Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Reeves

Started by hogman99, November 23, 2016, 11:41:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogman99

Watching him play now. He's tall, quick, can jump, shoots well, can handle the ball, blocks out, understands how to hedge and recover, passes well and doesn't turn the ball over.  I guess his defense isn't up to par for fastest40. The Hogs defense is so stellar you sure can't put a guy in there like him to give up easy baskets.  ::)

Danny J

I wanted him but not sure he would qualify in the sec as far as grades and classes. Would have loved to get him and put Manny back as a walk on.

FineAsSwine

Recruiting is going so well for the next 3 seasons that Austin Reeves is just a blip in our rear view mirror. He wouldn't make us better this year and there isn't a need for him on this team going forward.

We need a big behind Kingsley. This is our problem. Hope we get one this spring bc Thompson doesn't appear to be the guy right now.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 23, 2016, 11:56:00 am
Recruiting is going so well for the next 3 seasons that Austin Reeves is just a blip in our rear view mirror. He wouldn't make us better this year and there isn't a need for him on this team going forward.

We need a big behind Kingsley. This is our problem. Hope we get one this spring bc Thompson doesn't appear to be the guy right now.

I agree. I was hoping that Thompson would make a jump but judging from the games this season we are need of some low post scoring.

hogman99

I guess my point was here is a guy who is fundamentally sound the Hogs could use for 4 years. Wouldn't it be nice to know when he is on the floor he wouldn't get lost on defense or offense. Hell, he may be able to teach the other players some of that as well. He is the type of player that would be great with the so called big time recruits and would make them even more effective. Basketball is a game of skill and fundamentals; athletes who excel in these are fantastic, but ones who aren't get frustrated which leads to sloppy play.

spahoopsfan

Just to clarify, that is your opinion.  After the game last night where no one on the Arkansas team looked anything near like a quality player you could find some argument.  Even though I think the biggest thing last night was how poor our offense and defensive scheme works.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogman99 on November 23, 2016, 12:07:56 pm
I guess my point was here is a guy who is fundamentally sound the Hogs could use for 4 years. Wouldn't it be nice to know when he is on the floor he wouldn't get lost on defense or offense. Hell, he may be able to teach the other players some of that as well. He is the type of player that would be great with the so called big time recruits and would make them even more effective. Basketball is a game of skill and fundamentals; athletes who excel in these are fantastic, but ones who aren't get frustrated which leads to sloppy play.

Not sure he could get minutes over the guards we have coming in and no way he gets any of Hannahs' minutes this year.

Otis

Quote from: hogman99 on November 23, 2016, 11:41:40 am
Watching him play now. He's tall, quick, can jump, shoots well, can handle the ball, blocks out, understands how to hedge and recover, passes well and doesn't turn the ball over.  I guess his defense isn't up to par for fastest40. The Hogs defense is so stellar you sure can't put a guy in there like him to give up easy baskets.  ::)

Because that's way he's coached at Wichita st.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Otis on November 23, 2016, 12:27:30 pm
Because that's way he's coached at Wichita st.

Apparently, that's where Hunter Mickelson should have gone instead of wasting his time with CMA and Bill Self.

Otis

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 23, 2016, 12:33:36 pm
Apparently, that's where Hunter Mickelson should have gone instead of wasting his time with CMA and Bill Self.

Hunter was taught those things at kansas

hogman99

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 23, 2016, 12:24:04 pm
Not sure he could get minutes over the guards we have coming in and no way he gets any of Hannahs' minutes this year.

Yep CMA wouldn't play him, but it wouldn't be because he isn't good enough. Reeves chose the program where could excel and go to the NCAA tournament on a regular basis. CMA chose to continue #fastest40  :-\ and a 500 team, oh well. However, there is always next year.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogman99 on November 23, 2016, 12:40:18 pm
Yep CMA wouldn't play him, but it wouldn't be because he isn't good enough. Reeves chose the program where could excel and go to the NCAA tournament on a regular basis. CMA chose to continue #fastest40  :-\ and a 500 team, oh well. However, there is always next year.

Good luck to Austin, guess KJ Hill did the same.

Dr. Starcs

Wichita can keep him, but send us Greg Marshall?

hogman99

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 23, 2016, 12:58:05 pm
Wichita can keep him, but send us Greg Marshall?

That won't happen, but maybe one of his assistants would like the opportunity.

ricepig

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 23, 2016, 12:46:06 pm
Good luck to Austin, guess KJ Hill did the same.

Big difference, one had an offer, one didn't.

ballinhog

Austin Reaves, Malik Monk, and Eric Curry.

