Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball recruiting 2006 Update:

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, May 11, 2005, 05:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

May 11, 2005, 05:08:16 pm Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 10:40:04 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Here is who the coaches have serious interest also their interest level in Us: 

LOW INTEREST -

Mike Conely Jr. -
He seems to be a mystery of sorts....in the early recruiting process Arkansas was thought to be a serious contender but following the fall of 04' it was soon revealed that his intentions were otherwise and was very focused on Wake Forest as the early front runner and potential suitor.  What has changed is Daequan Cook (Conley's Teamate) committed to Thad Matta head coach of Ohio St.  Now I will say that its 80% Ohio St 15% Wake &  5% others listed (Indiana, Illinois, Arkansas etc..)

Jason Bennett -
Arkansas interest over the past 6 months seems to have cooled substantly with the addition of 3 Center's in Townes, Hill and now McGowan. He was thought to be a lock for the Gators for sometime but with other schools showing interest after decent AAU showings due to added focus on the weight room and on the court.  Last year he was thought to be a Mamouth size project who's size was his only as-sett.  Now he has offers from Arizona, Cincy, and quite a few other National level programs.

MEDIUM INTEREST -  HIGH INTEREST

Derrick Jasper -
He is the newest recruit to express interest in coach Heath & the program.  Most of this can be contributed to his recent visit to the Hill while participating in the Real Deal Tourney.   Southern Cal seems to be the leader for his services but I would attribute that to being his only scholie offer at this time.  He is considered by rivals to be one of the best 2-3 Point Guards in the Nation.

Willie Kemp -
This appears to be a 2 team battle between Arkansas and Illinois.  Although his childhood favorite is Kentucky their lack of serious interest has not gone un-noticed. 

Marcus Lawrence -
Arkansas seems to be leading hometown UNLV & Oregon St.  for his services.

Stefan Welsh -
He seems to be headed to Xavier from all accounts with many suitors being listed.

Harrison Smith -
This name may be unfamiliar to Hog fans but a former teamate was heavily persued in Daniel Gibson. (UT Sophomore)  He is considered a top 10 Basketball prospect in the state of Texas (March 05') Appears to be wide open at this point.

Jodie Meeks -
Will probably come down to 3 SEC west programs that have offered in Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn. (Colorado & Clemson have also offered)

Marques Johnson -
Seems to have narrowed his list down to 3 (Arkansas, Georgetown, Georgia Tech) He is also a former participant of the Real Deal Tourney.

Ramar Smith -
His top 3 are Arkansas, UConn, Michigan St (He loves Fayetteville)

An'Juan Wilderness -
His top 2 appear to be Arkansas & FSU.  He is also a former participant of the Real Deal Tourney.

Sonny Weems -
Has numerous offers pouring in and he is enjoying the recruiting process but I suspect the former West Memphis star will end up deciding between  Kansas & Arkansas  (Bill Self is really persuing this kid hard as he is a clone of Ronnie Brewer Jr.)

Mike Jones -
Yet another SG/SF type player that is wide open at this time. 

Alex Tyus -
Arkansas is the new kid on the block for this recruit and he appears to be wide open.

Thaddeus Young -
His only official visit has been to Arkansas (Midnight Maddness & The Real Deal) he has stated while in attendance of the Real Deal "He can see himself playing here"

Pierre Niles -
Fell inlove with the facilities according to reports given to reporters on hand at the Real Deal tourney. He has Arkansas & Tennessee as his leaders. 

Wayne Chism -
Considered one of the top 50 players in America.  Arkansas leads for his services.

Micheal Washington -
Considered to be one of the top 1-3 players in the state of Texas before his Senior season ends.  He would love to come back to his homestate and play with his old AAU friends.

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN:

Greg Oden -
Has stated repeatedly that he has intentions of attending college but with most projecting him as a lottery pick I would say its between the LA Clippers & NY Knicks  :-X
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Galleywinter

Good Stuff. Well presented. The Jasper kid is a new name for me. He would be nice. Judging by others recruiting them. Most sound like good choices. Cant always judge by that I know. Sounds good though.

tophawg19

heath could save himself even after a break even year by landing a class made up of these guys .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogfan98

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 11, 2005, 05:35:15 pm
heath could save himself even after a break even year by landing a class made up of these guys .

i completely agree.  even with a par season next year, if he signs the class that is shaping up, broyles would have a hard time letting him go for fear of losing these potentially great recruits.  i disagree with all this talk of ncaa or bust for him next year.  while i want us there, i don't think any of us would want to risk what happened when richardson was fired, which was the class falling apart (by that, i mean no iguodala).  make the post season and reel in a killer class and his job is saved for another year.  of course, the next year the pressure will really be on.

my list:  kemp, weems, wilderness, r. smith, young. 

