Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marcus Raines Grabs Onto Second Chance (Rivals Article)

Started by CarolinaHog1176, April 18, 2005, 05:13:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Southern Miss Screwing The Pooch On This One?

YES
2 (11.8%)
NO
15 (88.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

CarolinaHog1176

I'm sure everybody remembers Mr. Raines... kicked the Shiite out of some dude at a high school party - the dude died - you know...

anyways, just read that he's given a verbal (for this coming season I'm suspecting) at Southern Miss.  here's his info on rivals

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=27610

so I guess the question is, is Southern Miss. making a mistake?  I'm putting in a vote for "NO" because I think that he knows that he's going to be watched a little bit more closely than any other athlete at that school... and if he truely isn't that person who killed a guy back in high school, then he should have no problem putting up with the subsequent pressure and scrutiny.  he's already been in a correctional facility so I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to do that again.

what do y'all think?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Jim Harris

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on April 18, 2005, 05:13:15 pm
I'm sure everybody remembers Mr. Raines... kicked the Shiite out of some dude at a high school party - the dude died - you know...

anyways, just read that he's given a verbal (for this coming season I'm suspecting) at Southern Miss.  here's his info on rivals

http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=27610

so I guess the question is, is Southern Miss. making a mistake?  I'm putting in a vote for "NO" because I think that he knows that he's going to be watched a little bit more closely than any other athlete at that school... and if he truely isn't that person who killed a guy back in high school, then he should have no problem putting up with the subsequent pressure and scrutiny.  he's already been in a correctional facility so I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to do that again.

what do y'all think?

he made a huge mistake, and it appears  he paid for it in the eyes of justice. Why would the penalty of not getting to play college football be added if he's already done his time?  I agree with you. No.
I also think, though, that some schools such as Arkansas, Tennessee and South Carolina need to pass on the player because of the stupid public relations crap that would follow. But there are lots of schools he could play for, and Southern Miss is a good stop for him. Hattiesburg shouldn't fear the kid. Conf.-USA teams should, though.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Pragmatic PiG

I don't know how this POS got off but he should be in prison

I am just glad the hogs backed off of him when they did, USM shoulda IMHO

hawgfan_18

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on April 19, 2005, 11:46:15 am

From what I remember reading about it, its not like he deliberately killed the guy. they got into a fight and raines kicked him in the head.  (if you've ever seen a fight darn like that happens) anyway the guy died a couple days later in the hospital.  they got raines on manslaughter and he served like 2 or 3 years in prison.  I think Southern Miss is doing a good thing for the guy.  I vote YES

Kilgor

He's paid his price.  I'm sure he's been told that if he wobbles from the line he is gone.

I hope it works out for him.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: hawgfan_18 on April 19, 2005, 12:01:46 pm
Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on April 19, 2005, 11:46:15 am

From what I remember reading about it, its not like he deliberately killed the guy. they got into a fight and raines kicked him in the head.  (if you've ever seen a fight Shiite like that happens) anyway the guy died a couple days later in the hospital.  they got raines on manslaughter and he served like 2 or 3 years in prison.  I think Southern Miss is doing a good thing for the guy.  I vote YES

oh my bad, he didn't deliberatelyy do it, Shiite he sure was done wrong having to serve any time for ENDING SOMEBODY'S LIFE.......
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

CarolinaHog1176

[quote author=Pragmatic PiG link=topic=19255.msg174765#msg174765
oh my bad, he didn't deliberatelyy do it, Shiite he sure was done wrong having to serve any time for ENDING SOMEBODY'S LIFE.......
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

darn man, you never know what could happen... all they're saying is that the guy is deserving of a second chance.  accidents happen.  I'm sure there isn't a day go by that he doesn't think about that guy and his family. 
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

notorious pig

I wish we would've taken a chance on him.  He looks like he has all the tools to be a big time player and if he slipped up, he'd get ass-raped by Herring...which probably wouldn't be anything new to him. 

Fletch

Quote from: notorious pig on April 20, 2005, 06:02:58 pm
I wish we would've taken a chance on him. He looks like he has all the tools to be a big time player and if he slipped up, he'd get ass-raped by Herring...which probably wouldn't be anything new to him.
That's just plain ignorant.
I feel like $100

Porquemada

Quote from: Fletch on April 20, 2005, 09:22:22 pm
I wish we would've taken a chance on him. He looks like he has all the tools to be a big time player and if he slipped up, he'd get ass-raped by Herring...which probably wouldn't be anything new to him.
That's just plain ignorant.
Consider the source.

pioneerhog

I read this story first on sportsline.com. I always thought that this guy would be good for a program that didn't get alot of top level recruits. He is suppose to be a very good football player, but just with a dark past, even though he didn't mean to kill him. He was at a party, drinking or smoking some pot I'm sure, him and some of his buddies got into a fight and the kid they got into a fight with died. Now how many of us in here has ever been in a fight? And when your actually in a fight do you actually know at the time everything your doing, I know I sure don't, that is why other people watching the fight usually break up the fight when someone has had enough. In the heat of the battle you don't really know when someone has had enough, your just fighting to keep your ass from being kicked. Now I am not saying what he did was right, but he has done his time, or at least what the state he was in thought was the just sentence, and now he is looking for his second chance. The coach of the JC he went to spoke very highly of this guy, and he has never had any other kind of a problem with the law. I am glad he got this chance to be on a D-1 football team, he is getting his second chance and if he screws up they just need to bury his ass under the jail and be done with him.

CarolinaHog1176

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE