Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC signees threatening to go pro out of high school

Started by Biggus Piggus, April 10, 2005, 05:07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Louis Williams of Gwinnett, Ga., and Monta Ellis of Jackson, Miss., have not formally declared for the NBA draft, but lots of people believe it's going to happen.  This might be as big a shame as Kelenna Azubuike, who with his heavily bribed parents ($50K cash) bought a bill of goods from a sleazy two-bit agent + decided to leave Kentucky early.

Williams and Ellis showed little in the McD's and Hoop Summit practices and games.  They have Sebastian Telfair disease.  Telfair somehow fooled the Trail Blazers into taking him with the 13th pick of last year's draft.  Telfair was a street "legend" in NYC, carrying enough name to finagle a $15 million deal out of Adidas prior to his first pro game.

Telfair rates 14th among rookies in points per 48 minutes, he shoots a lot more often than he should given his poor marksmanship, contributes little on defense, doesn't rank in the top 20 in efficiency (a stat measure of total game), and he leads all rookies in turnovers, but still he's second among rookies in assists per 48 minutes.  Not a total dud, and he's rich.

Williams and Ellis rightly look at Telfair, conclude he has no more game than they do, and assume they should go pro.  Lots of blood-suckers out there to agree with them too.

Some scouts were sucked in by the gaudy stats, north of 30 ppg, that Williams and Ellis ran up against small town competition.  They showed in the all-star games that they need a lot more work against talented opponents.  They made supposed mortals, bound for college, look great against them.

I'm not sure how much Georgia and MSU would be losing if these two take the stupid leap.  If they go to school, well, they've already brushed this close to fame and fortune; how can they take school seriously now?  Every game will be a pro audition, a quest for stats.

Both teams badly need guard help, and that's why Dennis Felton at UGa recruited a couple more than just Williams, and Rick Stansbury got Reginald and Richard Delk, 6-5 twins.  Even if their stars don't show up, Georgia and Mississippi State will have two new guards apiece for next season.
[CENSORED]!

WindyCityHog

I sincerely hope the NBA adopts a minimum-age requirement.  I love college basketball....and I'm tired of seeing kids leaving straight for the NBA....It would only help the college game.

Other than the NJ kid, are the Hogs truly looking for more in the PG arena?  I have visions of Heath finding another obscure JUCO that brings absolutely nothing to the table......

CarolinaHog1176

does it not sound like Bassett was Heath's first (and possibly ONLY) choice to give the other scholarship to?  I guess Rush would definitely deserve it too, but why bring in another marginal PG to take up a scholarship that we could use in '06?  with the '06 class getting all of the hype as being one of the best classes in this area, I'd probably have to put that scholarship in my pocket and wait.  I'm sure that Heath's thought about that, but I'm also sure that he's beginning to feel the pressure of maybe not being around to see the '06 class... so he's trying to find ANYBODY who can help us next year.  I think that we'll be alright at PG.  Ferguson will be a senior, Brewer can play it, and then we'll have McCurdy.  it'd be nice to get the ball to Brewer on the wing but he's an excellent passer too
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Biggus Piggus

Azubuike's father is in jail and faces restitution payments he can't make.  That's why Azubuike left.  They were desperate.  It's a big shame, because he's probably leaving far more money on the table than he might have made with another year in college.
[CENSORED]!

SonOfMud

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 12, 2005, 09:26:36 am
Azubuike's father is in jail and faces restitution payments he can't make. That's why Azubuike left. They were desperate. It's a big shame, because he's probably leaving far more money on the table than he might have made with another year in college.

Be surprised if the kid even gets drafted.  One commentator said he better like playing overseas, because his game isn't near NBA ready.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Biggus Piggus

That was the thought, that he needed money so bad he was willing to go to Europe.  I'm not sure he can even do that.  This agent he got, though, what a crud.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on April 11, 2005, 06:31:39 am
does it not sound like Bassett was Heath's first (and possibly ONLY) choice to give the other scholarship to? I guess Rush would definitely deserve it too, but why bring in another marginal PG to take up a scholarship that we could use in '06? with the '06 class getting all of the hype as being one of the best classes in this area, I'd probably have to put that scholarship in my pocket and wait. I'm sure that Heath's thought about that, but I'm also sure that he's beginning to feel the pressure of maybe not being around to see the '06 class... so he's trying to find ANYBODY who can help us next year. I think that we'll be alright at PG. Ferguson will be a senior, Brewer can play it, and then we'll have McCurdy. it'd be nice to get the ball to Brewer on the wing but he's an excellent passer too

Carolina, even a "marginal" point guard at this point who can deliver the basketball and lead the team would be better than what's available. Why would a coach wait to 06  when there might not be an O6, especially with a 05-06 roster spot available?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson