Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mustain Taking Early Look At Arkansas

Started by Hogstradamus, April 05, 2005, 06:51:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogstradamus

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."  -- Lou Holtz

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games." -- Paul Bear Bryant

3kgthog

Visiting Texas eh?  :o I'm surprised some people aren't all over Mustain for even considering it. 

Come on Mitch. Look at the team colors buddy.  Do you really want to look like a glass of orange juice somebody took a crap in?  You've got to think about these things. 

SonOfMud

Could see it coming down to Michigan, Arkansas, and Texas.  Michigan doesn't have a great history of throwing the ball, but they do get qbs into the league.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

The_Bionic_Pig

April 05, 2005, 08:30:41 am #3 Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 08:32:17 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: SonOfMud on April 05, 2005, 08:09:57 am
Could see it coming down to Michigan, Arkansas, and Texas. Michigan doesn't have a great history of throwing the ball, but they do get qbs into the league.

Michigan's starting QB is only a Sophmore and has put out phenominal numbers...he's probably  locked down the starting job until he either graduates or jumps early into the draft.

If Texas gets a committ out of either Strafford or Snead they will cool very quickly because they have used over half of their scholies for the upcoming class - 15 Committments ALREADY
   :o 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Ben Steiger

That does sound good for the Hogs (in regard to Texas).

Perhaps HDN can grab all those Springdale boys.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Amityvillehogger

Hopefully!  Wouldnt mind having L.T. Walker either, but some say thats a lost cause.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

The_Bionic_Pig

LT Walker Wynne H.S.  at the present moment is sitting on 1 scholorship offer and we all know the reasoning behind that - He has hinted toward Arkansas which has caused a lot of programs to not persue him too hard.  If any school would be trying to pluck him outta their it would be Memphis (recent success with DeAngelo Williams)  I think this will come down to Arkansas & LSU (he attended camp their last year) 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hawgfan_18

isn't he going to camp down there again this year?

This upcoming class could be the one that helps turn this arkansas program into a powerhouse.

hawgfan_18

I think our talent level is going up, especially after the last two classes.  2004 class was HDN's best.  With the probation and the fact that we weren't all that successful, hopefully with the new talent we can have a great year in a year or two, meaning 10 games or more.  That will be the turning point for this program in the upward direction.

hawgfan_18

we were able to win 8 and 9 games pretty much ever year with the talent we had. now our talent level is on the upward swing, surely HDN can bring us a 10 win season.

SonOfMud

Quote from: hawgfan_18 on April 05, 2005, 10:04:05 pm
we were able to win 8 and 9 games pretty much ever year with the talent we had. now our talent level is on the upward swing, surely HDN can bring us a 10 win season.

Maybe in 8 more years he'll really hit his stride.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

tophawg19

our talent is getting better but so is just about everyone inthe SEC .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Bionic_Pig

April 06, 2005, 01:16:04 pm #12 Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 01:19:29 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: tophawg19 on April 06, 2005, 10:01:10 am
our talent is getting better but so is just about everyone inthe SEC .

Tophawg19  my friend, Not a more true'r has ever been made!!!  You got applauds for that.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

tophawg19

Thanks .i see a rise in promanance again by the sec .We are going to have to improve to stay even
good fan support could make a world of difference in keeping our instate kids . If you know them let them know you support them . No stalking please ,

hawgfan_18

I said 2004 class... and that would be the class with Hillis and Monk in it. You're thinking of the 2005 class.  See most of the 2004 class did just that and came in and contributed.

Gman

We can't afford to lose in-state talent like this.  Does anyone know if Mustain is from Arkansas or a transplant?

hawgfan_18

pretty sure he is originally from arkansas.

Porkahontas

Quote from: hawgfan_18 on April 07, 2005, 05:36:01 pm
owned!

I screwed up on the classes. you hear all about the guys we are recruiting throughout the year and forget that they are actually signed in Feb. of the following year.

That said, it's still too darn early to tell if the '04 class (even with it being a different class than the one I'm thinking of) will turn out to be the best class under Nutt. There's a lot more potential in that class than the one I referenced but we're not going to know for sure until these guys are juniors and seniors.

hawgfan_18

I was meaning it was probably his best to date.  But i don't know what the classes looked like in 99-01.

hawgfan_18

I'm guessing you're from Pocahontas, Porkahontas.?  If so do you know anything about Jim Hart the olinemen from Pokey.

Billy Bob Bacon

GoBlue has him ranked #2 in the nation good article about their top 10 national QB'S

http://michigan.scout.com/2/367650.html

Gman

#2 in the country?  Right here on our backdoor step.  Man it sure would be a shame to see him playing somewhere else.

CarolinaHog1176

with R. Johnson, A. Mortensen, C. Dick, (and L. Leach?) the scholarship QB's here, there's only a couple of choices that I see HDN having in regards to Mustain.

the first one is to guarantee that at least 1 QB will be cut (or moved to a new position) before next season.  I'm guessing Leach quits because of injury problems (or is asked to give up his scholarship) so that leaves us with 3 scholarship QB's.  with R. Johnson being a senior in '06 it's an option that Mustain redshirt in '06 and compete for the starting spot against A. Mortensen and C. Dick for the '07 season.

another option (the bolder one out of the two) would be to show him (which I'm sure he's seen for himself) what depth we have at QB and tell him that if he wants it, he's going to have to come in and take it.  if he truely loves the razorbacks and loves to compete, then he'll accept that challenge and put his name in the hat.

