Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong fired at Texas

Started by swineology, November 26, 2016, 09:47:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swineology

Longhorn NetworkVerified account
‏@LonghornNetwork
Charlie Strong has been fired. Strong went 16-21 in 3 seasons as the Texas head coach.

Bring Charlie Home

grayhawg

Quote from: swineology on November 26, 2016, 09:47:16 am
‏@LonghornNetwork
Charlie Strong has been fired. Strong went 16-21 in 3 seasons as the Texas head coach.

Bring Charlie Home
Bring Charlie home? His record is worse than Bielema's in an easier conference and better players.

Redhogs

‏@LonghornNetwork

Bring Charlie Home
Didn't he have a better record at Texas than B ert since he's been here?  If not, I bet it's close.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

007 License To Squeal

‏@LonghornNetwork

Bring Charlie Home

Noooooooooo!  Pure stupidity to hire him at any position.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

swineology

He should be hired to replace Robb Smith

jm

I don't know that we can do any better. We have some guys on this staff that have an incredible resume. It should be working better than it is.

longpig

Sapping Longhorn football for 25 mil + before it's all said and done. Well played fellow Arkansan, well played.   ::hornsdown:: ;D :razorback:
Don't be scared, be smart.

grayhawg

Quote from: Redhogs on November 26, 2016, 09:55:25 am
Didn't he have a better record at Texas than B ert since he's been here?  If not, I bet it's close.
Bielema is 25 and 25. One of those will be a 26 after bowl game

If we had a Head Coach who was good at interaction with the players and coaches, worked his rear off, and used the time allotted to our best advantage, we would be a better team with exactly what we got right now.  The Arkansas fanbase is accused of being difficult but in the end, we keep dogs far longer than we should.  We will keep this one in the same manner because we gave him way too much to start with.

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on November 26, 2016, 09:55:25 am

16-21, so no.

jkstock04

‏@LonghornNetwork

Bring Charlie Home
Absolutely. Because he was able to do so much with all those 4 & 5 star players at Texas we should bring him here.

I'll pass.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: grayhawg on November 26, 2016, 09:53:21 am
Bring Charlie home? His record is worse than Bielema's in an easier conference and better players.

I don't think Strong's time at Texas can be evaluated objectively because a significant portion of the PTB were set on making his time there as short as possible and he had no strong AD to protect him.  Being UT's coach is more politics than football and the worse that can be said about Strong is that he showed poor judgement ot taking the job.

His time at Florida and Louisville are more relevant to what he would likely do at Arkansas.  At UF he proved he can coach D in the SEC and at Louisville he proved he can recruit in a place with few recruits.  That's pretty good qualifications to be DC at Arkansas.

razrmatt

Big difference in being a head coach and having to oversee all elements of the team, on and off the field  than it is having no other focus than just one side of the ball. The man has proven he can coach defense.

And no, i'm not saying we should, could, or will hire him. But to think he can't coach defense just because he sucked as head coach at Texas is incorrect. 

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 26, 2016, 10:17:07 am
Absolutely. Because he was able to do so much with all those 4 & 5 star players at Texas we should bring him here.

I'll pass.

Redhogs

Quote from: 12247 on November 26, 2016, 10:09:33 am
If we had a Head Coach who was good at interaction with the players and coaches, worked his rear off, and used the time allotted to our best advantage, we would be a better team with exactly what we got right now.  The Arkansas fanbase is accused of being difficult but in the end, we keep dogs far longer than we should.  We will keep this one in the same manner because we gave him way too much to start with.
Great post.

Redhogs

Quote from: grayhawg on November 26, 2016, 10:00:12 am
Bielema is 25 and 25. One of those will be a 26 after bowl game
Thanks. 6-6 average...awesome.

jgphillips3

He would be an immediate upgrade at DC over what we have and has recruiting ties in Florida and Texas.  Yeah...why would we want that?

hogfanmd

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 26, 2016, 10:33:09 am
He would be an immediate upgrade at DC over what we have and has recruiting ties in Florida and Texas.  Yeah...why would we want that?

I think he would do well and he is from arkansas. 

TX HOG

Strong would be an upgrade in coaching since he'd be solely devoted/concentrated on defense.

Strong would be a better recruiter than what we have.

Hogs958

he is a hell of a DC. People have short memories.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

TX HOG

navyhog24

Quote from: Lanny on November 26, 2016, 10:52:20 am
Anyone ready for a new DC

More like ready for a new head coach, but we know that pipe dream ain't happening either

Hawghiggs

Who off of the Texas staff comes with Charlie?

WashUhog6

I'm definitely ready for a new DC, and Charlie would be dream come true for me. But I fear we're using Robb Smith as the scapegoat when the real problem is the guy over his head.

harrisburghog

Pass on Strong. I think he sits for a while anyway.

longpig

Redhogs

tmac72

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 26, 2016, 10:26:43 am
His time at Florida and Louisville are more relevant to what he would likely do at Arkansas.  At UF he proved he can coach D in the SEC and at Louisville he proved he can recruit in a place with few recruits.  That's pretty good qualifications to be DC at Arkansas.

^This. He would be an upgrade at DC, no doubt.

buldozer

I like him and hope we hire him for $1 a year for the first two years so he can draw that entire $15M from the University of Texas while he recruits that state hard for us!

Richard_white

Strong is a great recruiter.  Something we need.

TX HOG

Quote from: Richard_white on November 26, 2016, 11:02:16 am

Bring in some FL athletes.

hawgmasta

Yeah and I'm not so sure he suddenly forgot how to recruit and coach defense. He did it extremely well at Florida and Louisville; I think the good ole boy network and pressure from such a ridiculously high standard at Texas got to him.

ckhawgu

RS needs to go if that is all his schemes can bring to the table! Pathetic coaching job this year on the D side all the way around...

lynbug

And he's an Arkansas guy.

TX HOG

Wonder if "Bring Charlie Home" shirts are already being made

ricepig

hogcard1964

Quote from: grayhawg on November 26, 2016, 09:53:21 am

He's not going to be our head coach ..... (immediately)

longpig

Quote from: hawgmasta on November 26, 2016, 11:04:47 am
Yeah and I'm not so sure he suddenly forgot how to recruit and coach defense. He did it extremely well at Florida and Louisville; I think the good ole boy network and pressure from such a ridiculously high standard at Texas got to him.

Charlie's spartan blue collar coaching style clashed with UT culture. 

TX HOG

Quote from: longpig on November 26, 2016, 11:10:46 am
Charlie's spartan blue collar coaching style clashed with UT culture. 

Yeah. Bad mix.

onebadrubi

Charlie Strong only does this program good if he guarantees us 2 years minimum, we really need 3 out of him though. 

TX HOG

I wonder if he now feels like DC is his game.

longpig

Quote from: ckhawgu on November 26, 2016, 11:04:50 am
RS needs to go if that is all his schemes can bring to the table! Pathetic coaching job this year on the D side all the way around...

Enos failed yesterday more so than Smith. 

TX HOG

So I assume Charlie grew up a Razorback fan?

3kgthog

If we don't think Charlie could improve on that terrible statistic someone found based on the last 17 years, we just need to fold the program and go whole Hog on basketball and baseball.

Besides, what two "doing it the right way" coaches are going to see more eye to eye than BB and CS? Jeff would love him.

The Hawg Marshal

I'm no expert and I'm not against Strong per-Se. But his heyday as a DC was before everybody was running this spread offense stuff. His Texas teams struggled defending it. Again I may be wrong but in my opinion hiring Strong is iffy at best.

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on November 26, 2016, 11:20:01 am
Enos failed yesterday more so than Smith. 

Most fail to understand this, it's very simple. They weren't Florida on offense, they could move the ball and score during the year.