, we are uncommon, uncommonly mediocre. Any team that blows a 24-7 lead to the worst Mizzou team of all time needs to not worry about a bowl game but get back to lifting and running. This team, beside the UF game, has performed below expectations in each game we've played this year. Starting out with that stellar 1 point win over LaTech to blowing a huge lead to the worst team in the SEC. Now that's progress, boys. And if you think this guy is ever going to "bring you something you Arkansas fans have never had, and SEC Championship in football", you are living in some alternate universe.

Well I have lived long enough to witness an LSU fan rag on our coach and a Hog fan give the LSU fan props for it.

hoglady

Quote from: Wildhog on November 30, 2016, 04:41:30 pm
That was a great game. 

That was probably my favorite game of the year / with the Ohio St v. Michigan game a close second.
Both didn't end the way I would have liked, but they were fun games to watch.

ATU HOG

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 30, 2016, 05:20:55 pm
Why are you giving CBP's loss against Clemson more weight than our loss against A&M or Bama?

Sorry, but as an alumni I don't want to see shenanigans like the the pressed after KY. Wins are not worth putting up with that embarrassing person.
He's not saying the the loss holds more weight, he's saying the game that was played was weighted more than any hog game this year.  Meaning their games were playoff implication games.  Our 1 game that held some weight was the A&M game.

I haven't seen the press conference of BP against Kentucky, but we've had our share of plenty of embarrassing moments over the last 4 years.  We've stuck our foot in our mouth too many times.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ATU HOG on November 30, 2016, 06:49:49 pm
He's not saying the the loss holds more weight, he's saying the game that was played was weighted more than any hog game this year.  Meaning their games were playoff implication games.  Our 1 game that held some weight was the A&M game.

I haven't seen the press conference of BP against Kentucky, but we've had our share of plenty of embarrassing moments over the last 4 years.  We've stuck our foot in our mouth too many times.

He is a she.  8)