I guess the third option (and something that needs to happen anyways) would be to still recruit the hell out of him but continue to recruit our other top QB targets as well.  it won't sting quite (if at all) if Mustain decides to go somewhere else if we sign another top-notch QB.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

reddogfan

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on April 11, 2005, 05:10:56 pm
with R. Johnson, A. Mortensen, C. Dick, (and L. Leach?) the scholarship QB's here, there's only a couple of choices that I see HDN having in regards to Mustain.

the first one is to guarantee that at least 1 QB will be cut (or moved to a new position) before next season. I'm guessing Leach quits because of injury problems (or is asked to give up his scholarship) so that leaves us with 3 scholarship QB's. with R. Johnson being a senior in '06 it's an option that Mustain redshirt in '06 and compete for the starting spot against A. Mortensen and C. Dick for the '07 season.

another option (the bolder one out of the two) would be to show him (which I'm sure he's seen for himself) what depth we have at QB and tell him that if he wants it, he's going to have to come in and take it. if he truely loves the razorbacks and loves to compete, then he'll accept that challenge and put his name in the hat.

I guess the third option (and something that needs to happen anyways) would be to still recruit the hell out of him but continue to recruit our other top QB targets as well. it won't sting quite (if at all) if Mustain decides to go somewhere else if we sign another top-notch QB.
I don't think it is a stretch to assume all this has been done...except target another QB in the event he goes out of state. You have to assume that if he is spending his time and money to see other schools that he has a strong interest in going out of state.   Everyone will scream if he does, but you have to fault Arkansas for sitting on their hands and not going after any other top recruits like the other schools have done. 
Is that arrogance, or stupidity, OR does the staff just feel comfortable with what they have on campus, so if they don't land a good QB prospect this year, it will not hurt them in the long run?

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: reddogfan on April 12, 2005, 06:24:46 am
but you have to fault Arkansas for sitting on their hands and not going after any other top recruits like the other schools have done.
Is that arrogance, or stupidity, OR does the staff just feel comfortable with what they have on campus, so if they don't land a good QB prospect this year, it will not hurt them in the long run?

I think that they're looking to sign 1 QB in '06.... and their first choice is obviously Mustain.  if they fail to sign any QB's this year, in '06 we'll still have

R. Johnson (Jr-RS)
A. Mortensen (So-RS)
C. Barthel (So)
C. Dick (Fr-RS)        will probably RS in '05
C. Dayton (So-RS)   walk-on
C. Irwin (Fr-RS)       walk-on... will probably RS in '05, or switch positions, or both
L. Leach (Jr-RS)       if he's still here
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

tophawg19

we are also talking to 2 or 3 others 2 from texas although i don't think any offers have been made .

PennHOG

Could see it coming down to Michigan, Arkansas, and Texas. Michigan doesn't have a great history of throwing the ball, but they do get qbs into the league.

Didn't Tom Brady go to Michigan?  I'd say that worked out pretty good for him.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

tophawg19

MICH. has put several Q.Bs in the pros but few have done much . sounds familiar.

SonOfMud

Quote from: PennHOG on April 14, 2005, 10:09:31 am

Didn't Tom Brady go to Michigan? I'd say that worked out pretty good for him.

You know Michigan is known for being a smashmouth run it down your throat type of team, right?  But like I said, they still get kids into the league, Brady and Henson being a couple examples.  That is what is probably attractive to Mustain.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 14, 2005, 10:32:46 am
MICH. has put several Q.Bs in the pros but few have done much . sounds familiar.
Oh, I don't know, Joe Ferguson hung around a couple of years in the big dance. ;D
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

akp4105

i dont think mustain is gonna stick around..and damian is probably gone too..webb (the lineman from springdale) is the best bet to stay around and become a hog

hawgfan_18

OKhogfan1959

If Mitch Mustain does not become a Razorback it will be because of a lack of confidence in Nutt! Plain and simple he's at the games and he knows what kind of offense Nutt runs. If he doesn't think Nutt and Witke are good enough coaches to get him into the NFL he will go somewhere else. It looks like we're making strides in the Oline and at TE and WR. He would also attract some more good Wr prospects.

If Nutt loses Mustain it would be a devastating blow to the program IMHO> I have never seen so many bigtime programs recruiting heavily in this state. I don't think there's ever been this many top recruits in Arkansas. We missed a chance in Matts Jr year to turn this program around when we had the talent to do what Auburn did this year..

This is Nutts chance to make a jump..It's the one thing we all hear is Arkansas has a lack of HS talent. I'm telling you we're catching up in the weight room and in training in general to other states. This recruiting year is the chance to get back into at least at top 15-20 type program..I hope Nutt does a better job recruitng at home this year??????

Porkahontas

The irony of all this is that the QB Nutt has had for the past four years was a first round draft pick this year (given it was at a different position).

hawkeyefan17

Do you guys think that Matt Jones being a first round pick will help in Arkansas recruiting of Mitch Mustain?

tophawg19

not really they are different kinds of QB's can't hurt though .

OKhogfan1959

I think the offense we run will be the reason if we don't get Mustain. I sure do hope we get him! Just from reading the stuff coming from friends from Springdale, I don't think he will come to Arkansas. Hope I'm wrong! They seem to be looking for reasons to go out of state?

Hoggimistic

Quote from: OKhogfan1959 on May 02, 2005, 01:16:02 pm
I think the offense we run will be the reason if we don't get Mustain. I sure do hope we get him! Just from reading the stuff coming from friends from Springdale, I don't think he will come to Arkansas. Hope I'm wrong! They seem to be looking for reasons to go out of state?

It could prove that we are willing to adapt our offense to fit the best athlete at a given position. 

tophawg19

he has had time to look at our offense and decide if he can fit in .if he doesn't feel confident of
our offensive fit he needs to go somewhere else where he feels the fit is better .he has to think of his future 1st . but if that is the case i hope he don't lead ARK. ON till it's to late to get in on someone else .texas already signing 17 gives him a chance to look at who he would be teamed with and if they are a good fit it may be a deciding factor .also they haven't signed a QB. yet .