It hurts so good. Oh and Nick Babb

Let's just hope C.J. Jones ain't the next Babb. It's starting out the same

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ballinhog on November 23, 2016, 01:19:01 pm
Austin Reaves, Malik Monk, and Eric Curry.

It hurts so good. Oh and Nick Babb

Let's just hope C.J. Jones ain't the next Babb. It's starting out the same

Whitt?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 01:23:26 pm
Whitt?

Whitt actually played and started.  Babb rode the bench. MA would tall about how great Babb was doing in practice and how he was going to get him into the rotation and never did.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 23, 2016, 01:30:29 pm
Whitt actually played and started.  Babb rode the bench. MA would tall about how great Babb was doing in practice and how he was going to get him into the rotation and never did.

I thought he was just doing a "lost" list. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 01:33:24 pm
I thought he was just doing a "lost" list. 

He may have been. The Jones situation is starting out like the Nick Babb one.  Can't keep losing out on state talent for one and two need to keep kids in the system. Losing two talented guards in back to back years hurts. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 23, 2016, 01:59:13 pm
He may have been. The Jones situation is starting out like the Nick Babb one.  Can't keep losing out on state talent for one and two need to keep kids in the system. Losing two talented guards in back to back years hurts.

Yes, attrition has been a real bummer. Lets hope Jones helps us this year and also sees what Babb didn't, a huge hole in the depth chart of experience guards in 2 years.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 23, 2016, 01:59:13 pm

Losing 3 instate 5 star players to out of state schools is what is hurting this Hog basketball program. If Mike is ever going to be successful here, that has to stop.

That being said, I'm not ready to talk about whether Mike should be fired or not. It's too early in the season and there are a lot of games left.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on November 23, 2016, 06:07:36 pm
Losing 3 instate 5 star players to out of state schools is what is hurting this Hog basketball program. If Mike is ever going to be successful here, that has to stop.

If you look at the 2017, 2018 and 2019 classes, it's obvious CMA has stopped losing top instate talent.

Danny J

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 23, 2016, 06:40:20 pm
If you look at the 2017, 2018 and 2019 classes, it's obvious CMA has stopped losing top instate talent.
And this team has talent...I would take our talent top to bottom over at least 12 and maybe 13 other SEC schools. The only team with unquestionably more talent is UK...after that I think we are right there with UF and LSU and aTm.

Talent is not a problem this year. Will take some time to come together especially on D.

Porked Tongue

I said it last year, Mike's ceiling is too low.

Meaning when he hits his peak, it's not really high enough given prior lows.

What buys him time is his floor is usually high.  Meaning when he's down he avoids being really down.

It's consistent mediocrity when looked at over longer periods of time.   

(notOM)Rebel123

Reeves had academic issues. Pretty simple. He was offered the opportunity to walk on & earn a scholarship, but chose WSU.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Danny J

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 23, 2016, 09:40:11 pm
I said it last year, Mike's ceiling is too low.

Meaning when he hits his peak, it's not really high enough given prior lows.

What buys him time is his floor is usually high.  Meaning when he's down he avoids being really down.

It's consistent mediocrity when looked at over longer periods of time.
I can agree with this. I think he would be best served to bring in somebody as an assistant who really understands defense, can help teach the players and he can seek advice from during a game. I know that's not going to happen but would be nice if it would.

nwahogfan1

I agree we need more bigs.  I think we need to keep at least 4 true 4s and 5s on the roster at all times instead of so many 3s who have to play the 4 spot and Moses who is more of a 4 who has to play the 5.  We need some muscle and some physical toughness down there for rebounds and low post points.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on November 23, 2016, 10:42:03 pm
I can agree with this. I think he would be best served to bring in somebody as an assistant who really understands defense, can help teach the players and he can seek advice from during a game. I know that's not going to happen but would be nice if it would.

You are right Mike needs help on teaching hedging and recovery real bad. I hate to see a big lumbering Thompson switching on a high pick and left guarding a PG while our PG is guarding a big man on the low block.  STUPID.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: hogman99 on November 23, 2016, 11:41:40 am

That ship has sailed move on already....
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

WADHOG

If he would've been from little rock or some "urban" school he would've been offered.  The ship that has sailed is Arkansas basketball.  We'll all be satisfied with a tourney invite this year which says a lot.  I watched this kid live numerous times and yes he would take Hannah's minutes.  Are you kidding me?  Watch his highlights.  Don't tell me about his competition.  He did it against everyone in the NEA at ASU.  They couldn't guard him.  Crucify me, but he could start right now for us and be a huge impact player.  That's a fact.  I love Mike and have been an advocate since day one, but he ain't the guy.

ricepig

Quote from: WADHOG on November 24, 2016, 07:43:31 am
If he would've been from little rock or some "urban" school he would've been offered.  The ship that has sailed is Arkansas basketball.  We'll all be satisfied with a tourney invite this year which says a lot.  I watched this kid live numerous times and yes he would take Hannah's minutes.  Are you kidding me?  Watch his highlights.  Don't tell me about his competition.  He did it against everyone in the NEA at ASU.  They couldn't guard him.  Crucify me, but he could start right now for us and be a huge impact player.  That's a fact.  I love Mike and have been an advocate since day one, but he ain't the guy.