that class would save his job for sure.  does anyone know if we could realistically grab that class?  also, are any of them risks to flirt with the nba?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogfan98 on May 11, 2005, 08:29:24 pm
Quote from: tophawg19 on May 11, 2005, 05:35:15 pm

i completely agree. even with a par season next year, if he signs the class that is shaping up, broyles would have a hard time letting him go for fear of losing these potentially great recruits. i disagree with all this talk of ncaa or bust for him next year. while i want us there, i don't think any of us would want to risk what happened when richardson was fired, which was the class falling apart (by that, i mean no iguodala). make the post season and reel in a killer class and his job is saved for another year. of course, the next year the pressure will really be on.

my list: kemp, weems, wilderness, r. smith, young.

that class would save his job for sure. does anyone know if we could realistically grab that class? also, are any of them risks to flirt with the nba?

The NBA will have established a age limit before the summer ends that probably won't effect the 05' Class (which is rather weak) but definatly the 06' Class which is really loaded.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Galleywinter

I don't know about you gentlemen. But I love that rule. I think it's great for college BB. Talent should go up. Not big on the NBA. I have been enjoying watching Joe Johnson in the play-offs.

tophawg19

it's going to be a good thing . at first i had doubts because of kids who don't have grades to go to college but with the NBA developement league that took care of that problem.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: Galleywinter on May 11, 2005, 08:48:11 pm
I don't know about you gentlemen. But I love that rule. I think it's great for college BB. Talent should go up. Not big on the NBA. I have been enjoying watching Joe Johnson in the play-offs.

Yeah, i think the rule would really help college hoops.  I have to give Stan credit too, it seems like we are always right there at the top of the list with top recruits every year that he has been here.

pioneerhog

By reading this post I can see one thing, the Real Deal Tourney was a very good thing for Hog basketball.

Patch

Quote from: pioneerhog on May 11, 2005, 10:24:05 pm
By reading this post I can see one thing, the Real Deal Tourney was a very good thing for Hog basketball.

Is the Real Deal going to be an Annual event, or was it a one time thing?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Patch on May 12, 2005, 11:10:48 am

Every year my friend and the event will grow each year in popularity as word gets out about our campus.  Its the equivilant to have 200+ Unofficial visit from the best Juniors and Sophmores in the Nation.  Think about it this past season's best sophmore's will be making their 2nd Unofficial visit in 10 months :)  That's a huge advantage over the North Carolina's & Kansas of the world.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

tophawg19

fayetteville needs to go all out to build up around this event . make it a party like atmosphere by getting the town and surrounding communities involved . make some type of festival out of it to draw as many people as possible .

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on May 11, 2005, 05:08:16 pm
Mike Jones -

I say we not sign this guy, for karmic reasons.
[CENSORED]!

Patch

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on May 12, 2005, 11:19:32 am
Quote from: Patch on May 12, 2005, 11:10:48 am

Every year my friend and the event will grow each year in popularity as word gets out about our campus. Its the equivilant to have 200+ Unofficial visit from the best Juniors and Sophmores in the Nation. Think about it this past season's best sophmore's will be making their 2nd Unofficial visit in 10 months :) That's a huge advantage over the North Carolina's & Kansas of the world.

That's awesome. Maybe the UofA could host a similar 7on7 Football tournament at RRS, preferably at night with the PigScreen showing the action live so the kids can see themselves in the big time.

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 12, 2005, 01:13:38 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on May 11, 2005, 05:08:16 pm
Mike Jones -

I say we not sign this guy, for karmic reasons.

That's freaking funny! I was thinking the same thing! Heck, maybe we should sign him. He could redshirt, let him develop for say three plus years and by the time he starts to play — as senior — he can get hurt as well. Bring him on!

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

CarolinaHog1176

yea, it's nice to get all of these events going on at the UofA....  mostly because of all the b*#Lshit that gets spread about arkansas (hick state, imbred, etc.) when in fact northwest arkansas is one of the top places to live.  and once the "real deal" grows into a premier AAU tournament, all of the best talent in the region (nation?) will get to see it first hand... and in turn, will be able to debunk all that crap that probably gets said by other schools, other school's alum, etc.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on May 14, 2005, 05:12:01 pm
yea, it's nice to get all of these events going on at the UofA.... mostly because of all the b*#Lshit that gets spread about arkansas (hick state, imbred, etc.) when in fact northwest arkansas is one of the top places to live. and once the "real deal" grows into a premier AAU tournament, all of the best talent in the region (nation?) will get to see it first hand... and in turn, will be able to debunk all that crap that probably gets said by other schools, other school's alum, etc.

With the amount of Sophmores in attendence and the National TV exsposure you get when you start producing with those very recruits (Camron Indoor - Duke for example) you should not have to worry about that. ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*