Lol, like anyone plays in the NEA tourney. Who, VV??

bollweevilhog

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2016, 07:45:59 am
Lol, like anyone plays in the NEA tourney. Who, VV??

The East Arkansas stud teams of old like Blytheville, West Memphis, Jonesboro don't exist anymore.

hogman99

Quote from: Jonteviosk on November 24, 2016, 01:46:26 am
That ship has sailed move on already....

I am moving on, but CMA doesn't need to let the next ship sail.

ricepig

Quote from: bollweevilhog on November 24, 2016, 07:52:26 am
The East Arkansas stud teams of old like Blytheville, West Memphis, Jonesboro don't exist anymore.

Jonesboro has been rated as one of the top teams in the state for the past 4 or 5 years. They just don't play in the NEA tournament, they go somewhere out of state to play during the break. The tournament is now for 2A thru 5A schools, who like to shop in Jonesboro, haha.

WADHOG

Quote from: bollweevilhog on November 24, 2016, 07:52:26 am
He dropped 70+ on Forrest City who won the 5a but what do I know.  Ricepig is a god.

Atlhogfan1

November 24, 2016, 01:48:32 pm #36 Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:10:51 pm by Atlhogfan1
Playing Lou now. Lou length and defense is impressive again. Love their zone with that length.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogman99 on November 24, 2016, 08:05:03 am
I am moving on, but CMA doesn't need to let the next ship sail.

If the next ship can get eligible academically, I'd venture a guess & say that Mike will offer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: WADHOG on November 24, 2016, 01:43:48 pm
He dropped 70+ on Forrest City who won the 5a but what do I know.  Ricepig is a god.

It was a 3-OT game with Cedar Ridge winning 117-115. RJ Glasper had 59 for Forrest City. Reeves had surgery for a torn labrum last spring. FWIW

But 73 is 73 no matter how you slice it. He averaged 32 pts/game as a Sr. Too bad he didn't do what he needed to do in the classroom. People are upset at Mike, heck, both of his parents played basketball at ASU and the Wolves couldn't land him.

ricepig

Quote from: WADHOG on November 24, 2016, 01:43:48 pm

I didn't realize FC played in the NEA tournament, which was what we were chatting about. I blame his parents, they wouldn't let him transfer to Jonesboro for his SR year, we would have gotten him eligible. He wanted to come, but they nixed it.

And probably more like omnipotent.

(notOM)Rebel123

Reeves went for 73 vs. FC in the Barry Pruitt Hurricane Classic.

WADHOG

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 24, 2016, 06:04:34 pm
Thanks for confirming he dropped 70+ on the 5a state champs.  The crux of this thread is he was plenty good enough to be a hog and the grades excuse was just that. 

Porked Tongue

Quote from: WADHOG on November 24, 2016, 06:13:59 pm
Thanks for confirming he dropped 70+ on the 5a state champs.  The crux of this thread is he was plenty good enough to be a hog and the grades excuse was just that. 
The grade excuse is legit though.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 24, 2016, 06:04:34 pm

Which wasn't ever questioned, saw it, or the last half and OT's.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: WADHOG on November 24, 2016, 06:13:59 pm

No. The grade issue was real. Every time a kid signs with another school, people start playing "what if". What's it matter? He could have been a Hog if he had wanted to be. Mike gave him the opportunity to walk on.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2016, 06:47:46 pm
Which wasn't ever questioned, saw it, or the last half and OT's.
I thought WAD was saying it was in the NEA. But after Reeves had those 3 great games in the NEA, he publicly stated that he couldn't believe ASU didn't offer him on the spot.
Geez.

WADHOG

Yeah like Kapita's were an issue.  Get real.  He was a country cracker from Newark.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: WADHOG on November 24, 2016, 06:54:24 pm
Yeah like Kapita's were an issue.  Get real.  He was a country cracker from Newark.

You are wrong. His grades, mainly ACT score, were a major issue. I have a very reliabe source that was very close to CRHS. Sorry that doesn't fit your agenda.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: WADHOG on November 24, 2016, 06:54:24 pm
Not comparable.  Hogs were in desperation mode on him and unrealistic in their exposure.

ricepig

So, should Crockett and Revees be the new Non-Arkansas Vice?